As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Old VIDEO GAME RPG thread is dead. Long live the new VIDEO GAME RPG thread!

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I have played Seiken Densetsu 3 via ENTIRELY LEGITIMATE MEANS

and I would have to say that the fact it was never brought here is a goddamn travesty

aside from being arguably the best-looking game on the SNES, it's also a goddamn blast, has even better music than Secret of Mana, and has more replayability than almost every other JRPG I've played

if people in the US were aware of it, I think it would seriously be a contender for best 16-bit JRPG

terranigma :(

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Tried to get into SD3 no less than 5 times and failed each time. I don't really like all the choices in characters given to me, crazy as that sounds.

Pick Kevin, Riesz, and Hawk and just go to town.

yeah that's the party I beat the game with the first time

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    I have played Seiken Densetsu 3 via ENTIRELY LEGITIMATE MEANS

and I would have to say that the fact it was never brought here is a goddamn travesty

aside from being arguably the best-looking game on the SNES, it's also a goddamn blast, has even better music than Secret of Mana, and has more replayability than almost every other JRPG I've played

if people in the US were aware of it, I think it would seriously be a contender for best 16-bit JRPG

terranigma :(

yeah that's another one that really should have been released here but it has a lot of problems

the bossfights start to get really ludicrously hard, the magic system is ass, and it frontloads basically all of the mechanics so actually playing the game starts to get really boring

but it had fantastic music and one of the most compelling plots of that generation

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Xillia opening is sort of weird, disjointed and abrupt. I get the feeling you're not actually supposed to start your first game playing as Milla. Well, fuck that. Your opposite number is just about the most generic JRPG protagonist imaginable (so far) and I'll be damned if I pick him first.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    didn't the first xillia game get rushed or something?

also fuck I loved terranigma, never finished it though. don't have the means to legally finish it or SD3 either : (

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    By the way did any amazing jrpg come out for the ps3? It has been a long while since I've played one
    The last one I can remember playing was Resonance of Fate

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    N
    Peas wrote: »
    By the way did any amazing jrpg come out for the ps3? It has been a long while since I've played one

Ni No Kuni, for sure. Studio ghibli rpg

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    tales of xillia just came out domestically for ps3, I think

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    lostwords wrote: »
    N
    Peas wrote: »

Ni No Kuni, for sure. Studio ghibli rpg

Quoting this because it is likely the best JRPG on the PS3. Don't be fooled by the graphics into thinking it's aimed at kids, it's a serious and fantastic game.

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    I'm replaying Ni No Kuni. It's my favorite jrpg since like FFX and one of the very few that doesn't completely frustrate me. More peeps should play it.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I recently picked up Ni No Kuni.

It's amazing.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Terranigma is great and it's a great loss we never got it (although hey, Europe didn't get much in those days so give them that)

but I feel its notability in absence kind of overshadows how Illusion of Gaia was really the best one of those games.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Also, started replaying Symphonia (which I got to the very end of back in the day but never actually finished, just left my save at the last save point and never touched it again)

Holds up pretty well! Although I'm slowly realizing I can't fucking stand Heather Hogan in that game. Looking forward to
    Colette losing her voice

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Ni No Kuni is amazing looking and that's it. I found it very boring and the bad companion AI made battles harder than they should have been.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Expounding on PS3 jrpgs, which exclusive ones are worth playing? I've been putting them an Amazon wish list for when I get a PS3. So far I have the following, and I'm not even sure if all of them are even RPGs:

3 different Atelier games
    Both Tales games
    Ni No Kuni
    Both Disgaea games
    Both White Knight Chronicles

Is there anything I'm missing besides Valkyria Chronicles which I don't really want after playing the second one?

• Options
    edited August 2013
    FFXIII, XIII-2, Nier, Eternal Sonata, Star Ocean: The Last Hope

On PSN: Rain-slick

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls sort of count as jurps in the broadest term. Same with Dragon's Crown.

Catherine is part of a jurp series even though it is not itself a jurp, same with Persona 4 Arena

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    Terranigma is great and it's a great loss we never got it (although hey, Europe didn't get much in those days so give them that)

but I feel its notability in absence kind of overshadows how Illusion of Gaia was really the best one of those games.

Illusion of Gaia was fun but it's so linear and the plot is really skeletal

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I wish i had a ps3 to play xillia, looks good

instead I am playing trails in the sky because i found a copy, p good so far

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Do not play Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Do not play Star Ocean: The Last Hope

or XIII or XIII-2, for that matter. But at least those two are functional games. Star Ocean can't make that claim.

Nier is good though.

• Options
    I make no statement as to game quality, I was only listing JRPGs that are on PS3.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    also how long is tits and is it good

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    FFXIII, XIII-2, Nier, Eternal Sonata, Star Ocean: The Last Hope

On PSN: Rain-slick

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls sort of count as jurps in the broadest term. Same with Dragon's Crown.

Catherine is part of a jurp series even though it is not itself a jurp, same with Persona 4 Arena

I played all the ones that are on the 360 as well. I did forget to list Demon's Souls, but I'm not planning on ever playing that anyway.

The PA games I'll probably just get on Steam eventually. I watched a Catherine LP, and while it does look interesting it's not something I'd actually want to play that much.

Oh, and there's also the FFX/X-2 HD thing that's coming out eventually. Probably pick that up at some point even though from what I've heard it was just upscaled graphics and little else. Though that could have changed I suppose.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I think they're touching up the music, too.

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    I remember reading that it will have all the international whatever edition stuff, too.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
  • Options
    Tales of Symphonia is one of my favorite JRPGs. Its plot and its cast of characters are all super clichéd, but feel lovingly written all the same. The writers seemed to know what they were doing, but there arent really any ironic or subversive elements. Having any would have felt distinctly out of place. Its a game filled with jrpg tropes that are nonetheless a lot fun.

• Options
    But... there are. The whole point is that the tropes are subverted right at the middle point of the story.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Schide wrote: »
    Expounding on PS3 jrpgs, which exclusive ones are worth playing? I've been putting them an Amazon wish list for when I get a PS3. So far I have the following, and I'm not even sure if all of them are even RPGs:

Both Tales games
    Ni No Kuni
    Both Disgaea games

Is there anything I'm missing besides Valkyria Chronicles which I don't really want after playing the second one?

If you do get White Knight Chronicles, just get the second one as it also comes with the first game.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    But... there are. The whole point is that the tropes are subverted right at the middle point of the story.

Not really for a jrpg, no. Multiple worlds? Unbeatable bosses? Inevitable betrayal?

Those are all jrpg tropes. And the last one is a Tales standard. Pretty sure you've been betrayed by a party member in literally every Tales game.

• Options
    Schide wrote: »

Both Tales games
    Ni No Kuni
    Both Disgaea games

If you do get White Knight Chronicles, just get the second one as it also comes with the first game.

Oh yeah? Thanks! I don't think I would have known that if you wouldn't have mentioned it.

• Options

Not really for a jrpg, no. Multiple worlds? Unbeatable bosses? Inevitable betrayal?

Those are all jrpg tropes. And the last one is a Tales standard. Pretty sure you've been betrayed by a party member in literally every Tales game.

The part where
    the entire quest up to that point has actually been a Bad Thing and the angels are actually bad guys. It subverts the typical hero's journey because it turns out that every single thing your party does fucks everything up and after a certain point all you can do is fix your own mistakes.

I just restarted the game and it's been a long time so I'm a little fuzzy on the details but I remember thinking it was a really clever plot 9 years ago.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I remember thinking Lloyd was clever as fuck with that hot/cold coffee thing

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Ok, Dragon Book Fantasy... Should I buy it for my Vita.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Tales of Symphonia had a bunch of generic jrpg themes laced in, sure, but the writing was very well done

and then they sorta blow the lid off the story and everything is whoa

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The best JRPGs I've played on the PS3 are, in no particular order, Resonance of Fate, Wizardry, Tokyo Jungle, and Nier.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I love Nier. Wish it didn't get such a bad rap.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I love Nier. Wish it didn't get such a bad rap.

the fucking feels in that game

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    So

finally getting back into playing Xenoblade after switching over to my Wii U and losing my 12 hour or so save. About 10 hours in so far, just finished up the ether mines under colony 6.

Do.. people usually play as anyone other than Shulk? I'm liking playing as him, and think I might stick with him, Reyn and Sharla

They all work so well together. Though I guess I haven't really tried any of the other characters yet.

Also I still barely understand the skill system.

Like, you can choose which path to get xp in, and unlock the skills as you go, but then you can use coins to select a skill from another character to use on that character?

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Ni No Kuni is amazing looking and that's it. I found it very boring and the bad companion AI made battles harder than they should have been.

I need to sit down and play this one also. I kept hearing how amazing it was, and bought it soon after launch.

Super pretty, had been looking forward to it for years. But a little while after I bought it people started getting into the later stages of the game where it gets grindy as all get out. Don't know if I'm ever gonna have the time or attention span for that.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus