As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homemade RPGS - A Chest Bursting Example.

LaveLave regular
edited September 2006 in Critical Failures
The thread in which we talk about games where you didn't buy a rule book

In honour of this new forum I thought I would right up a little game I made up back when I dm'd almost a decade ago.

LAVE'S ALIEN RPG
It's an RPG based on the Alien trilogy because ONLY THREE FILMS WERE EVER MADE.
alientrailersf4.jpg

Anyhow it will be a little hazy and shit - so please indulge me - it had a good gimmick you might like, but you do need a group who will give it a chance and *shudder* roleplay.

What you will need:
Some 6 sided dice.
Friends.
A dark evening (with few lights).
Alcohol.
A number of separate (sound proof) rooms.

I will run you through a game of it we played so you can get an idea for it. Firstly I told them nothing about it before hand apart from making it clear that you can and will die, and that the Aliens are better than you. It went something like this.

1) We played our normal game (Rifts).

2) We ate, drank, got very drunk until it's was late and dark.

3) I gave everyone their character sheets with their name, their occupation, their backstory. They didn't get to choose their characters.

4) I then gave each one a envelope which I told them was secret and not to be discussed.

Each envelope had a sheet of paper with their super secret secret on it. For example a Marine's secret could be that he was paid big bucks by a corporation to get everyone on board impregnated.

Mine were:

"Noel," Marine, undercover agent secretly trying to find the guy amongst them that is trying to recover alien samples (via human hosts) for a big evil company. (Note: This person does not exist)

"Dave" the other marines's secret was that he was addicted to Narcs, and had to find excuses to leave the group and shoot up every twenty minutes (real time). If he gets found out, he will be chucked out of the army, and lose his insurance privledges which he needs to pay for his sisters cancer treatments.

"Andy's" (pilot) secret was that he was a Xenomorph cult nut and want to throw himself to an alien at the first opportunity so that he would go to heaven.

"Paul" (civilain) had no real secret. (None that I can remember at least).

You had 4 main stats: Physical, Guns, Mental and Adrenaline. and a certain amount of dice to split amongst them. (It was based on the Starwars RPG - you will have to fill the blanks yourself if your actually interested). The more dice the better you did - but for a guide, a marine might have 4 dice in physical - an alien had 10 (rolled in front of them to scare 'em). One crucial difference is, the more they roleplayed being scared - the more adrenaline dice I gave them to add to their dice rolls. But if they calmed down, or went over the top, I took them back.

Basically, I threw out all the standards of our game sessions. If you characters separated in the game they had to be separated in real life. If you died - you died (But could follow me around and listen to the separate groups).

The alcohol, the strangeness of the setting and the paranoia really got to them, and 2 of them got really fucked up by it.

It was a lot of fun.

In the end the two marines got so frustrated with each other (as Dave kept leaving) that Noel followed him (literally out of the room), saw him with the Narcs, jumped to conclusions killed him, then tried to hide it from the rest of the group saying an alien attacked.

Later the cult member wandered off (looking for alien corpse to see if he could kill himself with it's blood) found the dead body stuffed in a crate - assumed Noel was a traitor and tried to convince Paul of what happened.

Paul was drunk and paranoid didn't believe him and sided with Noel the marine instead. They then decided to chuck the cult guy in with the aliens (who were locked in a room).

The look on their faces when he ran at the aliens cheering was awesome.

Obviously neither had the technical skills to properly lock the door afterwards and both got killed by the aliens a few moments later.

poirot1vi.gif
Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
Lave on

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    This sounds fun, although I don't quite understand the bit about soundproof rooms.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    This is pretty cool, but I'm not sure I understand the physical mechanics of separating them in different rooms.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2006
    that's fucking glorious.

I think the soundproof rooms were so that the DM and the player could go off and converse without the other members becoming wise.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited September 2006
    Yeah, just different rooms of your house is fine. I was just trying to make it clear that you had to physically stand up and go next door when people separated in the game.

It's also fun to watch how quickly your friends will separate despite shouting at people in horror movies all their life for doing just that.

At one point I had people in three different rooms, sitting in the dark and had to keep running between them. It really began to freak them out.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A friend of mine tried to make up a Highlander RPG (back before one was actually licesned). The problem with this was that the person writing the rules had no idea how statistics worked, and he was horribly dyslexic.

So the bonuses for things were either really huge or so minor that they didn't make any sense, and you ended up with drawbacks like "Cheep Sord" and "Pore," meaning no money.

We never got around to playtesting it, because the rest of us were too busy picking ourselves off the floor from laughing too hard when we read the rule book.

Which was all of three pages long.

Pkmoutl on