As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lets Kill Some Kerbals

MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
0AADE0532034435C59DBBA30A3D5362036E01836

Here is the first Kerbal Space station. Pilots used it for docking practice until someone had the bright idea to get rid of all that extra RCS fuel by dumping it out into space.

A4C146D034D7AAC3205AD7E42A1FE39DAA53D350

Hey, yeah, the station feels lighter and more nimble already.

09FE515D5043168546CF4AC28DEFF99AC231EA26

Shit, wait, how high do we have to be to stay out of the atmosphere?

• Options
    edited August 2013
    AFCABC40D0EF1FAD2BC82BE05AD1BA408201E081

Hm. Yeah. This might be an issue.

6E1C7E99CD6411B794D1FCCF6D5CCE1376915EC3

Guys I just got off the horn with mission control. They said we'll be okay as long as the solar panels don't break off.

DF5F4F18F4171554E519FDA8389F8BC730EE5659

Fuck. Well what's plan B?

3627CBA25FAFF08891502517E1CD44E1AB602005

We don't know. We never got Plan A to work. On the plus side, the fires went out. Try using the RCS to-

52BF928A64759AD1B5032FE7FA5F9D4CD2B5E198

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    just bought this today, desperately lost and confuse send help

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options

Here, watch all of this guy's videos:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxzC4EngIsMrPmbm6Nxvb-A

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular

Hi, SCREECH OF THE FARG

watch this video if you haven't. It really set me on the right path for messing around.

Kerbal Space Program 101 - Tutorial For Beginners - Construction, Piloting, Orbiting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgPr4q5tj-Q

I appreciate you making a thread Metalbourne!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    I certainly need that beginner's guide

But then that might eliminate opportunities for accidentally and hilariously exploding things

• Options
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    I certainly need that beginner's guide

But then that might eliminate opportunities for accidentally and hilariously exploding things

hahahhaaha

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I still need to try modules to make a even orbit

after that I think I'll be well-prepared enough to land on a thing.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    At a certain point, you might run out of interesting things to do in KSP, so I was thinking we might post our projects for fellow rocket scientists to take a crack at.

Want to get that all purpose, janky monstrosity to the mun? Post a ship file!
    Want to see that all purpose, janky monstrosity make it to orbit. Post a ship file!
    Want to see that all purpose, janky monstrosity make it to 50k, before exploding? Post a ship file!
    Progress is Progress! Anyone know of a simple, fast, and easy file host?

As for further help, I've found this parts wiki to be really useful!
    There were a lot of objects with functions that I didn't really understand until I looked them up.

It also has a page with some formulas and written tutorials. If those stress you out, you can always just slap more rockets and struts on your creation and give it another go!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    hulloooo, Scott Manley is a fantastic source of info and inspiration on Kerbal.

I built a gas station on Minmus! Three vehicles: a kethane harvester, a converter, and a storage tank/porch for the attendants to sit 'round when business is slow. A gas "truck" orbits the moon for anything too big to land. On to Duna, now.

GbU5F4N.jpg

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Is there a mod that you're using that actually lets you harvest fuel?

I could barely get my probe to an orbit around Duna, an actual refueling station would be incredibly helpful.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    yes: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/23979-Kethane-Pack-0-7-5-Find-it-mine-it-burn-it!-Quicksave-support-and-other-fixes

You can scan for "Kethane" deposits from orbit and use harvesting units to collect the stuff. It can be converted to monopropellant, fuel, oxidizer, xenon, etc. etc.

I'm also using a mod that implements winches. You can stick electromagnets, grappling hooks, and docking ports on them, and kerbals can carry them around on EVAs. REALLY handy.

Machwing on
    l3icwZV.png
  • Options
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    The Kerbal Space Program is actually the last of the Kerbals. They've already killed the rest.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    ManishtushuManishtushu Registered User regular
    I've been trying to build a space station for the last month but the closest I have managed is getting two parts melding into one super-useful explosion.

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Oh man I did it, I landed on the Mun!
    caxrwgP.jpg

The altimeter tricked me into thinking I still had a few thousand metres to go, but I guess I was landing on a mountain above Mun "sea" level. So my fuel management wasn't great, and ran out EXACTLY as I was about 5 metres above the surface, causing a final, tiny plunge which exploded the engine. But the rest of the craft remained intact.

Jeb lives on, alone, awaiting rescue.

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    i've landed (crashed) on the moon like three times, with survivors even.

ship can never make the trip back though.

I'm always coming down to fast, and when I try to slow down end up flying up again haven't figured out how to do a proper landing yet.

• Options
    Yeah I just use mechjeb if I want to come back from any place I've landed

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    The Kerbal Space Program is actually the last of the Kerbals. They've already killed the rest.

And I do a damn fine job of thinning out what is left

• Options
    I have a bunch of hot wheels on the Mun and other planets
    Not Eve that fucking planet refuses to let anything drive on it

• Options
    I woke up wanting to play kerbal and dock some ships together.

It's gonna be a long day at work for me.

• Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

How do you put them on rockets? I want to do rover missions before actual kerbal landings. DO you just glue a rover on the top of a rocket and call it a day, or is there a fancy way of doing it?

• Options
    M.D. wrote: »

How do you put them on rockets? I want to do rover missions before actual kerbal landings. DO you just glue a rover on the top of a rocket and call it a day, or is there a fancy way of doing it?

http://youtu.be/WGrCm9aWHIY

• Options
    M.D. wrote: »

I slap it on the front of the rocket and drive it there

8A09C701C2D5F01A44408D82BCB993270A29121E

00E574129CA150E100B0D5495B3D5C761E3582B9

I only wish the cars I built in the air plane hanger I could port over and use in the rocket building

• Options
    Unfortunately, Wernher van Kerman was running his newest (almost certainly fatally flawed) designes out to the VAB from his offices and tripped over a power cable in the Tracking Station.

The KSP has lost contact with all of its probes and vehicles. While several memorial sites have been located, every ship and probe under our control is now functionally inoperative and lost to us forever. Two brave astronauts remain aboard the KISS, but as we have no idea where the KISS is, we are unable to launch a rescue mission.

A new redundancy has been built into the Tracking Station to prevent further such losses of connectivity: Wernher van Kerman has been confined indefinitely to his offices.

I broke all my flights reinstalling mods. I had a bunch of part packs that were doing nothing but take up space in the loading sequence.

• Options
    Hey lets send some junk to Jool's moon Laythe Part I

B18B2A661699254DD1AE19AE6176B3E74D90853C

As soon as the project was announced, The Probulator was cobbled together from the finest trash and rolled out to the launch pad. A month and a half early.

342C3FBF9585FE02761C59E8EBCE81A9AAF6AFF3

The ship sat on the launch pad exposed to the elements

2A552A9337F5FD94D02B850A8AFC969B09859375

Launch! Two families of birds that made their nests in the engines were quickly incinerated. A third family thought they were much smarter and made a nest in the antenna array. They asphyxiated in the upper atmosphere.

All appears well so far. As soon as we reach apoapsis, we'll burn again to circularize the orbit.

4DA66824E500BAF66503399404742C625746A230

Set a course, ensign fuckstick!

6BE95BC5B097D86A3898F142DA9AF7B44EB98D85

so when you set the course, did you account for the planet in the way or is that just all part of your cunning plan?

04B09B2B748056DBF523580ED9A627EC788BB0EC

By slingshotting between these planets at breakneck speed we'll get some kind of boost! Fuck that closest approach bullshit, we're going for a full-on capture here!

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Ensign Fuckstick hasn't been promoted, yet? That poor fucker.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Your Kerbals are going to end up back in time, where they can save all the whales before they were killed for whale oil rocket fuel.

It wasn't a very good fuel choice, but you know how those Kerbals love to experiment.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    so this looks super duper fun, but i know how i am with games like this, and i know i will get frustrated 2 hours in and probably never touch it again

if i can ever get it for ~$10 i'll pull the trigger and spend a night drunkenly blowing up little mans and consider it worthwhile

and watch videos of people who know what the fuck they're doing

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    This game can be frustrating as hell

but when you pull off that orbital base or landing on another planet (or even just making a stable orbit!) it is so worth it

Try not to get overly frustrated when your shit blows up, because it will

oh it will

learn and adjust your designs, add more struts

add more struts

and learn from your mistakes

Al_wat on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Everything you need to know about Kerbal Space Program (or "obviously it needs more random shit on it")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkzziGlbK1s

Ledneh on
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    this is a game I wish I owned, it is amazing.

I've been watching this guys:http://www.youtube.com/user/kurtjmac playthrough since the beginning.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I've played some of this game!

It's stupid complicated!

But I sent a kerbal into space and returned him safely to the surface! So there's that!

Next stop: the Mun

(I also don't want to install too many mods because that feels like cheating)

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I go modless

it's sort of a general thing for me

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    I made it to the Mun but it was a one way trip

And now I am being frustrated by building a ship that has enough fuel in its last stage to land on the moon and then get away. All of that fuel sits up top and makes for some wobbly-ass takeoffs, and a lot of work to get a decent orbit going.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    also the Giant Bomb quicklook for this game is easily one of the funniest things on the site

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cVkLmVnsH8

• Options
    ManishtushuManishtushu Registered User regular
    The biggest problem I have with my designs is shit just vibrating apart before it even gets to the launch pad.

• Options
    AutYSU2.jpg

Hm, a launch during the eclipse. That's a good omen, right?
    2woCZo4.jpg

CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    THE OMENS WERE RIGHT! LEFT IS RIGHT, UP IS DOWN! WHY DIDN'T WE LISTEN?!

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I've played some of this game!

It's stupid complicated!

But I sent a kerbal into space and returned him safely to the surface! So there's that!

Next stop: the Mun

(I also don't want to install too many mods because that feels like cheating)

Get flight engineer and kerbal alarm clock. Both these mods give you vital information about the game without actually doing anything for you. Alarm clock will become vital when you have multiple flights going on and you want to feel like a real mission control.

• Options
    I think that unused building in the new space center is going to be a mission control