As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[General Roleplaying Games] It is our Fate to Run the Shadows Bearing Torches

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    kaorti wrote: »
    @Grunt's Ghosts -

My abortive attempt at running a Burning Wheel game really underlined the need for everyone to get beliefs right. They're a bit tricky before you get a feel for it. I wish I'd got my group to run through the introductory scenario "The Sword" before we tried to burn up our own characters and run a game.

Beliefs are the core of the game.

I might have to find "The Sword" somewhere since I don't see it in the Gold Edition I have. And I might even run it here but I'm not sure if I'll do PbP or Roll20 as I really want to do some real time gaming but I don't have set nights I work or a strong internet connection. The only time I've used Roll20 was when Jdark was showing off MHR for me and my players and it seemed like my internet wasn't hurting much.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    IRC

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    I hate playing by typing. I rather talk and hear other people. Then use a program to do rolls.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I hate playing by typing. I rather talk and hear other people. Then use a program to do rolls.

I'm the opposite

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    kaorti wrote: »
    @Grunt's Ghosts -

My abortive attempt at running a Burning Wheel game really underlined the need for everyone to get beliefs right. They're a bit tricky before you get a feel for it. I wish I'd got my group to run through the introductory scenario "The Sword" before we tried to burn up our own characters and run a game.

Beliefs are the core of the game.

I might have to find "The Sword" somewhere since I don't see it in the Gold Edition I have. And I might even run it here but I'm not sure if I'll do PbP or Roll20 as I really want to do some real time gaming but I don't have set nights I work or a strong internet connection. The only time I've used Roll20 was when Jdark was showing off MHR for me and my players and it seemed like my internet wasn't hurting much.

It's available free on the burning wheel web store. It's a bit weird getting them - the store uses the same process as a purchase even if you're only downloading free things, but don't worry about that. It's really free.

Here is a youtube video of people playing The Sword at a convention. Luke Crane is running the game.

kaorti on
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »

I'm the opposite

I'm a terrible speller and a slow typer (imo) so it's easier to just talk. Plus I like doing voices when DMing (even when I'm doing PbP I still "think" as if I'm speaking in their voice) so talking is the preferred method for me.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Just an an FYI, BW will not work PbP.

• Options
    Please explain while I continue my reading after a wonderful night of Skyblocks.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2013
    Please explain while I continue my reading after a wonderful night of Skyblocks.

Because BW requires both the players to constantly be asking questions which tends to slow the game down if you PbP. This is especially true since your job is to introduce failure complications. You want to be able to pause the action to say, "if you fail. . ." Or just say yes. I mean, it's not impossible, but it doesn't work well.

Also, for the love of God, do not spring Fight, Duel of Wits, or Range and Cover on your players in the first session.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    Now I got to reread those areas.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Now I got to reread those areas.

Just use the rules in "The Hub and the Spokes" section until you get a handle on things. What I recommend is, play a few sessions with those basic rules and, once a bigger conflict presents itself, introduce one of those systems. Be prepared to spend a lot of time in the rulebooks when you do. One trick for rules teaching I've found is to only script one action at a time no matter what system you use.

And I can't state this enough: not every martial conflict is a Fight!, not every ranged combat is a Range and Cover, and not every disagreement is Duel of Wits. Just like you only roll dice when it's important, the vast majority of situations can be resolved by using a Standard test, versus or Independent.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    Anialos wrote: »
    @bss @poshniallo @Leper if any of you guys will be at PAX Prime you might catch me DMing 13th Age at their setup in Open Gaming. I'll be there all 4 days! Would like to meet other people playing and enjoying the game!

If I were going I'd definitely try to bump into you. But, alas, I looked away from the Internet for one day and it happened to be the day that prereg opened and closed.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Played Legend Last night with my buddies. We are in Fantasy australia and they were contracted out to help drive cattle to a staging area where some construction was going on, they got attacked by bandits riding giant kangaroos. Fucking combat took forever, both sides seemed not to be able to roll over a 3. Those nights are always rough when both sides can't hit for shit. This is after all their abilities have ended up giving them an overall +9 to hit before roll.

Though one cool thing, one of my friends is playing a ranger with the sniper track, which gives the (long range) ability to his ranged weapon, letting him shoot over 440ft without penalty. So the last bandit is running away on a kangaroo and moving damn fast, and has full health, so I figure he'll be able to escape and warn his cohorts or whatever, and my buddy is able to pick him off with his ranger, I was impressed, two hits in a row and rolling high damage each time.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Played Legend Last night with my buddies. We are in Fantasy australia and they were contracted out to help drive cattle to a staging area where some construction was going on, they got attacked by bandits riding giant kangaroos. Fucking combat took forever, both sides seemed not to be able to roll over a 3. Those nights are always rough when both sides can't hit for shit. This is after all their abilities have ended up giving them an overall +9 to hit before roll.

Though one cool thing, one of my friends is playing a ranger with the sniper track, which gives the (long range) ability to his ranged weapon, letting him shoot over 440ft without penalty. So the last bandit is running away on a kangaroo and moving damn fast, and has full health, so I figure he'll be able to escape and warn his cohorts or whatever, and my buddy is able to pick him off with his ranger, I was impressed, two hits in a row and rolling high damage each time.

God damn huntsman snipers.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The Eclipse Phase Transhuman Kickstarter has released it's PDF copy of the new book!

Got mine today, it's awesome! Really great purchase, can't wait for it to turn up in hardback, the guys at posthuman studious really know what they are doing

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    The Eclipse Phase Transhuman Kickstarter has released it's PDF copy of the new book!

Got mine today, it's awesome! Really great purchase, can't wait for it to turn up in hardback, the guys at posthuman studious really know what they are doing

Posthuman is great. I got the email but didn't check it out; is the PDF one of those things that I can download and lose (because I invariably misplace all of my PDFs) and go back to my order page or whatever and redownload?

• Options
    So how hard would it be to do a side story "Day in the Life of..." kind of thing in a PbP game? I'm thinking that after I'm done with the power plant story of my Noir game, the group is allowed to go home, rest and take some time off. During this time, they can deal with some of their background story stuff (or come face to face with it) or do some low-key work for Fury that wouldn't require the whole team (like Dr. Strange is doing now). There are elements of their stories I want to touch on, but I'm still not sure how to (or if it should be) connected to the Main Story.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    So how hard would it be to do a side story "Day in the Life of..." kind of thing in a PbP game? I'm thinking that after I'm done with the power plant story of my Noir game, the group is allowed to go home, rest and take some time off. During this time, they can deal with some of their background story stuff (or come face to face with it) or do some low-key work for Fury that wouldn't require the whole team (like Dr. Strange is doing now). There are elements of their stories I want to touch on, but I'm still not sure how to (or if it should be) connected to the Main Story.

Those are just Transition Scenes, right?

You frame them yourself for what you want the group to get out of them.

So you might say,

'You are home, and can't sleep because of the Evil Threat that is bad. You notice your book of contacts. What do you do?'

Or

'You are home, and can't sleep because you are worried about Aunt Margaret's health. You notice the laudanum. What do you do?'

Or

'You are home, and can't sleep. Why not?'

There are a few rolls, some spending of Plot Points for resources (those can be informational resources, of course - I like quite complex ones).

But most of it is just freeform RPing, with you improvising, and it turning into an Action Scene if there is conflict, or if you think they are getting bored.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Okay, I started working on a 13th Age recruiting thread but I ran out of time for the night. I'll maybe get it up tomorrow night and ping people who are interested when I do so. Also, picking through the Pelgrane site, there seems to be enough in the way of player resources and pregens that owning a copy of the book is merely optional: http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=8764

• Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Oooh I feel the p&p rpg itch coming on. So can someone give me the run down on 13th Age? How does it stack up against 4th Ed D&D? I was really into 4th Ed's combat system. I didn't enjoy third Ed or pathfinder at all.

I dunno I just find that it's really hard to find rule sets that are actually functional in the world of RPGs. So much of it seems so amateurish that it needs serious twerking (edit: im nust going toeave this autocorrect typo here for the lols) to work and I'm just not up to that task!

What else is hot in terms of playability right now?

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Fate/Marvel Heroics RPG is getting big here. Seems we have interest in 13th Age and Torchbearer. The scene has changed alot since I first joined a year ago where it was 4e all the time.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    13th Age is a "medium crunch" system. It's not as wargame influenced as 4E, but shares some of the design considerations (everybody has awesome things to do) while still being abstract enough that you could play it without a battle mat. There's also a heavier influence on roleplaying, with each character having "One Unique Thing", an abstracted skill system, and a system for relationship with the gods that can have a tangible effect on gameplay.

The other big system recently released is Edge of the Empire, the new Star Wars RPG by Fantasy Flight Games. It's mostly a narrative system, with tactical crunch being (mostly) represented in the abstract. The caveat is starship combat which is surprisingly crunchy while still being battle map agnostic.

I can't say enough good things about EotE, I adore running it. I'm mostly a GM, so it's hard for me to give a complete review of 13th Age (because I haven't run it), but I've had an awesome amount of fun playing it. Could be the people though, those guys are awesome.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    I think I might need 13th Age...

• Options
    poshniallo wrote: »

So you might say,

'You are home, and can't sleep because of the Evil Threat that is bad. You notice your book of contacts. What do you do?'

Or

'You are home, and can't sleep because you are worried about Aunt Margaret's health. You notice the laudanum. What do you do?'

Or

There are a few rolls, some spending of Plot Points for resources (those can be informational resources, of course - I like quite complex ones).

But most of it is just freeform RPing, with you improvising, and it turning into an Action Scene if there is conflict, or if you think they are getting bored.

I understand that but I'm asking how well do they work in a PbP game. If each player was having their own Transition scene, what problems do you face compared to doing it live? Most games I've seen here (not that I follow many games here) seem set on keeping the group in the same general area and only splits the party in to two groups at the most.

• Options

So you might say,

Or

Or

I understand that but I'm asking how well do they work in a PbP game. If each player was having their own Transition scene, what problems do you face compared to doing it live? Most games I've seen here (not that I follow many games here) seem set on keeping the group in the same general area and only splits the party in to two groups at the most.

I would assume PbP works better at splitting the party, and worse at interaction. I'd split them all, maybe, and run all the Transition Scenes concurrently.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I just realized that MHRPG is basically perfect for running Robotech-style mecha.

It's like Fate for stronger-than-human stuff. It can run literally anything.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    13th Age is a "medium crunch" system. It's not as wargame influenced as 4E, but shares some of the design considerations (everybody has awesome things to do) while still being abstract enough that you could play it without a battle mat. There's also a heavier influence on roleplaying, with each character having "One Unique Thing", an abstracted skill system, and a system for relationship with the gods that can have a tangible effect on gameplay.

Indeed, mechanics-wise, imagine a 4e with a layer of mechanics removed. Instead of counting squares on a grid, you move and target relative zones, like "I move to that nearby enemy and engage him, it's clobberin' time" (system terms italicsed, not that you'd describe it that way, but that's how combat is dealt with spatially). There are healing surges and second winds, short rests and extended rests, at-will powers, daily powers, all sorts of weird combinations in between powers. Where the game breaks from 4e is that there are a lot less conditional modifiers (no flanking, no prone tracking, that kind of thing) and the classes feel more like a wide array of Essentials classes than a PHB1 "everyone has at-will/encounter/utility/daily progression" approach --- the barbarian just has you pick some talents (class features) and then run around murdering everything with basic attacks, whereas the bard has talents to choose, bard songs and spells to prepare, and additional battle cries that you choose to trigger when you make basic attacks.

The roleplaying storygame stuff, as compared to 4e, is a bit of mechanics around the kind of advice you'd see in the Robin D. Laws section of DMG2 --- there's a lot of emphasis, via the stuff jdarksun mentioned and just by nature of "hey, get your players to play along", on "yes, and..." style storytelling. I often compare the icon relationship segment of the rules to Fiasco, if that makes any sense, and there is a baseline "all your characters are pretty unique and this is why and how they impact the game world" feel to the one unique thing, icon relationships, and backgrounds.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    bss wrote: »
    Okay, I started working on a 13th Age recruiting thread but I ran out of time for the night. I'll maybe get it up tomorrow night and ping people who are interested when I do so. Also, picking through the Pelgrane site, there seems to be enough in the way of player resources and pregens that owning a copy of the book is merely optional: http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=8764

Interested parties? I can't imagine where you'd find one of those....

Hint, hint.
    I could totally use the motivation to dig into it. So far I've been waiting on my books but a game will get me motivated to read the PDFs.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Auralynx wrote: »
    I'd actually really like to incorporate the 7th Sea d20 book into a Pathfinder game at the moment, but it'll be a while before I have the free time.

Good news! The Skulls & Shackles Adventure Path is excellent - open ended allowing the players to pillage to their hearts' content with bits like "eventually, you'll want to make this happen" to progress the meta-plot. In time they'll get to lead entire fleets under their command to battle against invading warships. I think it's better than Kingmaker but I might be biased because pirates. Some day I will run it to completion.

good-news.jpg

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I just realized that MHRPG is basically perfect for running Robotech-style mecha.

I tried to hack FATE into something cyberpunk and realised it doesn't work. Anything where constructs (mechs, programs, artifacts, whatever) are important, FATE doesn't work well. MHRP, or Cortex Plus Heroic, does work. Make 'em Assets, or Resources, or Powersets. All good.

I am eagerly awaiting that Cortex Plus Hacker's Guide.

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular

My only cautionary note is this: at the table, downtime takes 30 minutes. In a PbP, downtime takes 2 weeks. Make sure your players are going to be able to stay engaged for that long without "doing anything." If you feel the activity in the thread is dropping off, don't hesitate to cut the downtime short and get back to the action.

Splitting the party in a PbP is much easier than at a table, though. So if you're not concerned about how long it's going to take then go for it. In a PbP, no one is sitting at the table bored while you have to devote all your attention to one player. They can just read your post, make their post, and move on.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

I tried to hack FATE into something cyberpunk and realised it doesn't work. Anything where constructs (mechs, programs, artifacts, whatever) are important, FATE doesn't work well. MHRP, or Cortex Plus Heroic, does work. Make 'em Assets, or Resources, or Powersets. All good.

Is there a Cortex Plus core book available somewhere? Because though I feel like I'd need to tweak/hack it some, there are a lot of things I'd love to do that there just aren't systems for and Fate doesn't handle well.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Ooops bought 13th Age.

• Options

Is there a Cortex Plus core book available somewhere? Because though I feel like I'd need to tweak/hack it some, there are a lot of things I'd love to do that there just aren't systems for and Fate doesn't handle well.

Nope. Leverage, Smallville, or MHRP are all variations - Action, Drama, Heroic. I dunno if they'll put generic rules out with the Hacker's Guide.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Ooops bought 13th Age.

Ooops isn't the right word. Perhaps "Yes!" or something like that.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Ooops bought 13th Age.

Ooops bought 13th Age.

It's D&D 5e! Like someone read my mind and made 5e just how I want it!

So impressed.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    So I learned yesterday that Dark Heresy has a beta for version 2! Has anyone played the beta at all? I'm hesitant because its a $20 fee for the pdf... but getting some updated rules could potentially be awesome

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Posthuman is great. I got the email but didn't check it out; is the PDF one of those things that I can download and lose (because I invariably misplace all of my PDFs) and go back to my order page or whatever and redownload?

I am pretty sure you can just click on the link and get the free download again

the Exalted preview PDFs worked like that, it seems to be the way that DTRPG does these things

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Interested? He'll yea!

@bss

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Ooops bought 13th Age.

Ooops bought 13th Age.

It's D&D 5e! Like someone read my mind and made 5e just how I want it!

So impressed.

It WAS designed by the lead designers for 3e and 4e....

This discussion has been closed.