As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] - The thrilling F2P adventures of Henroid, Bounty Hunter and snappy dresser.

CorehealerCorehealer The ApothecaryThe softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
edited March 2014 in MMO Extravaganza
STAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC F2P!

swtor.jpg

For when you just gotta have that genuine space opera RPG feel and don't mind shelling out a few hundred thousand credits on the GTN or a few bucks on the Cartel market for pretty space princess clothing and Tauntaun mounts.

uzx0Zwu.jpg

This is the SWTOR MMO thread wherein we continue to roll alts, crush warzones, share stories of roleplaying joy and LFG sorrow and post spoilers in spoilers.

Have a comprehensive video that explains a lot of the game's mechanics, story stuff (no spoilers) and the nature of F2P and SWTOR. For more specific inquiries, ask in the thread and one of the PA regulars can give you answers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlD9aH8fqY0

PA peeps that play are easy to find in this thread and frequent the servers The Shadowlands and Jedi Covenant. There might be one or two others active on other servers but the main people who still play are on both factions on those servers. That's not to say there's a lot of us, but we are still enjoying the game's stories and rolling alts as well as PvPing and LFGing it up.

The launch PA guilds on Shadowlands are both defunct, mostly the Republic one, but Remarkable Circumference merged with a pub guild on the Imp side a while back and still has some PA peeps in it as well as players who semi regularly run flashpoints and Ops. Ask in thread for specifics on an invite.

NEW: Some helpful tips for starting out in the new Galactic Starfighter PvP minigame:
Fixer40000 wrote: »
Agent Jellico's tips:
  • Manage your crew, make sure you have the crew members that give the best boosts to each ship, of those crew you can pick one that is your co-pilot and gives you an additional ability.
  • Make sure you fly the tutorial, you can access that by clicking the question mark top right of the hangar window
  • Before you finish the tutorial practise flying close to the satellites to capture them and to get a feeling for the controls.
  • When using blasters you need to bullseye the center of the circular target reticule. It's an extremely small target, so it will be tricky to pick up.
  • When trying to dogfight, you can slow your ship (by pressing S) to give yourself a tighter turn.
  • When turning to catch someone, get ready to move your mouse to center just before the hit the screen so you don't overshoot and you get another precious second of cannon/lock on time.
  • Cluster missiles are the dogfighting missiles of choice. Short lock on time, plenty of ammo, drawbacks are low damage and short range.
  • If you're flying a strike fighter get some Ion cannons. They do great damage Vs shields, then you can swap to cannons or missiles to crack the hull.
  • Check out some of the upgrade abilities too. Ion cannons drain engine power at level 4, Concussion missiles can get a slow effect at level 5, gunship ion rails are nasty.
  • Save your fleet requisition for new ships at first. My personal favourite is the S-13 Sting/Flashfire

488W936.png
Corehealer on

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it might be easier to just let people ask questions about the f2p model, since questions are invariably highly specific

how feasible would you dudes say it is to gear up at 55 without being a subscriber? I don't really have enough time to play this that I want to subscribe, but it would be fun to do something with my sorc again

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    ...not very? Unless you're ok with wearing level 53 blue mods I guess. Anything purple (so, all level 55 gear basically) you need to purchase an Artifact Equipment Authorization for. Which is like 1200 coins for a single character, and I can't even check the price for an Account unlock because I'm subbed.

You can buy them on the GTN of course. On Shadowlands right now the cheapest single character unlock is 340,000 (just shy of the Preferred credit cap) and the account unlock is going for 750,000.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
  • Options
    SubbySubby Registered User new member
    Well we got us a Taun taun...now if only the bantha could be a mount. I would never remove my tusken raider armor from my sniper

• Options
    spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    ObiFett I gave you invite privileges.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Woot.

• Options
    Goddammit Bioware, give me an item where you crawl into your tauntaun to regen health & energy.

I'm throwing money at the screen with both hands!!

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Goddammit Bioware, give me an item where you crawl into your tauntaun to regen health & energy.

I'm throwing money at the screen with both hands!!

Nah, too much time and energy, not to mention money, needed to model all player models to be able to enter the corpse. And you'd technically kill your mount.

And who knows what the game ratings agency will think of players crawling around inside their mounts for warmth.

488W936.png
  • Options
    I don't think it's any squickier than being swallowed by a giant phallic sand worm, yet here we are.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Besides, they do the Bacta Bath and Carbonite Freeze healing animations.
    Just make this another rest animation that includes a unique dismount (and can only be used while with it)

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Got hit by the new FP not counting against the weekly bug.

Did Meltdown twice and it's showing as incomplete.

• Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    spamfilter wrote: »
    Got hit by the new FP not counting against the weekly bug.

Did Meltdown twice and it's showing as incomplete.

I guess that's why they're patching again now

The Czerka labs daily/weekly sure seems like a quick and easy way to get some coms. I dig it

• Options
    DrElementaryDrElementary Registered User regular
    I'm excited to do some Czerka stuff. I've loved to hate them since KOTOR.
    On a similar note, the Tatooine planet storyline is the only one I always do all the way through, on purpose anyway. Lots of others I just drop or skip when my class story runs out.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Nah, too much time and energy, not to mention money, needed to model all player models to be able to enter the corpse. And you'd technically kill your mount.

It must be hell to have to animate the 1 model they use.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I saw the tauntaun mount the other day, that thing looks hell of dumb

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I saw a few while leveling my alt on Voss, and the Tuantaun's running animation just looks plain strange.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    When you see a Tauntaun for the first time ... and it's on fleet,
    whole thing feels kinda "meh".
    IMO

• Options

It must be hell to have to animate the 1 model they use.

They have 5 models; Small, Medium, Large, Male Fat, Female Fat, all humanoid but somewhat different.

But I'll agree it wouldn't be hard but I'm not holding my breath on this one.

488W936.png
  • Options
    kmzkmz Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Man... it's like I don't even know you people. (Wait, I don't really.) I love my Tauntaun mount so much it's ridiculous. Not my video but, come on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty7WKSFSetA

kmz on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    Anyone know how to report a problem to tech support without calling? I let my sub lapse & now because of the server merges all my characters are gone. I can't send an in-game ticket, the official forums won't let me post, & I don't recall all the character names/levels. (I had about 5 going)

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Tach wrote: »
    Anyone know how to report a problem to tech support without calling? I let my sub lapse & now because of the server merges all my characters are gone. I can't send an in-game ticket, the official forums won't let me post, & I don't recall all the character names/levels. (I had about 5 going)

If you can't post on the forums, calling is your only avenue.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    people who aren't subbed basically have no support options

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Your characters are moved, but they shouldn't be deleted, you should still be able to log into your account and find them.

spamfilter on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Have you actively gone to all the servers? It could be the server list only shows you the number of active characters you have there, so if this is your first time back since f2p, they'd all be inactive and thus not shown at the server list.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    PvP . . . is a ... thing some ppl like.
    If you are familiar with PvP, then just move along ...
    if you are still trying to figure thins thing out ... good luck.
    In the mean time,
    lemme tell'uh ... saké unfortunately has a negative impact on your PvP performance ...
    ... it also puts your communication skills in the shitter ...
    http://youtu.be/9Gzb5gTYG1k
    How ever ... it has a very positive impact on your PvP match outcome ....
    Still trying to figure out why this is.
    Also, I will get back with an analyzis of that ... gawd awful game ....shit, that was bad. How they managd to turn thast around....
    tl;dr dranka has no influence

Commodore75 on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    No, I signed up after f2p, and subbed for a month. After that, my sub lapsed and they condensed servers. I've logged into each now, and only have the option to create a new character on each.

Guess I'll call them.

*edit- this may have to do with the switch from e-mail based login names to non e-mail based. I used the new name the assigned me, so I don't know how that could be a problem, but...

Tach on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    So I made a whimpering Jedi fool on Jedi Covenant.

Who do I need to talk to about playing with you folks? Any time I've said something in the PA chat channel I've gotten no response.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Are you on Jedi Covenant or a different server?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    I'm already in both the guilds on Shadowlands but they appear to be either dead or overrun by bros. So I jumped on over to JC.

Is the PA channel not a thing over there? Because that would explain quite a bit.

• Options
    I'm already in both the guilds on Shadowlands but they appear to be either dead or overrun by bros. So I jumped on over to JC.

Is the PA channel not a thing over there? Because that would explain quite a bit.

No there is def a PA channel on JC, but I think Core and I are only on the pub side late at night. Goatmon is on during the day more, I think?

More people are on the imp side also.

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

No there is def a PA channel on JC, but I think Core and I are only on the pub side late at night. Goatmon is on during the day more, I think?

More people are on the imp side also.

There was a small recent upsurge in interest during one of the recent patches, and most went with the Imps, but otherwise SWTOR only ever really has had a small PA population since launch, with people doing their own thing. I for example only really ever see Cam online at any given time late night and I only play the game for single player RPG times, and don't really touch anything else. Do /cjoin Pennyarcade on either side of JC server and you'll probably see me Republic side or Mild Confusion on his Inquisitor, Rhaevos, on the Imp side, and Cam on both, interspersed with one or two others.

For me, it's a stopover until Wildstar, Star Citizen and Everquest Next among other things start showing up. So I'm not too fussed. And I do find time to socialize with the general population, which is actually less crap when not using the group finder most of the time, because you talk to people rather then just use them purely as cannon fodder.

488W936.png
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    there were over 100 people in the Republic PA guild at launch, with another 60 in the Candymancers. After about 3 months, the usual PA drop-off occurred, leaving only about a fifth of total members around. From there on it got progressively worse. I've since joined up with the Reddit people, even though I haven't been playing much as of late due to other games.

253J736.png
  • Options
    Damn. I thought I was leaving a fairly dead server (PA-wise) for a not dead one.

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    there are a couple people on Jedi Covenant that post here, but overall the PA presence is sparse for the game now. Like normal, most people have moved on to other games.

253J736.png
  • Options
    I am in a pug Republic guild for the exp gain, and in Cam's leveling guild on the Imp side. I haven't touched a warzone but remember enjoying Huttball a bit at launch so I might hit that up at some point.

488W936.png
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity, would you be able to go through all the main storyline stuff without a subscription? I've heard good things about the story part, at least.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, would you be able to go through all the main storyline stuff without a subscription? I've heard good things about the story part, at least.

You would be able to do so, yeah. Mostly it would involve a lot of irritation and probably more grinding than you might want to do, but the stories are pretty great, especially the universally lauded Imperial Agent story.

• Options
    Sith warrior is also utterly fantastic. I've enjoyed BH as well.

Republic class stories have been largely blah. They aren't BAD as it were, just not crazy awesome.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Hrm interesting, I may look into doing some of the storylines with a free account at some point. Then again, ideally my free time will be greatly reduced in the near future, so we'll see.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I am in a pug Republic guild for the exp gain, and in Cam's leveling guild on the Imp side. I haven't touched a warzone but remember enjoying Huttball a bit at launch so I might hit that up at some point.

What's the guild that Cam is running?

This discussion has been closed.