As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Saints Row 4 Thread: Supervillain Sandbox Shenanigans! Get it August 20/23!

DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
edited August 2013 in Social Entropy++
In Saints Row 4, the protagonist, a career criminal and pop culture icon known as The Boss, has become President of the United States of America. He selects his homies to fill the cabinent, and then aliens invade during a press conference and put everyone on earth in an individually-tailored oppressive simulation to break their will! President Boss says"Not in my America!" and his homie Kenzie hacks his simulation to give him superpowers. And he goes forth to liberate his allies, America and the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzKr5zyzplE&list=PL66Y-U6XiSG2AdBTWfRjvhw8ItsMpOCJR&index=20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ-NcnVHzIo&list=PL66Y-U6XiSG2AdBTWfRjvhw8ItsMpOCJR&index=11

The review embargo has ended, and things are looking good!

Mr. G wrote: »

4 stars for Saints Row IV
Saints Row IV builds on the style and sense of humor of the previous game really well, even if it leans a little too heavily on its predecessor at times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDlCc6MSmC8

Saints Row IV builds off of Saints Row: The Third's successful break from the open-world crime game norm in plenty of successful ways by giving you new abilities and options set in an increasingly ridiculous world that gets wrapped around some solid, funny writing. In plenty of ways it's all-but-identical to the previous game, but plenty of deviations both big and small make it feel quite different. On the small side, a more-focused track through the game's side missions makes it more enjoyable to see and do everything the game has to offer. On the large side, the developers at Volition effectively created "Lewd Crackdown" by imbuing your cyber-President with the ability to leap over buildings, glide around the city, and collect hundreds and hundreds of orbs. Clusters! Sorry, they're called clusters. Orbs, sheesh, where did that come from?

The story picks up where The Third left off, more or less, with a quick escalation and a five-year flash forward to the point where the boss of the Saints (that's you) is now the President of the United States. Oh, and then there's an alien invasion courtesy of the Zin, your main enemy for the bulk of the game. The alien leader, Zinyak, tosses you and your crew in a Matrix-like computer simulation of Steelport, the same city from the previous game. Since real-world rules don't apply in this oppressive simulation, things quickly spiral out until you can run faster than cars, jump higher than buildings, and shoot freeze blasts out of your fists. This, as you might expect, changes everything.

The developers' willingness to utterly deprecate major parts of the previous game is really interesting. Why would you ever drive or upgrade a car once you can run faster than the game's fastest vehicles? Grenades and other thrown weapons are completely replaced by a trio of super abilities and the weapon tree gets blown out with guns that shoot black holes, alien rockets, or the healing--sorry, destructive--power of dubstep. It makes a game that was already pretty goofy even goofier. And throwing the vast majority of the game into a "dark" simulated version of the city of Saints Row: The Third makes the whole thing feel like some elaborate expansion or mod, rather than a full-fledged sequel. Obviously, that has good and bad baggage associated with it. Returning to the city makes for interesting story setups and remembrances of the previous game, but even if you're gliding over all of it and ignoring most of its structure, it occasionally doesn't feel like something that stands on its own.

Actually, the story leans pretty heavily on your knowledge of Saints Row: The Third, to the point where I'd probably recommend playing that game first if you haven't already. Crazily enough, it also throws back to the first two games in some key ways, but missing these references won't leave you struggling too much--also those games are a lot harder to go back to at this point. The story goes in some interesting directions by occasionally focusing more on the characters around you and giving you some insight into their past and present motivations. These missions are the best part about Saints Row IV, and in many cases, they give the characters more depth than you'd expect from what might otherwise look like one 17-hour Matrix-meets-Mass-Effect gag. Unfortunately, a few opportunities for character building are really squandered, leaving all the interactions with one highly anticipated return character feeling completely flat.

That 17-hour number isn't something I just pulled out of the air, by the way. That's about how long it took me to complete Saints Row IV, including all of the side missions (most of which with silver or gold medals) and with copious amounts of time devoted to collecting well over a thousand of the clusters. The game is shorter, but in a way that comes off as more focused. The side missions are offered up to you in batches, so if you like, you can let the game guide you from one task to the next, with a bonus item or buff waiting for each group you complete. Or you can run around as before and just complete the tasks as you find them, and the game will adjust accordingly and not force you to complete the missions twice. It's a smart adjustment that makes the tasks far more manageable while giving you meaningful rewards for your efforts.

Visually, Saints Row IV has the capacity to look better than the previous game. The moodier lighting of the simulation and the way the walls occasionally swim as the simulation's textures animate across the sides of buildings is a nice effect, and things even look nice when you're flying high above the city. But from a tech perspective, it's mostly on-par with Saints Row 3. The characters models are roughly identical, the weapon effects are often similar, and so on. It's not a huge leap forward, even if the game's engine is better at serving up its polygons and textures at high speeds. Also, I can only say this about the PC version of the game.

Not to sound elitist, but going from the PC version of Saints Row IV to the Xbox 360 version of the game was enough to make me think that they maybe shouldn't have released this game on consoles. The frame rate of Saints Row: The Third wasn't pretty on consoles, and the bigger ask related to your character's speed and mobility make this game run even worse. The frame rate is rarely acceptable and on top of that, the game likes to hitch up completely for a bit when it autosaves. Making precision landings and lining up headshots is more difficult with its rotten frame rate, and the game is, overall, less fun on the Xbox 360 than it is on a proper PC as a result.

That said, I enjoyed it a great deal, and parts of this game almost feel like they've been specifically tailored to my interests. I mean, Riff Raff hosts one of the radio stations. That's a great choice. The game is packed with some great moments that subvert the open-world crime genre even further than SR3 did, it's funny, and its references aren't just lazily tossed off, they're earned. You'll feel like you've played some of this before, but if you're at all interested in Saints Row's brand of weird, it's absolutely vital.

Play it on PC, though.

Mr. G wrote: »
Surprisingly, Jeff's review is one of the more critical ones

Glowing review from Rock Paper Shotgun

9/10 from PC Gamer, declared "one of the most fun games I've ever played"

5 Stars from Joystiq

9/10 from Polygon

DouglasDanger on

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty excited for this game and I can't wait for it to come out

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm really looking forward to it. I kept my anticipation in check for the most part, so I don't think I will be disappointed. I'm guilty of over-hyping things to myself and then the game can never live up to my daydreams.

@Idolninja, who made the awesome PC mods for SR2 and SR3, has written a review
    http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/idolninjas-saints-row-iv-review.3133/

I hope I can find someone to play co-op with me.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I desperately, desperately want to play this game

Everything I've heard makes it sound like gangbusters

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I preordered this! Looking forward to playing it.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    It is worth noting IGN gave it a 7.4

But the complaint was mostly that you are "too powerful"

Which I feel misses the point?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    It is worth noting IGN gave it a 7.4

But the complaint was mostly that you are "too powerful"

Which I feel misses the point?

Dude, by the end of Third, you could literally invincible to all damage

Darn tootin' it misses the point

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Not sure if I'm going to be rowing on the 360 or PS3. I'm basically waiting to hear if there's a performance difference.

But on Tuesday, I'm gonna be all "Third street Third Street Third Street" for days.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Not sure if I'm going to be rowing on the 360 or PS3. I'm basically waiting to hear if there's a performance difference.

But on Tuesday, I'm gonna be all "Third street Third Street Third Street" for days.

according to jeff gerstmann, the 360 has severe performance issues. no word on ps3, though to be honest if you have the option to play it on PC, you should do that

according to jeff gerstmann, the 360 has severe performance issues. no word on ps3, though to be honest if you have the option to play it on PC, you should do that

Jeff tweeted that his 4/5 changes to a 3/5 for the 360 version.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    After watching several Lets Plays by the Rooster Teeth guys for GTA IV, I really want a similar multiplayer for Saints IV.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I've already pre-ordered this, can't wait for it.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    just pre-ordered on Steam

bring it on

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I am glad Kenzie is back!

tia

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Oh god, there's a context-sensitive romance action.

Oh my god, romance Keith David.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    also I don't know if I should do Northboss first time out or not

SO im getting this for PS3 day one, but with the Modding becoming a thing, i will also be getting it for Steam eventually.

Nolan North boss is great...

but Troy Baker completely owns this role.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    You can customize the pitch of your voice?!

b1ehrMM.gif
    Obviously the answer is you have to do co-op as Nolan North with someone else as Troy Baker.

SO im getting this for PS3 day one, but with the Modding becoming a thing, i will also be getting it for Steam eventually.

you're honestly better off just getting it for steam first

the game has performance issues on consoles, apparently

given the option sure, but preorder is done and i don't mind double dipping with products i enjoy.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    As I said in the G&T thread, the fact that I cannot have my boss with an eastern european/Russian accent is a goddamn shame. Still going to preorder this as soon as I have the cash though.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Cornell002Cornell002 Registered User regular
    Pre-ordered and paid off. I can't wait.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    That disappointing to hear about the 360 version. Not that sub-par framerates have ever been that noticeable to me unless it's really sub-par, but we'll see.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    That disappointing to hear about the 360 version. Not that sub-par framerates have ever been that noticeable to me unless it's really sub-par, but we'll see.

I tend to take what GB says in that respect with a grain of salt. It didn't seem THAT bad. Granted, the PC version did seem a lot better, but.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Well, I don't doubt that the PC version is better, but yeah.

Uuuugh should I try to re-play through 3 in a week

if you are willing to make it a co-op playthrough with me

yes

if you are willing to make it a co-op playthrough with me

yes

I only have a 360 copy and I'm not crazy enough to rebuy it

Also you already co-opped it with @bluemap

I don't want your sloppy seconds

your face has a space in its name

Also for real how do you @ people with spaces

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    I am glad Kenzie is back!

tia

Her safeword is teacup

your face has a space in its name

Also for real how do you @ people with spaces

quotation marks after the @ and at the end of their name

real spoilers, though it's probably common knowledge at this point
    I don't know how I feel about Gat coming back from the dead. 3 is the only SR game I've played so I really don't care that much about him?

actually supposedly there are a lot of major returning characters from 1 and 2 that I'll know nothing about.

I don't know how I feel about Gat coming back from the dead. 3 is the only SR game I've played so I really don't care that much about him?

actually supposedly there are a lot of major returning characters from 1 and 2 that I'll know nothing about.
    I'm happy they brought him back because he was a pretty big part of 1 and 2 and didn't deserve the offscreen death he got in 3

though I don't think he's as amazing as some people, he was a cool character at least

Moriveth wrote: »

I'm happy they brought him back because he was a pretty big part of 1 and 2 and didn't deserve the offscreen death he got in 3

though I don't think he's as amazing as some people, he was a cool character at least
    I'm not too happy about it. I figured he was a joke character like nyteblade but on the other end of the spectrum. I totally expected him to go out like a bitch for attempting to be cooler than the main character and he totally did

I'm not too happy about it. I figured he was a joke character like nyteblade but on the other end of the spectrum. I totally expected him to go out like a bitch for attempting to be cooler than the main character and he totally did

I can understand that, especially how he is in the small part he has in 3.

edited August 2013

I can understand that, especially how he is in the small part he has in 3.

Oh never mind I totally misread that

Metalbourne on