As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2] Bi-weekly updates to living story continue. Lots of good stuff coming!

• GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    Winner is Bobble!

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Kylindra wrote: »
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    Uh, correct math? For 10 entries winning 5 gold the expected value is 1/10 * 5, or 0.5. For 100 entries winning 50 gold, the expected value is 1/100 * 50, or 0.5.

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

This is correct. Discounting for a minute any "bonus" thrown in (usually 5 gold), the expected value of buying a ticket in a lottery where a winner is guaranteed to be chosen is the price of the ticket, minus the percentage house take. In our case, 50%, so half a gold is the expected value of the results of buying a lottery ticket.

"Expected value" is a statistical term that is used to describe the weighted average of all possible outcomes in a situation involving probability.

For instance, let's say you have a 60% chance of being given $100 for your birthday (if your grandparents remember to send it) and a 40% chance of receiving $0 (If they forget). The expected value of your birthday gift is ($100 * 60% + $0 * 40%) = $60.

In our lottery, if there are 10 tickets purchased and the pot is 5 gold, each ticket gives you a 1/10 chance of winning 5 gold, and a 9/10 chance of winning 0 gold.

So the expected value of lottery ticket in that case is (5 gold * 1/10 + 0 gold * 9/10) = .5 gold

Now look at the case where there are 100 entries and a pot of 50 gold:

(50 gold * 1/50 + 0 gold * 49/50) = .5 gold

So yes, the expected value of a ticket is the same regardless of the size of the pot.

The confusion here is some people were discussing expected value and some were discussing pot size, without realizing that "expected value" means something in particular in statistics.

However, your odds of winning and your happiness if you do win are entirely dependent on the number of entries. :)

[/quote]

this just made my brain turn off. I am a writer/historian, the hard sciences are lost on me.

Are you the magic man?
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    I have a Necro for WuvWuv, and here's the build I'm running.

However, while it is great for solo play (being able to take supply camps solo is pretty good imho) it's not that great on wuvwuv night. Nothing stays alive long enough for the condition dps to really matter, zerg fights are too fast and chaotic for getting epidemic set up and all that...

So what should I change for wuvwuv night?

1) I would rather not change equipment.
    2) I definitely don't want to have to adjust trait points each time. But switching major traits is fine.
    3) Utilities are obviously the easiest to change.

Maybe go for wells? any AoE you can bring for zerg clashes is good Aoe, if for no other reason than tapping as many people as possible for bags, and your build gives you access to most of the well traits already (though I might not get the ground target one, depending on how much your fps drop when armies collide)

Darkness and COrruption would probably be the most useful, blinding people and/or stripping off any boons they have, Might go Well of Power for the stun breaker and couple sec of stability it gives you, especially since it's the only stun breaker a necro has (other than flesh worm) that doesn't take a full minute to recharge.

steam_sig.png
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    The thing about using math to justify gambling (and this is coming from a huge math nerd) is that you lose the psychological aspect of it.

And that is, if you win its zero to hero status baby

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    20 g to gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Ty Mr Lottery winner for the timely anonymous donation. Wait. anon. Forget lottery winner. lets call him bobble. No wait. Mr. B. no wait..... I am not good at this.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    how are you making this many g's so quickly

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Vivixenne wrote: »

Force of will my dear.

hitting every boss, Timely drops (2 exos drops yesterday), ori runs. And daily and monthly hit meaning t6 for days. to sell. And i broke all my old gear for sigils- 8-10g a pop on those (all of my feels as my old GS's break under the crush of the black lion kit.... goodbye old friends). all my charma (now im doing this spelling error on purpose come at me dawg) to gold. COF1 and HOTW 1 a few times- though not really that many. Glorious wvw- killing mountains of enimies for mountains of bags. Doing salvage monthly for 3-4 stacks of mithril and 100 or so ori off valuable salvage scraps (i had the kits so the math worked.)

Viv the cuppard is bare. Im running on fumes... but i want today to be the day.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    awesome! sounds like a lot of work, so good luck... hope today is the day too!

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Force of will my dear.

hitting every boss, Timely drops (2 exos drops yesterday), ori runs. And daily and monthly hit meaning t6 for days. to sell. And i broke all my old gear for sigils- 8-10g a pop on those (all of my feels as my old GS's break under the crush of the black lion kit.... goodbye old friends). all my charma (now im doing this spelling error on purpose come at me dawg) to gold. COF1 and HOTW 1 a few times- though not really that many. Glorious wvw- killing mountains of enimies for mountains of bags. Doing salvage monthly for 3-4 stacks of mithril and 100 or so ori off valuable salvage scraps (i had the kits so the math worked.)

Figured you might be getting fried near the end here, so I was hoping the bump would restore your spirit.

Now let's all clap our hands and show Mojo we believe in him.... or something.

edited August 2013
    Bobble wrote: »

Force of will my dear.

Figured you might be getting fried near the end here, so I was hoping the bump would restore your spirit.

Now let's all clap our hands and show Mojo we believe in him.... or something.

it was a major boost to the spirits! So appreciated!

edit--- 10 to go.

mojojoeo on
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Geod wrote: »
    Can I get a guild reinvite?

Wicked Demiurge.3107

Sent.

Thanks, but it seems like it didn't get to me. Mind resending?

And done

Thanks to all who cut deals and donated. It will be paid fowards

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Thanks for the group content fun this evening. :) The guild missions were funny and rewarding and the fractals run was pretty difficult for me, but it was good to learn more about how to play this game.

• Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular

Force of will my dear.

I will fight you.

I'm like 8 feet tall.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    And done

Begin... with pictures!

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I'm having enough trouble filling out a teir 3 set of armour. That work to a legendary just seems obscene.

• Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I'm having enough trouble filling out a teir 3 set of armour. That work to a legendary just seems obscene.

Remind me to never show you my character.

No seriously it is not that bad once you start paying attention to not spending anything and selling everything.

edited August 2013
    Just a heads up Tuesday Wvw again will but up against Patch day which means multiple wvw down times- Be prepared.

I'm thinking wvw should move to Monday. Is something in that spot?

Voting ends at 11 am PST this morning. So,...

Oh then theres this massive downtime. :p

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/Server-Maintenance-August-6th-12AM-PDT-07-01-UTC-09-01-CEST

Most likely to convert everyones bank to a wallet. May want to Screen shot your inventory. just saying.

mojojoeo on
  • The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    Who-Psyd wrote: »
    No seriously it is not that bad once you start paying attention to not spending anything and selling everything.

This really does make a big difference. At the end of a play session I sell anything and everything that isn't required for my legendary, then deposit any remaining money (except for 10ish silver to cover kits/tools/way points) into the bank. Money starts to accumulate quite rapidly.

Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
    Who-Psyd wrote: »

This really does make a big difference. At the end of a play session I sell anything and everything that isn't required for my legendary, then deposit any remaining money (except for 10ish silver to cover kits/tools/way points) into the bank. Money starts to accumulate quite rapidly.

Yeah. I didn't realize how much money i was generating a day until yesterday. I went from 0-about 10-12 G on boss hopping/ ori runs/ laurels converted to t6.

Dont think big. Just slowly grind it out. a few t6 a day. and ecto here and there. Do the things you love in the mean while and just stockpile.

• IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    I need to run more fractals on my Thief. We're going to run more fractals when I get home from work. (I'm only up to 3)

• JoiryJoiry Registered User regular
    I'd be up for moving wuv to monday. Usually tuesday nights are occupied for me (however, not during parts of july and aug).

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    And done

There's something wrong with this page... can't put my finger on it, but...

Oh, I know. There's a disturbing lack of screenshots. Specifically screenshots showing a [NICE] guy with a legendary sword.

Who can help us out with that?

edited August 2013
    http://www.guildwars2hub.com/features/editorials/first-impressions-queens-jubilee#.Uf-h08vjrZk.reddit

full rundown of the patch with pictures of the wallet.

And he bemoans the fact that it all goes away in a month. Which as we have said here is stupid.

also aetherized weapons are going from one ticket to 5 with the patch. You may want to spend what you have.

mojojoeo on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The wallet goes away in a month?

Oh god, the champion rewards are here to stay, right? Fucking champions.

reVerse wrote: »
    The wallet goes away in a month?

Oh god, the champion rewards are here to stay, right? Fucking champions.

Champs stay, wallet stays, spell culling stays. Game improvements stay.

An entire chunk of Divinity's reach goes.

He also writes that it feels very samey to the last few of these. Hot air ballons = holograms/kites. The formula is starting to show through the content.

I'm looking forward to the update though! hope its a good one!

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Wallet and champion loot do sound like genuine improvements to the whole game.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Uhh what are they going to do to the area of Divinity's Reach when it's done? Just blow it up?

Are you the magic man?
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    It gets eaten by an elder dragon as a transition to the next living story event.

Frei wrote: »
    Uhh what are they going to do to the area of Divinity's Reach when it's done? Just blow it up?

I think the structure stays, just all the content associated with it will be inaccessible/gone till maybe next year.

The wallet looks terrible - a real hack job there. But better to have it than not. I would have preferred a vertical listing of each, column for the name and then a column for the amount of the currency.

After a weekend away, and doing a quick quartz run last night, I realize I am going to miss the bazaar area and doing funky movement through it. I wonder at one point Anet is going to get a clue about temp content. I'd consign Southsun to under the waves in order to keep the other new stuff.

• IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    Is Primordius going to make an appearance? Maybe one of his LTs.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    OMG that wallet is so sexy.

Remember, dungeon improvements come this patch too. Run what you want and not be poor for it.

Joiry wrote: »
    Frei wrote: »

I think the structure stays, just all the content associated with it will be inaccessible/gone till maybe next year.

The wallet looks terrible - a real hack job there. But better to have it than not. I would have preferred a vertical listing of each, column for the name and then a column for the amount of the currency.

After a weekend away, and doing a quick quartz run last night, I realize I am going to miss the bazaar area and doing funky movement through it. I wonder at one point Anet is going to get a clue about temp content. I'd consign Southsun to under the waves in order to keep the other new stuff.

If you look at the pic you can see that by hovering over you gold in the inv window you get the exact vertical listing you just requested. You dont have to open the wallet. Just hover over the gold.

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Hey guys. Hope everyone's doing well. :)

I have a question. Some friends of mine are starting to play, but they're rolling on a different server. Can I create characters on their server, or would I have to switch it for all my characters as well?

If you look at the pic you can see that by hovering over you gold in the inv window you get the exact vertical listing you just requested. You dont have to open the wallet. Just hover over the gold.

Yeah, I noticed this later, one screenshot is not necessarily the best indicator. It dawned on me that popup was a separate thing. Which makes the panel seem redundant...as well as ugly and a terrible piece of organization.

Is that another new tab below the achievement one? Like a flask with a cross on it? Wait, roschach time - maybe a down arrow pointing at a heart or shield.

edited August 2013

I have a question. Some friends of mine are starting to play, but they're rolling on a different server. Can I create characters on their server, or would I have to switch it for all my characters as well?

You only need do that if you want to wvw with them. You can be in their party and do dungeons with them anytime cross server. If you wish to quest with them you can guest to that server a day at a time.
    You only need pay if you want to fully do spvp and wvw with them.

Guardian brothers and sisters- http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUEQJARWlYg67mFyKEfIFRuA7DAsSR8uH2DNC/OC-jAyAYrhoRWSGVIQJPl1EogYxtIas6aMlLRUtUARsAA-e

this is whats been dubbed an anchor build.

this is my current might stack AH build - http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUEQJARWlYg67mFSIEfIFRuA7DAEThGh/1DHSRGC-jAyAYrhoRWSGVIQJPl1EogYxtIas6aMlLRUtUARsAA-e

So it would swap out AH for more offense and the lesser heals of zealous blade (which blows except in aoe situations as each hit is a tick even the ticks from fields you lay.) Don t know how I feel about giving up the almost overpowered AH and purity (free cond removal every 10secs)

Wonder if its too glassy....

mojojoeo on
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular

You only need do that if you want to wvw with them. You can be in their party and do dungeons with them anytime cross server. If you wish to quest with them you can guest to that server a day at a time.
    You only need pay if you want to fully do spvp and wvw with them.

sPvP is cross server. So it's really only WvW if you just resorted to using guesting. But if you wanted to actually create characters on their server, you have to switch your account.

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Gotcha. Thanks for the quick responses guys.

I know I haven't been active here at all, and I apologize. One of these days I'll get online again.

• mccartmccart Registered User regular
    We just learned via in-game mail that Kiel has won! Too bad I wasn't paying attention to the deadline and didn't get to cast my ~500 votes. Whoops!

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    So Anet manged to Dewey defeats Truman themselves.

*slow clap*

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
This discussion has been closed.