As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[OOC] Vampire: The Masquerade - Dividing the Quarter [Sabbat PBP]

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited August 2013 in Critical Failures
pp_sabbat.jpg

For I say unto thee, I am the Sword of Caine, and thou art thrice damned.
-Sascha Vykos, Tzimisce Elder (time unknown)

It's a time of reverie and celebration for the Camarilla of the southeastern United States.

The Sabbat are on the run after a vicious attempt at taking control over the dirty south.

A blindsided offense gave them a brief advantage, and control over the entire state of Florida.

Much of Georgia and parts of Alabama were lost before a counter-offensive directed by a renown Prince from the French Quarter turned the tide.

The Sabbat and their fanatical packs have been sent scurrying back into the darkness from whence they came, and the deep south can again breathe easy.

That will be their downfall.

The direct approach has failed, yet again.

It's time for another method of attack.

Whether you were bashed upside the head by a shovel as your initiation, are a devout priest long promised to uphold the Sabbat ideals, or are a veteran from the Old Country begrudging an assignment to the unclean New World, you are a member of the pack tasked with infiltrating Baton Rouge, whatever childish Elysium(s) the Camarilla are maintaining in Louisiana, and destroying them from within.

By any means necessary. Cause a revolt. Make the factions fight amongst themselves. Shatter the Masquerade.

Or just deliver the Prince's head on a stake, via self-addressed stamped courier, straight back to Madrid.

Just get it done. Or meet the sun in the morning.

That is the ultimatum left to those of you gathered by the fire.

So now, then.

Who will step forward and claim glory for the Sword of Caine?

This is something of a homebrew effort. Everything setting, stats, abilities, disciplines, and lore wise is completely Old World of Darkness: Vampire the Masquerade.

The rules and mechanics are 100% NWoD.

Creation

V:TM 20th Edition sheet:
http://mrgone.rocksolidshells.com/pdf/V20/V20_4-Page_Neonate_RevBorder.pdf

Background:

V:TM games are typically in a Camarilla setting: a Vampiric society founded to maintain the Masquerade, designed to keep humanity in the dark(so to speak) about the existence of vampires.

The Sabbat are different. To them, human are sheep, and the Camarilla are blinded cowards who should be basking in their vampiric history, not shying away from it.
The Sabbat are also intent on finding the Antediluvians before they destroy everything. The Camarilla would rather stick their heads in the sand.

On Clans: No Tremere. None. Beyond that, you can be just about anything independent, Sabbat, or antitribu.
But have a damn good story in mind if you're the latter. or an indie with no good business being in the Sabbat. (Don't expect me to approve your Giovanni Pack Priest.)

Clan History

Ridiculously thorough clan break down:
http://wiki.white-wolf.com/worldofdarkness/index.php?title=Clan_(VTM)

Short version:
Lasombra (Sabbat):
Spanish nobility who control the Sabbat. Some don't follow humanity, but the Path of Night, to become closer to darkness and further from 'humanity'.
Lasombra can physically manipulate the shadows, and strive to lead the Kindred of the Sabbat not only to subjugate humankind and erase the Camarilla from the face of the earth, but to seek out and eliminate the Antediluvians(the eldest of Kindred, rumored to be locked in centuries of slumber) before they rise up and devour the lesser Kindred.

Tzimisce(Sabbat):
Fiends whose members range from ancient sorcerers to fleshcrafters who treat human victims as experiments to create horrid beasts.
The Tzimisce aren't simply feared by the Camarilla: even fellow Sabbat dread the shapeshifting abilities of the Fiends. Tzimisce possess a unique ability called Vicissitude, or fleshcrafting, and use their discipline not only to create nightmarish beasts for the armies of the Sabbat, but to inflict suffering and boundless torture on whatever creature(human, kindred, or otherwise) unfortunate enough to fall into their grasp. The Tzimisce don't regard such treatments as cruel, however: it's merely a form of science to them. Most even find pleasure in it.

Ventrue(Camarilla):
The founding clan of the Camarilla. Born leaders, naturally gifted at commanding lesser Kindred to do their bidding. Least likely to betray the Camarilla, but it certainly happens.

Brujah(Camarilla):
The Brujah fill a popular role in vampiric existence: the rebel. Brujah tend to disregard leadership, and many of their clan tend not to follow the Camarilla at all, instead functioning as Anarchs(Kindred who seek complete free will from any kind of leadership). However, most still maintain close ties with the Camarilla, and many Brujah seem to be far more clever and informed than their frequently violent, sociopathic demeanors suggest. Probably the most likely clan to turn Antitribu.

Tremere(Camarilla - banned):
Sometimes called Warlocks by other Kindred. Both feared and distrusted, the Tremere are reported to have become Kindred not through means of the Embrace like most vampires, but through usage of their clan's elaborate knowledge of blood magic. Kindred adopted into the Tremere clan are partially bounded to the clan's elders upon inception. Tremere do not betray the Tremere, and any who try are destroyed without fail. Every Tremere who betrayed the Camarilla was destroyed, without exception.

Toreador(Camarilla):
Toreador are the types of vampires you may be used to in stereotypical fiction and media: the artists, the goths, the ones who treat vampirism not as a curse, but as a never ending celebration. Toreador enjoy undead existence more than most, and this makes them the most despised of Kindred among those who don't view being undead as something to be treated lightly(particularly the Nosferatu). Antitribu Toreador are scary.

Malkavians(Camarilla):
The Malkavian's alternate title says it all: other Kindred refer to them as the Lunatics. Every Malkavian is cursed with an incurable insanity. This insanity can be anything from unstoppable homicidal tendencies to near catatonia. However, in addition to their lunacy, Malkavians are also gifted with insight to the inner workings of reality and existence.
If Camarilla Malkavians are like the Joker, Sabbat ones would be Hannibal Lecter.

Nosferatu(Camarilla):
The most cursed of all Kindred, even for vampires. Nosferatu are disfigured beyond repair upon their Embrace, so much that they can't be seen in mortal society for fear of immediately breaching the Masquerade upon sight. As a result, Nosferatu keep to their shadows, and more often than not, to themselves. They maintain ties with the Camarilla for their own unknown ends, while the Camarilla keep the Nosferatu around for their unmatched information network, though most would sooner have them stay in the sewers where they belong.

Gangrel(Camarilla/Independent):
Most bestial and feral of all Kindred, the Gangrel are expert survivalists. They know how to survive outside the cities that most Kindred exclusively rely on for their havens, so they are usually the first ones to escape bad situations unscathed. Why they maintain ties with the Camarilla is anyone's guess, but some believe it's because without the Masquerade kept intact, the Gangrel have little to no chance of staying unnoticed by human society. After a major event in the late 90s, most of the clan left the Camarilla, but they're still given a place in most cities. Few are Antitribu, but they do exist.

Assamites (Independent) : Middle Eastern-based clan of assassins, strict on tradition. They may work with another faction, but they will never serve them. (ST Approval only, highly unlikely.)

Giovanni (Independent):
The Giovanni are relied upon as completely neutral Kindred to be used in mediating any business transaction. As such, the Giovanni are rarely regarded in cross-faction conflicts, and trusted even less. Their professional appearances as masters of finance and business are merely a front for their darker ties: sometimes referred to as Graverobbers, the Giovanni are gifted Necromancers, capable of manipulating the dead to do their bidding. (ST Approval only, highly unlikely.)

Ravnos (Independent):
Wandering nomads known as Gypsies. Not liked by any other clan, trusted even less. Ironically, this is the clan I'd most likely approve of the independents, but you'd still need approval.

Setite (Independent)
The Serpents serve the ancient Egyptian god known as Set. They assist other clans, but always put their own clan(and Set) first. Masters of manipulation, and seldom trusted. The Nosferatu despise them, because they believe Set is one of their founder's Childer, and out to destroy them.

Samedi, Daughters of Cacophony, and Salubri are bloodlines, and extremely rare.

Stats
Attributes: Physical/Social/Mental - 5/4/3, additional will cost XP
Abilities: Talents/Skills/Knowledges - 11/7/4 (+ three specializations), additional will cost XP
Disciplines: Four dots at creation, additional will cost XP
Generation Default: 12 (can be increased with XP)
Path: Depends on character. If Humanity, default is 6. No bonus XP for going down.
Health: Stamina + Size
Willpower: Charisma + Perception

XP Costs (Post creation, tentative)
Abilities - New dot x3
Attribute - New dot x5
Background - New dot x2
Discipline - New dot x3(Basic), x5(Intermediate), x8(Advanced)
Add an extra dot if out of clan, ST approval for clan-specific disciplines.
Merit - New dot x2
Morality - New dot x3

Rules
Characters will roll however many dice they have to determine roll results.
For example, a character has a 2 in Athletics and a 3 in Dexterity.
I determine the challenge has a difficulty of four. The character can roll 5d10s. Each roll with a 8 or higher is a success.

You role 8, 4, 2, 10, 8. The 10 grants you a reroll, and you land a 9. You succeed.

I will be using NWoD experience costs with OWoD skills and backgrounds.
According to Laws of the Night, Sabbat have minimal need for backgrounds, but you're welcome to purchase them if you feel it necessary.
(Given your assignment, it very well could prove useful.)

Subtract them from your existing points, or use the bonus 30 XP I'm providing at creation as desired.

Again, this is a homebrew endeavor, so I'm playing a lot of this by ear. Questions welcome, I'll address any concerns as they come along.

If all else fails: costs will be dictated by NWoD Rules, abilities by OWoD. If you want to use a Nature/Demeanor from NWoD, or any particular fluff that you feel would add to your character, let me know and I'll likely approve it unless it's wildly off base.

I'm hoping for four players, six at absolute max, but preferably four.

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    You have my attention.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Mine as well. Been years since I touched oWoD and I've never messed with the new stuff, though.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    You should be fine. NWoD mechanics are infinitely easier to play with and especially to ST. I'll write up more of a primer as needed.

wVEsyIc.png
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    I've got an eye on this as well.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    I used to play and ST a decent amount of oWoD back in the day, though I never kept up with the Metaplot and only used the Camarilla and the main book. I own the nWoD human book and Vampire book but nothing new, though I think they are boxed up now. Still if someone with no access to the books but some familiarity is cool, I'd like to apply.

Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Very interested.

If an xp chart for nWOD costs could be ginned up, that would be very helpful.

Are Merits/Flaws and their costs oWOD or new?

OminousLozenge on
    Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Merits/Flaws costs will be NWoD, but you can use any from either, pending my approval.
    They both use a similar point system, so just think of the costs as XP based.

You have seven points to spend on merits, and can use flaws or XP to add more as needed.

Costs (Tentative):

Abilities - New dot x3
    Attribute - New dot x5
    Background - New dot x2
    Discipline - New dot x3(Basic), x5(Intermediate), x8(Advanced)
    Add an extra dot if out of clan, ST approval for clan-specific disciplines.
    Merit - New dot x2
    Morality - New dot x3

wVEsyIc.png
    So what books am I going to need here? oWoD core, V:TM, nWoD core, V:TR? Also, I have a second edition V:TM Player's Guide. Is that going to work or do I need to seek out a first edition?

edited August 2013
    All you should really need is a V:TM creation book. Heck, there's enough resources online that you don't really need anything.

Here's one, offhand:
    Merits & Flaws (V:TM)

I'm using NWoD Core for mechanics, but I'll explain anything necessary from that.
    I don't own a Requiem book, so I'll be winging Vampire-specific stuff and/or adjusting from my Masquerade books(2e & LotN).

You're welcome to use any edition of V:TM necessary, and I'll adjust as needed.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    GMC apparently changed how nWoD does xp entirely, and rebalanced the merits pretty comprehensively. I don't have it, so I thought I'd check in case you were going with the new nWoD stuff.

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
    edited August 2013
    Neither do I, so we're going vanilla NWoD.

Unless it's that big a deal and people feel strongly about it, I'll stick with what I know.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited August 2013

However, if more want to play, bump me.

Assuran on
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I have seen the PbP threads, and they sound fun. I'm new to this stuff though, and know nothing of this format. I wouldn't mind playing, but don't want to upset folk for not knowing things. Guess question is, does it matter if I know nothing about it to play?

I also only have limited play in pathfinder at a local comic book store. So it isn't like I have lots of exp in anything.

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
    Not at all. I'd rather you be drawn by the setting than by the play.

wVEsyIc.png
    edited August 2013
    Well I would love to play than, but have to mention I'm trying to get something going. I guess my first confusion is I don't see a "class".

So I looked at that wiki, and found this link to Character creation

I came up with a little back story like it said:. I also tried to fill in everything like you said above. I can't find size. And some of there attributes didn't match the sheet you linked? If I did this horrible wrong, well I'm sorry and am willing to learn. If there are more experience ready to go, I'm also willing to step down. I hope you like my back story. I also tried to pick a clan that is said was more sociable to make it easier first go around.
    Chidi Panders:
    Had his father slaughtered before his eyes. His father was of the Samedi bloodline, because of this, he has chosen Clan Lasombra. As a 12th Generation his main goal is to bring his father back to life, even if under his control due to his chosen path of Necromancy (The Bone Path).

Chidi's entire Left side of his body is badly burned. He rare talks about it, but from what is know it was due to a fire that he created. It not know why he created a fire, and what he was atempting to accomplish. One this is known however, due to surviving, his Stamina is higher than some originally suspected (4). It has however left his dexterity and strength in a weakened state (2) (2).

Due to Chidi's anger at the incident, his composure is nearly non existent (1). He is known to have a temper due to this. While he has little charm, he has learned to coerce others to do his will through manipulation (4). This seems to work best for him, as his ability to lead is not very useful (2).

His burning desire to accomplish his goal has left him with great resolve (3). This however has left him forgetting things, and not bothering to learn above a primal rage for his intelligence (1). The only thing that has saved him at times is his wits do to his rage (2).

His wits along with his manipulation have lead him to have decent alertness (2) and Awareness (2). His tempor forever getting him in trouble has lead him to be more streetwise (3) and brawl (3) when needed. Manipulaiton has also lead him to have some minor subterfuge (1).

All of the street smarts and brawling let him easily dip into Larceny (2). It has also hardened his Melee (3). This has all lead to a hard life. Such a hard life his Survival (2) is of use.

His desire to learn of necromancy started him in Academics (1) but he failed in his desire there. This however lead him to study Science (1) to see if he could accomplish his goal this way. To no avail he fell into the Occult (2).

This has left him with willpower (1) but not a lot. Almost depressed regardless of his resolve to push on. It has also left him with the merit of Natural Immunity (1). Know one is sure, but also due to the fire he has the merit to Toxin Resistance (2). His studies in the occult as lead him to have the merit of Difficult to Ride (4).

Unfortently due to is lack of social skills he has the flaw of Behavior Blind. Obviously leading to more brawls, and fights. The burns on your body also give him a flaw of being lame on that side. However, due to these two flaws, he has gained the merit Combat Awareness. This is not always useful, as he will sometimes fail due to being partial lame.
    I don't know if you accept the two flows to add the last merit. Basically I wanted him to get in lots of fights, and be good at melee. Because of this combat awareness made sense. I felt because he was burned, he should be partially lame. Due to this while he is right handed, so fighting isn't always bad, sometimes his lameness just is bad luck.

Anyway help is appreciated.

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
    edited August 2013
    Let me see...

First, there are no classes (THANK YOU, BEJEVIUS!) its more about creating a concept and then fleshing it out with stats, skills, merits, ect.

Now with me, I'm pretty much doing my sheet like so....
    Name: Benjemen Morhouse
    Clan: Ventrue
    Nature: Perfectionist
    Demeanor: Autocrat
    Generation: 12
    Chronicle: Dividing the Quarter
    Concept: Oil Tycoon
    Sire:

Attributes
    Strength 1 Charisma 3 Perception 1
    Dexterity 2 Manipulation 3 Intelligence 3
    Stamina 2 Appearance 2 Wits 2

Talents
    Awareness 2
    Leadership 3
    Subterfuge 2

Skills
    Etiquette 2
    Firearms 2

Knowledge
    Computer 1
    Finance 4
    Law 2
    Politics 2
    Technology 2

Disciplines
    Dominate 2
    Presence 2

Merits
    Resources 4

Which I'm going to have to see how messy it looks when I'm done. Then you can write a backstory that doesn't include every single stat, skill, and what not in it (unless you want too).

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, there are no classes and unless something changed drastically in V20 clans are not a voluntary proposition; you inherit yours from the vampire who Embraced you.

Also, attributes still start at 1, I believe, so there shouldn't be any zeroes floating around except perhaps in Virtues. That said cj's using formulas unfamiliar to me for Health and Willpower and Attribute / Ability quotas that aren't the ones I recall either, so maybe something did; I was a 2E guy.

Currently I am trying to decide whether Lasombra, Ventrue, or Brujah will make for a more fun pack warleader embraced during World War 1.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited August 2013
    I will raise all my attributes by 1 than. Also, as for the story, I like it. I can organize on a sheet if needed. So, am I not supposed to start as a vampire? I do appreciate that so far people are being helpful. I was worried as I know nothing of this, but it sounded cool.

DyasAlure on
    No, you'd be starting as a vampire, but you don't get to "choose Clan Lasombra." If Chidi's sire was a Samedi, he would be too... again, unless something has changed pretty dramatically from my recollection.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

No. You are correct Aura. Its like having Jewish parents makes you Jewish. Ventrue sire makes you Ventrue.

oh, I said lasombra, because i read that samedi was lasombra clan. maybe I read that wrong. I most likely read that wrong. can't find the wiki now. I ment to be lasombra. so I can change whatever I need to reflect that.

There are 13 clans. Clans have a founder in the Third generation from Caine, the first Vampire. Or had, in a couple of cases and depending on how thoroughly you embrace the canon metaplot. Clans are united by which Disciplines they have access to; within some clans there are Bloodlines with slight differences. Some Malkavians have Dementation, some have Dominate; some Gangrel have Obfuscate and Celerity, others have Auspex and Fortitude, if I recall right. Bloodlines also refer to mini-clans without Third Generation founders, like the Samedi or Gargoyles.

The Samedi are a Bloodline of unclear origin probably related to the Cappadocian clan, whose founder was destroyed by what became the heads of the Giovanni clan during the early Renaissance as best I remember. They all resemble literal zombies more-closely than vampires; the Cappadocians' distinguishing trait was a less-severe version of the same problem.

Necromancy, depending on which rules version you employ, may be a Thaumaturgical discipline available to multiple clans in different Paths or it may be divided between like four different disciplines. Your background suggests the former, which I think became canonical in Revised anyway; I don't recall ever playing after 2E, so I'm not sure. To the best of my knowledge you'd have to buy access to it with experience as a Lasombra, but that's probably in-bounds if unusual.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Ok, I'm ok with doing what is in the rules. As for clan I'm not overly worried accept one thing. My guy is supposed to be social enept. He doesn't want to start things, he just has a tenancy to say stupid things. I was thinking giovanni originally, but I read they were loners and therefor didn't like groups. I wanted to play nice with anyone, so found lasombra. As I said, I'm not worried about clan as long as A: it isn't to much a loner/evil so I don't get along. B: I have the backstory for necromancy cause I'm an idiot who somehow thinks I can bring my dad back. Not smart, hence low intelligence.

I will wait and see what CJ Iwakura says. I can fix my character as needed.

I do hope that everyone is ok with me being new. Like I said before, this sounds like a lot of fun. I think I have a crazy imagination, and want to learn and get better.

So if someone can confirm for me why we're not running with 7/5/3 Attributes and 13 / 9 / 5 Abilities and 3 Virtues that calculate Willpower / Humanity, and 7 health levels for everyone, I'd appreciate knowing what the score is there. :P

I assume that's nWoD-consistent or designed to keep the die pools smaller for PbP, but knowing which would be good.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Its so you can ask questions!

In all honestly, I don't know, but since we are using nWoD system to run oWoD characters, it would seem smarter to keep the die pool as close as possible for the system.

edited August 2013
    The only Sabbat clan I could see having access to Necromancy would be a Tzimisce Koldunic sorcerer, and that's a huge stretch.
    So if it's not a Giovanni or Samedi, ST approval required. And you'd need that even to be a Giovanni or Samedi.

Any bloodline clan is rare by definition, meaning: Samedi, Daughters of Cacophony, Ravnos(they were a clan, but got nearly wiped out), and Salubri.

But yeah, the only 'class' you need to worry about is the clan, which determines the major advantage/flaw, as well as disciplines available. They also go a long way in helping towards a character archetype.

Ridiculously thorough clan break down:
    http://wiki.white-wolf.com/worldofdarkness/index.php?title=Clan_(VTM)

Short version:

Lasombra (Sabbat):
    Spanish nobility who control the Sabbat. Some don't follow humanity, but the Path of Night, to become closer to darkness and further from 'humanity'.
    Lasombra can physically manipulate the shadows, and strive to lead the Kindred of the Sabbat not only to subjugate humankind and erase the Camarilla from the face of the earth, but to seek out and eliminate the Antediluvians(the eldest of Kindred, rumored to be locked in centuries of slumber) before they rise up and devour the lesser Kindred.

Tzimisce(Sabbat):
    Fiends whose members range from ancient sorcerers to fleshcrafters who treat human victims as experiments to create horrid beasts.
    The Tzimisce aren't simply feared by the Camarilla: even fellow Sabbat dread the shapeshifting abilities of the Fiends. Tzimisce possess a unique ability called Vicissitude, or fleshcrafting, and use their discipline not only to create nightmarish beasts for the armies of the Sabbat, but to inflict suffering and boundless torture on whatever creature(human, kindred, or otherwise) unfortunate enough to fall into their grasp. The Tzimisce don't regard such treatments as cruel, however: it's merely a form of science to them. Most even find pleasure in it.

Ventrue(Camarilla):
    The founding clan of the Camarilla. Born leaders, naturally gifted at commanding lesser Kindred to do their bidding. Least likely to betray the Camarilla, but it certainly happens.

Brujah(Camarilla):
    The Brujah fill a popular role in vampiric existence: the rebel. Brujah tend to disregard leadership, and many of their clan tend not to follow the Camarilla at all, instead functioning as Anarchs(Kindred who seek complete free will from any kind of leadership). However, most still maintain close ties with the Camarilla, and many Brujah seem to be far more clever and informed than their frequently violent, sociopathic demeanors suggest. Probably the most likely clan to turn Antitribu.

Tremere(Camarilla - banned):
    Sometimes called Warlocks by other Kindred. Both feared and distrusted, the Tremere are reported to have become Kindred not through means of the Embrace like most vampires, but through usage of their clan's elaborate knowledge of blood magic. Kindred adopted into the Tremere clan are partially bounded to the clan's elders upon inception. Tremere do not betray the Tremere, and any who try are destroyed without fail. Every Tremere who betrayed the Camarilla was destroyed, without exception.

Toreador(Camarilla):
    Toreador are the types of vampires you may be used to in stereotypical fiction and media: the artists, the goths, the ones who treat vampirism not as a curse, but as a never ending celebration. Toreador enjoy undead existence more than most, and this makes them the most despised of Kindred among those who don't view being undead as something to be treated lightly(particularly the Nosferatu). Antitribu Toreador are scary.

Malkavians(Camarilla):
    The Malkavian's alternate title says it all: other Kindred refer to them as the Lunatics. Every Malkavian is cursed with an incurable insanity. This insanity can be anything from unstoppable homicidal tendencies to near catatonia. However, in addition to their lunacy, Malkavians are also gifted with insight to the inner workings of reality and existence.
    If Camarilla Malkavians are like the Joker, Sabbat ones would be Hannibal Lecter.

Nosferatu(Camarilla):
    The most cursed of all Kindred, even for vampires. Nosferatu are disfigured beyond repair upon their Embrace, so much that they can't be seen in mortal society for fear of immediately breaching the Masquerade upon sight. As a result, Nosferatu keep to their shadows, and more often than not, to themselves. They maintain ties with the Camarilla for their own unknown ends, while the Camarilla keep the Nosferatu around for their unmatched information network, though most would sooner have them stay in the sewers where they belong.

Gangrel(Camarilla/Independent):
    Most bestial and feral of all Kindred, the Gangrel are expert survivalists. They know how to survive outside the cities that most Kindred exclusively rely on for their havens, so they are usually the first ones to escape bad situations unscathed. Why they maintain ties with the Camarilla is anyone's guess, but some believe it's because without the Masquerade kept intact, the Gangrel have little to no chance of staying unnoticed by human society. After a major event in the late 90s, most of the clan left the Camarilla, but they're still given a place in most cities. Few are Antitribu, but they do exist.

Assamites (Independent) : Middle Eastern-based clan of assassins, strict on tradition. They may work with another faction, but they will never serve them. (ST Approval only, highly unlikely.)

Giovanni (Independent):
    The Giovanni are relied upon as completely neutral Kindred to be used in mediating any business transaction. As such, the Giovanni are rarely regarded in cross-faction conflicts, and trusted even less. Their professional appearances as masters of finance and business are merely a front for their darker ties: sometimes referred to as Graverobbers, the Giovanni are gifted Necromancers, capable of manipulating the dead to do their bidding. (ST Approval only, highly unlikely.)

Ravnos (Independent):
    Wandering nomads known as Gypsies. Not liked by any other clan, trusted even less. Ironically, this is the clan I'd most likely approve of the independents, but you'd still need approval.

Setite (Independent)
    The Serpents serve the ancient Egyptian god known as Set. They assist other clans, but always put their own clan(and Set) first. Masters of manipulation, and seldom trusted. The Nosferatu despise them, because they believe Set is one of their founder's Childer, and out to destroy them.

Samedi, Daughters of Cacophony, and Salubri are bloodlines, and extremely rare.

I assumed familiarity with V:TM in the OP, so let me know if you need me to be more detailed on anything.

Hope that helps.

Added more story background to the OP.

It's worth nothing that Sabbat campaigns are usually for experienced players(as they're the antagonists in most games), so keep in mind this will be a little unorthodox for V:TM.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited August 2013
    Auralynx wrote: »
    So if someone can confirm for me why we're not running with 7/5/3 Attributes and 13 / 9 / 5 Abilities and 3 Virtues that calculate Willpower / Humanity, and 7 health levels for everyone, I'd appreciate knowing what the score is there. :P

I assume that's nWoD-consistent or designed to keep the die pools smaller for PbP, but knowing which would be good.

We're running with NWoD rules, hence the NWoD numbers.

The 5/4/3 for Attributes are added onto base stats, every attribute starts at 1.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »

The 5/4/3 for Attributes are added onto base stats, every attribute starts at 1.

Okay, so no Virtues? What's Size?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited August 2013
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Okay, so no Virtues? What's Size?

Size is an NWoD stat which dictates health. Default is 5, there are merits/flaws which can change it.

Good question on Virtues. As far as I know, there's no NWoD equivalent. I'll get back to you on that.

Speaking as someone whose first time STing was using 3e rules(and as such was terrible at regulating combat), believe me when I say that NWoD makes it infinitely easier.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    Also, looking at a NWoD sheet vs a oWoD one, Resolve has replaced Perception, and Presence and Composure have replaced Charisma and Appearance. That doesn't appear to have a perfect 1:1 mapping, though Presence seems pretty much identical with Charisma. I assume, if we're using oWoD Attributes (which your Willpower calculation suggests we are, as does wanting us using Disciplines that map to them), that we should assume they just map as Resolve = Perception, Presence = Charisma, and Composure = Appearance (which is hilarious)?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited August 2013
    Yep, you'll notice I replaced NWoD abilities with their OWoD equivalent for calculating stats. And yeah, the Composure = Appearance one is a little janky, but I'll work it out somehow.

For comparison, here's Requiem's sheet:
    http://mrgone.rocksolidshells.com/pdf/VtR/VtR1-Page.pdf
    (I've never run or played Requiem, just NWoD Mage.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited August 2013
    Shouldn't be an issue, just checking.

Merits having a defined rank as dots is also gonna be weird point of intersection; they just have flat costs in oWoD. You buy one, it does X.

Backgrounds were super-important, even if it was different ones for most Sabbat characters than Camarilla ones, in oWoD. Resources, Generation, and Contacts come to mind off the top of my head as ones we'd want; you might want to spot us some free points there unless nWoD makes very different assumptions and we're not automatically hobos if we have Resources 0.

Reading the wiki version we should maybe just use the nWoD merit system, treat Backgrounds as merits (most seem to have rough equivalents) and let Flaws come from either game? Looks like what you were shooting for with the XP costs.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited August 2013
    Going off Laws of the Night, it says Sabbat don't even get background points at creation. You have to use free points(which I did give out).
    Sabbat do get 4 discipline points instead of 3, so there's that.

2e doesn't even have any Sabbat rules, and that's the only other sourcebook I have, so I'm going by LotN, unless this sounds wildly off base.

And I'm fine with Merits/Flaws coming from either game, pending approval(though obviously NWoD background-based ones would be kind of redundant).

Also, resources 0 doesn't mean you're hobos necessarily, but that you essentially live check to check.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    That's workable, just trying to be consistent. Looks like as of Revised everyone got 5 background points at creation, but you gave us a ton of XP to play with; they can easily come out of there.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I think Disciplines are probably slightly undercosted at the moment if we're using oWoD Potence / Fortitude / Celerity, in particular.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Character draft as it stands presently, detailed background to follow when I'm not about to go to bed.
    Otto Eichelberger
    Nature: Survivor Demeanor: Autocrat Clan: Lasombra Generation: 10
    Concept: Traumatized WWI Oberleutnant Sire: Unknown

Attributes:
    Physical: Strength 3, Dexterity 2, Stamina 3
    Social: Charisma 3, Manipulation 2, Appearance 2
    Mental: Perception 2, Intelligence 2, Wits 2

Abilities:
    Talents (11): Alertness 1, Athletics 1, Awareness 2, Brawl 2, Leadership 3, Subterfuge 2
    Skills (7): Drive 1, Etiquette 2, Firearms 3 (9 xp for 3rd rank), Melee 2 (6 xp for 2nd rank), Stealth 1
    Knowledges (4): Academics 1, Investigation 1, Politics 2

Disciplines: Potence 2 (2 automatic successes on Strength tests except to-hit. +2 to Melee / Brawl damage), Dominate 2 (Command, Mesmerize), Fortitude 1 (6 XP, 1 extra Soak die)

Health: 8 / 8 Willpower: 5/5 Blood Pool: ? / 13

Path of Honorable Accord: 6 (http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Path_of_Honorable_Accord)

Merits / Backgrounds:
    Iron Will (3): You are almost supernaturally determined. When you are affected by a Dominate power, you may spend a point of Willpower to shake off the effects. You receive 3 extra dice to resist the effects of any mind-altering magic, spell, or Thaumaturgy path. This Merit does not affect Presence or other powers dealing with the emotions.
    Natural Leader (1): +2 dice on Leadership rolls.
    Resources 2 (4): Otto maintains a thriving trade in war memorabilia.
    Generation 2 (4): Otto is a 10th Generation vampire.
    Status (Sabbat) 1 (2): Otto is slightly respected within the Sabbat.

Flaws:
    Flashbacks (6): Your Embrace deeply traumatised you, and you occasionally have flashbacks to it that seriously impede your ability to function. At the beginning of each story, make a Willpower roll. If you succeed, you may participate in the story as normal. If you fail, your Willpower is considered to be 1 for the duration of that session.
    1 xp

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    ooh, I've been jonesing for some Vampire for quite a while. I'll start my character tonight and I'll make sure it's all wrapped up by Tuesday.

Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Questions on charcter creation: Is there a cap on how high a given attribute/ability/discipline score with which a character can begin? (examples could be no attributes starting @ 5 dots or no discipline can begin higher than 3 dots, etc. )

I have VTM: Revised Edition (which is considered "3rd" I think. It's the latest core vtm book excluding vtm20th anniv) Is all of the stat info (disciplines, attributes, etc.) congruent from this book or do I need to reference anything from vtm20th anniv book?

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
    edited August 2013
    All right. I apologize for messing up the clan stuff. I have moved away from necromancy, as it sounds like it is not common, and I want to be more common. With that said I updated my story:
    Chidi Panders is of the 12th generation.
    Had his father slaughtered before his eyes. His father was of the Lasombra bloodline, because of this, he has chosen the path of night. His main goal is to redeam himself for not being able to save his father. He is burdened thinking it was his fault.

Chidi's entire Left side of his body is badly burned. He rarely talks about it, but from what is know it was due to a fire that he created. It is not know why he created a fire, and what he was atempting to accomplish. One this is known however, due to surviving, his Stamina is higher than some originally suspected (4). It has however left his dexterity and strength in a weakened state (2) (2).

Due to Chidi's anger at the incident, his Appearance is nearly non existent (1). He is known to have a temper due to this. While he has little charm, he has learned to coerce others to do his will through manipulation (4). This seems to work best for him, although his Charisma (2) is lower.

His burning desire to accomplish his goal has left him with great Perception (3) on life. This however has left him forgetting things, and not bothering to learn above a primal rage for his intelligence (1). The only thing that has saved him at times is his wits (2)do to his rage.

His wits and Perception along with his manipulation have lead him to have decent alertness (2) and Awareness (2). His tempor forever getting him in trouble has lead him to be more streetwise (3) and brawl (3) ready when needed. Manipulaiton has also lead him to have some minor subterfuge (1).

All of the street smarts and brawling let him easily dip into Larceny (2) when needed. It has also hardened his Melee (3) abilities. This has all lead to a hard life. Such a hard life his Survival (2) is of use.

His desire to learn how to redeam himself started him off in Academics (1) but he failed in his desire there. This however lead him to study Science (1) to see if he could accomplish his goal this way. To no avail he fell into the Occult (2).

This has left him with willpower (5). Almost always depressed regardless of his resolve to push on. He is a hardy with a Health of (9) though. It has also left him with the merit of Natural Immunity (1). Know one is sure, but also due to the fire he has the merit to Toxin Resistance (2). His studies in the occult as lead him to have the merit of Difficult to Ride (4).

Unfortently due to is lack of social skills he has the flaw of Behavior Blind. Obviously leading to more brawls, and fights. The burns on his body also give him a flaw of being lame on that side. However, due to these two flaws, he has gained the merit Combat Awareness. This is not always useful, as he will sometimes fail due to being partial lame.

Lastly some background not mentioned as of yet. Due to the tragedy, unknown parties donated to Chidi's cause giveing him more Resources (3) than he would have all ready had. One should also mention, even though he is moody and of normal size (5) him being streetwise aloughs him to be a good barfly (1). While he never intended it, his partialy lame arm and extensive burns has led to mild fame (1). Also due to his higher perception and streetwise as well as moderate Alertness and Awareness he has a higher navigation (4) ability than some.

This leads me to my stats:
    Name: Chidi Panders
    Nature: Driven
    Demeanor: Moody
    Lasombra Generation: 12
    Chronicle: Dividing the Quarter
    Sire:
    Size: 5

Attributes
    Strength 2 Charisma 2 Perception 3
    Dexterity 2 Manipulation 4 Intelligence 1
    Stamina 4 Appearance 1 Wits 2

Talents
    Alertness 2
    Awareness 2
    Streetwise 3
    Brawl 3
    Subterfuge 1

Skills
    Larceny 2
    Melee 3
    Survival 2

Knowledge
    Academics 1
    Science 1
    Occult 2

Disciplines
    Obtenebration 2
    Auspex 2

Path
    Path of Night
    Health: 9
    Willpower: 5

Merits
    Natural Immunity 1
    Toxin Resistance 2
    Difficult to Ride 4
    Combat Awareness 2 <-- If you accept my two flaws to outweigh this merit

Flaws
    Behavior Blind
    Partial Lame Left Side due to burns

Background
    Resources 3 6 xp
    Barfly 1 2 xp
    Fame 1 2 xp
    Navigation 4 8 xp[/b]

Only question is taken those two flaws enough to warrant the extra merit? I'm also willing to spend some of the 13 xp for it as well. I could write more back story if needed, but feel I have enough to go with it. I also think I got all the stuff right this time.

DyasAlure on