As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Roleplaying Games] Play Everything, Only GM the Games You Want To

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    I wonder if theres some like business software that lets you rearrange notes spatially in a shared environment

Google Draw, share with the other players, give them modify permission, use text boxes in place of note cards. As long as everyone manages not to alter the text, it'll work. You can even color code the boxes if that's a thing in the game.

oh we did this

it still took forever

fuck gendered marketing
  • OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    I wonder if theres some like business software that lets you rearrange notes spatially in a shared environment

Google Draw, share with the other players, give them modify permission, use text boxes in place of note cards. As long as everyone manages not to alter the text, it'll work. You can even color code the boxes if that's a thing in the game.

Holy fuck this is an amazing idea. You are the best.

Just remember to set the page size nice and big, and you should be golden. You can also make a box with the right font and text size, make it the "stack," and have people copy-paste that when they need to make a new note.

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    I've wanted to play Dresden Files since I'm a fan of the book series. I've just never gotten around to buying the handbooks.
    I really recommend them; Harry, Bob, and Will make notes throughout.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    What about Murphy? Id love to see one of SIs "official reports".

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Actually, you could probably do it in Google docks using an excel sheet. Color code Events, periods, and scenes differently, insert them as necessary.

It would be weird to have fun with excel.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    No, she's not involved -- which rather makes sense, because the game is aimed more at the supernatural side, and she has a perspective very different from the three who are commenting. Not that I wouldn't enjoy Butcher adding some musings from her in there.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    No, she's not involved -- which rather makes sense, because the game is aimed more at the supernatural side, and she has a perspective very different from the three who are commenting. Not that I wouldn't enjoy Butcher adding some musings from her in there.

I understand that but she and the whole SI team are the normal people who deal with this shit daily. And she is more involved in this series then Will, to be honest. I'm not that interested in his stuff as I would be of hers. Or Molly... That reminds me I haven't read the newest book... Amazon GO!

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Leper wrote: »
    From my very limited look at it, it seems that if you were determined to use a grid, it wouldn't be that hard. Just assume 1 square = 1" and that people in adjacent squares are engaged/engaging. You could keep the templates and just treat each character’s square as its base for the purpose of determining hits, etc.

I’m sure it gets more complex than that, but you could probably get around it.
    My players can't function without a grid, (and are the kind of folks that would have seen a tape measure and screamed "WARGAME!!! ONOES WE CANT ARRPEE!!!" ( :oops: ) and we did the above almost word-for-word, with the exception that we assumed engaged characters shared a square or squares. While I'll confess we didn't try it without the grid, it did seem to make things move a lot smoother than busting out the measuring tape every time something changed positions.

Playing without a grid harkens back to my AD&D/Rifts/Robotech/Shadowrun/Deadlands/Blue Planet/3.0 days. Its not that hard and might require some creativity and imagination from a group. Maybe a little fudging on things like movement/range and available cover. "Sure, there's a crate over there you can dive behind for cover, go for it." But that may best work with a live group, where back and forth questions between players and GM's take 2 minutes and not 2 days.

I too would fester with annoyance at pulling out a tape measure though. Not for lack of RPing, but rather that it just seems wrong and needlessly complicated. But working with a grid in the context of IKRPG really isn't that complex. As has been said, just treat 1 square as 1 inch and you're in business. Especially for a PBP style game, interpreting a combat map as a grid would make things move along smoothly I would imagine.

Steelhawk on
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular

I understand that but she and the whole SI team are the normal people who deal with this shit daily. And she is more involved in this series then Will, to be honest. I'm not that interested in his stuff as I would be of hers. Or Molly... That reminds me I haven't read the newest book... Amazon GO!

Right, but Will is the main gamer nerd in the series, so he's (hypothetically) the main guy compiling the rulebooks.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Ok, you bastards.

I walk into my FLGS yesterday, intent on picking up the Civil War book for MHRPG. Then I see that they have Fate Core, and I've been meaning to pick up a physical copy of that. Then I turn the display and 13th age is sitting there, starring at me.

I have no idea when I'll get a chance to run this, but I own it now. And it's your fault. All of your faults.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    One of us. One of us. One of Us.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Ok, you bastards.

I walk into my FLGS yesterday, intent on picking up the Civil War book for MHRPG. Then I see that they have Fate Core, and I've been meaning to pick up a physical copy of that. Then I turn the display and 13th age is sitting there, starring at me.

I have no idea when I'll get a chance to run this, but I own it now. And it's your fault. All of your faults.

Mine is still up in the air.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »

Is it arriving by dirigible?

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
    edited August 2013
    bss wrote: »
    poshniallo wrote: »

Is it arriving by dirigible?

Apparently. Or just weather balloon. They tie the book to one and puff really hard in the direction of Asia.

poshniallo on
    And now to delve into the material the same way I always do with new D&D books; Dark Sun conversion.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    And now to delve into the material the same way I always do with new D&D books; Dark Sun conversion.

The guy who wrote Dark Sun is going to kickstart another setting soon. It will be 13th Age compatible if an early stretch goal is met. I'll have to see if it does before I pitch in.

Anialos wrote: »

The guy who wrote Dark Sun is going to kickstart another setting soon. It will be 13th Age compatible if an early stretch goal is met. I'll have to see if it does before I pitch in.

What's the name of it? Links aren't OK, but names are.

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Well, it isn't on KS yet, so here is a link to them talking about it!

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I do need to plant new seeds in my Kickstarter Garden. All my surprise gifts to myself have shown up and I don't think I have much left in the queue.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I would spend money on new game systems, but I know I'm never going to play them.

Instead, I buy new toys to "enhance the gaming experience and sense of immersion at the table" (as I tell my bank balance).

That's mainly expressing itself in dice right now. My Shadowrun dwarf grew up in Vegas, so I grabbed a pack of red "Fabulous Las Vegas" dice online.

I'm playing a Hebrew merchant in an upcoming Ars Magica campaign, so I just bought this d10:
    JB_Dice%20-%2010D%20-%20Koplow%20Hebrew%20Numbers%20White%20and%20Blue%20Die%20-%20Troll%20and%20Toad%20Dec%202010.jpg

Tell me I'm not alone.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Ok, yeah. Not buying a prog rock album disguised as a D&D setting.

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular

Saw the logo, said "Nope." and closed the tab.

But I've been in kind of a mean mood lately so probably just ignore me.

Denada wrote: »

Saw the logo, said "Nope." and closed the tab.

But I've been in kind of a mean mood lately so probably just ignore me.
    You missed this, then;
    Right now I believe that will include:

· A progressive rock CD
    · An art-intensive ‘album’ or ‘concert’ style book that expands heavily on each song (with lyrics, more stories, maps, specific art, etc.)
    · A hardbound game book

Maybe I'm just being silly, but that's exactly the wrong order to list the contents of this theoretical product in.

"Surprise gifts to myself" is the best way to describe and use Kickstarter. Things I'll probably like just randomly show up!

That said I'm also waiting to see on the Dark Sun with the WotC filed off. I agree that the priorities seem out of whack but maybe it's crazy enough to work.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

This is the best kind of news. The best.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Oooh I just remembered that the dwarven forge stuff should coming in the next couple months hopefully.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I would spend money on new game systems, but I know I'm never going to play them.

Instead, I buy new toys to "enhance the gaming experience and sense of immersion at the table" (as I tell my bank balance).

That's mainly expressing itself in dice right now. My Shadowrun dwarf grew up in Vegas, so I grabbed a pack of red "Fabulous Las Vegas" dice online.

I'm playing a Hebrew merchant in an upcoming Ars Magica campaign, so I just bought this d10:
    JB_Dice%20-%2010D%20-%20Koplow%20Hebrew%20Numbers%20White%20and%20Blue%20Die%20-%20Troll%20and%20Toad%20Dec%202010.jpg

Tell me I'm not alone.

I don't own that d10

but Ars Magica is amazing

Ok, super first-drafty shot at Dark Sun Icons.
    The Avangion
    Formerly, and still in some ways, Korgunard of Urik, the Avangion is a transformed being of immense arcane power. Dedicated to the use and propogation of preserver magic, Korgunard finds himself the de facto leader of the Veiled Alliance in Urik and a symbol for it's cause across the Tyr Region. A ceaseless foe of defilers, the Avangion has many very powerful enemies, but the budding of the current age of freedom and openness on Athas has seen the development of allies as well, scattered and disorganized as they might be.

The Coming Storm
    Named for the omen he was born under, Stormcloud was a gladiatorial slave in Gulg until he won his position in the Hunter's Dagada. The sudden elevation is status would have led many to revel in their new lifestyle, but Stormcloud's dwarven blood and long incarceration had given rise to a Focus that would not be denied; the freedom of all sentient beings on Athas. When his attempts to use his new position to free the slaves of Gulg failed, and the resulting violent uprising was quashed, Stormcloud took to the forests around the city to avoid reprisals from the Forest Goddess. Freed or escaped slaves have been rallying to his cause in the decade since, and numerous uprisings have claimed him as a figure in their rebellion, though most of them do so spuriously. With his numbers swelling, Stormcloud is finding it harder and harder to remain a hidden force for freedom. He may soon be forced to act openly by shear weight of numbers.

The Dragon
    An ancient being of almost unimaginable power, the Dragon has stalked the wastes of Athas since the green age. The beast is a defiler on a scale almost unimaginable to most, consuming entire settlements in his thirst for power. The little known truth is that the Dragon sees himself as the defender of this world, having been tasked ages ago with preventing the incursion of otherworldly forces, divine, infernal or otherwise. It is his gift to the people of Athas that they might rule themselves, rather than being ruled by forces beyond their kien.

The Dread King

Two thousand years ago, an exceedingly rare thing occured; an alliance between Sorceror Kings. Another of their number, Dregoth of Guistenal, was on the verge of completing a series of rituals that would have elevated him above his peers, possibly even giving him complete control of the Tyr Region. To prevent this from happening, the other monarchs banded together and laid waste to his kingdom, burying him within it. Defeat, and even death, have done little to quench Dregoth's thirst for power. He has amassed an undead army, and created a race of draconic generals to lead it. For now he bides his time, building his forces and acting surreptitiously against his slayers. When he has gathered enough strength, he will lay waste to the kingdoms of his brothers and sisters, claiming them for his own.

The Khan
    Ambitious and ruthless, the Tondi clan Khan, Atark Aakusk, has transformed his clan from the untouchables of Kreen society into a force to be reckoned with. Their meteoric rise has caused no small amount of friction with the other Khanates, some of whom lost prime migration routes to this upstart clan. Atark is willing to do whatever it takes to establish and maintain the position of his Khanate, whether that means expanding Kreen territory into the populated regions of the Ivory Triangle or even making war on his fellow Khans. Some say that Atark sees himself as the Haazt, the Khan of Khans that will unite the Kreen peoples, but he has yet to declare such a thing publicly.

The Pyreen
    Among the last and greatest creations of the ancient halfling nature-masters, the Pyreen has wandered the surface of Athas since it first rose out of the oceans of the Blue Age. Though she may not be the last of her kind, her brothers and sisters haven't made the sacred pilgrimage to the tower in several ages. In their absence, she stands as a lone guardian of life on Athas, and of the ancient halfling's plans for it. She has seen many setbacks in the last few ages, and it may soon be necessary for her to take a more direct hand in putting the development of Athasian lifeforms back on the proper track.

The Restorer
    Far out on the edges of the Tyr Region, nestled in the protection of the Ringing Mountains, King Orionis rules the seemingly utopian kingdom of Kurn. One of Rajaat's original disciples, then called Keltis, this warrior-monarch still holds the ideals of a green and fertile Athas close to his heart. Though the ends he seeks are undoubtedly good for the health of the world as a whole, his methods still carry a strong measure of Rajaat's ruthlessness and uncompromising vision.

The Shadow Sorceress

In the City States, ilicit elven markets supply less-than-legal goods to everyone from slaves to the Sorceror Kings themselves. Though this sort of illegal activity has earned the elven people a reputation for being unreliable criminals, it has also secured them a huge amount of soft power in the more civilized areas of Athas. The markets themselves are decentralized, but the elven traders all answer back to the same person; their merchant queen, Verusa Kha. From her hidden fortress, Kha controls the flow of illicit trade & other criminal activity, and trains other elves in the ways of magic. Rumors persist that she also offers even less savory services, such as assassination and slave procurement, to those who can afford it, or can offer some equally valuable service in return.

The True King
    Though his rule was ended and his city was taken by usurpers, Kalak has not been truly defeated. Those who now control Tyr think him dead, an assumption that the True King is more than willing to let them live with while he regains his strength. Aided by a core group of his former templars and a growing cult of followers, Kalak acts to undermine the position of the ruling parties in his rightful city while also destroying or diverting potential threats to the city itself. Once he regains his former glory, he needs a proper kingdom to rule, after all.

The Tyrian Triumvirate
    Following the rebellion that ended with the death of King Kalak, the leaders of the rebel forces became the ruling triumvirate of the city state. Though their allegiance is fragile, and each pursues their own agendas, the former templar Tithian, the courageous gladiator Rikus and the sorceress Sadira have been effective at uniting the competing power blocks and keeping the city from tearing itself apart in the aftermath of the uprising. As their local situation stabilizes, the three begin looking to secure Tyr's place as a power in the region.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I was this close to buying Fate today. And then I didn't, for some reason.

The Avangion
    Formerly, and still in some ways, Korgunard of Urik, the Avangion is a transformed being of immense arcane power. Dedicated to the use and propogation of preserver magic, Korgunard finds himself the de facto leader of the Veiled Alliance in Urik and a symbol for it's cause across the Tyr Region. A ceaseless foe of defilers, the Avangion has many very powerful enemies, but the budding of the current age of freedom and openness on Athas has seen the development of allies as well, scattered and disorganized as they might be.

The Coming Storm
    Named for the omen he was born under, Stormcloud was a gladiatorial slave in Gulg until he won his position in the Hunter's Dagada. The sudden elevation is status would have led many to revel in their new lifestyle, but Stormcloud's dwarven blood and long incarceration had given rise to a Focus that would not be denied; the freedom of all sentient beings on Athas. When his attempts to use his new position to free the slaves of Gulg failed, and the resulting violent uprising was quashed, Stormcloud took to the forests around the city to avoid reprisals from the Forest Goddess. Freed or escaped slaves have been rallying to his cause in the decade since, and numerous uprisings have claimed him as a figure in their rebellion, though most of them do so spuriously. With his numbers swelling, Stormcloud is finding it harder and harder to remain a hidden force for freedom. He may soon be forced to act openly by shear weight of numbers.

The Dragon
    An ancient being of almost unimaginable power, the Dragon has stalked the wastes of Athas since the green age. The beast is a defiler on a scale almost unimaginable to most, consuming entire settlements in his thirst for power. The little known truth is that the Dragon sees himself as the defender of this world, having been tasked ages ago with preventing the incursion of otherworldly forces, divine, infernal or otherwise. It is his gift to the people of Athas that they might rule themselves, rather than being ruled by forces beyond their kien.

The Dread King

Two thousand years ago, an exceedingly rare thing occured; an alliance between Sorceror Kings. Another of their number, Dregoth of Guistenal, was on the verge of completing a series of rituals that would have elevated him above his peers, possibly even giving him complete control of the Tyr Region. To prevent this from happening, the other monarchs banded together and laid waste to his kingdom, burying him within it. Defeat, and even death, have done little to quench Dregoth's thirst for power. He has amassed an undead army, and created a race of draconic generals to lead it. For now he bides his time, building his forces and acting surreptitiously against his slayers. When he has gathered enough strength, he will lay waste to the kingdoms of his brothers and sisters, claiming them for his own.

The Khan
    Ambitious and ruthless, the Tondi clan Khan, Atark Aakusk, has transformed his clan from the untouchables of Kreen society into a force to be reckoned with. Their meteoric rise has caused no small amount of friction with the other Khanates, some of whom lost prime migration routes to this upstart clan. Atark is willing to do whatever it takes to establish and maintain the position of his Khanate, whether that means expanding Kreen territory into the populated regions of the Ivory Triangle or even making war on his fellow Khans. Some say that Atark sees himself as the Haazt, the Khan of Khans that will unite the Kreen peoples, but he has yet to declare such a thing publicly.

The Pyreen
    Among the last and greatest creations of the ancient halfling nature-masters, the Pyreen has wandered the surface of Athas since it first rose out of the oceans of the Blue Age. Though she may not be the last of her kind, her brothers and sisters haven't made the sacred pilgrimage to the tower in several ages. In their absence, she stands as a lone guardian of life on Athas, and of the ancient halfling's plans for it. She has seen many setbacks in the last few ages, and it may soon be necessary for her to take a more direct hand in putting the development of Athasian lifeforms back on the proper track.

The Restorer
    Far out on the edges of the Tyr Region, nestled in the protection of the Ringing Mountains, King Orionis rules the seemingly utopian kingdom of Kurn. One of Rajaat's original disciples, then called Keltis, this warrior-monarch still holds the ideals of a green and fertile Athas close to his heart. Though the ends he seeks are undoubtedly good for the health of the world as a whole, his methods still carry a strong measure of Rajaat's ruthlessness and uncompromising vision.

The Shadow Sorceress

In the City States, ilicit elven markets supply less-than-legal goods to everyone from slaves to the Sorceror Kings themselves. Though this sort of illegal activity has earned the elven people a reputation for being unreliable criminals, it has also secured them a huge amount of soft power in the more civilized areas of Athas. The markets themselves are decentralized, but the elven traders all answer back to the same person; their merchant queen, Verusa Kha. From her hidden fortress, Kha controls the flow of illicit trade & other criminal activity, and trains other elves in the ways of magic. Rumors persist that she also offers even less savory services, such as assassination and slave procurement, to those who can afford it, or can offer some equally valuable service in return.

The True King
    Though his rule was ended and his city was taken by usurpers, Kalak has not been truly defeated. Those who now control Tyr think him dead, an assumption that the True King is more than willing to let them live with while he regains his strength. Aided by a core group of his former templars and a growing cult of followers, Kalak acts to undermine the position of the ruling parties in his rightful city while also destroying or diverting potential threats to the city itself. Once he regains his former glory, he needs a proper kingdom to rule, after all.

The Tyrian Triumvirate
    Following the rebellion that ended with the death of King Kalak, the leaders of the rebel forces became the ruling triumvirate of the city state. Though their allegiance is fragile, and each pursues their own agendas, the former templar Tithian, the courageous gladiator Rikus and the sorceress Sadira have been effective at uniting the competing power blocks and keeping the city from tearing itself apart in the aftermath of the uprising. As their local situation stabilizes, the three begin looking to secure Tyr's place as a power in the region.

Do you mind if I share this with the 13th Age G+ community?

The Avangion

The Coming Storm

The Dragon

The Dread King

The Khan

The Pyreen

The Restorer

The Shadow Sorceress

The True King

The Tyrian Triumvirate

Do you mind if I share this with the 13th Age G+ community?
    Not at all.

Bear in mind that some of that isn't strictly canonical, per the official setting materials. I filled in some gaps with my personal campaign events and just straight made up some of those people.

I should really finish my embellishing of the icons for the modern era some time. Since, you know, I have a group pretty much waiting for me to do that.

... D:

bss wrote: »
    I should really finish my embellishing of the icons for the modern era some time. Since, you know, I have a group pretty much waiting for me to do that.

... D:

I've decided on some for my Forgotten Realms 4e game, should they wish to change.

This group has a 4e Dark Sun and a 4e custom setting going as well. We're excited to play "as inspired by Urban Arcana/Hellboy/Shadowrun/whatever else..." style adventures with punk rocker bards and roided out constructor worker barbarians.

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    It was not your Fate.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
    Ardent wrote: »
    It was not your Fate.

I don't really have a regular group, so it would just be to read for the moment. Torchbearer starts this Thursday, but I have one player who thinks it's odd, another player who has read "some" of the PDF who will roll the most complicated character, and another player who will likely be going in blind.

And then I play in a Burning Wheel game nice a month.

When I grabbed 13th Age I was actually in the shop looking for Dresden Files, which I just started a game of last night.

I watched one of my fellow players get wrecked up by some black vampires to the point where he's hospitalized for probably the next whole session at the rate we're going.

But I got to shoot some dudes with my God-Gun and make cowboy quips. Our party has a median age of around 60. It's like grumpy old men meets The Expendables meets Tombstone and it's pretty great so far.

• Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    the dresden files is quite awesome, sounds like your game is pretty fantastic

where's it set?

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    It was not your Fate.

I don't really have a regular group, so it would just be to read for the moment. Torchbearer starts this Thursday, but I have one player who thinks it's odd, another player who has read "some" of the PDF who will roll the most complicated character, and another player who will likely be going in blind.

Meatspace played D&D (3.5) for a long time, we've just switched to FATE for our Agents of Odin shenanigans. It's been like Get Smart meets Archer meets Robot Chicken.

I just handed off the 13th Age core rulebook and I expect by the time we're out of alcohol and one-liners we'll be ready to give that a run. After that we'll probably do hard-sci FATE for a while.

I don't think most groups are happy in just one game engine, although I'm sure someone will be through in a moment to deliver the gospel of the One True Game Engine.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
    It was not your Fate.

Meatspace played D&D (3.5) for a long time, we've just switched to FATE for our Agents of Odin shenanigans. It's been like Get Smart meets Archer meets Robot Chicken.

I just handed off the 13th Age core rulebook and I expect by the time we're out of alcohol and one-liners we'll be ready to give that a run. After that we'll probably do hard-sci FATE for a while.

I don't think most groups are happy in just one game engine, although I'm sure someone will be through in a moment to deliver the gospel of the One True Game Engine.

I'm definitely not content with one game system, but I do have favorites. The problem is convincing others to cast off their 20-sided shackles.

This discussion has been closed.