As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Roleplaying Games] Play Everything, Only GM the Games You Want To

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I've got way too many systems right now and not nearly enough game time to play them all. It saddens me. My buddies and I are going to play some blood bowl this fall though, and that should be fun. The two new guys have been part of a league for a few years and they are looking for new blood. Should be fun.

Would playing the video game version help me play the table top version?

play classic

it is the exact same game

fuck gendered marketing
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Guys, I am addicted to this damn Edge of the Empire game. I'm spending all my time reading forums about other people playing EotE while I wait for my weekly game to roll back around.

I'm not even all that big into Star Wars!

Somebody help

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    I just noticed that I have 19 systems on pdf and 3 in paper and the only game I've involved in is Marvel Heroic. I wish my working hours were more stable so I could put together a gaming group, either in RL or through Roll20.

Oh. I see how it is. Hmph.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    I've got way too many systems right now and not nearly enough game time to play them all. It saddens me. My buddies and I are going to play some blood bowl this fall though, and that should be fun. The two new guys have been part of a league for a few years and they are looking for new blood. Should be fun.

play classic

it is the exact same game

Is it worth getting the Chaos edition for $30 with just 3 extra races over the legendary edition for $20?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Guys, I am addicted to this damn Edge of the Empire game. I'm spending all my time reading forums about other people playing EotE while I wait for my weekly game to roll back around.

Somebody help

The best part about Star Wars EU is when it doesn't touch the main plot. And by nearly completely leaving the Jedi out of it, as well as everyone huge in the universe, you pretty much don't have to compare yourself to the main plots.

Honestly, EotE is exactly what I'd like a Star Wars MMO to be like.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Somebody help

The best part about Star Wars EU is when it doesn't touch the main plot. And by nearly completely leaving the Jedi out of it, as well as everyone huge in the universe, you pretty much don't have to compare yourself to the main plots.

You will get a poor WoW clone and you will like it!

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular

Somebody help
    You have taken your first step into a larger world.
    Give in to the Dark Side.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular

Yes, it's a pretty good port. If nothing else it'll get you back in the hang of playing. Though the computer isn't very good and I suspect it cheats its rolls often.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

Somebody help

My favorite moment so far has been our party's face one on one versus an enemy mechanic. They went five rounds and only managed to miss each other and give themselves strain before the mechanic fell off the boarding ramp.

It was epic

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I just noticed that I have 19 systems on pdf and 3 in paper and the only game I've involved in is Marvel Heroic. I wish my working hours were more stable so I could put together a gaming group, either in RL or through Roll20.

Does your game count as a system?

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I wish my payers weren't dumb.

I sent them the Torchbearer PDF.

"This seems really busy, too many active stats etc."

Really? Everything is a skill, or if you don't have it, one of two physical stats, or your nature. We're talking 7-8 different abilities, total.

Pathfinder, which you have no problem with, has like 10 per character.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Ardent wrote: »

Somebody help

You will get a poor WoW clone and you will like it!

The story is pretty good to really good though, depending on which class you pick.

Vanguard wrote: »

Really? Everything is a skill, or if you don't have it, one of two physical stats, or your nature. We're talking 7-8 different abilities, total.

I will bear your torches

fuck gendered marketing
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

Pathfinder operates within existing schema, though. We've all had those same 8 attributes (stats + AC + HP) for decades now. And attacks haven't changed much either.

New ways of thinking about things take up more mental space. We've already got the D&D shelves all set up.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.

Yes, it's a pretty good port. If nothing else it'll get you back in the hang of playing. Though the computer isn't very good and I suspect it cheats its rolls often.

the computer is pretty terrible

like turn 8 reposition cage instead of throwing to the open player terrible

or worse not move thrower and throw directly over my elven catcher terrible

fuck gendered marketing
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2013
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Pathfinder operates within existing schema, though. We've all had those same 8 attributes (stats + AC + HP) for decades now. And attacks haven't changed much either.

New ways of thinking about things take up more mental space. We've already got the D&D shelves all set up.

But it's not even that complicated!

All actions = skills, UNLESS nature is more applicable

If neither apply roll health (if physical) or will (if mental).

That's

It

Vanguard on
    I'm so tempted to run my TB adventure here, as well.

• GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular

Don't give in unless you've got plans to work around what you lose by moving away from tabletop.

Burning-engine games, including Torchbearer, work really well on the tabletop, but when moving to IRC lose the "third-party broker" aspect of deciding a round of actions in advance (which is at least salvageable if your players trust you implicitly) and when moving to asynchronous PBP get seriously bogged down with the help mechanic, where everybody can potentially participate in a help/don't help fashion on every roll.

Glazius wrote: »

Don't give in unless you've got plans to work around what you lose by moving away from tabletop.

Burning-engine games, including Torchbearer, work really well on the tabletop, but when moving to IRC lose the "third-party broker" aspect of deciding a round of actions in advance (which is at least salvageable if your players trust you implicitly) and when moving to asynchronous PBP get seriously bogged down with the help mechanic, where everybody can potentially participate in a help/don't help fashion on every roll.

for some of us tabletop is not an option

fuck gendered marketing
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

Does your game count as a system?
    That's certainly debatable; the only real rule we have is "Do what makes sense narratively". But you said game initially, and it definitely is that.

• GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular

I'm just sayin', from a workflow perspective. You've got to whip 'round the other players when you make a roll and find out if they a) can and b) will help.

This isn't "does this feel right, is this the authentic experience?" This is "how long does this take to get sorted when you're all sat down at table/on a Skype call/behind a chat client/on a forum that gets checked like every half-hour?" Some games that doesn't matter as much as others.

Also seriously I would like to know if people have solutions for these kinds of things because tabletop isn't really an option for me either.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I'm sure it would be fine in play, but on first read through Torchbearer does come over as pretty complex. Lots of different intermeshing moving parts.

MhCw7nZ.gif

I'm just sayin', from a workflow perspective. You've got to whip 'round the other players when you make a roll and find out if they a) can and b) will help.

This isn't "does this feel right, is this the authentic experience?" This is "how long does this take to get sorted when you're all sat down at table/on a Skype call/behind a chat client/on a forum that gets checked like every half-hour?" Some games that doesn't matter as much as others.

Also seriously I would like to know if people have solutions for these kinds of things because tabletop isn't really an option for me either.

I would be running IRC fr sure. Burning games do not work well as PbP.

So why the disliking of voice chats like Skype or Roll20? I'm the kind of person who hates typing (due to Arthritis I have makes typing for a long time without a break painful.)

So why the disliking of voice chats like Skype or Roll20? I'm the kind of person who hates typing (due to Arthritis I have makes typing for a long time without a break painful.)

Skype would be fine for this, maybe even ideal for all non tabletop options.

I'm sure it would be fine in play, but on first read through Torchbearer does come over as pretty complex. Lots of different intermeshing moving parts.

Out of curiosity, what is making this come off as complex?

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Has anyone run any games on Google Hangouts? I kind of like the focus-changing features, but I don't know if there are many tools for dice rolling or conveying of info.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Has anyone run any games on Google Hangouts? I kind of like the focus-changing features, but I don't know if there are many tools for dice rolling or conveying of info.

Roll20 has Google Hangouts integrated into their system...

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I regularly play a Google Hangouts Roll20 game, and it works pretty darn well. Only negative is that it doesn't record the Roll20 window.

edited August 2013

A vast array of things to keep track of with similar sounding names mainly. Almost every roll can be affected by spending something, but keeping track of what something effects which rolls and what the effects of spending it are can be a bit confusing.

The important mechanical difference between tapping your nature, taxing your nature and depleting your nature for example. Fine in practice, a bit more tough on the reading comprehension.

And whether doing something will cost you a 'check' or a 'persona' or a 'fate' and then how in the hell did you get those in order to spend them again?

As I'm getting through the book it's clear it all draws together in the end, but it can get a little hard to get your initial grasp going on something pretty much entirely new in comparison to the familiar frame reference that is D20 systems.

It's fine and it's mostly all on the character sheet in nice references, it just isn't intuitive or familiar right now.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif

I'm the kind of person who hates listening (I can never follow spoken conversations. whee add)

fuck gendered marketing
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    I was involved with both of the stalled attempts at getting an IKRPG game going here. I would love it if someone were to try and fire one up again. I'm itching to play more than just a taste of the game.

Maybe I'll even bust my PBP GM'ing cherry and run one here.
    The IK RPG really sounds like a laser aimed directly at my brain. I know I'll never get to play a RPG game, but I may order the core rulebook just to own it.

The book is a work of art. I like to open it just to admire the pages.

Similarly, the Dresden RPG has loads of character. Lots of post-its, highlighters, and markups by characters from the novels. Mostly it's just color commentary, but it's funny and really gives the book life like I wouldn't have expected.

Let me know if you do pick up IK RPG sometime. I've always wanted to do a game of it.
    Oh, you son of a -

Now how am I supposed to not buy it?

Currently Playing:
    edited August 2013

A vast array of things to keep track of with similar sounding names mainly. Almost every roll can be affected by spending something, but keeping track of what something effects which rolls and what the effects of spending it are can be a bit confusing.

The important mechanical difference between tapping your nature, taxing your nature and depleting your nature for example. Fine in practice, a bit more tough on the reading comprehension.

And whether doing something will cost you a 'check' or a 'persona' or a 'fate' and then how in the hell did you get those in order to spend them again?

As I'm getting through the book it's clear it all draws together in the end, but it can get a little hard to get your initial grasp going on something pretty much entirely new in comparison to the familiar frame reference that is D20 systems.

It's fine and it's mostly all on the character sheet in nice references, it just isn't intuitive or familiar right now.

Nature

If something is within your nature and you don't have the skill, you may roll your current nature rating.

If something is outside of your nature and you don't have the skill, you may roll your current nature rating.

If you fail, your nature is taxed by the margin of failure.

Tapping your nature requires that you spend a persona point. If you do, add your current nature to one of your skills. If it's successful and inside your nature, no tax. If it's successful but outside your nature, Nature is taxed by one. If you fail, your nature is reduced by the margin of failure.

Checks

Checks are earned by using traits against yourself. These are spent to recover during the camp phase or help during the town phase.

Fate

Fate is used to re-roll a single failed die if it's related to one of your wises.

It can also be used for luck. Spending fate on a roll allows you to re-roll any sixes that come up (spend after rolling).

Persona

Persona allows you to re-roll all failed dice on a test that relates to your wises.

You may also use persona to add +1D on a roll (up to three).

You may also use it to tap your Nature, as per the above.

Earning both Fate and Persona is covered in the Reward chapter, page 109. In short, you earn Fate and Persona by playing up or against your Goals/Beliefs/Instincts and being helpful.

Vanguard on
  • LeperLeper Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Oh, you son of a -

- Now how am I supposed to not buy it?
    - Art is frequently repeated/re-used in the book (although it is nice art and at least done appropriately)
    - Typos and editing mistakes are rampant. Spellcheck would have caught more problems than their copy editor.
    - Classes suffer from some odd imbalances (although certainly not as bad as some other systems.)
    - There is a definite tradeoff of out-of-combat utility vs. in-combat utility (although it is tough to make a character that is genuinely useless in either, or worse, both)
    - Combat can be very swingy, depending on how you pass out points, and it's a little tough to find the balance since there isn't a lot of clear advice on "other" circumstances to reward it in. In order to balance out some of the incredibly tank-y talents you have to use monsters lethal enough to demolish other players. Lethality can be difficult to judge, esp. with the hero points allowing sometimes silly or just plain random amounts of healing. (again, it can still be much better in this regard than other systems)
    - Monster design from scratch is a crapshoot, and official design isn't a lot better. You're best finding what works and reskinning it infinitely or doing very small variations.
    - Most supplemental materials suffer heavily from power creep, the rest are of highly dubious ability. (on the other hand, if you're willing to refluff, the original material is pretty well suited to most things you'd want to do.)
    - Class/race barriers are in place, (however you may feel about that) and even when they aren't there are definite combinations that simply will not work effectively.

All-in-all it's still fun and I enjoy it a lot--I'm certainly glad I picked it up, but it's got its foilbles and flaws, too.

Leper on
    If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
    That is less awesome.

Currently Playing:
  • LeperLeper Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Don't get me wrong... if you can afford to buy it, you still probably should. The fluff alone is pretty detailed and a far more interesting read than I had assumed it would be at a glance.

In case you haven't noticed, I have a tendency to be a bit more harsh on systems than your average player. The fact that there's that many positive disclaimers among my complaints should be a hint that it's still a solid system when compared with many others.

Leper on
    If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
    No, no - I got that. It's just that typos burn in my brain.

Currently Playing:
  • OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, I was gonna say, it is a Leper critique. :p

I personally found the layout really nice, but I don't think you addressed it. Granted, you were responding to a fairly specific question.

I remember the typos, and they were disappointing, but (sadly) problems like that have become pretty rampant in game books, and I've had to learn to ignore them; otherwise, I'd never get through most rpg books for all the teeth-gnashing they inspire. I wonder, given how many words and pages are involved, just what the typo ratio is.

From a technical standpoint, it is fairly apparent that the writers don't share my obsession with good syntax. Few do, though, and at the end of the day I think the underlying content is pretty amazing.

OminousLozenge on
    Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    No, no - I got that. It's just that typos burn in my brain.
    I have a third edition L5R core book that I can't bear to open for this reason.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    Rah rah rah

Yeah I know, I get it fine. I was just explaining how it can come over as a bit complex on the first read.

MhCw7nZ.gif
This discussion has been closed.