As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comics in Movies and Beyond: The Sequeling

• BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Who to cast as Batman is really dependent on the kind of story they want to tell, and I doubt they even have a script yet.

they don't have a script, but they've been very clear on the kind of story they want to tell. They quoted one of the more grimdark lines from The Dark Knight Returns at SDCC, and Snyder has said outright that the's been consulting with Frank Miller on the scrript.

They always cite some comic in connection to the story of the next film, but they never follow the story that closely. I'd be very surprised if this movie bore more than a superficial resemblance to Miller's story.

But a superficial resemblance is still too much of a resemblance for it to be a good story/movie, really.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    http://youtu.be/Z8W9pfVJd-w

Apparently Evan Dorkin is behind a new DC Nation short about the Metal Men.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    The funny thing is that there is someone who until last week was writing both Batman and Superman. But let's not ask him anything.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Bruce Wayne doesn't have to be Batman. It might be interesting if Batman is a myth that began in the 40's or 50's. Damian could be the current Batman.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    That new Thor trailer is so good!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Ok seriously someone else watch Joker Rising so I can talk about it with someone!

Watched it just now and yeah, not bad. Few clever takes on Batman villains. I was starting to think it was a Batman-themed crime story without an actual Batman in it - then I thought it was strange that they went to so much trouble to make it match up with the recent Batman films
    and then tossed in a line about Dent being a crimelord, which totally messes with it.

Fan films are certainly picking up - I liked the Joker Blogs myself. They're straying closer and closer to the comics in some creative ways.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The funny thing is that there is someone who until last week was writing both Batman and Superman. But let's not ask him anything.

DC/WB isn't as inclusive with comic writers like Marvel is. Not to mention Snyder has worked with Miller before on 300.

Not to mention Snyder has worked with Miller before on 300.

Yeah, and that's what scares me. 300 was almost a shot-for-panel reproduction of a OGN that sucks.

Watching the Thor 2 trailer, my first thought when I saw this still was that it was Korg (who was introduced as a Thor villain).
    thor-2-dark-world-trailer.png-0872013-095512.jpg
    Except then it gets jobbed like it was nothing. But then, that is basically what Thor did to Korg's brothers. So it's probably of the same species.

So apparently the Scarlet Witch won't be in Days of Future Past alongside Quicksilver.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/178653-bryan-singer-reveals-new-details-about-x-men-days-of-future-past

Golden Yak wrote: »
    Ok seriously someone else watch Joker Rising so I can talk about it with someone!

Watched it just now and yeah, not bad. Few clever takes on Batman villains. I was starting to think it was a Batman-themed crime story without an actual Batman in it - then I thought it was strange that they went to so much trouble to make it match up with the recent Batman films
    and then tossed in a line about Dent being a crimelord, which totally messes with it.

Fan films are certainly picking up - I liked the Joker Blogs myself. They're straying closer and closer to the comics in some creative ways.

Ya if they don't get to do this further, I hope they realize they are great gangster/crime writers, and should do a straight out gangster/crime flick

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Watching the Thor 2 trailer, my first thought when I saw this still was that it was Korg (who was introduced as a Thor villain).
    Except then it gets jobbed like it was nothing. But then, that is basically what Thor did to Korg's brothers. So it's probably of the same species.

Yeah, I thought the same thing.

The stone people from the comics are Kronans from 'beyond Saturn,' but I'm guessing the creature in the film is some kind of Asgardian/Dark Elf monster. Totally looks based on the Kronans, though.

H9f4bVe.png
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Bruce Wayne doesn't have to be Batman. It might be interesting if Batman is a myth that began in the 40's or 50's. Damian could be the current Batman.

I really love this idea. The idea that Batman may even have been an inspiration for young Clark, except taken the opposite direction, and that Bruce Wayne is retired or dead (hmm, that could involve folding the Batman Beyond movie there's been talk about into the story), but his son ("Such a scandal! He recognized him publicly, and not a word about his mother! These days it wouldn't be such a big deal, but back then...") carries on the "family business", and is particularly prickly and defensive where his father's legacy is concerned, so he sees this "Superman" as just someone stealing his dad's thunder--kind of missing the point that to this day the original Batman remains an urban legend...

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

The stone people from the comics are Kronans from 'beyond Saturn,' but I'm guessing the creature in the film is some kind of Asgardian/Dark Elf monster. Totally looks based on the Kronans, though.

I 100% guarantee that
    He turns around and it reforms

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

I thought it was a Mountain Troll.

Norgoth wrote: »

I 100% guarantee that
    He turns around and it reforms

QUIET YOU!
    Of course.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Well, we know they won't go shot-for-shot on all of DKR, since that basically means that Superman would be cameoing in his own movie. Also, Nolan already cribbed some bits of it. (As a tangent, it's almost a shame how many good Batman stories Nolan cherry-picked from. Might make it hard to re-use them for a while.)

But yeah, with Snyder having done 300 and Watchmen, I pretty much expect the fight to follow Miller's story slavishly. Of course, the motivation is going to have to change, since based on MOS, I don't see this Superman being a government stooge anytime soon.

Here's something funny: Going by YouTube video views, Batman is of course the most popular superhero. But who's the second most popular? Not Superman. Not Spider-Man.

It's Thor!

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/08/batman-youtube-most-popular-superhero/

That's probably my fault, I've watched the Thor trailers like a million times

Disney teases Big Hero 6 at D23 Expo

BigHero6Top.jpg

SanFransokyo.jpg

BH6postcard.jpg

So going by the silhouettes on the postcard left to right, I'm going to guess Gogo Tomago, Wasabi no Ginger, Hiro, Baymax, Honey Lemon, and Fredzilla.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Another piece of Big Hero 6 concept art:

J0ozxPs.jpg

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2013/08/09/james-gunn-thunderbolts/
    Yesterday, "Guardians of the Galaxy" director James Gunn revealed via his Formspring page that there are three other comic book properties he'd be interested in getting his hands on: "We3," "Hit-Monkey," and "Thunderbolts." While this talk was in no way an announcement or even an indicator of what's to come, I can't even begin to explain how awesome it would be to see a James Gunn adaptation of "Thunderbolts."

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Let's see how he does with Guardians first

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    We3 as a movie, I'm torn, on one hand We3 was great, on the other hand it could cause massive death via dehydration from the sheer number of tears it will cause

James Gunn is the secret identity of ... Tearjerker.

Hitmonkey, wha-at... that's too crazy to even contemplate.

Thunderbolts would be interesting, although as a book it was great because we were largely familiar with most of the villains before they become heroes. Introducing them in films first would be tricky since villains tend not to survive them.

I wonder if it'd be like the original story where villains are disguised as heroes, the later government funded super-villain community service, or secret evil hit-squad.

H9f4bVe.png
    Probably the second.

It was the best.

H9f4bVe.png
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    We3 as a movie, I'm torn, on one hand We3 was great, on the other hand it could cause massive death via dehydration from the sheer number of tears it will cause

Maybe it was just over-sold for me but We3 to me wasn't that depressing, and I'm a dog lover. It was still great though.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

BigHero6Top.jpg

SanFransokyo.jpg

BH6postcard.jpg

So going by the silhouettes on the postcard left to right, I'm going to guess Gogo Tomago, Wasabi no Ginger, Hiro, Baymax, Honey Lemon, and Fredzilla.

I'll match the wager.

Seems they're going for a bit more of a unified Tokusatsu thing for the uniforms. Could work, and I think I like (depending on how the final looks) how they're integrating the motorcycle rider thing more closely into Gogo Tomago's costume.

Man. Big Hero Six movie. We're discussing a Big Hero 6 movie, and DC is making... Superman Vs. Batman.

Remember when that would have been exciting? Man. Marvel has upped the game.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    A Thunderbolts movie could be useful. Let's learn about the Marvel Movie underworld.

• cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    I want my Matt Fraction's Hawkeye movie.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    I want my Matt Fraction's Hawkeye movie tv show.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    A Thunderbolts movie could be useful. Let's learn about the Marvel Movie underworld.

I've mentioned this before, but I think a MCU Beetle would be a good criminal counterpart to Tony Stark, especially with his perpetually upgrading armor. He'd also work as an antagonist in other ways, be it as a petty crook, an information thief, and so on.

Antimatter on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Maybe it was just over-sold for me but We3 to me wasn't that depressing, and I'm a dog lover. It was still great though.

gud-dog.jpg

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Princess Registered User regular
    Why... why is everything so blurry?

::sniff sniff::

Naw, shut up! I'm not... crying from a single panel.

go awaaaaaaaay

Whoa was looking up We3 stuff, and never realized that it's rumored ( altho apparently by Morrison himself) that they were Weapons 2,3,4 of the Weapon X program

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Id assume he wrote it for marvel originally but they didnt want publish it for whatever reason

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    We3 is really an amazing story. If you were given the basic premise and told to fucking write it and make it work, could you? I fucking couldn't.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

BigHero6Top.jpg

SanFransokyo.jpg

BH6postcard.jpg

I'll match the wager.

Seems they're going for a bit more of a unified Tokusatsu thing for the uniforms. Could work, and I think I like (depending on how the final looks) how they're integrating the motorcycle rider thing more closely into Gogo Tomago's costume.

Man. Big Hero Six movie. We're discussing a Big Hero 6 movie, and DC is making... Superman Vs. Batman.

Remember when that would have been exciting? Man. Marvel has upped the game.

Chris Sims nailed it why I feel so eh about SvsB:
    See, here’s the thing: I don’t think they should do a team-up movie. It’s not because I don’t like to see those two characters team up, but because they haven’t done anything that feels like it could lead to a team-up story that’s even remotely viable. It doesn’t feel like they’re doing this because there’s a story they’ve been building to, or even because they have a particular story that would work with those characters. It feels like they’re doing it because… well, because Marvel made a junkton of money with an Avengers movie franchise, and now that somebody else has proved it’s profitable, they can’t just sit there and not do it. But that’s not really anything new; DC’s been trying to do stuff that worked at Marvel for the past fifty years.

For better or worse, the Avengers movies were made to be a franchise. They built them up and laid the groundwork for connections for years, and the major accomplishment when it all came together was that they took a bunch of movies that had completely different themes and ideas and managed to combine them into something that really worked with all those parts. Mythological gods and super-technology and alien invasions and some dude with arrows all blended really well to create the idea of a shared universe — even the Hulk, which had the most scattershot record going into it with two poorly received films and three actors in the role, felt like he fit in.

The Superman and Batman movies, on the other hand, don’t really have that connection. They’re isolated, and even the franchises themselves don’t have a whole lot of consistency at this point. Even putting aside my problems with Man of Steel, Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy is over and done with, so they’re basically attempting to reboot Batman within a team-up story. The entire reason the World’s Finest team works is that we’re seeing these two strong, well-defined characters come together to play off their similarities and differences. Look at the Justice League animated series, or for an even more direct comparison, the World’s Finest animated movie, which succeeded largely because it was building on a pre-existing, fully realized Batman and Superman. Without those characters being established, there’s no way to really strike a balance, it just becomes a movie about Batman with Superman in a supporting role. It could go the other way, too, but given that the people making those movies seem to be thoroughly embarrassed by Superman, I’d bet ca$h money that they’re opting for an awful lot of Kryptonite punches.

• Merlin the TunaMerlin the Tuna Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think he's really on point with that. And I like a lot of the ideas in his goofy pitch, too. I've still never read Animal Man, but "alternate universe evil Superman" is a simple enough and rehashed enough concept that I think it'd be easy enough to take in. And at first I figured that the general moviegoing public would have an issue with "The movie you watched a couple years ago, yeah that wasn't really the superhero you thought it was, doesn't count," but it's not actually that far removed from rebooting Spider-Man so qiuckly.

This discussion has been closed.