As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE] Guide to basic Skills, Ship fitting, and general newbiness.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    L1's are best run in Frigate or higher
    L2 best run in Cruiser or higher
    L3 best in Battlecruiser or higher
    L4 best run in Battleship

For the lows, definately an Armor rep, a Damage Control, and then 2 active hardeners for best resists since you only have the 4 slots. Maybe swap the hardeners with an "Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane" and a big armor plate.
    For mids, maybe an afterburner and some cap boosters or cap rechargers to help with the armor repper.
    Definately fit some Rails in highs, you will need the extra damage in the L2 missions. Throw in a salvager too.

Having recently switched from Energized Plating / Resistance plating to the Active Hardeners, if you dont have cap issues, use the active hardeners.
    I know the Damage Control eats up a whole slot when you would rather put in something else, but it boosts shield resists and STRUCTURE resists to the point where once your armor is gone, you have 2x HP for structure after resists to give you time to warp out or occasionally finish off one more rat.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    MorturusMorturus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The problem with some of that is that I can't fit active hardeners, or rails, or a salvager. =)

I'll give it a try and see how quickly I die.

Morturus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Rails usually use the Small Hybrid Weapons or the Medium Hybrid weapons, which you will want if you are flying Gallente. And Energized Plating is fine until you get engineering high enough for the active hardeners.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rails usually use the Small Hybrid Weapons or the Medium Hybrid weapons, which you will want if you are flying Gallente. And Energized Plating is fine until you get engineering high enough for the active hardeners.

active hardeners require hull upgrades IV not engineering, and if you rolled gallente you will start with small hybrid turret to at least I. get it to III for medium rails.

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well, I have now purchased my Prophecy Battlecruiser, with my Battlecruiser 1 skill I purchase it and fly it back to my base of operations.....

I then wait until Battlecruiser FUCKING 4 so that I can shoot lasers for more than 5 minutes without killing my cap. And that doesnt even take into account trying to run Afterburner, Active Hardeners, or occassionaly an Armor Rep cycle.

Thats okay, my cruiser hasnt blown up so I can still fly that...or at least it hasnt blown up yet...its soo going to blow up now that I've said that.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    deadteardeadtear Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    5 minutes is usually way more than enough of pure shoot time?

deadtear on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Quick question: How does this tackling thing work? I think I understand it up to the point where you blow up your ship. I just can't figure out the purpose. So why are we blowing up ships? (ships we're piloting anyway, I think I know why we blow the other ones up :P)

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Zetx wrote: »
    Quick question: How does this tackling thing work? I think I understand it up to the point where you blow up your ship. I just can't figure out the purpose. So why are we blowing up ships? (ships we're piloting anyway, I think I know why we blow the other ones up :P)

The intention isnt for you to actually die, but if you do oh well so what you're in literally a throwaway ship.

deadtear on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So the fact that the Gallente are a liberal democracy and heavy on the drones has me decided on them. I hope to start a character tonight and am curious which skills I should start out with.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Quid wrote: »
    So the fact that the Gallente are a liberal democracy and heavy on the drones has me decided on them. I hope to start a character tonight and am curious which skills I should start out with.

the skills you start out with aren't that big a deal--anything you start out with trained to level V you could have trained up from nothing in about a week anyway. it's more important to focus on starting attributes--perception is most important, then memory, then int/wil, and char is basically useless. picking a military/soldier build will keep you from going to wrong. don't pick a mining build.

that said, skills you will want to focus on once you're all rolled up:

- drones: duh, you control one drone for every level you have of this. get it to V assuming you don't start out with it (you probably will)
    - heavy drone operation: lets you use (wait for it) heavy drones. ogres will fuck shit up, especially if you have
    - drone interfacing: 20% more drone damage per level, training this to at least 2 or 3 will do wonders for your drone damage
    - drone sharpshooting/navigation: your drones will shoot from farther away and move faster, these skills are no longer broken so train them
    - drone durability: mostly useless, if your drones are getting shot just recall them and they won't die unless you're an idiot

non drone stuff

- armor tanking skills: hull upgrades (lets you use better armor hardeners), armor repair systems, armor compensation skills (eventually)
    - hybrid weapons + support skills
    - capacitor skills (boring)
    - other stuff

page 11 is dedicated to doctor gregory house and his eternal love for doctor james e wilson

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Soo.. I need some help turning my Industrial into something that can slip through a gatecamp in one peice if thats possible.

Should I just stick with 3 WCS and a DCU2? should I throw an Invuln field and some shield boosters to the mids? or try to fit a MWD?

Or should I be focusing on the ISTABS and Nanofiber Hull Structures to lower my align time?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    You dont mention lowsec or 0.0 gatecamp, because you're probably not dodging a bubblecamp in a hauler. A lowsec camp you just align fast as possible and slip away from camps since they cant use inties without losing them on gates.

deadtear on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ok, so as long as I dont hit 0.0 I dont need to worry about getting scrammed/disrupted?

In that case, how high can I let my sig radius go with the ISTABS before I should worry? I seem to be able to get my align time to 8.2 secs but my sig is at 255 m2

Edit: What is the range / dps on those sentry guns? I know in the .2 systems there are only two of them so I'm not sure how much I can trust them to keep pirates away, then again, I dont know how much risk they would put in for my mostly empty Industrial with my latest purchases in tow. (Its really just a big golden shopping cart I use to pick up my purchases and bring them home)

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ok, so as long as I dont hit 0.0 I dont need to worry about getting scrammed/disrupted?

In that case, how high can I let my sig radius go with the ISTABS before I should worry? I seem to be able to get my align time to 8.2 secs but my sig is at 255 m2

Edit: What is the range / dps on those sentry guns? I know in the .2 systems there are only two of them so I'm not sure how much I can trust them to keep pirates away, then again, I dont know how much risk they would put in for my mostly empty Industrial with my latest purchases in tow. (Its really just a big golden shopping cart I use to pick up my purchases and bring them home)

Nono you do, but you dont have to worry about bubbles, which you'd die to pretty much no matter what. I guess if you can only get your align speed down to 8.2 you should probably throw on some stabs and train up your nav skills.

deadtear on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

the sentries can hit out to 250km but they are laughably easy to tank, assume that anyone who engages you on a gate is prepared to tank them unless they are complete blithering idiots

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Wait, I thought I was only supposed to have one capsule? I mean, I've only ever had one ship, too...
    imagelm5.jpg

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    yeah that happens sometimes, you can repackage them and contract them to people if you like v:|v

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007

Tackling is a vital role in PvP because often your target doesn't want to PvP. Normally PvP works in one of two ways. Either you've got more fire power than the enemy and you want to engage or you have less fire power than the enemy and want to leave. Tacklers prevent you from doing the later. They are equipped, at minimum, with a warp scrambler which prevents the target from warping away, keeping it in the same place long enough for the heavy firepower to kill it. Without tacklers, PvP would be pretty boring because most of your prey would run away before you could lock it and shoot it. Naturally, people who don't want to get killed by overwhelming firepower are likely to get pissed at a frigate holding their battleship down and are therefore as likely to decide to kill you if you try to tackle them as try to kill the heavier firepower (which is also likely to have heavier armor of shield) as killing you will facilitate a faster escape for them.

Indeed, BoB have recently change their battle tactics to essentially prioritise killing tacklers in most combat situations which isn't a terrible tactic from a pure survival point of view although it does rather suggest that a) they can't afford to loose their ships and b) they lack the confidence in their own firepower and strategies to meet an opposing force head on preferring to always make their escape a priority. As such, tacklers have a very low survival rate and are therefore required in abundance.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Tackling also while having a higher risk of losing your ship, the ISK loss associated with said ship is magnitudes less than the cost of the ship you tackle.

I would happily lose a hundred thousand ISK after insurance to help kill a ship worth hundreds of millions.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007

You can still get disrupted. It's just that the disruptee will be using a tackler rather than a warp disruption bubble. This means that they have to manually lock on to you rather than you just appearing in the middle of a big no-warp bubble. As such, I'd say that sig radius is marginally important as it will make it faster for them to lock on to you if it's high. That said, unless you are at war with them, then they won't be tackling in a frigate otherwise they'll die very quickly, so you can assume their lock-on speed will be relatively small (likely they are using a Battlecruiser or Battleship. I'm not sure if even a cruiser can tank sentry guns for very long).

Make alignment your top priority, with warp stabilisers an important secondary. If you have four low slots then two WCS and two Istabs should be more than adequate for most hauling runs.

There's also a trick involving MWDs that is worth utilising to maximise your align time. The problem with MWD in theory is that the time to warp is dictated by your maximum speed, being that you warp when you are at 80% of your maximum speed. MWDs increase your max speed and can therefore result in it taking longer to get up to 80% and warp away. However, MWDs cause you to turn a lot faster meaning alignment can be much quicker if one is activated. To exploit this feature, as soon as you have issued to Warp To command, pulse the MWD - activate it and then quickly deactivate it again. This should be just enough to make your industrial align as fast as an istabed interceptor but it should no longer be adjusting your max speed once you have aligned and so will not slow your acceleration to warp speed.

That's basically how I fit my haulers. If I need a lot of room inside it then I'll fit cargo expanders in the lows. Problem with that is that they sacrifice low slots meaning less room for WCS and istabs, but with the MWD trick a couple of WCS and three crago expanders on an Iteron MkV normally makes me feel safe enough.

Beyond istabs, WCSs and a MWD you don't really need anything else on a hauler. There's really not much point in further defences because if you don't warp out it's because you've been locked and scrammed and then a tank will just prelong the inevitable. I do normally fit a token shield tank in case I'm using it during a mining op and rats take a few pot shots at me in the belt and I'll fit a tractor if I have a high slot (again for mining ops, so I can pull cans towards me rather than having to slow boat to them) but for general haulage they are surplus to requirements. There is an argument in defence of fitting a cloak but I don't particularly see the point myself. Handy if you are collecting ratting loot from safespots in 0.0 space and a large gang of hostiles enters the system, but for normal hauling runs you are just jumping from gate to gate with no time for cloaking around in between and the Industrials' speed when cloaked is so slow you are likely to just get bumped if you try cloaking away from a hostile gate.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Tackling is a vital role in PvP because often your target doesn't want to PvP. Normally PvP works in one of two ways. Either you've got more fire power than the enemy and you want to engage or you have less fire power than the enemy and want to leave. Tacklers prevent you from doing the later. They are equipped, at minimum, with a warp scrambler which prevents the target from warping away, keeping it in the same place long enough for the heavy firepower to kill it. Without tacklers, PvP would be pretty boring because most of your prey would run away before you could lock it and shoot it. Naturally, people who don't want to get killed by overwhelming firepower are likely to get pissed at a frigate holding their battleship down and are therefore as likely to decide to kill you if you try to tackle them as try to kill the heavier firepower (which is also likely to have heavier armor of shield) as killing you will facilitate a faster escape for them.

Indeed, BoB have recently change their battle tactics to essentially prioritise killing tacklers in most combat situations which isn't a terrible tactic from a pure survival point of view although it does rather suggest that a) they can't afford to loose their ships and b) they lack the confidence in their own firepower and strategies to meet an opposing force head on preferring to always make their escape a priority. As such, tacklers have a very low survival rate and are therefore required in abundance.

This actually sounds like alot of fun, even if it's suicidal. Sign me up! :P

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    How often do the tacklers actually get podded as well? Out of curiosity.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nialscorvanialscorva Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There's also a trick involving MWDs that is worth utilising to maximise your align time. The problem with MWD in theory is that the time to warp is dictated by your maximum speed, being that you warp when you are at 80% of your maximum speed. MWDs increase your max speed and can therefore result in it taking longer to get up to 80% and warp away. However, MWDs cause you to turn a lot faster meaning alignment can be much quicker if one is activated. To exploit this feature, as soon as you have issued to Warp To command, pulse the MWD - activate it and then quickly deactivate it again. This should be just enough to make your industrial align as fast as an istabed interceptor but it should no longer be adjusting your max speed once you have aligned and so will not slow your acceleration to warp speed.

Not quite accurate. Your acceleration is always based upon the percentage of your max speed you are at. A given ship fitting will always take the same amount of time to go from 0 to 100% regardless of whether the MWD is active (or webbed, for that matter). Agility seems to be proportional to this percentage speed, not to absolute speed. When your top speed changes, your current speed does not.

So what happens is that you activate a MWD, your percentage speed drops to a very low number, and you get more agility. When the cycle ends, your current speed stays the same as the top speed drops. This will almost always put you over the 75% needed to warp. Acceleration is not linear, and you accelerate faster the closer you are to 40 or 50%. If you time it just right in a non-agile ship, you can MWD for one cycle, accelerate to mid-range MWD top speed, then be at 100% speed when your top speed drops back down. This is really hard to time except in the slowest of ships.

The same effect is often used on Freighters in reverse. Freighters are extremely slow to accelerate, so they get a buddy to web them. The Freighter initiates warp, accelerates to 20% or so, the web hits, and suddenly it's at the required percentage speed.

nialscorva on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So a L1 Q0 agent just told me to clear out an area with rats in it and their habitat module, so off I go doing just that in my noob ship. It took me forever (and getting blown up a couple unlucky times) just to clear the rats, and now here I am trying to destroy the habitat with my little civilian laser. ...This is going to take awhile. D:

[edit] Finished a couple minutes ago. Wow, that took awhile :\ [/edit]

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I remember that stupid mission. It's bullshit, I don't know why the habitat has such high hit points, it takes forever to kill when you're a noob and alone.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Shit, I think thats one of the biggest bonus's for Amarr, feeling free to blow up every single structure in missions because the T1 crystals wont burn out.

I have blown up numerous stargates, shipyards, cargo platforms, habitation modules, even an NPC tower.

Sure it takes forever in my little cruiser, but zooming out by a hundred km or so for the last few hull hp then having an explosion fill your entire screen is very satisfying.

EDIT: Also, occasionaly some of these structures will drop a jetcan with loot thats better than what you would find on that missions rats. Though more often all I get is the explosions.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I got podded pretty frequently on the ops I went on as a tackler, but it was almost all against BoB and they probably knew that if they didn't pod me, I was just going to warp back to the station and get a new tackling frigate. I imagine that against enemies who aren't all 'death to all tacklers' it would happen less.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I got podded pretty frequently on the ops I went on as a tackler, but it was almost all against BoB and they probably knew that if they didn't pod me, I was just going to warp back to the station and get a new tackling frigate. I imagine that against enemies who aren't all 'death to all tacklers' it would happen less.

Jokes on them, if they pod you, you get back to the station faster.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »

Jokes on them, if they pod you, you get back to the station faster.
    To be fair people rushing back to fights is how you lose skillpoints if you're not careful to keep your clone updated.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    EDIT: Also, occasionaly some of these structures will drop a jetcan with loot thats better than what you would find on that missions rats. Though more often all I get is the explosions.

www.eveinfo.com has a mission database that, in addition to detailing the enemies you will encounter on a mission (so you can fit the appropriate tank and ammo) will also tell you if there are any structures that drop loot and what that structure is which saves you the time of blowing up absolutely everything on the off chance.

The mission database isn't entirely exhaustive, but usually if it doesn't have the specific mission for your level it will have the same mission at another level where usually the only difference is the level of the enemies and not their racial type or the loot that structures drop.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ok, it's my turn for some noobishness. What's all this Khanid ships thing all about? Where do you get them from, what are they and are they practical for anything except mission running?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Khanid is a branch of amarr t2. If you showinfo on t2 ships they will say the manufacturer, such as khanid, creodron, and whatever else there is i forget. It's just a base design philosophy, creodron is drone boats, ishkur, ishtar, eos, and helios, khanid is armor tanking missle boats, malediction, sac, heretic, damnation etc etc.

deadtear on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Oh, so it's just like Lai Dai or Ishukone for the Caldari t2 ships? Why are Khanid specifically getting all this attention at the moment? Are they shit?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Oh, so it's just like Lai Dai or Ishukone for the Caldari t2 ships? Why are Khanid specifically getting all this attention at the moment? Are they shit?

Yes, they were completely roleless and had shitty bonuses all over the place. At least now their ships have a purpose even if they suck.

deadtear on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    k, so I've heard torpedos suck for pvp, does this hold true for all missile launchers as well?

Nobody on
  • Options
    nialscorvanialscorva Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    For POS shooting, small gang, and a few other roles cruises aren't too bad. The flight time on missiles is the killer, and they work in any situation where a 10 second delay in damage landing is acceptable.

nialscorva on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I was about to ask how to do all the jump clone stuff, but I googled it and it seems hellishly time consuming.

So noob question: What are the different ways to get around? Warp gates, jump clones, cyno...? (wtf are those?) And there's pod jumping or something, too? D:

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was about to ask how to do all the jump clone stuff, but I googled it and it seems hellishly time consuming.

So noob question: What are the different ways to get around? Warp gates, jump clones, cyno...? (wtf are those?) And there's pod jumping or something, too? D:

Jump clones are great. It allows you to have a carebear clone with implants in and a combat clone without[or with implants if you are ballsy]

Other ways of getting around are

1. Jump gates: Fly the long way, probably die

2. Cynosunaral Fields: You are a capital ship, or flying with a Titan. Also you have a cyno net

3. Jewperhighway: Like cyno fields except from fixed POS locations to another. Also known as Jump Bridges. Most alliances will have a pipe already set up in their space

4. Pod jump: Set clone to station you want to land at. Undock. Self destruct shuttle. Self destruct POD. Wake up in new clone. upgrade clone before doing anything else!

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    4. Pod jump: Set clone to station you want to land at. Undock. Self destruct shuttle. Self destruct POD. Wake up in new clone. upgrade clone before doing anything else!

Wait wait wait, you can set a clone to a station you're not currently at? Have I just been overlooking this or is there some special magicks for this to work?

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

Wait wait wait, you can set a clone to a station you're not currently at? Have I just been overlooking this or is there some special magicks for this to work?

You've been overlooking it. Just go to a Med Facility, click "Change Station" right next to "Upgrade Clone" and a list of stations will pop up that you can put a clone. Just pick whichever station you want.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling