As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Internet Dating] Bisexuals over 30 without smartphones are doomed. DOOOOOOMED!

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Kinda weird to be on the other side of the screen so to speak. I'm not really feeling a connection with keypad girl. I get short concise answers, I'm always asking questions and never answering any (she never asks any), we don't seem to have a whole lot in common either...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    I would love feedback on why somebody dosent like me.

But mostly Ive just had situations where someone was talking to me and then they completly shut me out of their life and never so much as hi to me again. So it would be nice to know why instead of just feeling depressed about it.

I havent even gotten to go on an offical date.

In my experience, there's no problem that rum can't fix.

On a more serious note though, just try to be the you that you want to be, and if that doesn't work on someone, then you probably didn't want to be with them anyway.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    So date tonight, kinda stoked. Going to see some live jazz and catch some drinks and maybe some food.

Edit: The hardest thing I'm worrying over is what I should wear. Right now, I'm thinking a nice dark pair of jeans, a grey collared dress shirt, and a black button up vest from one of my suits, with some nice black shoes. I've always been told it's better to overdress than underdress.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Evigilant wrote: »
    So date tonight, kinda stoked. Going to see some live jazz and catch some drinks and maybe some food.

That is all kinds of classy

• Options
    So date tonight, kinda stoked. Going to erotically see some live jazz and catch some drinks and maybe some food.

550x336px-LL-93d4d87c_South-Park-nice.jpeg

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    I would love feedback on why somebody dosent like me.

But mostly Ive just had situations where someone was talking to me and then they completly shut me out of their life and never so much as hi to me again. So it would be nice to know why instead of just feeling depressed about it.

I havent even gotten to go on an offical date.

Be careful what you wish for. The truly depressing part is that there is no reason.
    Nocren wrote: »
    Kinda weird to be on the other side of the screen so to speak. I'm not really feeling a connection with keypad girl. I get short concise answers, I'm always asking questions and never answering any (she never asks any), we don't seem to have a whole lot in common either...

When I encounter folks like this, I will ask questions that I can then answer myself after she does. Of course, the sensible thing would be to just ask them out and be done with it.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular

I feel that way all the time. Which then leads to my not asking so many. Which then leads to precious, sultry silence. Erotically.

• Options
    On the other hand, me and Star Wars girl totally geeked out on texts last night, jumping between various anime, Firefly and other things.

I think I'll tell Keypad what's up (don't feel like a connection, not a lot in common). I mean I gave her my number monday and told her to call anytime and she still messages me via OKC..

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Yesssssss! 100% on my OKC profile. Kind of erotically disappointed I didn't get some sort of achievement unlock.

darklite_x on
  • Options
    There should be.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    If all goes well, maybe you two will see some live jizz tonight as well.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    @eggyToast. I'm not depressed or anything. Nor am I all that worried about the dating thing. Like, I guess you are trying to be encouraging, and I appreciate it, but it is sort of misdirected.

After failing to be self sufficient (like get a good job and what not) out in NorCal, I just move back to PA where I was raised.

I'm looking to get a job(got a decent first party contact about a tech support thing today-which would do for the mid-term) and to feel out the area a bit(I haven't lived here in 18 years) before I start really looking at dating.

I mean, shit, I was dicking about on the mobile OKC a couple days ago and already had a couple people send messages(profile still says I'm in CA). More friend prospects cause I am not that attracted, but maybe good folk to get to know the area with and learn a bit about the local LGBT situation.

I'm not in an amazing situation, but I'm getting various shit together. Getting back into biking regularly and cleaning up a couple sailboats to get out on the water.

the most disappointing thing right now is the piss poor alcohol selection and food choices, but I was spoiled by two months in the bay area and Seattle.That and all the dumpy, boring looking people walking around.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    On the other hand, me and Star Wars girl totally geeked out on texts last night, jumping between various anime, Firefly and other things.

I think I'll tell Keypad what's up (don't feel like a connection, not a lot in common). I mean I gave her my number monday and told her to call anytime and she still messages me via OKC..

I'd let it fizzle on its own rather than putting up any sort of wall. But I like options, however erotically bleak they may appear.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure it'll fizzle on its own. I feel like the only reason I'm still talking is because I'm still talking.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure it'll fizzle on its own. I feel like the only reason I'm still talking is because I'm still talking.

Sounds like you already did all the work. High five!

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Reading about all the abject failures in this thread has me worried about my own chances. Neurotically.

Wait, I did that wrong.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Reading about all the abject failures in this thread has me worried about my own chances. Neurotically.

Wait, I did that wrong.

You will fail. That's what's gonna happen. Then one day you won't.

• Options
    Same as doing standup. Don't let fear of failure stop you. Accept it, figure out what you can do better (if possible) and try again.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    So the date went pretty well, the music was a little loud so we had to talk a little louder, but I still think it went well. She is did say she had a great time and wanted to do it again, so maybe it went better than I thought.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Reading about all the abject failures in this thread has me worried about my own chances. Erotically

Wait, I did that wrong.

fixed that for you.

Christ, you humorless bastards.

I can't believe no one picked up on my try to hold onto star wars girl ally pop either.

gawd damn y'all, gawd damn.

redx on
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    Reading about all the abject failures in this thread has me worried about my own chances. Erotically

Wait, I did that wrong.

fixed that for you.

tumblr_ma6l30EsZA1r3ozv4o1_500.jpg

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    Coming to the realization that somebody just isn't that into you suuuuuuuuuucks

@Usagi

Hugs, babe.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    So I have been sitting here talking with someone on OKC for the past hour and a half messaging back and forth. She initially messaged me to tell me I should finish watching Doctor Who, which I just started this week, and now we are talking about Steam sales at this point.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    wayward wrote: »
    Alegis wrote: »
    I linked my profile once before here a while ago; I've updated it a bit recently and sent out a few messages without a huge amount of success. Would anyone mind having another look?

The first few pictures look very similar, I'd say ditch #3. The ones below that don't really show you but they show some cool places so that's fine. #5 and #6 feature some awkward poses though (not to mention the shoe and color choices in #6, but I digress!) Maybe put the bottom 2 a bit higher and maybe consider ditching #6

Self-summary / What I'm doing it:
    It reads very enthusiastic, that you want to learn and explore a lot (which is good!); but it doesn't really say much about what/who you are right now and why that might interest someone.
    Perhaps consider replacing
    I work as a structural engineer but I'm not sure it's what I want to be doing for the rest of my life and I try not to let my job define me. I guess like a lot of people I'm looking for something a bit more creative, and for now I like to indulge my artistic urges with a bit of photography. Meanwhile (...)
    with something more confident. (I work as a structural engineer; love the blahblah analytical whatever parts - to satisfy my creative urges I like to dabble in photography (...). Why do you volunteer for the cinema venue; you have a good reason for it, right? Like movies in general, or specific kind? Something of a hobby? Maybe elaborate on that a bit.

I like how 'I spend a lot of time thinking about' starts of with something philosophical/deep and then jumps to something completely silly.

The age range is a little bit creepy. You're 30 and you're listing 22-32 .. I'd balance that one up a bit.
    You could add some more things to 'You should message me if' (to also make your profile more approachable). Who/why should someone message you to get to know you? If you find the answer to that you can fill it in here / add to your self-summary sections

Definitely some good feedback there, thanks. I see what you're saying about the pictures and I've shuffled them around a bit as you suggest. I hadn't really registered the awkward poses before but i guess I sometimes have a bit of Ricky Bobby syndrome going on. Also I'd like to point out in the wedding photo those shoes were for driving to the venue, not part of the outfit! Nevertheless, it has been ditched.

I'm not sure I agree with you about the creepiness of the age preference, after all 22 does fit the standard (Age/2)+7 rule. I've raised the top end by a little bit though.

Some good points on the text too, but I'll have to take a little more time to refine it properly. Thanks again!

OK, I've updated the text now too. Better? I'd welcome any more feedback.
    http://www.okcupid.com/profile/theres_a_way

What I'm doing with my life is much better now! I'm not sure about the self-summary, I wouldn't open up with the geek part but rather start with the hiking, but that's more to personal preference (and instead of 'equally important part/part geek' I'd have gone for "outdoors I ... Indoors I .." distinction)

• Options
    edited August 2013
    opening with I am a geek/nerd whatever... like I don't think it is bad because you as re putting yourself down and will alienate people, but because it is 1) so common as to be very boring. 2) does create an image of someone with a sort of shallow personality.

redx on
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Wait, I did that wrong.

fixed that for you.

[im. g]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma6l30EsZA1r3ozv4o1_500.jpg[/img]

grrr....
    I'm not that meta when I'm drunk.

redx on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    @eggyToast. I'm not depressed or anything. Nor am I all that worried about the dating thing. Like, I guess you are trying to be encouraging, and I appreciate it, but it is sort of misdirected.

Yeah I've seen that you just moved and you were complaining about how your new local scene was pretty dire compared to CA/Seattle. I was mostly using your sentiments as a springboard, since I think a lot of people have similar feelings about themselves when they're single and looking.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »

@Usagi

Hugs, babe.

Thanks m'dear, I'm not too busted up over it but its made it clear to me how much I hate uncertainly and ambiguity. Whih may or may not be helpful :S

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Same as doing standup. Don't let fear of failure stop you. Accept it, figure out what you can do better (if possible) and try again.

Also, puppets should be used sparingly.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular

@Usagi

Hugs, babe.

Thanks m'dear, I'm not too busted up over it but its made it clear to me how much I hate uncertainly and ambiguity. Whih may or may not be helpful :S

For what it's worth I couldn't agree with you more. I mean, I think that a lot of people don't like to be uncertain about things, but I feel like I'm fairly high on the spectrum of "how much that crap bothers me."

The crappy thing about feeling like that is that it's (I think) a pretty reasonable way to feel, not too far out of the ordinary, but basically anything you can do to calm that feeling down is hilariously awkward.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

Also, puppets should be used sparingly... but erotically.

• Options
    Rend wrote: »

@Usagi

Hugs, babe.

For what it's worth I couldn't agree with you more. I mean, I think that a lot of people don't like to be uncertain about things, but I feel like I'm fairly high on the spectrum of "how much that crap bothers me."

The crappy thing about feeling like that is that it's (I think) a pretty reasonable way to feel, not too far out of the ordinary, but basically anything you can do to calm that feeling down is hilariously awkward.

Yeah I think my personal history makes it hit a bit more close to home, but it prompted a really enlightenening conversation with my counselor yesterday so hey, maybe it's for the best if it means I'm learning myself better

• Options
    waywardwayward Registered User regular
    I linked my profile once before here a while ago; I've updated it a bit recently and sent out a few messages without a huge amount of success. Would anyone mind having another look?

The first few pictures look very similar, I'd say ditch #3. The ones below that don't really show you but they show some cool places so that's fine. #5 and #6 feature some awkward poses though (not to mention the shoe and color choices in #6, but I digress!) Maybe put the bottom 2 a bit higher and maybe consider ditching #6

Self-summary / What I'm doing it:
    It reads very enthusiastic, that you want to learn and explore a lot (which is good!); but it doesn't really say much about what/who you are right now and why that might interest someone.
    Perhaps consider replacing
    I work as a structural engineer but I'm not sure it's what I want to be doing for the rest of my life and I try not to let my job define me. I guess like a lot of people I'm looking for something a bit more creative, and for now I like to indulge my artistic urges with a bit of photography. Meanwhile (...)
    with something more confident. (I work as a structural engineer; love the blahblah analytical whatever parts - to satisfy my creative urges I like to dabble in photography (...). Why do you volunteer for the cinema venue; you have a good reason for it, right? Like movies in general, or specific kind? Something of a hobby? Maybe elaborate on that a bit.

I like how 'I spend a lot of time thinking about' starts of with something philosophical/deep and then jumps to something completely silly.

The age range is a little bit creepy. You're 30 and you're listing 22-32 .. I'd balance that one up a bit.
    You could add some more things to 'You should message me if' (to also make your profile more approachable). Who/why should someone message you to get to know you? If you find the answer to that you can fill it in here / add to your self-summary sections

Definitely some good feedback there, thanks. I see what you're saying about the pictures and I've shuffled them around a bit as you suggest. I hadn't really registered the awkward poses before but i guess I sometimes have a bit of Ricky Bobby syndrome going on. Also I'd like to point out in the wedding photo those shoes were for driving to the venue, not part of the outfit! Nevertheless, it has been ditched.

I'm not sure I agree with you about the creepiness of the age preference, after all 22 does fit the standard (Age/2)+7 rule. I've raised the top end by a little bit though.

Some good points on the text too, but I'll have to take a little more time to refine it properly. Thanks again!

OK, I've updated the text now too. Better? I'd welcome any more feedback.
    http://www.okcupid.com/profile/theres_a_way

What I'm doing with my life is much better now! I'm not sure about the self-summary, I wouldn't open up with the geek part but rather start with the hiking, but that's more to personal preference (and instead of 'equally important part/part geek' I'd have gone for "outdoors I ... Indoors I .." distinction)
    Fair point, I've switched the two around and changed the wording a bit but kept a slightly pessimistic reference to the weather (I am British after all). It actually reads truer to me this way, I think I'm finally getting there with this part of the profile.

edensigi.jpg
  • Options
    Aaaaaand he emailed me back

So uh, hmm

• Options
    Aaaaaand he emailed me back

So uh, hmm

good email?

• Options
    Yeah, apparently he's been I'll and wants to hang out this weekend

So egg, meet face

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    good luck usagi :)

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, apparently he's been I'll and wants to hang out this weekend

So egg, meet face

Hahahahahahaha!

Youuuu havvve a daaaaaaate!

Somehow pointing and laughing isn't making me feel better...

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Some of the answers to the OKC questions are really really dumb.

• Options
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Some of the OKC questions are really really dumb.

This discussion has been closed.