As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer: The Game of Fantasy Battles

• TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    502 point Bretonnian warband.

Paladin (60) (80)
    Lance (+4)
    Shield (+2)
    Barded Bretonnian Warhorse (+14)

Knights of the Realm (192)
    Eight Knights (+192)

Men-at-Arms (40)
    Eight Men (+40)

Men-at-Arms (40)
    Eight Men (+40)

Peasant Bowmen (60)
    Ten Bowmen (+60)

Field Trebuchet (90)

I don't really want to take Eight Knights of the Realm, but they come in a box of eight, so I may as well. Though perhaps it would be better in two units of four...

At any rate, is this list viable? 121 USD to field this army.

Or for 103 USD I could field a Paladin, 8 Knights of the Realm, 16 Men-at-Arms, and 4 Grail Knights.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    From what I understand, Grail Knights are functionally useless on the battlefield. I haven't played against Bretonnia for quite some time though (since right after the release of the new book), so I don't know first hand.

I think lots of shooting support is the way to go, but a trebuchet is less useful when you're not facing lots of massed formations.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited September 2006
    So list one but replacing the trebuchet with more peasants?

TDL on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I really would like to get into Warhammer, but I'm always worried about buying the useless units.

I'd probably go dwarves or elves (wood or high).

Fencingsax on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2006
    -SPI- wrote:
    God Gnoblars are awesome. I'm awfully tempted to buy a couple of boxes and make a labyrinth themed army. They have a labyrinth goblin feel to them.

I need to track down the WD issue with the semi-official Gnoblar Horde army list.

Echo on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Echo wrote:
    -SPI- wrote:
    God Gnoblars are awesome. I'm awfully tempted to buy a couple of boxes and make a labyrinth themed army. They have a labyrinth goblin feel to them.

I need to track down the WD issue with the semi-official Gnoblar Horde army list.
    I could scan it for you if you want. Unless that would be against the rules.

-SPI- on
    edited September 2006
    TDL, I think you'd have luck replacing it with regular missile troops. I'm too well versed in Bretonnia or Warband games
    Fencingsax wrote:
    I really would like to get into Warhammer, but I'm always worried about buying the useless units.

I'd probably go dwarves or elves (wood or high).

That's what this thread is for!

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Keep in mind that some "useless" units may have nice models or fluff reasons to be fielded. Or you could always have them count as something else.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2006
    So I was going to the FLGS today to buy Skull Pass + rules. But they were working on the road and had torn it all up.

So I circled the block and tried to approach from the other side.

They ripped that end up too. :x

Echo on
    edited September 2006
    Keep in mind that some "useless" units may have nice models or fluff reasons to be fielded. Or you could always have them count as something else.

Good point. Like 'Arrer Boyz!

Echo... you should've gut-barged the workers. There was seriously no way to get to the shop? I'd be pissed if I were that business owner.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Echo wrote:
    So I was going to the FLGS today to buy Skull Pass + rules. But they were working on the road and had torn it all up.

So I circled the block and tried to approach from the other side.

They ripped that end up too. :x
    Then it's time to start hoofing it boy. Can't let those pesky roadworkers stand in the way for your mission.

Silpheed on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006

This is precisely why I have sauruses at all.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • themailedfistthemailedfist Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Where do you all play at? Always looking for fresh meat here in Columbia, Maryland....

Was just surveying my Warhammer stuff for a discussion with my local gaming group - and yes, I do have a lot of stuff.

Chaos: Mortals - Approximately 3000 points painted. Want to replace one unit of Marauders that I painted (poorly, and not in the scheme with the rest of the army) Overall mostly finished with this, unless I add more Daemons. Played with it twice - once against Dwarves (lost) and once in a megabattle, mostly against Dark Elves (lost)

Chaos: Beastmen - Approximately 2500 points painted. Needs some touch-ups; most of the bray models look pretty much the same and units are not easily distinguished. (A known issue with Beastmen armies, admittedly) Would like to add: Shaggoth, Centigors, some Trolls? Have played it several times, mostly against Dwarves, mostly losses.

Ogre Kingdoms - Approximately 1500 points. 1200ish points painted. Needs: Slave Giant, Butcher, more Maneaters? Have never played with it.

Empire - Approximately 2000 points painted. Very likely to hit the auction block. I was excited about them a long time ago, but... mostly now they have gathered dust. I only remember one game with it, in a megabattle. Was mostly wiped out.

Tomb Kings - Approximately 2000 points painted. Need to add two Screaming Skull Catapults, a bone giant, more archers. Have played it twice - one loss against High Elves, one overwhelming victory against dwarves.

Dark Elves - Approximately 2500 points, 1500 points painted. If the other 1000 points gets painted, this is a very good army - in theory. Have never played with it.

--TMF

themailedfist on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    TDL wrote:

Paladin (60) (80)
    Lance (+4)
    Shield (+2)

Eight Knights (+192)

Men-at-Arms (40)
    Eight Men (+40)

Men-at-Arms (40)
    Eight Men (+40)

Peasant Bowmen (60)
    Ten Bowmen (+60)

Field Trebuchet (90)

I don't really want to take Eight Knights of the Realm, but they come in a box of eight, so I may as well. Though perhaps it would be better in two units of four...

Or for 103 USD I could field a Paladin, 8 Knights of the Realm, 16 Men-at-Arms, and 4 Grail Knights.
    Eh, TDL, Bretonnian Knights are the one cavalry unit you want to fight in multiple ranks.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • TremorTremor Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Great Googly Moogly

I live in Dundalk, MD which is close enough. I have thus far only played with Callius. I will most likely be getting the beginnings of my Skaven horde today. So, maybe in the future there will be much fun to be had.

Tremor on
    TremorPAJoe.jpg
    edited September 2006
    Tremor wrote:

I live in Dundalk, MD which is close enough. I have thus far only played with Callius. I will most likely be getting the beginnings of my Skaven horde today. So, maybe in the future there will be much fun to be had.

Would be glad to meet you guys. And then, y'know, crush your hopes and dreams.

--TMF

themailedfist on
  • TremorTremor Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Tremor wrote:

Would be glad to meet you guys. And then, y'know, crush your hopes and dreams.

--TMF

Callius already crushes my hopes and dreams. However, the more the merrier. Once I get my horde together, he will tremble when my screaming bell tolls.

Tremor on
    TremorPAJoe.jpg
    edited September 2006
    WHY wrote:
    TDL wrote:

Paladin (60) (80)
    Lance (+4)
    Shield (+2)

Eight Knights (+192)

Men-at-Arms (40)
    Eight Men (+40)

Men-at-Arms (40)
    Eight Men (+40)

Peasant Bowmen (60)
    Ten Bowmen (+60)

Field Trebuchet (90)

Eh, TDL, Bretonnian Knights are the one cavalry unit you want to fight in multiple ranks.

I know, I'm just not all about dumping 200 points (250 with the paladin) into one unit in a 500 point game. But still, this list will work then?

TDL on
  • lessmorelessmore United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I game in Austin, Tx so if anyone lives around there send me a pm or something always looking for new people.

lessmore on
  • ~Nephilim~~Nephilim~ Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The Goblin & Orc Battalion is the "Starter Set". Comes with 39 Models including 1 Orc Warboss on Boar, 10 Goblin Woft Riders (Including a Command Group), 19 Orc Boyz (Including a Command Group), 18 Orc Arrer Boys (Including Standard Bearer & Musician), and 1 Orc Boar Chariot with 2 Crew.

Orc Warriors Regiment Comes with 19 Orc Warriors

Ruglus's Armoured Orcs Comes with 10 Armoured Orcs

Snotling Pump Wagon Comes with 1 Snotling Pump Wagon

Battle for skull pass Goblin part

I got all that for about 190$(good deal or not?)

A question though, Arrer Boys...I hear alot of guff about them..but I don't see them in the Orcs/Goblins Codex...can someone enlighten me of their purpose and why they suck so much dick?

~Nephilim~ on
    pashazam.jpg
    edited September 2006
    ~Nephilim~ wrote:

A question though, Arrer Boys...I hear alot of guff about them..but I don't see them in the Orcs/Goblins Codex...can someone enlighten me of their purpose and why they suck so much dick?

Orcs are good at bashin 'eds. You don't bash 'eds with an arrer.

I think they're kinda cool looking and characterful, but their stat advantages are for CC: when shooting, they're no better than goblins.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited September 2006
    Arrer boys cost more points than gobbos, don't shoot any better, and are on large bases, limiting the amount of shots you can make.

I've heard that in the new rules, they make a great bodyguard for your shaman, though, as they will have something to do while the shaman sits back and casts spells.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    So i'm pretty far outa the loop these days, but with the new edition of rules it means new army books yeh? When are the Vampire Counts getting redone?

noobert on
  • GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    noobert wrote:
    So i'm pretty far outa the loop these days, but with the new edition of rules it means new army books yeh? When are the Vampire Counts getting redone?

vampire ...counts....redone...lol

sorry its a running joke round here. I been wanting to play VC since, well hmm, like 1999 or so? I think they are still using the same models from then too. I love VC fluff and rules but the vampire models are laughable at best.

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2006
    Indeed. The vampire models are awful.

Some of them are ok, like this ancient one

This one isn't too bad either. But yea, horrific models overall. They really shouldn't try to show off the fact that they have fangs, it makes them look ridiculous.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited September 2006
    Some of the Mordheim vampires aren't so bad.

newimage.asp?Size=A&Img=10049

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited September 2006
    I actually like the Vampire range - not many companies really go for the beastial look like the Strigoi.

Wait, WTF? Most of the good models are not in the current range? Dumbasses. I can't even find the best ones that I'm thinking of, the ones that looked like half-bats.

--TMF

themailedfist on
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Arrer boys cost more points than gobbos, don't shoot any better, and are on large bases, limiting the amount of shots you can make.

I've heard that in the new rules, they make a great bodyguard for your shaman, though, as they will have something to do while the shaman sits back and casts spells.

That's actually a good idea... keep the arrer boyz close to a caster and let them do ranged damage while keeping the caster safe.

Now I don't feel so bad wasting two weeks painting my arrer boyz.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Morskittar wrote:

Echo... you should've gut-barged the workers. There was seriously no way to get to the shop? I'd be pissed if I were that business owner.

For all Arrer Boyz suck, they are actually more cost effective at shooting than High Elf archers. And are way better in close combat.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited September 2006
    Morskittar wrote:

For all Arrer Boyz suck, they are actually more cost effective at shooting than High Elf archers. And are way better in close combat.

Speaking of which, are your archers still worryingly free of rusty blades in their backs?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited September 2006
    Dual post of sheer terror:

I just checked out the forums on the GWUS site... I have no idea why. Seeking 7th edition discussion, perhaps?

I hate tournament players. So much. The asinine rules-lawyering there disgusts me.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    You have entered the Eye of Terror?! You fool! Begone, lest ye bring their stench upon us!

Salvation122 on
    edited September 2006
    Morskittar wrote:
    Dual post of sheer terror:

I just checked out the forums on the GWUS site... I have no idea why. Seeking 7th edition discussion, perhaps?

I hate tournament players. So much. The asinine rules-lawyering there disgusts me.

Ditto. Worthless people with meaningless lives who have to win at a board game played with toy soldiers in order to find any happiness.

Anyhow, finished writing out a shitload of definitions for my Music History class, so I'm in the mood for some writing. Here's the fluff and projected army list for my Nurgle warband.

The Varsaag tribe, like many northern tribes, worships the great chaos gods and do battle on their behalf. In ages past, the tribe entered into a covenant with Grandfather Nurgle, whom they revere above all other gods. It is nurgle who protects the tribe from sickness and the wear of age. In return, the finest warriors of the tribe gladly pledge themselves to waging endless war and bringing plague, disease, and decay to those foolish enough to defy the natural state of the universe: entropy. while a normal member of the tribe appears as a normal man, the champions of the tribe are encased in rusting armor and show all of the glorious poxes and plagues of nurgle. These champions, the chosen, wander the chaos wastes, but return from time to time to lead the tribe to war and in such times, the marauders of the varsaags take up arms to smash down the works of the foolish and arrogant men of the south, as well as the other races that they might find.

Army List, 2k points.
    Heroes:
    Skaal, son of Skaarn. Lord of Chaos. 362 points
    Hellfire Sword, Mark of Nurgle, Shield, barded Chaos Steed.
    -leads Chaos Knights regiment.

Aspiring Champion. 121 points
    Battle Standard Bearer. Barded Chaos Steed.
    -leads the Chosen Chaos Knights

Sorceror 160 points
    mark of nugle, level 2
    -leads marauder unit 1

Core:
    Marauder Unit 1 (19 men) 158 points
    -full command, shields, light armour.

Marauder Unit 2 (20 men) 165 points
    -full command, shields, light armour.

Marauder Horsemen Unit 1 (5 men) 105 points
    -full command, flails.

Marauder Horsemen Unit 2 (5 men) 105 points
    -full command, flails.

Chosen Knights of Nurgle (5 men) 325 points
    -full command, mark of nurgle

Knights of Chaos (5 men) 182 points
    -full command

Special:
    Plaguebearers (20) 320 points

total 2003 points

This is just a general idea, so any comments would be welcome. I haven't got any knights at all yet, but I definately intend on fielding marauders and plaguebearers.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited September 2006
    Needs dispell scrolls and something that can stand up to a combined charge. I don't know what I'd drop to make it fit, but a single unit of Warriors, even a smallish one (15?) would make it a lot more effective, I think.

Salvation122 on
    edited September 2006
    Needs dispell scrolls and something that can stand up to a combined charge. I don't know what I'd drop to make it fit, but a single unit of Warriors, even a smallish one (15?) would make it a lot more effective, I think.

I forgot about the scrolls, I'll have to fit those in somehow. I figured that anything that charges and hits hard would have an easier time killing warriors than plaguebearers, since the plaguebearers have a ward save, cause fear, and anything that strikes them gets -1 to hit.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited September 2006
    The entire unit can also literally evaporate on a bad Break test.

I dunno, I've never seen Plaguebearers in action, really, so they may work. Give it a spin, let us know. :)

Salvation122 on
    edited September 2006
    I'll definately need to do some trials.

Its so hard making a chaos list, you can't fit anything in, and your characters are half the army. :( I don't have room for any of the chariots, dragon ogres, or furies I wanted. In my skaven army, I fielded everything I wanted, and had points to kill.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Anyone here ever play the Warhammer RPG?

It was like MERPS-lite.

Lots of critical hits, only one table.

Pkmoutl on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Pkmoutl wrote:

It was like MERPS-lite.

I ran a game- first combat we get in, the bounty hunter uses a fate-point to keep his leg from being severed from his body.

I only later thought that it'd be neat for someone to have a peg-leg.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    WHY wrote:
    Pkmoutl wrote:

It was like MERPS-lite.

I ran a game- first combat we get in, the bounty hunter uses a fate-point to keep his leg from being severed from his body.

I only later thought that it'd be neat for someone to have a peg-leg.

That was the game where we discovered that you could, in fact, use a dead halfling as a missile weapon.

Yeah, our halfling ran out of Fate Points. The first one was lost when he got thrown from his horse.

Pkmoutl on
This discussion has been closed.