As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comics in Movies and Beyond: The Sequeling

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Man. Big Hero Six movie. We're discussing a Big Hero 6 movie, and DC is making... Superman Vs. Batman.

Remember when that would have been exciting? Man. Marvel has upped the game.

I've never read anything with Big Hero 6, but it does make me wonder - if they go 3D animated for this one, what other properties might they explore for fully CG films? What other books would make good animated films in this vein?

H9f4bVe.png
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Man. Big Hero Six movie. We're discussing a Big Hero 6 movie, and DC is making... Superman Vs. Batman.

Remember when that would have been exciting? Man. Marvel has upped the game.

I've never read anything with Big Hero 6, but it does make me wonder - if they go 3D animated for this one, what other properties might they explore for fully CG films? What other books would make good animated films in this vein?

Well, Power Pack is a pretty natural fit for Disney.

Family of kid heroes and suchlike.

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Oh, man, an animated Power Pack movie would be just the best.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    I have to wonder. Do the licenses to Sony/ fox for spider-man, x-men etc also include animated features?

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure Disney has a new Spider-Man animated series already running or starting soon, so there's at least one deal where it isn't included.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    They can do animated TV series, but I don't think they can do like a big budget Pixar Spider-Man movie or something

Or else they probably would have

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    I should

• cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Some GotG footage from Comicon leaked online. Looks pretty cool. I'd add the link but the site is Russian and I'm not sure how sketchy it is.

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
  • MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    Pretty much all of the Comic Con and Disney event footage is floating around now - just barely keeping ahead of the Disney C&D emails.

I've seen the clips from Captain America, Thor, GotG, and the Avengers 2 trailer. Cap and Thor look good, GotG looks amazing, Avengers isn't anything to write home about.

Public Service announcement - if you start seeing stories about how Marvel's movie-based toy line may have spoiled something in Captain America DO NOT CLICK THAT FUCKING LINK. It's a possible spoiler so mind-blowing it'll steal your soul (even if it's still just speculation at this point).

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    I have videos that claim to be of the full events, but I still haven't gotten around to watching them.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Full event videos are available, but they cut out the movie footage.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    MetalMagus wrote: »
    Pretty much all of the Comic Con and Disney event footage is floating around now - just barely keeping ahead of the Disney C&D emails.

I've seen the clips from Captain America, Thor, GotG, and the Avengers 2 trailer. Cap and Thor look good, GotG looks amazing, Avengers isn't anything to write home about.

Public Service announcement - if you start seeing stories about how Marvel's movie-based toy line may have spoiled something in Captain America DO NOT CLICK THAT FUCKING LINK. It's a possible spoiler so mind-blowing it'll steal your soul (even if it's still just speculation at this point).

Well Jesus man now you have to tell us

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    "...and I go like this."

UbmbuBw.gif

steam_sig.png
  • ryvenryven Registered User regular
    rocket is my hero

edited August 2013
    Full event videos are available, but they cut out the movie footage.

Yeah. I don't know what's on them other than they're big-ass files I downloaded the day of.

Crimsondude on

Because you asked - do not open this link unless you are a filthy, filthy spoiler whore (like me) or enjoy baseless speculation.
    Hasbro's SDCC preview of their upcoming figures had "Comics" and "Movie" versions of Captain America characters. One of them was a Red Skull figure marked as movie.

He's wearing the exact same outfit as their Nick Fury figure, but its more tattered and worn.

Apparently people picked upon this right after SDCC, but I just saw it for the first time. Most people are writing it off as Hasbro being lazy and just whole-sale reusing Nick's body to make a new "movie" version Red Skull in order to sell more figures.

Or, y'know, it turns out in the end of Captain America that Red Skull was masquerading as Nick Fury.

Ooooooooh!

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I would be fine with that.
    bring retcons to the movieworld!

"Welcome to being a comic fan."

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    "BLAM! Murdered you!"

H9f4bVe.png
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

I think the X-Men franchise has already crossed that frontier.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited August 2013

Because you asked - do not open this link unless you are a filthy, filthy spoiler whore (like me) or enjoy baseless speculation.
    Hasbro's SDCC preview of their upcoming figures had "Comics" and "Movie" versions of Captain America characters. One of them was a Red Skull figure marked as movie.

He's wearing the exact same outfit as their Nick Fury figure, but its more tattered and worn.

Apparently people picked upon this right after SDCC, but I just saw it for the first time. Most people are writing it off as Hasbro being lazy and just whole-sale reusing Nick's body to make a new "movie" version Red Skull in order to sell more figures.

Or, y'know, it turns out in the end of Captain America that Red Skull was masquerading as Nick Fury.
    Be odd if they did that. Iron Man 3 showed that Marvel had this sort of thing locked down. Every bit of merch built on the lie at the center of the film, so the more immersed in spoilers and speculation you were, the less likely you were to figure out the truth. Wrecking a last act twist like that feels awful amateur hour for a company that played so well just one film back.

chiasaur11 on
    edited August 2013
    Wildcard, Bitches!
    It's actually Mikel Fury.

Crimsondude on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    So Vin Diesel is posting pictures of Groot and stuff galore, if he's the voice of Groot all my nerd dreams have come true ( well , except for the entire cast being Dwayne Johnson, but that was a long shot)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Wildcard, Bitches!
    It's actually Mikel Fury.

Nah, his name is actually
    Lluks Fury - y'know cause it's an anagram and stuff.
    We'll get final confirmations at SDCC, but for now most of the entertainment news sites are reporting an unconfirmed report that Benicio Del Toro will be playing the Collector, Lee Pace is Ronan the Accuser, and Karen Gillan is Nebula (which nobody saw coming cause we all thought she'd be playing a red head).

I'm putting money that the reason Vin Diesel was asked to visit the Marvel Studios was so he could be the voice of Groot.

Just saying...

So Vin Diesel is posting pictures of Groot and stuff galore, if he's the voice of Groot all my nerd dreams have come true ( well , except for the entire cast being Dwayne Johnson, but that was a long shot)

I read a fun blog post that this is all disinformation because ... :S

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I will cut you!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    edited August 2013
    guardians-of-the-galaxy-tweet-brett-white-wonderwoman.jpg

h/t to Gamma Squad.

Anyway, the video while it lasts.

http://youtu.be/zBwdGSIxp2c

Crimsondude on
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

What exactly would be the
    Retcon?

Quire.jpg
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Anyway, the video while it lasts.

http://youtu.be/zBwdGSIxp2c

I'm highly amused by the thought of some ad exec spending the last year pacing his/her office going "How the fuck do we market this?"

Tomanta on
    They're ad execs. Fuck 'em.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

Thus my high amusement levels.

And that video has been taken down as well.

I really don't understand why they don't just publicly release the footage from SDCC. I understand wanting to premiere it there, and maybe waiting a week or two to make it feel a little more exclusive but surely the marketing benefits and money saved from not continually tracking down bootleg videos on the internet would outweigh whatever cons there are.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    So I'm guessing the full trailer with the release of Thor 2?

I caught the trailer while it was up, and man that's going to confuse some people. The song choice itself was...weird (though pretty awesome). The closing line was perfect though and hopefully sets the tone.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

Thus my high amusement levels.

And that video has been taken down as well.

I really don't understand why they don't just publicly release the footage from SDCC. I understand wanting to premiere it there, and maybe waiting a week or two to make it feel a little more exclusive but surely the marketing benefits and money saved from not continually tracking down bootleg videos on the internet would outweigh whatever cons there are.

Comic fans don't need much context to understand those clips, but that footage would just confuse the average person. When it comes to widely releasing video of the Guardians, they'll probably want to present them differently.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I have no idea what's so confusing about space aliens and a machine gun welding raccoon.

People have loved space movies for ages, and raccoons with guns are awesome

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I have no idea what's so confusing about space aliens and a machine gun welding raccoon.

People have loved space movies for ages, and raccoons with guns are awesome

The clip wasn't exactly clear about the fact that the series takes place in space, or that most of the characters are aliens.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Forgot that Kick-Ass 2 comes out this week.

I enjoyed the first, and I'm REALLY curious how the alter the second one from the comic, but Millar is quickly approaching Orson Scott Card level for me, where I don't want to give him any money.

• LikeaBoshLikeaBosh Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Forgot that Kick-Ass 2 comes out this week.

I enjoyed the first, and I'm REALLY curious how the alter the second one from the comic, but Millar is quickly approaching Orson Scott Card level for me, where I don't want to give him any money.

My wife saw some interview Millar did recently that was very misogynistic and said if we're boycotting Ender's Game because of OSC, we're not seeing Kick-Ass 2 either. Ah well. I'm a little bummed about not seeing Hit-Girl being awesome.

This discussion has been closed.