As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pikmin 3: No one man should have all that flower.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The game comes out on Sunday. For those that have been playing, or starting on Sunday, are you leaning towards remote or gamepad?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    The game comes out on Sunday. For those that have been playing, or starting on Sunday, are you leaning towards remote or gamepad?

I'm probably going to do gamepad just for convenience, though I want to try remote/nunchuck combo.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Man I'm gonna be away all weekend and next week so I'm gonna miss downloading Pikmin 3. Having played Pikmin on Gamecube and then recently getting a hold of New Play Control Pikmin 2, I'm leaning towards remote controls. Especially since it will support Wii Motion Plus.

• Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    I'm currently in the middle of a move and have no TV for my Wii U. How viable is off screen play?

• KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I went GamePad. I found it fine except for the bosses. The 1st and 3rd bosses in particular could have used some more precise aiming

Found the fourth type of Pikmin and the game is hitting its stride. I getting the knack of leaving certain types with each captain and bringing them in when necessary.

If got a bit of a buffer in time so I think I'm gonna take it easy and try to farm 100 of each type.

Haven't been able to download yet, but on my way home soon.

In the meantime, here's a video of the Nintendo World Pikmin 3 event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZdEFvEyt_8

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    uuggh why did I assume this was available at Midnight Pacific time?
    downloading now

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    Home now and downloading. :)

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    ooph and it's gonna take an hour or more. Imagine if I waited longer to check D:

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    For anyone who does stick with the game pad, I recommend some time playing with the 'Lock-On' and 'Charge' skills. For enemies that need to be attacked from the rear, those skills provide a good way to circle-strafe the enemy and then do a mass attack.

I'm 31 days in and still loving it. I'll spoiler tag my progress if anyone is interested:
    - Just unlocked the final group of Pikmin
    - Four out of (I believe) 5 areas unlocked.
    - Still large amounts of undiscovered areas at the fringes of zones.
    - There are items marked in the map that I'm not really sure how I reach them.
    - Also, a certain plot point has radically shifted my priorities though.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    This game is so pretty to just watch and it's so fun!

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      Yeah, it's has been really great so far and it's only gonna get better.

I'm getting used to the controls, I really miss the ability to move the Pikmin around like a swarm instead having to throw them everywhere. There is a "Charge" command but it isn't quite the same.
      Having a little camera trouble while using the Remote+Nunchuk, I keep setting it behind me so it's always spinning around, I think it's going to make me dizzy.
      Also, the only thing I actually hate so far is this new thing where the Pikmin automatically return to a spot where there are/were items to move. I think that's ok with the shingles but for certain fruit and berries? Terrible Idea. I sent you and the food to a safe zone
      Stay. In. The . Safe. Zone.

That's it for complaints though, it's beautiful and fun and challenging and it's taken over my mind. I stayed up late playing and I woke up early to play some more.

3DS-3995-6602-5217
      NNID-InvisibleInk
    • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
      I also miss the ability to wield the swarm like a big club

I loved that

dN0T6ur.png
      It was really one of the best things. You'd go into an area, destroy everything and then sound the little trumpet to gather up all the remains and treasures. Very efficient!

3DS-3995-6602-5217
      NNID-InvisibleInk
    • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
      This game is making me really, really thirsty.

And when you mix different fruit you can see the juice change color slightly... So very cool.

Also, the only thing I actually hate so far is this new thing where the Pikmin automatically return to a spot where there are/were items to move. I think that's ok with the shingles but for certain fruit and berries? Terrible Idea. I sent you and the food to a safe zone
      Stay. In. The . Safe. Zone.

They do that with anything containing small parts. Bridge pieces, grapes, the spicy berries. They probably did it so you can assign 1-2 Pikmin to that task, returning to the pick up spot over & over, while the others do something else.

I'm getting used to it. I just leave one of my captans at the point of pick up and it's usually good. Berries are the hardest to manage as they respawn. When it's time to go home, the path to the ship needs to checked for any Pikmin still carrying the newly spawned berries.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
      Ov3rcharge wrote: »
      I'm currently in the middle of a move and have no TV for my Wii U. How viable is off screen play?

100% viable, according to the Kotaku review. Guy played it with just the tablet in an airport.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Definitely. I just played a few days using the tablet and my wii remote nunchuk while the girlfriend watched a movie.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • TayaTaya Registered User regular
        Played through day 1. Gosh this game is pretty.

I tried waiting for my planted pikmin to turn into buds but I either gave up too early or you can't do it on the first day.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
        I swear it feels like the days go by a lot faster in this one... But maybe it's just me. I barely had enough time to fight the boss and bring his corpse back.

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
        Traded in some Brobox games and got this for $11. I played through 6 days before I realized I have things to do. What a pretty game. And it just feels so good to be playing a new Pikmin.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
        edited August 2013
        NO GIANT ARMORED CATERPILLAR NO

Man now more than ever do I miss the ability to swing the crowd around!

I didn't even have time to bring back his corpse.... or any of the other goodies!

Oh God will the corpse still be there tomorrow!?

Wyborn on
        dN0T6ur.png
      • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
        Pikmin is becoming pretty established now. I do wonder how elaborate it will become in the future.

Already on day 12 and feel like I've barely scratched the surface. I do wish that days were long than 15 minutes.

Nintendo Console Codes
        PM Me if you add me!
        HAIL HYDRA
      • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
        Day 4, the game is as overwhelming as I remember. I want to farm Pikmin, find more fruit, and recover the other captain. I'm not even sure which area I should be exploring. But I'm loving every minute of it.

Already on day 12 and feel like I've barely scratched the surface. I do wish that days were long than 15 minutes.

Nintendo Console Codes
        PM Me if you add me!
        HAIL HYDRA
        Day 4 "I have plenty of fruit to survive forever."
        Day 6 "Oh god will I starve!?"

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
        Hey, I just remembered I bought the Deluxe WiiU when it launched, don;t I get some sort of discount on the online games I buy? How do I make that work?

Magic Pink wrote: »
        Hey, I just remembered I bought the Deluxe WiiU when it launched, don;t I get some sort of discount on the online games I buy? How do I make that work?

Go to this site and sign in.

https://p.nintendo.net/deluxe/

Nintendo Console Codes
        PM Me if you add me!
        HAIL HYDRA
      • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
        edited August 2013
        It's automatically applied. Go here and log in with your NNID. Any games or DLC you purchased get applied back as a 10% credit to your account. This includes games bought with promotional credits. So if you had a $5 eShop credit from the promo and used it to buy a game you still get the full purchase price back in points again. Note that it may take up to 24 hours for purchases to appear on that website. Also it looks like the promotion ends in 2015.

Mblackwell on
        Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

Aw, that's not even worth it. Thanks tho.

Magic Pink wrote: »
        Aw, that's not even worth it. Thanks tho.

It really adds up though.

Nintendo Console Codes
        PM Me if you add me!
        HAIL HYDRA
        edited August 2013
        Yeah, depending on how many digital things you buy it definitely does. It applies to every purchase on the eShop. DLC, Virtual Console games, anything. And you can redeem the credit on the 3DS if you so choose.

Right now you can buy Pikmin 3 on the eShop for 54.99 (+tax) and get back in credit 5.99.

Mblackwell on

I've gotten $10 from the promotion so far and I never buy digital retail games. This is only from VC and eShop only titles. You get points on all digital purchases before Dec 2014 so there's still another year and a half.

I think it's worth it, but it depends on how much you use the eShop.

edited August 2013
        Mblackwell wrote: »
        Yeah, depending on how many digital things you buy it definitely does. It applies to every purchase on the eShop. DLC, Virtual Console games, anything. And you can redeem the credit on the 3DS if you so choose.

Right now you can buy Pikmin 3 on the eShop for 54.99 (+tax) and get back in credit 5.99.

huh? Mine shows 59.99.

And the discount page says you have to buy something first. Can I buy Pikmin and then register for the discount and get the 5.99?

Magic Pink on
        edited August 2013
        Yeah if you buy Pikmin you'll get 5.99 back, which you can redeem the next day as a code (every $5 you can redeem) and buy something else. I was thinking they were still doing the "add $50 to your account get $5" thing as well but that just ended on July 28th. So I guess you can't quite game the system that way. However if you buy Pikmin 3 on the eShop you get 30% off The Wonderful 101, so there's that extra deal at least.

Mblackwell on

Mblackwell wrote: »
        Yeah if you buy Pikmin you'll get 5.99 back, which you can redeem the next day as a code (every $5 you can redeem) and buy something else. I was thinking they were still doing the "add $50 to your account get $5" thing as well but that just ended on July 28th. So I guess you can't quite game the system that way. However if you buy Pikmin 3 on the eShop you get 30% off The Wonderful 101, so there's that extra deal at least.

Has this been confirmed for anywhere outside Europe?

Nintendo Console Codes
        PM Me if you add me!
        HAIL HYDRA
        Man I love being able to tell Pikmin to charge

That almost makes up for the lack of directional mobbing

dN0T6ur.png
      • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
        Looks like NewEgg made the decision for me. My order was voided today, most likely due to the credit card having expired since I pre-ordered the game over 10 months ago.

FU7kFbw.png
        Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop