As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EverQuest Next] Details revealed. Press embargo ended. Beta registration open.

• JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    I have to say that there is a balance that could be struck with regards to keeping stuff "unknown". I do think one of the strengths of EQ was that feeling of the unknown. Especially say, at the beginning of a new expansion where literally you step into that new zone and know nothing. It was fun to explore, etc.

Certainly in their next game the death penalty could be far less severe, but one of the things I lament about MMOs these days ... WoW especially -- nothing is a surprise. Everything is datamined, your hand is held through every quest, every map, etc. And it's naive to say you can possibly avoid all of that and play. Especially with the fact that when it's available, most players expect you to have a certain level of knowledge.

So I think it would be nice if they could encrypt the files at least to prevent all this early datamining and bring back the sense of exploration.

• HammerHorrorHammerHorror Registered User regular
    Maybe SOE will bring back fat trolls. Broke my heart when they turned my shaman into some gangly-assed thing.

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    http://www.tentonhammer.com/features/soe-live-countdown-begins

"I had the great fortune to be part of a closed door showing of the game at E3 this year along with my convention partner in crime (and our Editor-in-Chief), Reuben, aka Sardu. I don’t care how hung over, sick, tired, blue and tattooed you are that morning; you have to be there for that announcement. If you’re not, you’re going to wonder why everyone else at the convention is walking around in a daze with a slack-jawed look on their face for the next few days. Yes, the shock really will be that great. While we can’t say anything about what we saw, I will clearly state here that I predict EverQuest Next will be as much of a game changer as the original EverQuest was. Feel free to quote me on that any time."

Hype is fun.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I always expect to get 1/3rd of the experience that the hype would suggest. If in the end I'd be happy with 1/3rd of the game I am looking at before I've played it then it will be successful for me.

Some games are on the edge of that precipice and this one we just don't even know enough about to even make an initial estimation to cut the 2/3rds out of.

If they do make proceduraly generated quests and have a good interface for user generated content it could meet that level though.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • JoiryJoiry Registered User regular
    Heh, I'll be on the road during the announcement and little/no internet access over the weekend. I guess I can get the more sobered views that have settled down by sunday night.

I actually love that original EverQuest had no in-game maps. I've loaded up the game in the past week, and I can still remember how to get around many zones without it. I remember the thrill of Ruins of Kunark coming out, and walking into those new zones with literally no idea what was in them. I used to have a stack of hand-drawn maps of dungeons and stuff. I wouldn't mind if EQNext didn't have an in-game map. Although, while we're still in the pre-announcement phase where all of our wildest dreams can come true, I'd like to share an idea that I've had for at least 10 years that somebody really should have implemented by now.

Cartography as a trade skill! Only source of in-game maps is player-made ones. The more skilled the map-maker, the more detailed the map. You can finagle the material and resource costs to keep mass-production in check, and make it so a good map of that dungeon you're heading in to is actually valuable. Would also be a nice "collectible" for checklist style gamers who would want to have a complete set of the highest quality maps for the whole world.

Obviously the internet exists, but it existed back when EverQuest 1 came out and the lack of maps was still something that had to be dealt with. And having an interactive in-game version is always better than just trying to orient yourself based on a jpeg.

• gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    I actually love that original EverQuest had no in-game maps. I've loaded up the game in the past week, and I can still remember how to get around many zones without it. I remember the thrill of Ruins of Kunark coming out, and walking into those new zones with literally no idea what was in them. I used to have a stack of hand-drawn maps of dungeons and stuff. I wouldn't mind if EQNext didn't have an in-game map. Although, while we're still in the pre-announcement phase where all of our wildest dreams can come true, I'd like to share an idea that I've had for at least 10 years that somebody really should have implemented by now.

Cartography as a trade skill! Only source of in-game maps is player-made ones. The more skilled the map-maker, the more detailed the map. You can finagle the material and resource costs to keep mass-production in check, and make it so a good map of that dungeon you're heading in to is actually valuable. Would also be a nice "collectible" for checklist style gamers who would want to have a complete set of the highest quality maps for the whole world.

Obviously the internet exists, but it existed back when EverQuest 1 came out and the lack of maps was still something that had to be dealt with. And having an interactive in-game version is always better than just trying to orient yourself based on a jpeg.

I kind of like how they eventually did it in EQ1. They provided an in-game map making UI so that you could make your own maps or get them from others. Except instead of a tradeskill, it was legit cartography and required real life skill on the part of the creator.

So all they'd have to do is allow you to sell copies of your map to other people in game!

• MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular
    Argh, I have to go in with low expectations. EQ was my first love. Hell it was the start of the road that lead me to meet my wife. Its hard to keep such low expectations when you've got that riding around in your head.

League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • NathrakNathrak Registered User regular
    Hmm, possible beta signups? Two that act like they're for EverQuest Next stages but also have some filler about the next Everquest expansion. Dunno, but they seem almost promising but not sure it's really ready for people to signup yet. I did of course because I can't help it.

Everquest Next beta
    Everquest Next Landmark Beta

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I signed up for the first beta and got an email right after saying "Thanks (name) welcome to beta."

That's about it.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    Says the signup period for both of those has ended =\

Some SOE guy tweeted this:
    I'd tune in to @j_smedley's keynote tonight at 7 PDT - not promising anything... but I'd bet on a little EQN news.

So that's in about 20 minutes at 10 EST. Here's the link:

Who knows if there will actually be anything interesting, I'm gonna at least put it on in the background.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I only have enough hype and love for one MMO at a time anymore after countless disappointments and near misses. That game right now is Wildstar and will remain so until proven otherwise.

If anything comes of this, it would have to be absolutely amazing, groundbreaking and nerd boner inducing to even shake the jade dust from my weary eyes at this point. I got nothing but love for the better aspects of this venerable franchise's 2 entries, but I cannot imagine what they could possibly reveal tomorrow which would impress me enough to take note.

488W936.png
    edited August 2013
    If they pull off dynamic content that doesn't just reset itself over and over than it could well be a better game than Wildstar.

That's a huge if there though.

Seidkona on
    edited August 2013
    Jeremy Soule has been tapped to do the music.

Epic.

Of course this means nothing of game play but if it is good then we'll have something nice to listen to while we play.

Seidkona on
    edited August 2013
    Entaru wrote: »
    If they pull of dynamic content that doesn't just reset itself over and over than it could well be a better game than Wildstar.

I WANT TO BELIEVE
    bS6lwZ2.jpg

Miniwolf on
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    If they pull off dynamic content that doesn't just reset itself over and over than it could well be a better game than Wildstar.

The hugest of ifs, one of both epic design scope and effort as well as something that holds great significance for the future of sandbox MMOs if pulled off.

SOE isn't the company I think is capable of such a design feat but then frankly I don't believe such a dev house exists right now.

488W936.png
    Corehealer wrote: »

The hugest of ifs, one of both epic design scope and effort as well as something that holds great significance for the future of sandbox MMOs if pulled off.

SOE isn't the company I think is capable of such a design feat but then frankly I don't believe such a dev house exists right now.

You could very well be right. I don't know the end outcome here and as I've stated before my hype gland, she's broken.

That all being said if they pull off something close to the rumors then that's a game I'd want to play.

I'm confident that regardless of how successful they are in actually reaching these lofty expectations, the game they're making is not going to be a WoW inspired theme park MMO. Or at least they've stated that as their goal. That fact alone is enough to get me interested and excited. I guess we'll know more in two hours!

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    The problem with MMOs these days are expectations. Gone are the days when a company can release a solid "core" product and add on to it as time goes on. The population expects MMOs to have many of these expensive to dev, very complex, systems at launch and working properly.

Edit: If I were building an MMO for longevity and extensibility: SoE and Turbine would be on my short list of companies to do so.

Jubal77 on
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Here's the link in case anyone was wondering.

Stream starts in about an hour.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Asheron's Call had some great systems that I'm really surprised were never adopted by other MMOs.

Death penalty - Vitae, item drop, lifestone mechanics
    Travel - seamless world where you could fast travel by one-way static (and later moving/dynamic) portals. Not many places you could just hope back and forth, had to know the routes
    Quests - gathering clues from rumors, town criers, notes in game, exploring and having other players guide you
    Item progression - item drops were more like diablo than EQ or WoW
    Crafting - fletching and alchemy were cool, but the armor/weapon crafting/improving made "trash" drops useful and allowed you to really build your own gear sets
    Social system - swearing allegiance to a patron/monarchy and having systems support it really help foster long lasting relationships and heart breaking betrayals.
    Magic system- having spell reagents differ on each character when it was new

And many more things, just too many to type out on a phone.

Just one more hour to find out what this game has to offer. Been playing Mortal Online, which is a niche full loot PvP sandbox MMO supported by a very small Swedish devs team(1, now 2 actual developers). It's fun but a little buggy and smallish population.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I'm in the channel now, just waiting.

JtgVX0H.png
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Buddies wrote: »
    Asheron's Call had some great systems that I'm really surprised were never adopted by other MMOs.

Death penalty - Vitae, item drop, lifestone mechanics
    Travel - seamless world where you could fast travel by one-way static (and later moving/dynamic) portals. Not many places you could just hope back and forth, had to know the routes
    Quests - gathering clues from rumors, town criers, notes in game, exploring and having other players guide you
    Item progression - item drops were more like diablo than EQ or WoW
    Crafting - fletching and alchemy were cool, but the armor/weapon crafting/improving made "trash" drops useful and allowed you to really build your own gear sets
    Social system - swearing allegiance to a patron/monarchy and having systems support it really help foster long lasting relationships and heart breaking betrayals.
    Magic system- having spell reagents differ on each character when it was new

And many more things, just too many to type out on a phone.

Just one more hour to find out what this game has to offer. Been playing Mortal Online, which is a niche full loot PvP sandbox MMO supported by a very small Swedish devs team(1, now 2 actual developers). It's fun but a little buggy and smallish population.

I'm torn on item drop mechanics.

On one hand, recovering my corpse gave me some exciting moments. On the other hand, corpse decay is terrible.

• BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Item drop tends to punish newer players, as experienced ones usually have the means to mitigate or replace their losses. I think AC did great with their item drop system. You usually never lost an item you cared about unless you died many times in a row.

I think it wouldn't be a proper sandbox game if there wasn't item drop on death. There are ways to make it not so harsh, but it helps to remove items from the game to keep a healthy economy going. Along with durability and items breaking an item drop on death helps keep crafters in business.

I am hoping they can find a middle ground and reach the 'hard plus entertaining' mark. A lot of stuff in EQ was hard for the sake of making it hard.

A lot has changed in computing since then, including wikis and datamining with dramatically reduces the 'surprise' aspect of the game. People know what loot will drop, people know what the armor sets will look like. There is no way we can do back to the mystery that EQ with out a dramatic change in game play style. Stuff like mobs with placeholders and 16 hour spawn timers are a thing of the past. Mixing level zones is a thing of the past 'GO AWAY SAND GIANT I JUST WANT TO KILL THIS CROCODILE FOR 1/8th OF A BUBBLE OF EXP!'. EQ set a great foundation for future MMOs.

People expect something different out of MMOs then we did when we started EQ. Pretending like if only EQ had HD graphics it would be a great modern MMO isn't true.

If they pull out the truly dynamic content stuff. I'd be impressed. I want to believe.

My point is, making something hard doesn't always make it fun. As well as expectations for MMOs have changed.

Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
    I wish I could watch it. EQ is still a game I jump into from time to time for the nostalgia aspect. I have been hoping that they could do something fun with the IP again. I enjoy a game so much more if I am interested in the IP. Rift for example is a fantastic game but the world just bores the hell out of me.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I had a big post typed up about how I liked old EQ's hardcore gameplay, and how I dislike the current trend of putting everything onto wikis and data mining for all the info. Then I deleted it because who gives a shit. I'm just excited about EQN, I want to see what they're going to do next!

JtgVX0H.png
    I am just hoping it is not just another grind mindlessly in 20 minute areas for gear BS that MMOs have devolved into.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I would wager that permadeath will not be one of the selling points of whatever this ends up being.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    Stream live!

its happening

Breath wolf breath.

Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    Stream is here if anyone doesn't want to look for the link above:

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    At work so I can't watch the stream, but I am eagerly awaiting any news.

Rose Colored Glasses: but I loved my time spent in EQ.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
    edited August 2013
    Reserved @Penumbra.

I'll keep a running commentary if I can in this post addressed to you.

12:05 - It started - they just have a SOE guy up on the stage, 16k people watching right now. Mark Tuttle is his name.

12:06 - He is doing a run down of the personal EQ stories videos that were on the website - sorta - they're hand picked a couple. They're showing a montage of them now.

12:11 - They're still showing the stories.

12:13 - Ok they're done they're starting the big reveal now - Smedly is on the stage now - IT JUST GOT REAL.

12:16 - Video has started - someone is doing a sand finger painting - someone in the marketing department thought this would be cool I think.

12:19 - Three min of sand finger painting and the music just got ominious. I have been reading the articles in the post below, omg its beautiful.

12:28 - I think they took the 'sand box' theme too far.

12:30 - No more sand finger painting.

12:31- Dave Georgeson (EQ franchise developer) - On stage 'We rebooted EQ because we wanted to create a different MMO, ENOUGH OF THE SAME' he says. They spent 6 months brainstorming the game. They're starting to talk about taking the best bits of MMOs.

12:46 - Ok so Recap: lots of cool things. The art style is not 'real' they've done their own style. Emotes are looking good. character moves around terrain. Double jumps.

12:47 - Over 40 classes - classes obtained through questing and exploring - weapons changes skills - mix and match classes.

12:50 - You can blow up the world - Seriously... you can blow up the world. Voxel world. Spells blow up the world.

12:56 - Dynamic World - Monsters spawn given information like 'how close to a city' and other things.

12:59 - Lots of places to explore - underground has ruins and loot and monsters to murder you.

3:15 - Ok so they're going hand out a game that allows you to build stuff for EQ next and sell it.

Miniwolf on
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
    edited August 2013
    Liveblog for stream. However it has an embedded twitch player so might still be not safe for work meh, can't find one without embed yet. I think it doesn't autoplay at least.

First info reveal from Massively now that embargo is over Has screenshots and info!
    MMORPG.com article with screenshots and info!
    EQHammer Q&A, answer to community questions about EQNext
    PC Gamer EverQuest Next reveal article.
    Short MTV article on EQNext.
    Zam article.
    Shacknews article.
    Eurogamer
    Desctuctoid
    VentureBeat
    Rock Paper Shotgun

I guess there is some story going on in this artistic drawing intro, oh well been too busy trying to find the reveal articles.

No levels. Multiclassing. Progress through exploration/experimentation.

Nathrak on
    I really hope this is not an EQ themed Draw Something clone.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Well, this is... different.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    From that Massively article, it kinda sounds like elements of Minecraft combined with Guild Wars 2.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    This dude looks like an 80's badguy.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow