As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Roleplaying Games] Play Everything, Only GM the Games You Want To

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Having missed the Kickstarter, am I even able to buy Torchbearer currently or is it still not finished?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Having missed the Kickstarter, am I even able to buy Torchbearer currently or is it still not finished?

PDF can be bought here:

http://www.burningwheel.com/store/index.php/torchbearer-pdf.html

• Options
    Brilliant, thanks. There isn't actually a link to to it on the store anywhere. If you don't have the direct URL you'd never know.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2013
    Brilliant, thanks. There isn't actually a link to to it on the store anywhere. If you don't have the direct URL you'd never know.

Yep! Not sure if that's intentional or if they haven't got around to updating the BW store, but I had to pull that frm my KS account.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Kickstarter, my copy of 13th Age arrived Monday. It's so pretty.

I'd forgotten I even claimed a physical copy from the KS, it'd been so long.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Although things like the escalation dice make my inner simulationist tremble in fear I am tempted to buy a copy of 13th Age just to "borrow" ideas from it.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Although things like the escalation dice make my inner simulationist tremble in fear I am tempted to buy a copy of 13th Age just to "borrow" ideas from it.

This is highly encouraged! Do eeeeeet.

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    The escalation die is somewhat easy to ignore: don't use it, drop the monsters' defenses by 1 (they are balanced assuming that PCs have a better chance of hitting as time goes on), and reword the odd PC/monster ability that relies on the current escalation die to instead speak in N+1 rounds.

I think it's a really nifty little thing, though, and you could probably find a simulationist justification for it if you really needed to.

Also, yeah, the book has lots of good ideas to lift, and even acknowledges that early on --- it's happy being plundered.

bss on
    3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    My 13th Age character, Mitch (Cleric), totally digs the Escalation die.

Every turn, he rolls a die, and if it's less than the current Escalation die, then he gets an extra standard action.

He can get a glimpse of the near future sometimes, in battle, that saves a comrade from being hit. How far into the future? Roll a d6, and when the Escalation die reaches that level, the time has come.

So, there's plenty of ways that it can be extended beyond its basic uses, if you're so inclined. :)

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Jebus Krastos

WTF is that action economy?

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    bss wrote: »
    The escalation die is somewhat easy to ignore: don't use it, drop the monsters' defenses by 1 (they are balanced assuming that PCs have a better chance of hitting as time goes on), and reword the odd PC/monster ability that relies on the current escalation die to instead speak in N+1 rounds.

I think it's a really nifty little thing, though, and you could probably find a simulationist justification for it if you really needed to.

Also, yeah, the book has lots of good ideas to lift, and even acknowledges that early on --- it's happy being plundered.

"At the start of any battle, things are pretty chaotic and nobody's in the rhythm of the fight. As the fight goes on, though, you'll start to get in the swing of things, and also you'll begin to notice your enemy's patterns, habits and weaknesses."

Boom, enjoy your simulationist escalation die.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Or "as the fight wears on, the exertion of battle takes its toll and your enemies are less able to dodge and weave away from your blows."

There's any number of reasons for battles getting more deadly as they go.

But extra Standard actions is crazypants. In any system where something requires a Standard action, it ought to do so for a reason. Getting more than one per turn is absurd unless there's some major restriction on it, and even then it's massively better than basically anything I can name in something like 4E.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Or "as the fight wears on, the exertion of battle takes its toll and your enemies are less able to dodge and weave away from your blows."

There's any number of reasons for battles getting more deadly as they go.

But extra Standard actions is crazypants. In any system where something requires a Standard action, it ought to do so for a reason. Getting more than one per turn is absurd unless there's some major restriction on it, and even then it's massively better than basically anything I can name in something like 4E.

The escalation die is always a d6, that increases by one per turn. But every time his Cleric gets that free action, he steps up the dice he is rolling. So if he gets two standard actions, he is rolling a d10 and trying to get less than the escalation dice. And if we slacken off the pace, or don't engage the enemy, the escalation dice might reset.

But 13th Age is full of overpowered powers, to be honest. If 4e characters are superheroes compared to AD&D, WE ARE GODS. My Rogue doesn't Stealth around the battle - he disappears from play entirely and then appears next turn somewhere nearby and does double damage. So he's doing that thing Batman does to Commissioner Gordon,

I don't know the other power - is that Strength Domain?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    poshniallo wrote: »
    But 13th Age is full of overpowered powers, to be honest. If 4e characters are superheroes compared to AD&D, WE ARE GODS. My Rogue doesn't Stealth around the battle - he disappears from play entirely and then appears next turn somewhere nearby and does double damage. So he's doing that thing Batman does to Commissioner Gordon,

Yeah, there's a fair amount of "4e, but turned up a little bit" to the system in general. Little tricks here and there in the corners of the system that they didn't mess with. Another example of "what... what?" is the barbarian's rage, which makes all attack rolls work like the avenger's oath --- roll 2d20 and pick the one you want. Except also that if you roll 11+ on both and hit, it's a crit (so you are critting 25+standard crit range% of the time, basically).

Misrecollection of Knowledge/Lore Domain, I think --- it grants an ally a reroll, after the escalation die value is reached.

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    13th Age is like "Hey remember how everyone loved the Paragon Tier of 4e? So do we. So we turned up the volume to 11. No pun intended."

But it's flexible and hilarious in all the right ways. For instance, my character hates a lot. So I have no doubt @bss will deliver an endless array of magical items that make him shiny and happy.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Oh yah, if you have the "only wizards should be able to do insane shit" attitude, 13th Age is definitely not for you. Every class can do some downright awesome crap starting at level one. What lvl 8 characters do to monsters will make weaker DMs cry.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Batman rogues sounds infinitely better than the pain in the ass that keeping track of stealth can become practically on a crowded battlefield.

Also the last few posts have broken my resistance. 13th Age ordered.

It's like my Birthday present to myself or something.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    I just got back from a business trip last night, encouraged by a call from my wife that a mysterious package had arrived at the door...it was my copy of 13th Age. I'm hoping this weekend to get some quiet time alone, light some scented candles, open up a nice bottle of wine and spend some time softly caressing the new rule set.

The book smells so fresh and wonderful, I can't wait.

• Options
    Oh yeah, just pretend I awesomed like all of the last dozen 13th Age posts. I'm hyped that you're all hyped!

• Options
    edited August 2013
    My copy of 13th Age is, apparently, in the air over the Pacific somewhere.

I have to say, I think they are going to sell me every single book for this game, and I'm going to pay happily. I already want the Bestiary and 13 True Ways.

DMing a one-shot of something on August 25th, as some of my D&D group are away on holiday, and it looks like probably 13th Age. I am so looking forward to it.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    LeperLeper Registered User regular
    My copy of 13th Age arrived at my home today!

It is currently sitting on my dining room table, unopened. Where it shall likely remain until I arrive at my home. >_<

If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I can't decide whether to run Trail or Call of Cthulhu.

• Options
    wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    bss wrote: »

Misrecollection of Knowledge/Lore Domain, I think --- it grants an ally a reroll, after the escalation die value is reached.

Yeah, that's how Knowledge read in an earlier pdf draft, sorry about that. I'm picking up my hard copy tomorrow, so that should reduce my confusion.

Strength domain still has a daily that lets me roll d20s for damage at epic, right? :)

• Options
    Invocation of Strength: This battle, you and your nearby allies deal triple damage instead of double damage on critical hits with melee attacks.

• Options
    13th Age is in the Air!

• Options
    Maybe it should get it's own thread at this point.

Just purely from a discussion density standpoint.

Because right now it's getting more posts than 4E or 5E, and those have their own threads.

• Options
    edited August 2013

Because right now it's getting more posts than 4E or 5E, and those have their own threads.

Maybe, but it just got released. It's the new hotness. I reckon if we separate it out then that thread will die too fast for it to have been worth splitting off.

Edit: When I said in the air, I meant literally not metaphorically. It's on it's way to me through airmail.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Man its like I've been welcomed to the promised land with all these new systems coming out. Playing Legend right now, just got the new Fate Core book, Torchbearer should be on its way soon, 13th age I would love to pick up, and I just backed Red Aegis on kickstarter, which looks pretty bad ass.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I am dismayed by the forum's seeming lack of interest in the Iron Kingdoms RPG. Revamped from its origins at a 3rd party D&D 3.5 setting, and building on the success of the Warmachine game, it uses what I think is a slick & easy rule system (coming from 3.5 anyway and even 4e). The art is fantastic.

The setting is full of swords, sorcery, guns and giant robots! Goblins with monacles and top hats! Steamboats! Magelock pistols! Dwarves with Orges serving as vassals! Dragons that enslave and corrupt elves! Elves that hate humanity for stealing the art of magic! Religious zealots who hate everybody! Steam powered armour!

Seriously, what's not to love?

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular

Maybe, but it just got released. It's the new hotness. I reckon if we separate it out then that thread will die too fast for it to have been worth splitting off.

Edit: When I said in the air, I meant literally not metaphorically. It's on it's way to me through airmail.

Do you have an air mailbox?

airmail_zps2cb7fb92.jpg
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    I am dismayed by the forum's seeming lack of interest in the Iron Kingdoms RPG. Revamped from its origins at a 3rd party D&D 3.5 setting, and building on the success of the Warmachine game, it uses what I think is a slick & easy rule system (coming from 3.5 anyway and even 4e). The art is fantastic.

The setting is full of swords, sorcery, guns and giant robots! Goblins with monacles and top hats! Steamboats! Magelock pistols! Dwarves with Orges serving as vassals! Dragons that enslave and corrupt elves! Elves that hate humanity for stealing the art of magic! Religious zealots who hate everybody! Steam powered armour!

Seriously, what's not to love?

I would love to play it, and someone had a game rolling around here a few months ago (not sure if it fizzed out or what). The setting I wasn't too sure about.

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I've been running a bi-weekly IKRPG game and it's been pretty cool.

Edit: We did have two games going, not congruently. The first game fizzled out after two weeks when the GM started to have real life issues. It had some promise but them's the brakes. The second game basically never even left the ground - the players kept trying to move it forward but the GM basically admitted to having zero commitment to regular posting.

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I really like IKRPG, but the other players around me weren't too impressed even though they like Warmachine. I think it just wasn't suited for the type of games our DM likes to run.

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    It's a month or two late, but this is great:

YFv2iwe.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I don't know who that is, but I'm not going to argue with a hippo.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    2358367104_0b59b3a930.jpg
    The Giff are a race of powerfully muscled, hippopotami mercenaries.

• Options
    edited August 2013

Nah, I do t think it merits it's own thread. In a few weeks, we'll be talking about Shadowrun and Torchbearer more.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

Nah, I do t think it merits it's own thread. In a few weeks, we'll be talking about Shadowrun and Torchbearer more.

why aren't we talking about them more right now?

also those two currently top my "want to run these" list

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »

why aren't we talking about them more right now?

also those two currently top my "want to run these" list

Probably because Torchbearer didn't have as successful of a KS. I'm actually doing an all day dungeon design thing tomorrow. It's proving a challenge to design a dungeon for a game you've never played.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Well 13th Age is getting buzz right now because the first wave of books are hitting backers/early adopters.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I can understand why people are so excited about 13th Age. Having read some of the rules it is definitely the spiritual successor to D&D4e, which is the favored system of this board. It's even more gamist than 4e, having a lot of risk/reward style mechanics. I think that's a good thing. I feel like this hobby sometimes has focused too much on the roleplaying and too little on the game aspect. By that I mean they've focused too much on simulation because it is supposed to increase immersion. I think that's bs, but to each their own. What I mean is it is a game, so the rules that govern it should be fun to play with. Give players some real decisions with their powers/abilities rather just picking the best one for the current situation. I also like some of the story gaming elements they've added, like the Icons and One Unique Thing.

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
This discussion has been closed.