As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pikmin 3: No one man should have all that flower.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    It's probably the controls. I've been using the wiimote the entire time and I haven't had any issues with bosses. I think I only lost 7 to the 3rd boss and 2 to the 4th.

5th boss was an asshole though. Once I figured out everything he does it wasn't so bad. But oh so many dead pikmin figuring that out.

this seems like the answer. targeting individual areas is tough. good excuse to get a shiny new wiimote and nunchuck. maybe the blue one

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    H0b0man wrote: »
    It's probably the controls. I've been using the wiimote the entire time and I haven't had any issues with bosses. I think I only lost 7 to the 3rd boss and 2 to the 4th.

5th boss was an asshole though. Once I figured out everything he does it wasn't so bad. But oh so many dead pikmin figuring that out.

this seems like the answer. targeting individual areas is tough. good excuse to get a shiny new wiimote and nunchuck. maybe the blue one

I wish there was a control setup closer to the one in the Pikmin game in Nintendo Land.

That scheme was great for tapping the pad to target specific points.

So far, Wiimote+nunchuk has been just worlds better for controlling this game. Took some getting used to after about 30+ game days with the pad but set the pad in your lap for the map and it works great. Took down a boss in one day that had given me fits with the pad.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Yup, I'm loving using the remote/nunchuck with the gamepad on the coffee table in front of me.

This game has me mesmerized...it's so pretty.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Yup, I'm loving using the remote/nunchuck with the gamepad on the coffee table in front of me.

Are you me?!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Are you me?!

I just remembered that I could take pictures today...that may pose a problem because I'm wanting to take pictures of everything that looks interesting to me.

You guys might see lots of miiverse photos by me. :(

PSN - Brainiac_8
      Add me!
    • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
      I might have changed the title.

YL9WnCY.png
    • sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
      I'm on what I assume is the final level and I'm very much enjoying the game despite it's flaws. I love all of the main characters, they're just so damn quirky and adorable, especially Brittany. Each level is varied and a lot of fun, I just wish there were more than 4 places to really explore. Despite their size it just doesn't feel like enough. I'm also not that big of a fan of the new control scheme. I miss the swarming, and swapping between different pikmim is a pain in the ass during hectic moments.

Also, I find it somewhat annoying that other than Nintendo Land, Nintendo really hasn't found a lot of uses for the touchscreen that they based their whole damn system around. There will probably be some uses for it in the other modes but Jesus, you could at least find a use the touch screen in the main game other than a map and menu.

• KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
      edited August 2013
      I finished it this evening. I've spent 14 hours with the game and I've got 15 or so fruit left.

Upon completion it shows a global ranking for how long it's taken to collect all the fruit. Some of those times are mind boggling!
      10 days?!?!?!

I'm happy with the game length. It didn't overstay its welcome. I felt by the end I'd seen most of the tricks for each type. The last area and the final boss are centered around using the right type for the right job. So the whole thing felt complete.

There's more content in the mission mode for those who want it.

I suspect I'll at least grab those last fruit (since each is a little mini puzzle or monster fight) before I switch to another game.

Kriegaffe on
    • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
      Rorus Raz wrote: »

You might have, or you did!?

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
      I noticed that if I'm running out of time I forgo trying to get fruit and stuff and I spend the rest of the time trying to finish bridges and stuff so that when I come back I can safely move ahead without having to worry about it.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
      urahonky wrote: »
      I noticed that if I'm running out of time I forgo trying to get fruit and stuff and I spend the rest of the time trying to finish bridges and stuff so that when I come back I can safely move ahead without having to worry about it.

Same here. Especially in the third area when you send Pikmin digging down a hole and they pull out like 47 bridge pieces. Got to that and started digging seconds before the "hurry up!" message... I was yelling at the screen hoping the little bastards would go faster.

No fruit that day, but the massive fruit harvest on the next day (don't know if you remember, but you have to pass up a LOT to build that bridge back to the ship) was so satisfying.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293

You didn't send your army of Pikmin to change the title for you?

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
      edited August 2013

YOU GOOSE!
      It's a better title though.

Ov3rcharge on
      Ov3rcharge wrote: »

YOU GOOSE!
      It's a better title though.

They need some DLC to give Alph some Kanye-style striped sunglasses.

Also, this game is hilarious! I laughed out loud when Charlie explained why he always chooses to throw Alph...
      Because you should never throw away the things you love :)

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
      It's dawning on me that I might be terrible at this game. I'm on like day 20 and still haven't rescued the captain.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
      It's dawning on me that I might be terrible at this game. I'm on like day 20 and still haven't rescued the captain.

Don't worry, I'm not much better. I'm at day 40 and I'm pretty sure I'm about 15 - 20 days behind where I should be. Luckily I've plenty of time left.

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
      Just beat it on day 42 with all the fruit.

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
      edited August 2013
      I do like that you can use the map to plan ahead before you land. The map on the extra screen really helps allot to get your bearings.

I do get annoyed that Giant Bomb looks down their noses at the WiiU.

Krathoon on
    • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
      Maybe Nintendo shouldn't have dropped the ball completely with the Wii U.

YL9WnCY.png

Three things...

1. The Wii U is selling terribly.

2. As a Wii U owner, I think it's an awesome system and Pikmin 3 is a great game.

3. A review site that's gonna harp on about the Wi U being a failure is gonna lose me as a reader.

There's a time and place for discussing the industry side of things. But if they are reviewing a game, then just review the damn game.

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
      Giant Bomb is more entertainment than informational.

• MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
      edited August 2013
      Kriegaffe wrote: »

Three things...

1. The Wii U is selling terribly.

2. As a Wii U owner, I think it's an awesome system and Pikmin 3 is a great game.

3. A review site that's gonna harp on about the Wi U being a failure is gonna lose me as a reader.

There's a time and place for discussing the industry side of things. But if they are reviewing a game, then just review the damn game.

Yeah I had the same feeling when PAR's review had the title "Pikmin 3 won’t save the Wii U, but it’s fun, beautiful, whimsical, and overwhelmingly pleasant". I could only think, "Who cares if it "saves" the Wii U? How was the game?"

No individual game is going to help the system, but a lot of great titles will. And in the meantime even if the system never does amazingly it's probably the most fun I've had with a console in a loooong time, while also managing to be exactly the right kind of system for my household.

Mblackwell on
      Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

I agree, this system has been my favorite console since N64.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
        The Wii U has been out less than a year, so many (most?) people reading reviews of Wii U games don't actually own a Wii U yet. It hardly seems strange to bring up the state of the Wii U.

"The game is good but not 'worth owning the console' good" seems like relevant information to include in reviews for games on any new console.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
        If history is any indicator, most console launches are lucky to get 3-4 "system seller" titles released in the first year of being out. Most of the time, these games are rushed to be out for launch or just simple ports from the prior gen with a fresh coat of paint. Even the games that are new and innovative are much better with the release of the sequel, giving the developers time to improve on the game and system specs.

My point is, the Wii U isn't even a year old yet. People are certainly within their rights to write it off as dead, hell maybe they're right, but I personally think it's way too early to say things like that. This is especially true when you're talking about a company with the most amount of recognizable kid-friendly franchises, a loyal fanbase, and tons of cash.

Of course I'm preaching to the choir here. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
        Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
        Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
        Steam ID
        Twitch Page
        Hallelujah!

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
          MNC Dover wrote: »

Of course I'm preaching to the choir here. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXN1yxax448

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
        • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
          Man, if you really want a good laugh at doom and gloom articles, take 5 minutes and search for 1st year game releases on every stupidly successful console since the 32-bit era. There is a metric ton of laughably bad games and you can see THE TITLE that puts the system into second gear. Ironically enough, these games are usually hitting around the end of year one.

Is Pikmin that game for the Wii U? Probably not, but it will certainly bring some fruits to a very malnourished library. I foresee the future success of the system to be not in the "OMG, gotta have that game!" but rather the "finally there are enough good games I'd like to buy." A fucking price drop wouldn't hurt either though.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
          Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
          Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
          Steam ID
          Twitch Page
          Stupid sandworm...so many deaths...so much screaming. :(

PSN - Brainiac_8
          Add me!
        • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
          Don't we have Wii U thread for talking about how poorly the Wii U is doing?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
          Don't we have Wii U thread for talking about how poorly the Wii U is doing?

As well as the Industry Thread.

And GameFAQs. And Neogaf. And the rest of the internet.

Nintendo Console Codes
          PM Me if you add me!
          HAIL HYDRA
          So we're like Lt. Dan in Forrest Gump having fun in the hurricane?

Collected all the fruit. The last piece was a bit frustrating but finally figured the right way to toss the yellow pikmin up and onto the trampoline thingy.

Now to finish the game. Gave it a go the other day but didn't have all the pikmin types I needed or nearly enough. Don't think I even need all the types actually.

Collected all the fruit. The last piece was a bit frustrating but finally figured the right way to toss the yellow pikmin up and onto the trampoline thingy.

Now to finish the game. Gave it a go the other day but didn't have all the pikmin types I needed or nearly enough. Don't think I even need all the types actually.

Dah I know exactly where you are meaning!

edited August 2013
              Finished. Clear time of 9 hours. 55 game days. Got all the fruit. Lost 1116 Pikmin...!! Holy shit.

My next play through, now that I know what to expect in all the areas, I will attempt to lower that number. Maybe a quarter of that lost. Poor Pikmans

Mulletude on
              Finished. Clear time of 9 hours. 55 game days. Got all the fruit. Lost 1116 Pikmin...!! Holy shit.

My next play through, now that I know what to expect in all the areas, I will attempt to lower that number. Maybe a quarter of that lost. Poor Pikmans

Wow, 9 hours? I'm at 15 and not finished.

Nintendo Console Codes
              PM Me if you add me!
              HAIL HYDRA
              And now Mission mode...This is pretty awesome in its own right. And it's coop playable? Fucking awesome. My daughter loves the pikmans game in Nintendoland. Perfect.