As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VALVE STEAM. STEAM OS. STEAM MACHINES. 48 HOURS REMAIN.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    all probes will be named after you, Fyndir

a memorial floating around every orbitable hunk of rock

ThisiswhatI%2520want.jpg

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I don't...

I don't know what that OP picture is of but I am like fairly sure it's in the MGM Grand because I just stayed there?

In other news my friend gave me Don't Starve for my birthday and I am like, realllll bad at it.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Man, Gunpoint is really cool you guys.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Never was interested in ever quest but the stuff they showed and announced is really exciting. Like even if the game play is a little generic or whatever it's still really ambitious and I hope they can make it really work. Cause if they do I'll be on it like a fly on stink.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    the next MMO I'm anticipating is Wildstar

Guild Wars 2 didn't remain interesting as long as I hoped it would
    lots of good ideas, but the end-game content didn't interest me (same for every MMO I've played, really)
    and the living world content have weak storytelling

considering that Wildstar lets players customize their own homestead, and create a battle fortress (which can dock with other fortresses for PvP), I remain hopeful

I will say, Everquest looked way more cool when I was younger

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I chronically skim the storytelling parts in MMOs

But man, Trahearne made it that much easier to SKIP SKIP SKIPSKIPSKIP

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I wasted

so much time playing EQ. And because I'm dumb I tried to play as a Ranger which kind of sucked for a good long while. And forget soloing ever. I really hate Brad McQuaid.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Guild wars 2 was so neat

I excitedly recommended it to some friends

then quit after 2 weeks

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I have pretty low regard for a lot of the EQ developers

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I like guild wars two but I don't really like it.

I also like the secret world but I don't really like it.

I really don't want to go back to WoW because nothing eats my life like wow.

It's just that I enjoy leveling in wow the most out of any mmo I've played so far.

and I never really do endgame shit in any mmo

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Realm Reborn! It's better now, we promise.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Realm reborn is pretty bad. But then I never played the original. Maybe it killed people or something.

• Options
    When I rebuild my PC as a Haswell monster I will put GW2 on max settings and go look at how damn pretty that game is. It reminds me of Prince of Persia 2008 in a way.

Hmmm where's some good screenshot fodder...

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    Guild wars 2 was so neat

I excitedly recommended it to some friends

then quit after 2 weeks

yeah

actually what is the cool mmo that all the cool kids play

I guess league has kinda taken that spot

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    The debut video for EQN can be found here. It doesn't really talk about much until around 28 minutes in. It apparently was split into two videos, so don't forget to watch the second part too.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Rift is ok...

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    the next MMO I'm anticipating is Wildstar

Guild Wars 2 didn't remain interesting as long as I hoped it would
    lots of good ideas, but the end-game content didn't interest me (same for every MMO I've played, really)
    and the living world content have weak storytelling

considering that Wildstar lets players customize their own homestead, and create a battle fortress (which can dock with other fortresses for PvP), I remain hopeful

I will say, Everquest looked way more cool when I was younger

I've never been into MMOs, but Wildstar has my attention for its visual style alone

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    so that new EQ thing sounds like they're trying to take the sandbox world parts of minecraft and couple them with MMO mechanics, which could be quite fun and addictive if done right. But since it's a finite, possibly non-randomized world rather than a procedurally generated, practically endless world to mess around with, I wonder how well they can capture the spirit of it? Minecraft with building things taken out wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    Realm reborn is pretty bad. But then I never played the original. Maybe it killed people or something.

booooooooo

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular

In half a century, it will be known as the Fyndir Debris Field.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    eqn seems like an impossible dream

• Options
    SenorTacosSenorTacos Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqSbYsUalMQ&feature=player_embedded

You arrive home after a year abroad. You expect your family to greet you, but the house is empty. Something's not right. Where is everyone? And what's happened here?

Gone home is an interactive exploration simulator. Interrogate every detail of a seemingly normal house to discover the story of the people who live there. Open any drawer and door. Pick up objects and examine them to discover clues. Uncover the events of one family's lives by investigating what they've left behind.

Go home again.

Looks pretty neat, it'll be on steam on the 15th.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

In half a century, it will be known as the Fyndir Debris Field.

Once I get through my forumer donor list

your name's next

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    So I was bathing my babby and getting her ready for bed, when I sat down to start rocking her to sleep, only to find a quakecon bundle from ??? waiting for me.

I'm not sure if it's coincidence or they knew, but holy crap that's a hell of a birthday present.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    SenorTacos wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqSbYsUalMQ&feature=player_embedded

You arrive home after a year abroad. You expect your family to greet you, but the house is empty. Something's not right. Where is everyone? And what's happened here?

Gone home is an interactive exploration simulator. Interrogate every detail of a seemingly normal house to discover the story of the people who live there. Open any drawer and door. Pick up objects and examine them to discover clues. Uncover the events of one family's lives by investigating what they've left behind.

Go home again.

Looks pretty neat, it'll be on steam on the 15th.

Goddammit I don't need more games I want!

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    My MMO these days is STO. It's the first MMO I've played in a long while where hitting level 50 didn't suddenly mean grinding the same three large-group raids over and over again so you could get the gear to do the elite version of those three raids so you could get the gear to do the nightmare version of those three raids. I mean, they have group content, but I could hop into the elites right away and if I wanted to just go flying around exploring new worlds I could do that too.

Also the duty officer system is like playing Starship Simulator and is pretty addictive

The Everquest info sounds interesting but I'm pretty sure twenty MMOs have promised the exact same stuff and none of them have ever delivered.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I like what I've seen of the combat in EQN (pretty much only what's in this video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdgPuEl5Nuk&feature=youtu.be

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SkylarkSkylark o7 Vile Rat o7 o7 Photon Torpedo o7Registered User regular
    is there more information about it than what's in that OP? sounds like a peter molyneux pitch just from that.

e: ah there's links to post-embargo info at the top, missed that
    "I'd like to introduce you to muh balls."

• Options
    edited August 2013
    So if anyone wants to see a couple of my kerbal things...

Orbital Jet WIP
    heyzak_zps72ab2e01.jpg
    Still trying to figure out to properly make it lift off, and steer once it is in the air. Might need to adjust my centers of mass/lift/thrust.

@Fyndir I in orbit!
    FyndirIkerbit_zps7f76c696.jpg
    5 km lower on the periapsis (that's the point in orbit where the satellite veers closest to the parent body) and it would be dragged out by the atmosphere D:

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    yes yes I want to see all the shiny excellent Kerbal stuffs!

• Options
    Oh, and latest Starbound screenshot:
    screen2.png

I know, I know. It can look like Terraria in space. But it sounds like it's going to have some serious depth to the gameplay. Now let's pray that the God of Disappointment doesn't smite us all for my hype.

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    you will be smitten

you will be in deep smit

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    So @Darmak obviously has gone off the deep end and has gifted me motherfuckin' Shadowrun Returns
    I have no words
    only love

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Well

New Vegas is $5 on steam this weekend

worth it?

• Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    new vegas is at least as good as a 5$ cup of coffee but will last you up to 600 times longer

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Who spends $5 on a cup of coffee!

But I did figure as much, I'll probably make some hard drive space and buy it tomorrow

• Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    I guess coffee is cheaper where you are, so it's as good as ... lunch? full tank of gas? a pound of human flesh?

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    ...Hot Chunky Caspian?

• Options
    SenorTacosSenorTacos Registered User regular
    For 5 bucks its a steal.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I think my manned space ship is going to depend on a jet engine platform system

Stage
    Low altitude jets are employed, until reaching optimal altitude for turbo jet engines

Stage
    High altitude jets kick in, and when they reach max power the low altitude jets will be ejected

Stage
    When high altitude jets reach the optimal height I aim the craft straight up, eject the jet engines, and activate the solid rocket booster to help me clear the atmosphere

Stage
    Once atmosphere is broken, I will begin to assume orbit and eject solid fuel rockets when they are spent
    Liquid fuel is activated, and orbit will be achieved

Then after that I'm (hopefully) going to have a system worked out where I can re-enter atmosphere land land that sucker on the runway

You're carrying a lot of weight for your first manned mission. Stable orbits are easiest when you curve gently into them, and blasting straight up out of atmo from 65km isn't exactly subtle. Remember you have to generate a tremendous amount of lateral motion while you're ascending; if you're still boosting straight up at that height and ground velocity you're going to push your apoapse straight up... and your descending trajectory straight back down into the planet. You can correct when you get up there, if you have enough fuel and enough thrust, but it's extraordinarily costly and you'll need a much larger vehicle than you otherwise would. Better to just continue thrusting maybe 5 degrees above the prograde marker to increase your orbital velocity and therefore your apoapse height... without killing your descending trajectory.

Incidentally, solid fuels have a great thrust/weight ratio but they are still heavy as all get out, so they're mostly used to help get truly enormous things off the launch pad. I think there were eight on the VULLVA* with which I took the KISS** into orbit.

* (Very Unreasonably Large Launch Vehicle Assembly)

** (Kerbal International Space Station)

This discussion has been closed.