As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Bi-weekly updates to living story continue. Lots of good stuff coming!

1787980818284»

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    haw haw haw kiel forever

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    Kiel is sooooo boring :(

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Geod wrote: »

here comes the twist......

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    mojojoeo wrote: »

here comes the twist......

I really hope she's Scarlet, or someone that actually has a personality.

• Options
    LostInThoughtLostInThought Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Mojo, I've been trying out that "anchor" build for a bit, Though I run full knights instead of the knight/zerker hybrid. The first thing i noticed is that AH has made me lazy. Most of the time when I run AH I just facetank damage and use AH to heal it up, along with only using my heal skill in emergencies. You cannot do that with the anchor build. You have to dodge and use the heal skill more. As soon as you get into that mindset it is not too glassy. Losing purity is not a big deal because your shouts remove conditions.

Keep in mind the anchor build is meant for speed running dungeons with 3 zerker wars killing every boss in under 30 seconds... so the build doesn't have the endurance AH does. Super long fights because your team does not have the dps will get you killed.

If you switch to the anchor build make sure you have the zerker trinkets so you actually do damage. With the prc/pow/tough trinkets I have the dps increase seems not worth the durability tradeoff. Sadly... this is more evidence towards the stance that the only stat combination that should ever be used in PvE by anyone is zerker.

As a side note... in conjunction with trying that build on my guardian i've also been fiddling with the corresponding warrior builds for speed running dungeons. Those warrior builds do so much more damage than the guardian it is almost comical. The warrior vs a veteran mob feels like the guardian against a normal mob.

Also: I didnt cast my votes for evon either... I should pay more attention. Was thinking i had until tomorrow.

LostInThought on
  • Options
    SuperdupeSuperdupe Registered User regular
    Disappointed (but not particularly surprised) by the outcome. Kiel is the good guy, and she offers the most immediately obvious benefit (even if people are blowing its impact way out of proportion), but she is such a boring, Mary Sue a character. I think Gnashblade offered far more in terms of potentially intriguing storylines. And as much as I would have liked to have seen the Abbadon fractal from a lore standpoint, I think the greater loss is that Thaumanova will almost certainly recycle a lot of visual assets, giving Anet less impetus to expand the game world. Lame.

Maybe it's just sour grapes, but now whenever we get some Kiel-related story update or I run Thaumanova, all I'm gonna think about is how it would have turned out with Gnashblade and the Abbadon fractal.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VahkrisVahkris TexasRegistered User regular
    Joiry wrote: »
    If you look at the pic you can see that by hovering over you gold in the inv window you get the exact vertical listing you just requested. You dont have to open the wallet. Just hover over the gold.

Yeah, I noticed this later, one screenshot is not necessarily the best indicator. It dawned on me that popup was a separate thing. Which makes the panel seem redundant...as well as ugly and a terrible piece of organization.

Is that another new tab below the achievement one? Like a flask with a cross on it? Wait, roschach time - maybe a down arrow pointing at a heart or shield.

It's a down arrow onto something, not sure what it is. ...a book? The curve reminds me of a book.

• Options
    Vahkris wrote: »
    If you look at the pic you can see that by hovering over you gold in the inv window you get the exact vertical listing you just requested. You dont have to open the wallet. Just hover over the gold.

Yeah, I noticed this later, one screenshot is not necessarily the best indicator. It dawned on me that popup was a separate thing. Which makes the panel seem redundant...as well as ugly and a terrible piece of organization.

Is that another new tab below the achievement one? Like a flask with a cross on it? Wait, roschach time - maybe a down arrow pointing at a heart or shield.

It's a down arrow onto something, not sure what it is. ...a book? The curve reminds me of a book.

That's the permanent finishers.

I also watched the twitch stream - new content looks very fun, but I'm still quite disappointed that it's temporary and feels like I have to rush to get it done. At least it's up for a month rather than two weeks like Cutthroat Politics.

• Options
    JoiryJoiry Registered User regular

I also watched the twitch stream - new content looks very fun, but I'm still quite disappointed that it's temporary and feels like I have to rush to get it done. At least it's up for a month rather than two weeks like Cutthroat Politics.

Well, Cutthroat wasn't that much content, the Bazaar was a full month itself. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an additional phase 2 weeks into the Jubilee.

Hmmm, a whole tab dedicated just to finishers? Seems excessive, tho I guess they may be making it more central to their business model - more and more to buy.

You know what I'd like as a finisher? Me stabbing/shooting/clubbing my opponent instead of all this raise up arm and summon something to drop on them. It could still be visually distinct, just less silly.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Well, Cutthroat wasn't that much content, the Bazaar was a full month itself. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an additional phase 2 weeks into the Jubilee.

Hmmm, a whole tab dedicated just to finishers? Seems excessive, tho I guess they may be making it more central to their business model - more and more to buy.

You know what I'd like as a finisher? Me stabbing/shooting/clubbing my opponent instead of all this raise up arm and summon something to drop on them. It could still be visually distinct, just less silly.

How about a literal kiss of death?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Colin responds to yet another person going all "GW2 is totally doomed because reasons" about temporary living world content: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/livingworld/jubilee/So-EVERYTHING-in-this-patch-is-temporary/first#post2561414

It's a nice response in general, but most interesting to me is the promise of larger projects coming into play as ANet gets more time to work thanks to the repeating holiday events which they put so much work into during the first year. "Ambitious plans for next year", and so on. Good stuff ahead, I think.
    Hey folks,

I wanted to take a moment and address this, it’s a totally fair question and something as a player (removing my GD hat) I’d wonder the same thing as well. As I covered in my blog post last month, a major focus of our living world releases in the second half of the year will be on focusing our living world releases on content that has a larger sense of persistence, and more permanent effect on the world.

You’ll start seeing this strategy come into effect with the release 2 weeks from now, and grow as the year continues. The story of these living releases will occur long enough for it to play out reasonably and then update as the story moves forward, while the content and playable experiences (except specific story beats) will persist forever as a result of that story occurring.

We still want to have some content that can happen each year, our holiday festivals, Super Adventure Box, Zephyr Sanctum, and the new Queens Gauntlet are all intended to be content that will regularly return. The goal of having these in our portfolio of event content that can occur again each year is they allow us the opportunity to easily build on something we’ve already completed as themes for some of our releases for year 2.

We wanted to get to the end of the first year of Gw2 with a decent amount of these events that can happen each year in our pocket, to allow our second year a lot more opportunities to lean on these while we focus on much larger projects we’ve been working on in the background. You will not see another new recurring style event in 2014 once our core portfolio of returning events have been completed with the Queens Gauntlet. You’ll already see the benefits of this as the return of Halloween, SAB, and Wintersday has given some of our teams time to focus on other bigger projects during that time.

As to the point of this specific release, there are a ton of permanent features and content. From the update of mini-games becoming permanent on a rotation, champion loot, solo queue PvP and leaderboards, dungeon reward changes, currency wallet, PvP leaver penalties (dishonorable), the FX culling system and more! However, we do recognize one of the components is returning content rather than constant, we need one more core event in our portfolio to fill out our ability to pull off the ambitious plans we have for next year. We too want to have an even larger playable content impact as stated in our goals for the second half of 2014, you’ll be see seeing that play out shortly.

Soon, you won’t need to ask “is this permanent or temporary?”, you’ll simply be able to look at story specific parts and know the story goes away when it’s done, and the playable core content remains and changes based on the outcomes of the story. As a player, I’d rather login and experience an event knowing the outcome and the results of the story will create content I can see and experience for years, than have it all go away 2 weeks later, and have no impact.

We’re also looking into options that would allow players to experience the story sequences that will go away as the story moves forward for those who missed them, but this is still a ways off as we look at various options.

As a reminder, this is where we’re headed and the goals we’ve given to our teams to accomplish, it just takes a few months until we fully get our projects on this track: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-guild-wars-2-in-2013/

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    mccart wrote: »
    We just learned via in-game mail that Kiel has won! Too bad I wasn't paying attention to the deadline and didn't get to cast my ~500 votes. Whoops!

I crapped myself when he letter popped up onscreen - it was huge, far bigger than I'd seen before.

I voted for her, many times, so yay democracy !

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I'd simply be happy with some new zones and personal story quests to go through it. All this living world stuff never really grabbed me.

Like, open up the Crystal Desert and have a new personal story arc that takes us there to confront Kralkatorrik, or the Far Shiverpeaks to confront Jormag, or the Ring of Fire and have Primordus turn up there. I'd pay through the gemstore for an personal story expansion like that.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Enig wrote: »
    Colin responds to yet another person going all "GW2 is totally doomed because reasons" about temporary living world content: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/livingworld/jubilee/So-EVERYTHING-in-this-patch-is-temporary/first#post2561414

It's a nice response in general, but most interesting to me is the promise of larger projects coming into play as ANet gets more time to work thanks to the repeating holiday events which they put so much work into during the first year. "Ambitious plans for next year", and so on. Good stuff ahead, I think.

I'll believe it when I see it.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Yeah let's just be cynical. It's not like ANet has been putting out content of increasing quality since release just as they did with GW1.

It looks promising, and really it makes sense that developing recurring content first would allow them more space for more permanent and/or large-scale events later on.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    cassiusregicidecassiusregicide Registered User regular

I just started leveling a Guardian and saw some similar builds to that that I was sort of working towards. Do you have any recommendations on leveling, or is it just a situation where you should just try things out and see how they shake out? I'm loving the greatsword and the staff seems inescapable with the swiftness buff.

• Options
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Geth, lock the thread.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Rorus Raz. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.