As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat][WITTINESS GOES HERE]

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Haphazard wrote: »
    I'm not going to sleep, I thought you were! :P

Also, there's nothing worse than enthusiastic management people propagating their latest fad.

God, I hate those fuckers.

I was saying night to ege!

Also, yes I agree. Jesus.

Also yes re Loren: my views are partially informed by feelings of powerlessness over my life. A lot of things have just worked out the way they are.

MrMister on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    I'm sort of with ege in that I think a positive outlook, confidence, and sticktoitiveness are usually necessary to success. I just don't think they're sufficient.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    jacobkosh is bi? I never knew.

I'm open-minded! though in practice I don't actually meet many guys where I'd consider the possibility. The only cool gay nerds I know are on the internets.

Cool beans. I'll make out with chicks when I'm drunk, but I'm basically totally into guys.

MrMister on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm not going to sleep, I thought you were! :P

Also, there's nothing worse than enthusiastic management people propagating their latest fad.

God, I hate those fuckers.

I was saying night to ege!

Also, yes I agree. Jesus.

Also yes re Loren: my views are partially informed by feelings of powerlessness over my life. A lot of things have just worked out the way they are.
    Well, that's life.

Though the bisexual individual I was referring to is actually Aemilius. But that's a separate, very disturbing topic.

yalborap on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, I think Aemilius is his own category. but hey, that's cool, he seems a nice enough chap.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited August 2007
    I'm sort of with ege in that I think a positive outlook, confidence, and sticktoitiveness are usually necessary to success. I just don't think they're sufficient.

Necessary and sufficient conditions are giving me hellish flashbacks to philosophy. O god.

Also, I've been successful by most meters just by virtue of going to Stanford, but I don't really have a positive outlook, confidence, or sticktoitiveness. I mainly have academic parents with high expectations and enough money to pay my way.

MrMister on
    edited August 2007
    yalborap wrote: »
    Though the bisexual individual I was referring to is actually Aemilius. But that's a separate, very disturbing topic.

COWGIRLS

MrMister on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    jacobkosh is bi? I never knew.

I'm open-minded! though in practice I don't actually meet many guys where I'd consider the possibility. The only cool gay nerds I know are on the internets.

Yes.

Although, I've made out with representatives from most of the major genders.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

COWGIRLS

Cowgirls are hawt.

Oh, wait... Aemilius cowgirls... nevermind.

Haphazard on
    edited August 2007
    Loren: my views are partially informed by feelings of powerlessness over my life. A lot of things have just worked out the way they are.

Exactly.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited August 2007

COWGIRLS

Cowgirls are hawt.

Oh, wait... Aemilius cowgirls... nevermind.

Jesus, what the hell are you people talking about?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Do you really want to know?

Haphazard on
    edited August 2007
    Also, I've been successful by most meters just by virtue of going to Stanford, but I don't really have a positive outlook, confidence, or sticktoitiveness. I mainly have academic parents with high expectations and enough money to pay my way.

I am both, I think, quite talented and extraordinarily lazy, both of which have had their impact on my life, but if I sit down and enumerate everything that's gotten me to this point random chance has to account for like a third of it. It's really epically arrogant of people to think that they're masters of their own fates and judge others accordingly: of course, if you root for them to get their comeuppance it just feeds that obnoxious paranoia.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited August 2007
    Do you really want to know?

Also, cowboys of the western sort are hella hot.

MrMister on
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    ege02 wrote: »
    \The world is full of people who start with nothing and end up with everything.

The world is also full of people who do their best and fail.

Of course. Successful people typically have failed countless times before they finally got to where they are at. You think Edison discovered the light bulb on his first try? No, he tried a shitload of times before he figured it out. What about the founders of multinational corporations? Do you think they started making insane profits right away? No, they almost always started by making huge losses, to the point where everyone around them was trying to convince them to give up. But they didn't, and today we have Starbucks and Microsoft and Ford and FedEx.

If you try to be successful, chances are you'll fail a lot on the way.

But you aren't defeated until you accept defeat.

ege02 on
    edited August 2007
    Jesus, what the hell are you people talking about?

The horror...the horror...
    furry drawings. they had tits...and udders

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited August 2007
    It's really epically arrogant of people to think that they're masters of their own fates and judge others accordingly: of course, if you root for them to get their comeuppance it just feeds that obnoxious paranoia.

You're pretty much speaking truth here.

MrMister on
    edited August 2007
    Shouldn't you be in bed, ege? You have achieving to do!

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited August 2007
    I'm going to have to disagree with you there, MrMister.

Cowboys are not hot, unless they are exceptionally un-cowboy-like..

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited August 2007
    bootstraps bootstraps etc.

MrMister on
    edited August 2007
    Aw... aw jacobkosh... aw jesus...

why did I click that...

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited August 2007
    I'm going to have to disagree with you there, MrMister.

Cowboys are not hot, unless they are exceptionally un-cowboy-like..

They have to talk and dress like cowboys, but have none of the same opinions. Then they're scorching.

MrMister on
    edited August 2007
    So like, the kind of cowboys who go to unicorn rodeos.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited August 2007
    aw jesus...

why did I click that...

It's like looking into a time warp! Me, seven days ago.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited August 2007
    bootstraps bootstraps etc.

What?

ege02 on
    edited August 2007

You'd think unicorns would be a more masculinely accepted animal.

I mean, it's a HORSE, with a fuckin' HORN! That it can use to STAB PEOPLE! What part of that doesn't scream 'blood-lusting male ride of the pre-motor days'?

yalborap on
    edited August 2007
    What?

It's an old phrase: "pull oneself up by one's bootstraps."

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited August 2007

Rasslin up some unicorns is pretty damn hot.

Also, ege, it's a reference to the phrase "pull yourself up by your bootstraps." Basically, you're reading like a Horatio Alger novel.

MrMister on
    edited August 2007
    aw jesus...

why did I click that...

It's like looking into a time warp! Me, seven days ago.

It's like staring into the abyss, and being forever changed.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited August 2007

I mean, it's a HORSE, with a fuckin' HORN! That it can use to STAB PEOPLE! What part of that doesn't scream 'blood-lusting male ride of the pre-motor days'?

The seven year old girl who draws it in pastels in art class basically sucks the masculine right out. Because girls love ponies. Especially magical princess ponies.

MrMister on
    edited August 2007
    That's an extremely retarded saying.

ege02 on
    edited August 2007

Rasslin up some unicorns is pretty damn hot.

Also, ege, it's a reference to the phrase "pull yourself up by your bootstraps." Basically, you're reading like a Horatio Alger novel.

Horatio Alger novels almost invariably involved a hilarious amount of dumb luck. Alger could never write a coherent recipe for bootstrapping one's own success, so he always relied on some deus ex machina.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited August 2007

The seven year old girl who draws it in pastels in art class basically sucks the masculine right out. Because girls love ponies. Especially magical princess ponies.

Accursed women, getting in the way of male fun.

yalborap on
    edited August 2007
    Horatio Alger novels almost invariably involved a hilarious amount of dumb luck. Alger could never write a coherent recipe for bootstrapping one's own success, so he always relied on some deus ex machina.

Probably because conditions for the poor when he was writing were so incredibly heinous. Not that it's rainbows and butterflies now.

MrMister on
    edited August 2007

Reminds me of one of my favorite lines from one of my favorite movies:

"What is it with chicks and horses, anyways?"

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited August 2007

Alternate answer:
    pl-rainbowunicorn2910.jpg
    Had that in my freshman dorm room.

MrMister on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Once again, I woke up mad fucking early.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited August 2007
    What movie's that from?

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited August 2007

Probably because conditions for the poor when he was writing were so incredibly heinous. Not that it's rainbows and butterflies now.

It's just funny that even the classic example of bootstrap-success is tainted by luck and the kindness of strangers.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited August 2007
    What movie's that from?

George of the Jungle.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
This discussion has been closed.