As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comics in Movies and Beyond: The Sequeling

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    It was also official that (IM3 spoilers)
    the Mandarin was the villain in Iron Man 3.

Shadowen on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    the Mandarian was the villain in Iron Man 3.

He was

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Shadowen wrote: »
    the Mandarian was the villain in Iron Man 3.

He was

Edit: on second thought, let's avoid any potential misclicks altogether, and just say that the finale of Iron Man 3 was epic as all get out, and that I can't wait for my Blu Ray pack to get in.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Magneto can probably fix it.

Yeah if Mags can rip the adamantium off Logan's bones, the he can probably do the opposite no problem

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

Yeah if Mags can rip the adamantium off Logan's bones, the he can probably do the opposite no problem

I feel like it would be about as easy as putting the toothpaste back in the tube.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    We can get another hilariously malformed Logan where the adamantium grafting in no way corresponds to the human skeleton.

Linespider5 on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Joolander wrote: »

I feel like it would be about as easy as putting the toothpaste back in the tube.

I'm not seeing it

I mean all he has to do is something like this (1:00 to 1:11 and 1:36 to 1:45)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etPXBm0zRvM

but around Wolverine's extended claws, which he can hold motionless since
    the base of the claws still have adamantium around them, not to mention the rest of his skeleton

Joolander on
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Remember TomJane's awesome Punisher short?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YDYL6oECjU

Here's another short in the same vein. I won't spoil the subject, but suffice it to say it's worth your time.

I love this interpretation of the character.

Ryan Kwanten is really cool

He'd make an excellent Flash Thompson Venom actually

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Neil Gaiman tossed this up on his FB, thought was neat

Gaiman, Moore and Gibbons at the Watchmen panel in 86

1002332_10151531916641016_1162548923_n.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Ok, that's a pretty entertaining photo. Gaimain should go back to that look.

This get posted yet?
    Dofp Sentinel

ku-xlarge.jpg

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    iSentinel by AppleTrask Industries.

Ugh Bayformer under glass

That's an interesting (vent? Heat sink?) smack in the middle of the torso there. So the Sentinels are one-handed?

That's an interesting (vent? Heat sink?) smack in the middle of the torso there.

Looks more like a searchlight to me

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Its a terrible design either way. Might as well be a bullseye.

Turambar wrote: »
    That's an interesting (vent? Heat sink?) smack in the middle of the torso there.

Looks more like a searchlight to me

oooooooh

It's probably a cool reference to the DoFP cover

x-men-days-of-future-past.jpg

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    Remember TomJane's awesome Punisher short?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YDYL6oECjU

Here's another short in the same vein. I won't spoil the subject, but suffice it to say it's worth your time.

I love this interpretation of the character.

Ryan Kwanten is really cool

He'd make an excellent Flash Thompson Venom actually

That is like a million times better then Spiderman 3.

PSN: Canadian_llama
    edited August 2013
    Also I'm sucked into the first 20ish mins so I'm gonna share this also

Edit :Some NSFW language

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvQBRrSsPtY

WiseManTobes on
    Ok, it had it's low budget moments, but Joker Rising was pretty damn good

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    Three of the best known DC heroes to the public (though WW trails pretty far in third place on that count)

What? Wonder Woman is one of the most recognizable superheroes period. Even without having a major film, she's appeared countless cartoons over the decades. There is a ton of Wonder Woman merchandise.

Many people/groups look at her as an icon, as well.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Wonder Woman is quite odd because she's far more iconic to people who aren't superhero fans than the sales and popularity of her comics would suggest. Like, Wonder Woman comics always sell, but not massively well, and there's only ever one book with her as the lead, as opposed to Batman, Superman and GL.

I think mostly WW's iconic nature (which I am not doubting) comes from the Lynda Carter tv show. And it's tough therefore to really point to a story that you could adapt to a movie, because the movie is going to be inspired more by the popular ideal of Diana than anything else. Though I really would like to see a WW movie. I think the animated movie they did was actually pretty good.

The current series is pretty good, but it's not what you'd call character defining. I don't really know of any WW story that I would call character defining, actually. Maybe League of One? That was pretty good (though when I read it, I remember not liking Diana's unwillingness to accept that the rest of the team could succeed regardless of the prophecy. She seemed to be quite arrogant in that sense).

Solar on
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Too bad WB doesn't see this as an opportunity to beat Marvel to the punch for once by being the first to have a movie starring a female superhero. Maybe they think that they're so far behind that it wouldn't be worth it to even try to catch up.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Just saw Wolverine. Not bad. Few tortured plot points, but cool spectacle and a nice rejuvenation to the X-franchise, I felt.
    Also liked the final Jean scene in the white room - a ref to the White Hot Room where the Pheonix resides until rebirth, perhaps.

post-credit spoiler:

Did anyone else
    break down laughing when Xavier showed up and spent like 15 seconds whizzing around frozen pedestrians to reach Wolverine? They could've just had him wheel up right behind him in like a second and a half shot, but they spent so long following him. Wolverine must've spotted him coming from way the hell across the terminal, it was ridiculous. I want someone to do a cartoon or Cracked vid parody of that scene.

"Logan! Logan, it's me, Charles! Logan! Logan, I'm alive Logan! Logan! Hold on! I'll come over to where you are, Logan! Hold on, I've just got to navigate around these people that I've frozen, Logan! Logan! I'll be right there, Logan!"

"Yeah, I... okay, yes, I see you. Y... y-yeah, hey..."

"Logan!"

H9f4bVe.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Weren't DC were the ones who said they didn't think a superhero movie with a female protagonist could work.

The DC/WB group is just terrible; they have no vision, and any successes under their banner seem to be more related to lucking into the right director than any actual plan.

Undead Scottsman on
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I think that was Alan Horn, the WB Chair at the time, who said they wouldn't be doing any more female-lead action movies after (I forget what) flopped.

(Alan Horn is now a bigwig over at Disney.)

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Jennifer Lawrence as Zola
    Tom Hardy as Lennox
    Djimon Hounsou as Apollo
    Bryan Cranston as Ares
    Paul Giamatti as Hephaestus
    Natalie Portman as Strife
    Karl Urban as Orion
    Dwayne Johnson as The First Born

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Wonder Woman is quite odd because she's far more iconic to people who aren't superhero fans than the sales and popularity of her comics would suggest. Like, Wonder Woman comics always sell, but not massively well, and there's only ever one book with her as the lead, as opposed to Batman, Superman and GL.

I think mostly WW's iconic nature (which I am not doubting) comes from the Lynda Carter tv show. And it's tough therefore to really point to a story that you could adapt to a movie, because the movie is going to be inspired more by the popular ideal of Diana than anything else. Though I really would like to see a WW movie. I think the animated movie they did was actually pretty good.

The current series is pretty good, but it's not what you'd call character defining. I don't really know of any WW story that I would call character defining, actually. Maybe League of One? That was pretty good (though when I read it, I remember not liking Diana's unwillingness to accept that the rest of the team could succeed regardless of the prophecy. She seemed to be quite arrogant in that sense).

Then they're doing it wrong. They have plenty of material to adapt or co-opt into new stories from the comics and media like the Justice League cartoon. It's not like all her comic stories are absolute shit. She's no worse then Green Lantern, Green Arrow or Flash. I don't see anyone complaining about their comics being worthless to adapt into movies or tv shows.
    I think that was Alan Horn, the WB Chair at the time, who said they wouldn't be doing any more female-lead action movies after (I forget what) flopped.

(Alan Horn is now a bigwig over at Disney.)

That was Jeff Rubinov.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2007/warner-brothers-president-says-no-more-female-lead-characters/

There was a more recent one (Earlier this year, IIRC.)

edited August 2013
    There was a more recent one (Earlier this year, IIRC.)

Okay, I just did some hunting; apparently it there wasn't one from this year; the conversation was earlier this year, but I failed to remember it was a conversation about the 2007 quote.

Also, going through your entire list of posts that people agreed with is really, really weird.

EDIT: Whoops, I suppose I should have just edited that in the previous post. God I'm terrible.

Undead Scottsman on
    Ok seriously someone else watch Joker Rising so I can talk about it with someone!

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Wolverine was not good and I'm not really understanding why some people are heaping praise onto it. It wasn't as completely shitty as the first one but it was definitely more boring. I don't think I've ever actually seen such a wooden movie. Ugh, why did I go to this?

The romance in it was completely unbelievable. The plot was completely predictable (and boring!). Also, I hate when they use mutant powers as plot points in these films as it's completely lazy (ie: both Viper and Yukio in this film). Ugh. Just bad bad bad.

The only upside was that the picture went off for about 10 minutes in the movie so everybody got free passes to go see something else.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It seems DC wants Josh Brolin or Gosling to be Batman for Man of Steel 2, or that's just wishful thinking on some execs part.

Brolin would work if they're intent on making it like DKR, he would be older and angrier. Gosling just doesn't look or have the presences to be a Batman or Bruce Wayne.

I think they would be better using a rising name to keep around for future films, or even someone like Matt Bomer (who was supposed to be the JL movie Superman), but he might look too much like Cavill. Or make that a specific reason to compare and contrast the two houses of the DC hero world.

Who to cast as Batman is really dependent on the kind of story they want to tell, and I doubt they even have a script yet.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Who to cast as Batman is really dependent on the kind of story they want to tell, and I doubt they even have a script yet.

they don't have a script, but they've been very clear on the kind of story they want to tell. They quoted one of the more grimdark lines from The Dark Knight Returns at SDCC, and Snyder has said outright that the's been consulting with Frank Miller on the scrript.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    So they want to tell an awful story. Not that it coming from the team of Man of Steel wouldn't have told us that

Fearghaill wrote: »

they don't have a script, but they've been very clear on the kind of story they want to tell. They quoted one of the more grimdark lines from The Dark Knight Returns at SDCC, and Snyder has said outright that the's been consulting with Frank Miller on the scrript.

They always cite some comic in connection to the story of the next film, but they never follow the story that closely. I'd be very surprised if this movie bore more than a superficial resemblance to Miller's story.

This discussion has been closed.