As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help me find 8-10 songs in this specific vein!

spool32spool32 Contrary LibraryRegistered User regular
Hey folks,

I am looking to find some very noir-ish jazz songs, at a relatively slow tempo, where the improvisational bits are not atonal, markedly off-rhythm, or very experimental at all. I'd prefer these to be instrumental only. Some examples:

These are both a little too quick in the tempo, but pretty close. More playful where I want slinky and dark. I'd love to have some more sax or big-bandish instrumentation too. Something such as:

Suggestions?

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

rRwz9.gif
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Fighting The Rising Odds Registered User, Moderator mod

Also Taxi Driver and some of Schifrin's other stuff.

Can't find links to the Guy Barker stuff I am thinking of, but its on his Amadeus Project collection.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    nope

Deebaser on
  • VanguardVanguard A wretched country of duskRegistered User, __BANNED USERS regular

maybe a little too fast in tempo

• metaghostmetaghost Registered User regular
    Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers' "When Love is New":

It doesn't carry any of the dark undertones that you might be looking for, but I'm not sure how common that vibe is/was outside of soundtracks. Regardless, a great ballad that might fit what you're looking for.

Wayne Shorter's "Dance Cadaverous":

Another ballad that carries a bit more mystery than the Art Blakey track. The piano solo might get a little too weird considering your desires, but that's for you to decide.

Grant Green's "Maybe Tomorrow":
    The vibes and heavily reverberate piano help push things even further into that noir-space, but the electric guitar (no matter how understated) might ruin the feel.

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    henry mancini's peter gunn soundtrack albums are worth a spin:

maybe a bit of coltrane could slip in:

some early herbie hancock:

are we on the right track?

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    The herbie hancock is excellent. Mancini was good too. Coltrane I love but I think he's a step beyond the melodic, dramatic air.

• grouch993grouch993 Registered User regular
    Vangelis sax piece from the Blade Runner soundtrack?

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • TheCanManTheCanMan Registered User regular
    You could try to throw one of the better implementations of exactly what you're looking for into Pandora and see what it spits back at you?

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    here's another mancini track that i noticed this week - should be perfect:

sC4Q4nq.jpg