As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons" is the best game I've played all year

RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazedby the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
Brothers_Hero.jpg

Out today on 360, soon on PS3 and Steam.

Don't even hesitate.

Go get this fucking game.

It is excellent.

Have you played it yet? Let's talk about it.

Spoilers in spoilers.

8406wWN.png

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I will get this because it looks really cool.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I'm in the cave

Its ok so far

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    End game spoiler
    Burying your brother, then using his trigger button to do the things only he could do earlier was fucking ridiculously brilliant.

I cannot get over how cool the gameplay in the sections where you are tied together was, or how badass the Mountain of Giants was.

Fuck, this god damned game is so good.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Gabe just tweeted about this earlier today; I'm glad it's available on something I own (rather than PC only, seems like a lot of the cool indie games are).

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Gabe just tweeted about this earlier today; I'm glad it's available on something I own (rather than PC only, seems like a lot of the cool indie games are).

Starbreeze is not really an indie studio

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    You know, I heard about this thing and it sounded like it'd be really gimmicky.

But the way Kuchera talks about it...I think I have to see this.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2013
    Is this actually out yet? I cannot find it on Steam.

EDIT: I am illiterate.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    @Rankenphile

Does this game get any more complicated? I just got to the campfire and so far it's been incredibly simple

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    @Rankenphile

Does this game get any more complicated? I just got to the campfire and so far it's been incredibly simple

Camp fire? Trying to remember.

It doesn't get super complicated, and its not a particularly tough game, but they do mix up the control mechanics a bit and introduce more twists on the gameplay. It gets incredibly clever, and the story gets wonderful.

It is very short, though, but is a very satisfying story,

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    I heard this game might have a few scripting bugs

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    @Rankenphile

It doesn't get super complicated, and its not a particularly tough game, but they do mix up the control mechanics a bit and introduce more twists on the gameplay. It gets incredibly clever, and the story gets wonderful.

I just went through the cave and rescued the trolls wife. It cuts back to their father and then cuts to them around a campfire. I had to fend off some wolves. and am now at a graveyard.

• Options

They have a publisher, but they're still pretty small. This certainly isn't their first game, but I would be absolutely floored if a studio could pull off this quality of a game as a freshman effort.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    @Rankenphile

I just went through the cave and rescued the trolls wife. It cuts back to their father and then cuts to them around a campfire. I had to fend off some wolves. and am now at a graveyard.

Oh yeah.

Yes. Gets much better. You basically just finished the first level after the tutorial. There's probably six levels or so total, maybe seven or eight, but they're not really levels per se.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    whaaaat i'm playing this right now get out of my brain-house

kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    I played through this whole game at work today.

It is such a treat.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    @Rankenphile

Oh yeah.

Yes. Gets much better. You basically just finished the first level after the tutorial. There's probably six levels or so total, maybe seven or eight, but they're not really levels per se.

Ok cool. I like the visuals and the idea but around when
    I had a "boss fight" that was the standard "Make this guy run into the wall three times" thing

I was hoping they had thought up better stuff to do with their mechanics

• Options
    Mid-game spoilers:
    the whole invisible giant sequence is god damned brilliant.

And the part where you rescue the girl had me laughing out loud the entire time.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    @Rankenphile

Oh yeah.

Ok cool. I like the visuals and the idea but around when
    I had a "boss fight" that was the standard "Make this guy run into the wall three times" thing

I was hoping they had thought up better stuff to do with their mechanics

Yeah that was kind of a groaner.

Totally gets better.

The other big boss fight in the game is sort of equally a let down, and the inspiration for it up is super obvious.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    Hey Rank,

Can you talk about the qualities of this game that you really liked? This thing wasn't even on my radar until this very thread, I would be interested to hear about what type of game this is.

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    well you have to get the rope

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    Hey Rank,

Can you talk about the qualities of this game that you really liked? This thing wasn't even on my radar until this very thread, I would be interested to hear about what type of game this is.

It's an adventure/puzzle game with a heavy emphasis on character and atmosphere.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I have a little brother!

He bit me in the butt once.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

They have a publisher, but they're still pretty small. This certainly isn't their first game, but I would be absolutely floored if a studio could pull off this quality of a game as a freshman effort.

in my world, if I pay $15 for a downloaded game and it's not a re-issue of something that originally came out on a disc

it's indie

• Options
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    Hey Rank,

The use of the control scheme is the first obvious answer -- you control the younger brother with the left control stick and trigger, the older with the right.

The way they pulled this off and utilize it in both mechanical ways and into the narrative is wonderfully done.

The story itself is genuinely good, and they do an amazing job of not explaining it, just letting you wander and discover most of it. The core storyline is fairly simple, but the world they made does a wonderful job of turning into this perfect storybook world. Really clever.

The gameplay mechanics themselves feel very organic to the settings, which was very clever.

Try it.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    Neat! I will.

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    as soon as this is on Steam I'm getting it

• Options
    Dumpster_MouthDumpster_Mouth Registered User regular
    I just read all the spoilers. Thanks for saving me the dough SUCKERS.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I just read all the spoilers. Thanks for saving me the dough SUCKERS.

your posting career's off to a great start

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    this game seems cool but the fact that you made a thread for this and not shark week is a travesty, rank

• Options
    Hullis wrote: »
    this game seems cool but the fact that you made a thread for this and not shark week is a travesty, rank

Yes, because I've only done that like eight times, and jokes are only funny when they're repeated endlessly and predictably.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    And also I totally have cable like some kind of cave man and also knew it was shark week before it was shark week instead of accidentally forgetting because I got ridiculously busy with work and other life stuff things.

That's totally what happened.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I'm glad Vin Deisel allowed Starbreeze some artistic liberties but frankly I have no idea what this has to do with either Butcher Bay or the new Riddick movie

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    It's a prequel.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    No Rank, it's a total travesty that you told us about this sweet game and not a running gag about an annual event that hardly anyone sincerely cares about outside of said running gag.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ARE YOU TALKING SHIT ABOUT SHARK WEEK, MOTHERFUCKER

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Personally I hate Rankenphile for not making a Shark Week thread and will never trust anything he says ever again.
    Nah this game looks neat, might wait for the PC release next month though

• Options
    BECAUSE THERE ARE THREE THINGS IN LIFE I CARE ABOUT

SHARK WEEK

KICKFLIP TRICKS

AND LIKE TWENTY OTHER THINGS

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Rank, c'mon now. It's clear whatever passion you had for Shark Week is gone now.

You're just going through the sharky motions at this point.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Did you say 'shark emotions'?