As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[General Roleplaying Games] It is our Fate to Run the Shadows Bearing Torches

19495969798100»

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I really wish 13th age had the grid, but I'd still rather play it than Next.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    So this is strictly off the cuff, but my homebrew V:TM setting/NWoD gameplay plan is using the V:TM character sheets, and applying their stats to the NWoD rule set.

Probably not much different than the official solution, but since I don't have that handy, I'll wing it.

wVEsyIc.png
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Anialos wrote: »
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Ooops bought 13th Age.

Ooops isn't the right word. Perhaps "Yes!" or something like that.
    Ooops bought 13th Age.

Ooops isn't the right word. Perhaps "Yes!" or something like that.

It's D&D 5e! Like someone read my mind and made 5e just how I want it!

So impressed.

It WAS designed by the lead designers for 3e and 4e....
    Jonathan Tweet was the lead designer of 3e. Heinsoo was the lead on about a dozen 4e books though (as well as the system as a whole).

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    I really wish 13th age had the grid, but I'd still rather play it than Next.

It doesn't use the grid, but if you want to, a rule I've seen a lot of people use is "engaged"=adjacent to 1 square away, "nearby"= 1-10 squares away, "far away"= anything further than that as long as it is still on the map.

In all my games we use mini's and a map because they are useful. Plus I've got all these minis and map stuff from playing 4e and I'm going to use it dammit.

• poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I kinda want to convert my 4e game to 13th age.

Obviously, the Icons correspond to some classic 4e gods and figures, such as The Lich King clearly being Vecna, the Great Gold Wyrm being Bahamut. But the book says they should be mortal NPCs rather than gods. Any advice from other 13th Age readers?

I figure I could take a bear.
  • bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular

Obviously, the Icons correspond to some classic 4e gods and figures, such as The Lich King clearly being Vecna, the Great Gold Wyrm being Bahamut. But the book says they should be mortal NPCs rather than gods. Any advice from other 13th Age readers?

It mostly works, in my opinion. You can get away with it more in a game where the gods are already expected to be meddling with the PCs, and vice versa. When I was working on iconifying some FR deities, I found the largest challenge was figuring out plausible interactions and weaknesses for them. You have to kind of avoid the "well X can kill Y because they're both gods" kinds of traps, and focus on figuring out what makes the iconified gods vulnerable, assailable, (effectively) mortal. Once you know how the plot could threaten any of them, you're pretty set.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I just got an email from my buddy in Philly who usually runs my Saga games.

He's running Fate Accelerated for his three kids tomorrow (ages 8, 7 and 5). Running a fantasy type setting. So bummed I can't be there. It should be epic.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited August 2013
    bss wrote: »

It mostly works, in my opinion. You can get away with it more in a game where the gods are already expected to be meddling with the PCs, and vice versa. When I was working on iconifying some FR deities, I found the largest challenge was figuring out plausible interactions and weaknesses for them. You have to kind of avoid the "well X can kill Y because they're both gods" kinds of traps, and focus on figuring out what makes the iconified gods vulnerable, assailable, (effectively) mortal. Once you know how the plot could threaten any of them, you're pretty set.

Actually my game is in FR, and the campaign is called Lost Gods, and is about the gods meddling in the hunt for a lost one, whose name I won't mention in case my players come here.

Who did you choose for each? I am particularly interested in Tymora and Bahamut, as my players have a cleric and Paladin of those gods.

I was also thinking of making some Icons exarchs and some just people.

poshniallo on
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular

That's one of the weird things about Forgotten Realms. All the gods can be brought low through puissance, so most of them don't have specific mortal weaknesses.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476

Actually my game is in FR, and the campaign is called Lost Gods, and is about the gods meddling in the hunt for a lost one, whose name I won't mention in case my players come here.

Who did you choose for each? I am particularly interested in Tymora and Bahamut, as my players have a cleric and Paladin of those gods.

I wrote the deities as icons rather than fitting them into the 13 slots. I don't really know how well it worked, the game got backburnered shortly thereafter. It was a fun exercise though. If I did it again and had a better grasp on who would qualify, I'd definitely do what you'd hinted at, and have some to all of the icons be more on the mortal, "standard" NPC side of the spectrum, leaving the deities to still just be deities.

• Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    13th Age Adventure Time is pretty rad.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Sabbat PBP recruitment is go.

Again, playing this by ear, using my NWoD and Laws of the Night as reference, so I'll take questions and conflicts as they come.

wVEsyIc.png
    edited August 2013

I wrote the deities as icons rather than fitting them into the 13 slots. I don't really know how well it worked, the game got backburnered shortly thereafter. It was a fun exercise though. If I did it again and had a better grasp on who would qualify, I'd definitely do what you'd hinted at, and have some to all of the icons be more on the mortal, "standard" NPC side of the spectrum, leaving the deities to still just be deities.

Yeah, I've decided to make them exarchs, chosen, and political figures. 4e Elminster can be the Archmage, now he's broken and vulnerable. I think I'll make an exarch of Bahamut as the Great Gold Wyrm, that leader of Thay can be the Lich King, and I'll just make up most of the others.

Now to somehow convince my 4e-loving friends to convert to 13th Age.

poshniallo on
  • LeperLeper Registered User regular
    [not snark, rhetorical] Why would they?

What does it offer that 4e doesn't? What is inherently unique to the system that could not simply be bolted on to 4e? What does it do that they like? What don't they like about 4e that it would provide?

If you can answer those, it should be easy.

If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
    Leper wrote: »
    [not snark, rhetorical] Why would they?

What does it offer that 4e doesn't? What is inherently unique to the system that could not simply be bolted on to 4e? What does it do that they like? What don't they like about 4e that it would provide?

If you can answer those, it should be easy.

I'm not sure what they like. Most of them haven't played any or many other RPGs. They certainly enjoy 4e, but two of them, on reading the reviews of 13th Age, loved the sound of it. Generally, we have felt a lack of narrative options, and the newbies have struggled with 4e's tactical complexity.

I like it much more, while still liking 4e very much. But 13th Age is literally what I dream D&D should be. And I don't want to just bolt on Icons, or One Unique Thing - I like the whole kit and caboodle.

I am showing them it now, and hoping they like it enough to suggest porting themselves. I don't want to push them, because they might prefer 4e but be willing to go along with what the DM wants.

There is one player who loves min-maxing and has built his 4e character for the next 10 levels or so. I am worried he might not like 13th Age.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Thing is you don't have to convert or anything

nobody plays just one system

try 13th age and see how you like a different style, then you can go back, chop and change etc

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    13th Age has a great mechanic in escalation die, which if I was still running 4E I would have adapted in so many ways - notably solos. Solos would be designed around escalation die instead of recharges, so that powers unlock with the number of ED they have. So as a fight goes on they get increasingly dangerous, hopefully corresponding to a lack of hit points and therefore do more interesting things.

ED would have let me easily balance things such as the issues of stun/daze and conditions debilitating solos. They could spend ED to automatically cancel these conditions - while simultaneously reducing their total power (by removing access to more powerful abilities). If a solo starts with some of them, you therefore give an important element to the combat in the players attempting to remove them with conditions or risk a gigantic damage dump at an awkward time. The more powerful a solo the quicker or slower it could generate ED - especially if you make the die types different like d4, d6 and so on.

It's just a fantastic concept and I have always wanted to try 13th age to see how it worked for myself.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Solar wrote: »
    Thing is you don't have to convert or anything

nobody plays just one system

try 13th age and see how you like a different style, then you can go back, chop and change etc

40-somethings with families, hard jobs and very little free time often play only one system.

And since I am already playing 4e, if I can do another system I'd rather do something from a different genre. So although I could play 4e AND 13th Age, I dunno if that would be the best use of my limited free time.

Well why not put 4th ed on hiatus at some point and give 13th Age a go?

If you really want to play 13th Age, that is

Coz the story is pretty great at the moment, and most people are very happy with their characters. The Ranger is even planning to build a lair near town and work to defend it. There are story twists and personal choices coming up that are going to be great.

But thanks for the advice - sorry to naysay everything.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    So are we waiting for Vanguard to make the new thread, since we are now at 100 pages on this one?

• MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    I think the usual MO is to wait for a thread to get locked before creating a new one, if that vaguely remembered rule still holds fast.

Coz the story is pretty great at the moment, and most people are very happy with their characters. The Ranger is even planning to build a lair near town and work to defend it. There are story twists and personal choices coming up that are going to be great.

But thanks for the advice - sorry to naysay everything.

Is it possible for you guys to create your characters in 13th age as they are, then try a session or two with a different system? That way you can keep on playing the same game, but also try a different method.

We did it waaaaay back with a supers game, transitioned from Savage Worlds (bleh!) to Mutants and Masterminds (woo!). It worked very well.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

For new role players especially this sounds like a great way to get them to hate 13th Age. It will always be viewed as the game that "took away" the 4th edition game they loved. There is typically a big attitude difference between those who have been playing for a long time and those who have just started when you're talking about system changes.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Aegeri wrote: »
    It's just a fantastic concept and I have always wanted to try 13th age to see how it worked for myself.

In case you didn't see, and for the thread at large since I didn't think to mention it here: I started that 13th Age game thread.

poshniallo is suffering from the same decision I had with my groups. I did the FR port stuff for my one 4e game, it went along for a couple sessions but summer and having lots of other stuff to do put the entire group on pause. I'm slowly working up a 13th Age game with them. With my other group, my 4e game is officially on hold while they run their 4e games and I start work on my Urban Arcana-esque 13th Age game.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'll make the new thread. Going to actually make a good OP this time.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I'll make the new thread. Going to actually make a good OP this time.

Do we need to grab our whips and lash you to work harder, @vanguard?

Geth roll 1d20 for old times sake

old times sake:
    1d20 7 [1d20=7]

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

For new role players especially this sounds like a great way to get them to hate 13th Age. It will always be viewed as the game that "took away" the 4th edition game they loved. There is typically a big attitude difference between those who have been playing for a long time and those who have just started when you're talking about system changes.

I have been playing rpgs since babby and I often forget or misunderstand how a new player would see something

fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.