As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Roleplaying Games] Play Everything, Only GM the Games You Want To

• poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Though really if the OP mentioned every system it would be a page long

I'm perfectly okay with that. :)

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I've never come across a PnP or even wargaming equivalent to BoardGameGeek. This kind of saddens me. I mean.. every game is different, and lord knows there have been tons of them. But even a small blurb, maybe organized by genre or defining mechanics, would go a long way.

Also, cheers for the dead systems. When I saw Mongoose started putting out Noble Armada stuff, I got really, REALLY damned hopeful for a revival of Fading Suns. Sadly, nada as of yet.

Isn't RPG Geek good enough?

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    So close to impulse ordering 13th Age. Stopped when I figured that by the time I'll get a chance to game with the group I was thinking of again, they'll probably be on to 14th Age. Or at least 13.5.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    So close to impulse ordering 13th Age. Stopped when I figured that by the time I'll get a chance to game with the group I was thinking of again, they'll probably be on to 14th Age. Or at least 13.5.

It is so good! Do iiiittt!

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular

I'm usually happy just to see Pelgrane still in business. They are not exactly quick on the production. You'll be fine.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Though really if the OP mentioned every system it would be a page long

I'm perfectly okay with that. :)

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I've never come across a PnP or even wargaming equivalent to BoardGameGeek. This kind of saddens me. I mean.. every game is different, and lord knows there have been tons of them. But even a small blurb, maybe organized by genre or defining mechanics, would go a long way.

Also, cheers for the dead systems. When I saw Mongoose started putting out Noble Armada stuff, I got really, REALLY damned hopeful for a revival of Fading Suns. Sadly, nada as of yet.

Isn't RPG Geek good enough?

I've said I've never come across, not that they don't exist. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular

It is so good! Do iiiittt!

They have no current plans on a 13.5 =p. They ARE producing an expansion called 13 True Ways and a Bestiary(MM). 13 True Ways will have more classes!

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2013
    @Devoutly Apathetic

I was going to suggest that. Feel free to add whatever I couldn't fit. I usually just pull whatever summary from the game's website.

Also, today's highlight from the Burning Wheel game: an NPC, a Hsigo noble who lost their wings claimed to be king. In response, I claimed I was king of my tribe, too.

Hsigo: King of what?

Orc Whisperer: The liar king.

Hsigo: Not the king of liars?

Orc Whisperer: Yes, that too.

Vanguard on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    My dear, dear friend had an epic game of Fate Accelerated with his children. I don't think he'd mind me posting his kid's character concepts here. They are truly adorable.
    Eight-year-old Robert played a tall, blue-skinned, half-dragon White Wizard named Rockbert (his High Concept) whose dragon side of him is taking over his body (his Trouble) and who is a collector of junk (his Aspect). Rockbert's Stunt is that he has developed a spell called "Rockbert's Magic Spring Bounce" in which, using an old spring from his junk collection as a focus, he can, once per game session, spring over any obstacle or physical barrier. (Careful 1, Clever 0, Flashy 1, Forceful 3, Quick 2, Sneaky 2).

Seven-year-old Sofia played a purple-skinned, pink-haired, winged rainbow fairy named Trinity (her High Concept) who has run out of "stuff" to make rainbows (her Trouble) and who is very nice to everybody (her Aspect). Trinity's Stunt is that when she sings, she gets a +2 to Flashy attempts to Overcome Obstacles. (Careful 2, Clever 1, Flashy 3, Forceful 0, Quick 2, Sneaky 1).

Five-year-old Elizabeth played Princess Aurora, the pink-gown-clad, blonde-haired, blue-eyed Princess of Flame Castle who wears a magic crown adorned with a circle of jewels (her High Concept) who can't find her mom and dad, the king and the queen (her Trouble), and who can use her magic crown to create sparkles and fireworks (her Aspect). Princess Aurora's Stunt is her Crown of Light, once per game session she can touch the jewels of her crown to create a flare of sparkles and fireworks that can temporarily blind opponents within sight of it.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Woohoo! Very excellent game of the Edge of the Empire Beginner game, and everyone wanted to keep going (retconned with their own chars), so we'll see how that goes. :) The beginner game did a really good job laying out the mechanics, piece by piece, and by the end almost every die roll was getting destiny thrown in one way or another (usually swapping points between me and the players).

It also felt really good to be running for the first time in at least a year. Sadly... I now need to figure out what I'm going to do long-term in that vein, as I have a lot of players who want to be at my table.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Oh no. I wasn't at all implying they'll have a new version of 13th Age out any time soon.

Just that it's going to be a really long time before I'd get a chance to play it.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    Defy Danger is the perfect name for what it represents and Sage Kobold Productions (Dungeon World's creators) are now permanently on my black list for thinking of it first. I am stuck with unevocative names like Countervail or Resist. Grrrr.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    My dear, dear friend had an epic game of Fate Accelerated with his children. I don't think he'd mind me posting his kid's character concepts here. They are truly adorable.
    Eight-year-old Robert played a tall, blue-skinned, half-dragon White Wizard named Rockbert (his High Concept) whose dragon side of him is taking over his body (his Trouble) and who is a collector of junk (his Aspect). Rockbert's Stunt is that he has developed a spell called "Rockbert's Magic Spring Bounce" in which, using an old spring from his junk collection as a focus, he can, once per game session, spring over any obstacle or physical barrier. (Careful 1, Clever 0, Flashy 1, Forceful 3, Quick 2, Sneaky 2).

Seven-year-old Sofia played a purple-skinned, pink-haired, winged rainbow fairy named Trinity (her High Concept) who has run out of "stuff" to make rainbows (her Trouble) and who is very nice to everybody (her Aspect). Trinity's Stunt is that when she sings, she gets a +2 to Flashy attempts to Overcome Obstacles. (Careful 2, Clever 1, Flashy 3, Forceful 0, Quick 2, Sneaky 1).

Five-year-old Elizabeth played Princess Aurora, the pink-gown-clad, blonde-haired, blue-eyed Princess of Flame Castle who wears a magic crown adorned with a circle of jewels (her High Concept) who can't find her mom and dad, the king and the queen (her Trouble), and who can use her magic crown to create sparkles and fireworks (her Aspect). Princess Aurora's Stunt is her Crown of Light, once per game session she can touch the jewels of her crown to create a flare of sparkles and fireworks that can temporarily blind opponents within sight of it.

Those characters are better than plenty of the ones that adults make, no joke

• dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    I played in my first Edge of the Empire game this weekend. It was pretty cool. My character is an Astromech Droid Technician (Mechanic/Slicer) who has the Jedi Code has part of his programming. He wants nothing more than to become a Jedi (he's not currently aware at the impossibility of such a thing) and spread their teachings throughout the galaxy.

He got into a bit of trouble after realizing that Teemo the Hutt's electronic games of chance were bilking the clientele of the gaming parlor out of their hard-earned credits. My droid decided that such a thing was very unfair and took it upon himself to slice all of the machines and rig them in the favor of the players instead of the house.

Now, I'm on the run. :)

steam_sig.png
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Those characters are better than plenty of the ones that adults make, no joke

I want to play! That game is going to be crazy cute! I see Ice Cream Mountains somewhere in that adventure.

• GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Al Baron wrote: »
    It will probably be as accurate as Tabletop (which they probably anticipated since the comments are disabled.)

This isn't the first time I've seen this sentiment. What did Tabletop get so wrong?

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I went to my FLGS and flipped through a copy of 13th Age. The production values are great, they seem like they've fixed a lot of the things that make GMing a D20 system tortorous.

But, I'm not buying it. I think, at this time anyway, that there are too many other games I'm interested in to justify spending more time with a D20 game.

• Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    op needs more monsterhearts

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Ha, on that topic if people want things added to the OP (err...SP) feel free to @ or PM me to get my attention. Some kind of link or reference to steal text from would be appriciated.

I know I have to add Marvel Heroic/Cortex and now...heh, monsterhearts.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    CF needs more monsterhearts. I wanna know what happens in your game!

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I will be posting in his game tonight

since I have been magnificently slack, as always

probably because I am busy writing INTRODUCTORY CAMPAIGN DOCUMENTS

This is for my game tomorrow, tell me what you think!
    Interesting Times, a campaign for Legend of the Five Rings

It is 1188, 60 years since the momentous defeat of Fu Leng upon the Second Day of Thunder. Emperor Kaneka I, by the grace of the Heavens, sits upon the Emerald Throne as he has done for twenty years, having ended three decades of strife and Clan War. During his reign, he has in his great wisdom restored the Akodo family and the Scorpion Clan, recognised the Mantis as a true Great Clan, and of course dispensed perfect knowledge, justice and wisdom to all. It is said that when Kaneka ascended to his position, the spirit of Hantei, flanked by the Dragons of Jade and Thunder, appeared in the sky above Otosan Uchi and blessed the new dynasty as chosen by the Kami itself. By the proclamation of the Sun herself, Kaneka will lead the Empire to even greater glories than ever before.

But not all is calm in the Emerald Empire. Though the Clans welcome peace after the spiralling chaos of the Shattered Empire, as it was known, a new generation who have never known such warfare and brutality have come to the fore. Hungry for glory and adventure, a restless undercurrent has filled the courts, an undercurrent not aided by the advancing age of the Son of Heaven.

Fortunately, there is an outlet for such. Kaneka I, in his infinite and piercing wisdom, saw across the darkness of the Shadowlands to a wide realm, once populated by a vast civilization, now seemingly dust. The Divine Emperor foresaw that peace could not truly last, and as such, issued forth the Mantis, Unicorn and Lion to travel past the Burning Sands and Shadowed Seas to what was once known as the Ivory Kingdoms. There, amidst the steaming ruins, they cleared away remnant gaijin forces and strange beasts, and founded a new City, a Second City of the Empire, an outlet for the resurgence of fierce ambition which always arose during times of peace.
    That city has new stood for nearly as long as the new Imperial Dynasty, and is home to many Samurai who seek to make a glorious name for themselves and their families. All Clans are interested in the Colonies, for there is much to be found there, resources, knowledge and political power all flow strongly from this strange new world.

That is not to say that dangers do not abound. There are beasts which lurk in the shadows of the Colonies and Rokugan itself, whispers that the Gaijin Empire which once ruled the Second City and its lands still remains in the West, and the very wise warn that in the deepest night, the darkness roils with black shapes which neither forget nor forgive. But Rokugan is a land of heroes, and whatever the future throws at them, such men and women will rise and battle it, with honour as strong as steel!

Or so the stories shall say…

• bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I went to my FLGS and flipped through a copy of 13th Age. The production values are great, they seem like they've fixed a lot of the things that make GMing a D20 system tortorous.

But, I'm not buying it. I think, at this time anyway, that there are too many other games I'm interested in to justify spending more time with a D20 game.

It's okay, my second book arrived today, so my sales have made up for it... or something...?

Seriously though, 13th Age might be on the level of "the last d20 game I'll pay for" for me.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    What, no love for Everyone Is John?

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

That's certainly one of those games my friends and I talk about doing some night, but never actually get around to.

DarkPrimus wrote: »

That's certainly one of those games my friends and I talk about doing some night, but never actually get around to.

It's good fun. One thing I do when running it is, I don't let the players pick their own obsessions. I write up a set of obsessions, and then have them each write one obsession of each level. Then it gets shuffled so that everybody ends up with a level-1, a level-2, and a level-3.

Makes it slightly more of a party game than an RPG, but it also ensures that people come up with entertaining obsessions.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    Grrr.

I love the idea for my Torchbearer campaign, but it is not translating into a dungeon location.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Grrr.

I love the idea for my Torchbearer campaign, but it is not translating into a dungeon location.

aww nuts

fuck gendered marketing
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Grrr.

Turn it upside down and make yourself a tower.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
    Grrr.

All the characters share a dream one night. In this dream, they're all a single adventurer entering a dungeon. Use the Everyone Is John mechanics, loosely, to determine who has control at any given time.

It's a puzzle dungeon. Scattered around, there are various clues written behind some sort of mini-puzzle or obstacle. Here's the kicker: Whenever the players solve a puzzle and receive a clue, don't read it aloud. Give it, in writing, to the player who's in control at that specific moment.

At the end of the dungeon, there's a difficult puzzle that is, of course, much easier if you have the clues.

When the last, difficult puzzle is solved, the adventurer receives a magic item of great power. All the players wake up, and whoever was in control at the time now possesses the magic item.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    Here is the setup:

The snows have winter haven't receded and the end of Spring is rapidly approaching. The local lord arranged for extra trade caravans to visit the cities, but after a strong of roadside attacks by strange beasts the merchants won't come. What's worse, his son has been kidnapped by a local group of bandits demanding ransom. They're holed up in the woods outside the city, near the old worship sites when only Druids called this area home.

So basically, I have to draw some sort of Druidic worship site that connects to an underground complex that will last a lot of sessions of play.

Grrr.

All the characters share a dream one night. In this dream, they're all a single adventurer entering a dungeon. Use the Everyone Is John mechanics, loosely, to determine who has control at any given time.

It's a puzzle dungeon. Scattered around, there are various clues written behind some sort of mini-puzzle or obstacle. Here's the kicker: Whenever the players solve a puzzle and receive a clue, don't read it aloud. Give it, in writing, to the player who's in control at that specific moment.

At the end of the dungeon, there's a difficult puzzle that is, of course, much easier if you have the clues.

When the last, difficult puzzle is solved, the adventurer receives a magic item of great power. All the players wake up, and whoever was in control at the time now possesses the magic item.

This, while a cool idea, will not work for Torchbearer.

Grrr.

This, while a cool idea, will not work for Torchbearer.

Spoilers: I don't know anything about Torchbearer.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    I really want to play torchbearer at some point

fuck gendered marketing
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

It's good fun. One thing I do when running it is, I don't let the players pick their own obsessions. I write up a set of obsessions, and then have them each write one obsession of each level. Then it gets shuffled so that everybody ends up with a level-1, a level-2, and a level-3.

Makes it slightly more of a party game than an RPG, but it also ensures that people come up with entertaining obsessions.

Everyone Is John has always struck me as kind of a "party game RPG" where you crash and burn through it in a single night, like Wurthering Heights.

We also need to get our IRC BW game up and running.

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Here is the setup:

The snows have winter haven't receded and the end of Spring is rapidly approaching. The local lord arranged for extra trade caravans to visit the cities, but after a strong of roadside attacks by strange beasts the merchants won't come. What's worse, his son has been kidnapped by a local group of bandits demanding ransom. They're holed up in the woods outside the city, near the old worship sites when only Druids called this area home.

So basically, I have to draw some sort of Druidic worship site that connects to an underground complex that will last a lot of sessions of play.

A massive tree with roots that extend for miles underground, creating a vast subterranean network of caves and tunnels filled with all sorts of dangerous flora, fauna, and fungi? And the roots are constantly growing and shifting, causing the dungeon to change shape and become more maze-like the longer they're in there?

Denada wrote: »
    Here is the setup:

A massive tree with roots that extend for miles underground, creating a vast subterranean network of caves and tunnels filled with all sorts of dangerous flora, fauna, and fungi? And the roots are constantly growing and shifting, causing the dungeon to change shape and become more maze-like the longer they're in there?

This is a great idea! I will definitely be using in it in the future.

I did a GIS for "ancient religious sites" and got the below, which was similar to what I had in my head:

delphi_tholos.jpg

I thought the same thing. Make the caves wet, organic, unflagged, raw stone and earth. Lots of water, and not designed for human habitation at all. Take inspiration from actual natural cave complexes rather than Moria.

I did this in a 4e dungeon with myconids, and it was fun.

I thought the same thing. Make the caves wet, organic, unflagged, raw stone and earth. Lots of water, and not designed for human habitation at all. Take inspiration from actual natural cave complexes rather than Moria.

I did this in a 4e dungeon with myconids, and it was fun.

Yep. I'm doing a side profile sketch of it right now. There are a few main chambers which are not fine-hewn stone, but more like basic mud and stone construction mixed in with lots of natural caves (the Druids curiosity to see the secrets of the earth took them deeper and deeper. Four floors total, multiple paths to the bottom.

Finally got out of the rut.

We also need to get our IRC BW game up and running.

right now trying to get 2 BW games running

fuck gendered marketing
    I just read about Torchbearer.

Now I want Torchbearer as well as everything else.

All the RPGs.

You guys suck/rule.

MhCw7nZ.gif
This discussion has been closed.