As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dota 2] TI3. Look who's comin for dinner!

SkabSkab Registered User regular
Dota2_news.jpg

What is this Dota you speak of?
Defense of the Ancents was originally created in Warcraft 3 by the mapmaker Eul, and was based off of the Starcraft custom game Aeon of Strife. When WC3: The Frozen Throne was released Eul stopped updating the map, which then caused a flood of different varients to appear across battle.net. Among them was DotA Allstars, which was created by Guinsoo, which became main version that we have today. During Guinsoos time, Pendragon came along and made dota-allstars.com in reponse to the need for a main dedicated website for the growing community. With version 6.01, Guinsoo passed authorship off to Icefrog, who started adding new heroes, items, mechanics and fixes, and still runs the game to this day.

Guinsoo and Pendragon would later go on to work at Riot and help create League of Legends, while Icefrog and Eul would go on to work at Valve and are now working on Dota 2.

Dota 2 is the sequel to that popular Warcraft 3 custom game that has since spawned an entire genre with the likes of League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth. If you have played either of those games then you have a basic idea of how things work.

Gameplay remains true to the original Dota, but takes advantage of everything the source engine and Steam have to offer. Besides better graphics, this means things like reconnecting, being able to spectate any match currently in progress even while waiting in que for matchmaking, and no longer having this happen to you
rage6.gif

New to the game and want to learn? The following links will get you started. Dota has a massive learning curve, so you wont learn everything here, but it should be enough to get you on your feet.
(Credit for this list actually goes to Gully State over on Gaf.)

First

Second (Warning, these are long.)

"Hey, I'm freaking amazing at LoL so I should be good at this too, right?"
Not exactly. While at their core they are similar, there are some some key differences that make the meta/feel/pace different. Some of these include things like the way carry heroes work, denying, gold loss on death, towers behaving differently, runes, a larger map, a str/agi/int based stat system, more active/useable items, and more.

Heroes & Items

There are currently 108 heroes in Dota, and while all of them will be coming over to Dota 2, only about 3/4s of the hero pool is available in the current beta build. Currently we get about one new heroes a week, with Valve sometimes surprising us with either more or none at all.

Current hero pool: http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Heroes
Items: http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Items

Curious what heroes are on their way? http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Unreleased_Content

Other Useful Links

http://blog.dota2.com
http://www.joindota.com/en/start

Announcement art (also in the valve store as posters)
dota2_onesheet_drowranger.jpg

dota2_onesheet_lina.jpg

dota2_onesheet_morphling.jpg

dota2_onesheet_bloodseeker.jpg

(This OP is a work in progress, more info will be added as more people are able to get their hands on the game.)

steam_sig.png

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    The Na'vi vs Tong Fu games are pretty good. Game 3 in particular is kind of crazy.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Im glad that thread participation is up lately. Discussion of ongoing tournaments is great fun and one of the best things about eSports (tm)

• JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    You mean ESPORTS. It only counts if they're wearing ESPORT aviators.

• pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    #nonewthreads

I'm pretty happy that both Fnatic and Liquid did as well as they did. They both made it in the money and beat some of the best Chinese teams out there.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    If you perchance happens to be David Sirlin, watch Na'Vi vs Tongfu game 3 for multiple orgasms.

• kalkal Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    If you perchance happens to be David Sirlin, watch Na'Vi vs Tongfu game 3 for multiple orgasms.

Those hooks were ridiculous. I'm suprised that's something that is A legal and B even possible to do.

Watching this is my first real foray into anything Dota 2 and even though I don't understand half onf what's being said it's been pretty fun to watch amd has me interested in maybe tring the game out at some point.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    First page of a new thread needs at least 1 fun picture.

8uLWy8M.jpg

Blendtec on
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Mad respect to navi for doing the fountainhooks tbh. It's such a risky strat, and takes nerves of steel to risk it in such a high stakes game.

Na'vi vs Alliance is gonna be awesome.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    kal wrote: »

Those hooks were ridiculous. I'm suprised that's something that is A legal and B even possible to do.

Watching this is my first real foray into anything Dota 2 and even though I don't understand half onf what's being said it's been pretty fun to watch amd has me interested in maybe tring the game out at some point.

They are possible/allowed because they are ridiculously hard to time. It took a pair like Puppey and Dendi, who are in tune with each other on a ridiculous level, to pull it off. Even they wiffed more than they landed. You're not going to see some crazy meta shift to fountain hooking. This was Na'vi being Na'vi and tweaking with an obscure game mechanic to surprise and confuse an opponent.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    people keep pretending that valve explicitly allowed (or intended for) fountain hooking. they said that if its in the game its legal (for the tournament) because policing all of the bugs in the game would be ridiculous (like manta not removing ensnare which also affected a match yesterday, or the fact that pudge's hook is ~20% faster, ~8% longer and with a smaller hitbox than dota 1. blinding light pushback to unpathable terrain is also a bug iirc but fuk testing it in wc3 dota). to be clear, this behavior is an inconsistency with dota 1 (hook in dota 1 drags to pudge's location when he cast it, dota 2 just drags to his position). you could argue its not a bug if you like, because orb behavior and stuff like that aren't 1:1 with dota 1 but its almost assuredly not intended and i hope (and somewhat expect) valve will remove it in a future patch because its as stupid as rubick telekinesis to unpathable terrain or dark seer vacuum during naga sleep. is it broken or uncounterable or are na'vi scumbags for using it? no.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    Yeah, I don't think it is' intended...but I call it an "obscure game mechanic" and not an "exploit" specifically because of Valve's stance on it. When it gets removed, it's not legal anymore.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    P10 wrote: »
    but its almost assuredly not intended and i hope (and somewhat expect) valve will remove it in a future patch because its as stupid as rubick telekinesis to unpathable terrain or dark seer vacuum during naga sleep. is it broken or uncounterable or are na'vi scumbags for using it? no.

Erik Johnson himself was made aware that this interaction existed back in 2011 on the dev forums and explicitly said that Valve chose to leave it in "because it's hilarious". So working as intended 100%. Maybe it'll get banned in the future for being too strong, but it'll take more than one pro match for Icefrog to change it. Song + Vacuum only got nerfed because it was such a massively dominant strategy for the entire TI2.

I've also heard that you actually can fountain hook with Wisp in WC3 DotA? Can't confirm that though.

In reference to what Jutranjo said in the last thread, 90 minute games where nothing is going on are shit. I am enjoying the tournament immensely, but I do not see why I should be expected to not complain about terrible games. There's no point in insisting that people should have enjoyed that game.

The_Tuninator on
    edited August 2013
    source? nm found it
    /e: you can fountain hook with wisp in wc3 dota. the mechanics are different, obv. hook drags to location on cast, so you sit in fountain with wisp + pudge. you time hook to go off as relocate does. hook will be drawn based off of pudge's new position but will drag back to his position in the fountain.

P10 on
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Yeah I essentially agree with what Maelk said after the game, it's broken as all hell and shouldn't be in the game but props to NaVi for finding the way when all other options were gone. Sucks for Tong Fu though.

To say it was risky dumbfounds me though, in that game it was almost completely risk free. It couldn't backfire in any meaningful way simply because NaVi was losing anyway, any fight they took with or without Pudge there they would have lost.

edited August 2013
    source?
    /e: you can fountain hook with wisp in wc3 dota. the mechanics are different, obv. hook drags to location on cast, so you sit in fountain with wisp + pudge. you time hook to go off as relocate does. hook will be drawn based off of pudge's new position but will drag back to his position in the fountain.

A Google search unearths this:
    dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=2989

Valve has been aware of the interaction for almost a year and a half.

The_Tuninator on
    edited August 2013

But one of the lead developers hasn't said that any of those are "too hilarious to fix".

Fountain hooking isn't a bug, it's a feature, and I don't say that sarcastically.

The_Tuninator on
    I wonder if Hao was laughing.

The swedish tv-channel TV6 just started their online coverage of TI3 with a screen saying "No input signal" and constant digital beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

So thats a success :P

edited August 2013
    too hilarious to fix is hardly saying its a feature. its saying its a bug but w/e. but now we see its not w/e
    /e: o also just because a dev said whatever doesn't mean they won't change it

P10 on
    edited August 2013
    too hilarious to fix is hardly saying its a feature. its saying its a bug but w/e. but now we see its not w/e

If the devs are aware of the bug and decide it should not be fixed, it becomes a feature. Most great competitive games have core features which were initially bugs or behavior otherwise unintended by the devs.

Of course the devs may change it, but if fountain hooking is changed it will be because it was an overpowered strategy, not because it was an unintended bug.

Fountain hooking is no longer an unintended bug, and classifying it as so when it has the approval of the devs is a bit silly.

I also feel obliged to point out that it's perfectly possible to pick heroes who can mitigate fountain hooking or escape from being pulled to the fountain with some farm. Fountain hooks are not without counter-play.

The_Tuninator on
  • kalkal Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    kal wrote: »

They are possible/allowed because they are ridiculously hard to time. It took a pair like Puppey and Dendi, who are in tune with each other on a ridiculous level, to pull it off. Even they wiffed more than they landed. You're not going to see some crazy meta shift to fountain hooking. This was Na'vi being Na'vi and tweaking with an obscure game mechanic to surprise and confuse an opponent.

Mabe legal was the wrong word since it is possible to do and they were not glitching/cheating and they did say on the stream that it was going to be allowed. I completely understand the risk/reward and the skill it took to pull of the ones that they did it and it just seemed kinda ehhh unfair I guess to the other team .

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    I'm a relative newbie/pubbie to MOBAs, so I could b e wrong, but it looked to me like there was risk in that fountainhook gamble. Every time Dendi missed, he was losing time he could've spent farming, and his team couldn't do any pushing because he was so out of position. He could remedy this by buying a scroll of town portal, but that's not an insignificant amount of gold when you're playing from behind and having to do it as often as he was. Seemed pretty risky to me, just not in the immediate 'gonna get killed' way.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

I would like to point out that skiing in Tribes was originally a massive exploit/bug that evolved into a feature and was actually designed to be a feature of Tribes: Ascend.

edited August 2013
    3clipse wrote: »

I would like to point out that skiing in Tribes was originally a massive exploit/bug that evolved into a feature and was actually designed to be a feature of Tribes: Ascend.

Also comboing and cancelling in fighting games, as well as wavedashing in Melee.

Fountain hooking might be deemed too OP to be allowable and nerfed, but it won't be removed for being a bug.

The_Tuninator on
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    I'm a relative newbie/pubbie to MOBAs, so I could b e wrong, but it looked to me like there was risk in that fountainhook gamble. Every time Dendi missed, he was losing time he could've spent farming, and his team couldn't do any pushing because he was so out of position. He could remedy this by buying a scroll of town portal, but that's not an insignificant amount of gold when you're playing from behind and having to do it as often as he was. Seemed pretty risky to me, just not in the immediate 'gonna get killed' way.

It was pretty fucking risky, not really due to pudge not farming, but the team being, at best, in a 4v5 situation. Mostly it was only pudge and chen or with windrunner as well. Chen died often because the hook didn't land. Even when it did land chen was dead meat if he was alone.

Though the Aegis gyro took the fucking cake!

As did rocket jumping, strafe jumping, creep pulling, denying, tinker boots of travel wasn't intentional, bottle crowing, TINY's combo, etc. etc.

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    but its almost assuredly not intended and i hope (and somewhat expect) valve will remove it in a future patch because its as stupid as rubick telekinesis to unpathable terrain or dark seer vacuum during naga sleep. is it broken or uncounterable or are na'vi scumbags for using it? no.

Erik Johnson himself was made aware that this interaction existed back in 2011 on the dev forums and explicitly said that Valve chose to leave it in "because it's hilarious". So working as intended 100%. Maybe it'll get banned in the future for being too strong, but it'll take more than one pro match for Icefrog to change it. Song + Vacuum only got nerfed because it was such a massively dominant strategy for the entire TI2.

Anticipating this being the defence for half the obvious bugs and inconsistencies Valve can't be bothered to deal with.

I guess when a team wins an International match with broken Luna glaive bounces, or loses because of broken WD ult bounces, Valve will finally admit that those exist.

Fountain hooking with Pudge is a trade-off anyway, since they removed the far more practical force staff hook extensions that he has in dota 1.

And, really, if they're going to keep allowing skills to push people into unpathable terrain then they should bring back dota 1 terrain glitching.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited August 2013
    Page- wrote: »

Anticipating this being the defence for half the obvious bugs and inconsistencies Valve can't be bothered to deal with.

I guess when a team wins an International match with broken Luna glaive bounces, or loses because of broken WD ult bounces, Valve will finally admit that those exist.

Fountain hooking with Pudge is a trade-off anyway, since they removed the far more practical force staff hook extensions that he has in dota 1.

And, really, if they're going to keep allowing skills to push people into unpathable terrain then they should bring back dota 1 terrain glitching.

Believe me, I hate Valve's laxity when it comes to bugfixing as much as the next guy, but if they specifically said that they want fountain hooking in the game you can't call it an unintended bug any longer. Valve did not try to cover fountain hooking up; they specifically acknowledged that it existed and, more importantly, that they liked it over a year and a half ago.

Maybe it's an OP strategy, maybe it's a dumb mechanical interaction, but it can't be considered a bug at this point.

e: DotA2 does have a fair amount of mechanical differences from DotA1, but as long as they don't actually break the hero/game I'm not too perturbed. I tend to view them as simply part of the evolution of the game.

Pushing into unpathable terrain definitely should be fixed though.

The_Tuninator on
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »

It was pretty fucking risky, not really due to pudge not farming, but the team being, at best, in a 4v5 situation. Mostly it was only pudge and chen or with windrunner as well. Chen died often because the hook didn't land. Even when it did land chen was dead meat if he was alone.

Though the Aegis gyro took the fucking cake!

It really, really, wasn't risky though.

NaVi was mobile enough to never fear getting stuck in a 4v5 they didn't want, at least not any fight short enough that dendi couldn't get back in time for the next cooldown on hook. They could safely let Dendi try a fountain hook and if it didn't work fall back, heck most of the time the NaVi cores wasn't even in the same part of the map. Sure Chen died a few times but that is a low low price for the amount of space they bought for xboct. About the only really risky one was the one that caught the aegis gyro but if that hadn't hit they would have lost the fight anyway and as it was they instead instagibbed a bkb + butterfly + aegis carry with 2 normal spells.

Like seriously, taking highground against that is next to impossible. Even if you had slightly less stupid positioning from the other team.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

What is broken about them?

It's obviously intended.

The problem is that Valve has had an forum open since early beta for discussing gameplay changes and inconsistencies between dota 1 and dota 2, yet have failed to actual rule (or even comment) on 95% of the topics.

I used to actually look for, find, and report (or at least make sure they'd been reported) bugs and inconsistencies. I kept an install of wc3 on my hdd. But Valve does nothing and doesn't even respond, so now it looks like most players don't, either. What's even more dubious is that they backdoor fix stuff without ever telling anyone, like the Dire fountain dead spot that I reported a long while back. It's nice that they fixed that, but since they never acknowledged my bug report, or even brought up the fix in patch notes, it's hard to work up motivation to keep throwing stuff at the wall.

(Really, I'd be better off just emailing stuff directly to Icefrog. At least he's had the grace to respond to things in the past.)

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
    edited August 2013
    A hook into 1v5 on high ground is going to be a near-instant kill almost always anyways, though hooking to fountain probably wouldn't require as many spells to be burned.

Glaives bounce much further between buildings in the base. They did not in DotA1. Luna's not exactly a problem hero, so I don't really see it as an issue.

The_Tuninator on
  • JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    So hyped!

Watching this pre-game coverage feels like an actual sporting event.

That top 10 reminded me: In all the arguing about the fountain hook, lets not forget the beast that is Dendi who was able to pull some of those hooks off, regular and fountain.

Jibba wrote: »
    So hyped!

Watching this pre-game coverage feels like an actual sporting event.

I always look forward to the analyst desk. They do a great job of entertaining viewers, doubly so now that they have a competent interviewer.

• JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    <3 Nancy

Slardar pick sighted.

A hook into 1v5 on high ground is going to be a near-instant kill almost always anyways, though hooking to fountain probably wouldn't require as many spells to be burned.

Glaives bounce much further between buildings in the base. They did not in DotA1. Luna's not exactly a problem hero, so I don't really see it as an issue.

Oh, that's probably actually not a bug then, they've fixed/changed a lot of weird hit detection stuff going from WC3 DotA to DotA 2.

Slardar pick sighted.

So much great pick variety this tournament! I really wish Fnatic had gone with the Meepo.

It's not actually the glaives that are broken, but that the base layout in dota 2 is completely different from the base layout in dota 1. The buildings are spaced differently (generally closer together), and there are actually less building types--in dota 2 there are basically towers, barracks, and then the equivalent of moon wells, which are just there to be free gold and block creep aggro, while in dota 1 there are towers, barracks, moon wells, and then a couple other buildings like hunter's halls. Not only are the moon wells in dota 2 in a different layout, but they're all worth 100 gold, while in dota 1 moon wells are 100 gold, but the other buildings are worth more, with hunter's halls being around 250 gold. Not only that, but the bigger buildings also have more hp and armour.

But it's a trade-off again for Luna. In dota 1 a glaive can bounce back and forth between 2 units, making Luna even more dangerous against 2 opponents than 3 or 4, while in dota 2 they can only bounce to each unit once, making her better at team fights, but worse in skirmishes. The same thing goes for WD ult, which can bounce between the same units in dota 1, but not in dota 2--and that's still a kind of trade-off since he needs lvl 3 ult and aghs to get all 5 bounces in dota 1, but will automatically get 5 bounces in dota 2 even if it's a lvl 1 ult (which I actually expect to be fixed). The problem for WD is that if anything interrupts his ult in dota 2 then it instantly cancels all ward damage. Even projectiles that have already been fired will stop doing damage, which obviously doesn't happen in dota 1. That's a pretty huge nerf for a hero that is going to be the main target for all disables in any teamfight.

My favourite thing from the dev forum is that many people think that Valve hasn't actually coded an hp removal damage type, but codes each of those skills individually, which is why every time they add a new skill that interacts with hp removal it's buggy as hell.

stream
    Slardar pick sighted.

who cares TIMBERSAW PICK

This discussion has been closed.