As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Upgrade worth it?

tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Take a look at the specs on my blazing fast rig!

Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 2.2Ghz (Socket 939)
Asus A8N5X Mobo
1 GB DDR RAM
Gigabyte GeForce 7600GT
Windows XP Home

So here's what I'm wondering - would an upgrade to a dual-core processor (a socket 939 Athlon 64 X2 4200+ or 4400+) be worth it? Would I see a performance increase? The X2 4200+ is $80 at Newegg, and I've seen a used 4400+ that I could maybe get. So should I go for it? How much would you pay for a used 4400+? It's just the processor, used, so I'm thinking maybe $60. Is that a fair offer?

steam_sig.png
tsmvengy on

• Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Id be weary of any used computer parts myself. No telling what you could be getting or how durable it is. For $20 more, I would take the $80 4200+ over a 4400 used for $60 and keep the peace of mind that a returnable product and non-tampered/used one gives me. I dont know what socket they are, but make sure they fit your current mother board as well.

KVW on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    OK, I had the same thought - that a warranty would be nice. If I bought the used proc it would definitely have an "it works" guarantee, but not more than that. So two questions now - how much of a boost is the 4200 going to give me? Noticeable? And how much better would the 4400+ be?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    OK, I had the same thought - that a warranty would be nice. If I bought the used proc it would definitely have an "it works" guarantee, but not more than that. So two questions now - how much of a boost is the 4200 going to give me? Noticeable? And how much better would the 4400+ be?

I would say save the cash. That upgrade is going to net you marginal gains considering how far software is ahead of even the current crop of hardware, especially if we are talking about games.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    So here's what I'm wondering - would an upgrade to a dual-core processor (a socket 939 Athlon 64 X2 4200+ or 4400+) be worth it? Would I see a performance increase?

Depends what you're using it for.

Video rendering? Yes.

Multi-tasking? Depends what you do, but probably.

CPU-intensive games like Morrowind? Yes.

Video-card intensive games like Bioshock? No.

Marty81 on