As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comics in Movies and Beyond: The Sequeling

19495969798100»

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    It's not really the same thing because Millar isn't donating his time and money to marginalizing women, which is what OSC does by participating in NOM.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    They're ad execs. Fuck 'em.

Thus my high amusement levels.

And that video has been taken down as well.

I really don't understand why they don't just publicly release the footage from SDCC. I understand wanting to premiere it there, and maybe waiting a week or two to make it feel a little more exclusive but surely the marketing benefits and money saved from not continually tracking down bootleg videos on the internet would outweigh whatever cons there are.

Comic fans don't need much context to understand those clips, but that footage would just confuse the average person. When it comes to widely releasing video of the Guardians, they'll probably want to present them differently.

They don't have to actively market or promote it, just put it up quietly. But yeah, it would be shared around and non-comic fans would see it so I can see your point.

• MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    Don't forget that the GotG footage is after all of 2 weeks of shooting combined with their initial CG effects - it looks pretty good as grainy cell-phone footage but a full HD version might make the "earliness" of the footage much more apparent. They're not going to release anything to public officially until it's at final cut quality.

Don't forget this movie is like a year out, so it's way too early to start the hype train. Keep it viral now to get the fanboys and internet savvy all excited, then break out the big marketing guns for the general public around the time Captain America is released.

• MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    MetalMagus wrote: »
    Pretty much all of the Comic Con and Disney event footage is floating around now - just barely keeping ahead of the Disney C&D emails.

I've seen the clips from Captain America, Thor, GotG, and the Avengers 2 trailer. Cap and Thor look good, GotG looks amazing, Avengers isn't anything to write home about.

Public Service announcement - if you start seeing stories about how Marvel's movie-based toy line may have spoiled something in Captain America DO NOT CLICK THAT FUCKING LINK. It's a possible spoiler so mind-blowing it'll steal your soul (even if it's still just speculation at this point).

Are you saying the footage from Avengers 2 looks bad...or just doesn't make an impression one way or the other?

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    First trailer for Fables: The Wolf Among Us

http://youtu.be/8J_SbffvglE

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I would be fine with that.
    bring retcons to the movieworld!

What exactly would be the
    Retcon?

the idea that somewhere
    and hopefully with one of the recent movies, Fury was replaced by Red Skull. Let it be during the Avengers, that he teamed up to fight the aliens simply to save the Earth so he could destroy it.

Although to be completely honest in Cap 2 I think they're going to go with
    Redford as Red Skull because their names, duh.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Olorin wrote: »
    Pretty much all of the Comic Con and Disney event footage is floating around now - just barely keeping ahead of the Disney C&D emails.

I've seen the clips from Captain America, Thor, GotG, and the Avengers 2 trailer. Cap and Thor look good, GotG looks amazing, Avengers isn't anything to write home about.

Public Service announcement - if you start seeing stories about how Marvel's movie-based toy line may have spoiled something in Captain America DO NOT CLICK THAT FUCKING LINK. It's a possible spoiler so mind-blowing it'll steal your soul (even if it's still just speculation at this point).

Are you saying the footage from Avengers 2 looks bad...or just doesn't make an impression one way or the other?
    There is no Avengers 2 footage. They just released a teaser constng of a voice-over and some cgi of a machine crafting Ultrons head, iirc.

• MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    Olorin wrote: »

There is no Avengers 2 footage. They just released a teaser constng of a voice-over and some cgi of a machine crafting Ultrons head, iirc.

Ah gotcha. I can see why that would be underwhelming.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Forgot that Kick-Ass 2 comes out this week.

I enjoyed the first, and I'm REALLY curious how the alter the second one from the comic, but Millar is quickly approaching Orson Scott Card level for me, where I don't want to give him any money.

Millar's movie adaptions are less terrible than his comics. I enjoyed the Kick-Ass movie immensely and have heard they're avoiding the controversial scenes from the comic where
    the dog gets decapitated and Kick-Ass girlfriend is raped.
    That was a condition for Chris Mintz-Plasse returning.
    Don't forget that the GotG footage is after all of 2 weeks of shooting combined with their initial CG effects - it looks pretty good as grainy cell-phone footage but a full HD version might make the "earliness" of the footage much more apparent. They're not going to release anything to public officially until it's at final cut quality.

Don't forget this movie is like a year out, so it's way too early to start the hype train. Keep it viral now to get the fanboys and internet savvy all excited, then break out the big marketing guns for the general public around the time Captain America is released.

I'm very impressed with the footage they shot and the special effects so early into production.

Harry Dresden on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    rape in comics is always terribly, terribly done

comic book storytellers; do not use rape in stories

yes, even you

no, your idea is not the exception

stop that

cease

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    First trailer for Fables: The Wolf Among Us

http://youtu.be/8J_SbffvglE

I did not know about this. Now I am throwing money at my monitor.

My coworkers are looking at me funny.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    I downloaded the video. I'll see about hosting it for those of you who didn't see it or download it yourselves.

But we'll always have the Rocket gif. It's all over tumblr now.

I love how fucked up people are that one of M-P's lines in the sand was killing a dog. ignore the entire rest of the murder and destruction in that abomination of a comic.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I have no idea what's so confusing about space aliens and a machine gun welding raccoon.

People have loved space movies for ages, and raccoons with guns are awesome

The clip wasn't exactly clear about the fact that the series takes place in space, or that most of the characters are aliens.

I'm sure future trailers will be directed at the masses rather then at the fans who don't need name tags to recognize the GotG.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I downloaded the video. I'll see about hosting it for those of you who didn't see it or download it yourselves.

But we'll always have the Rocket gif. It's all over tumblr now.

God, one grainy video and Rocket is already doing exactly what Disney and marvel need too.

This movie is going to be huge.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Social media isn't a very good barometer on things (which is actually a good thing). Look at Sharknado, all this ridiculous hype and jokes and tweets but the ratings showed nominal increases at best compared to other Asylum SyFy movies. Or Snakes on a Plane being ho-hum in sales.

What it does do is support the existing fanbase's opinion/faith in the idea and keep them interested, so you'll have a more guaranteed amount of eyes come release date.

I liked what I saw, and something about calling them a-holes instead of assholes just made it funnier.

I guess. I just notice it as one of the mpaa's more asinine and arbitrary lines in the sand that you can add any suffix to ass except "hole," And any prefix to hole except "ass."

But my favorite explanation for why Snakes and Lebowski didn't do well in theaters is because you can't smoke weed in theaters (except in WA and CO now).

I don't know. Way more people know about a lot of things than watch them, e.g. any HBO series, because of social media and word of mouth. That doesn't invalidate them.

I figure even though Disney gutted Pixar like a fish and spread their assets throughout the empire, it is the same company that sold the public on those unusual premises. And clearly they're not swinging for home base like the godawful stupid John carter ads.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Time for a new thread.

This discussion has been closed.