As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect: Dark Matter]

PonyPony Registered User regular
edited August 2013 in Critical Failures
LOrcXGW.gif

What is Mass Effect: Dark Matter?
Mass Effect: Dark Matter is a text-based adventure game I will be running on this forum, in this thread. Set twelve months after the events of the first Mass Effect game, Dark Matter follows the adventures of an undercover C-Sec officer on the Citadel, created by the players, whose decisions will be made based on consensus opinion of the people who post in this thread. If you post in this thread, you're a player. Think of it similar to the old "Choose Your Own Adventure" novels, with everyone who posts in this thread getting a chance to yell suggestions as to what course of action to take next. If you're familiar with "Adventure Quest" type games on other forums, you'll know this style of collaborative storytelling.

How many characters are there?
There is only one protagonist, the Operative, who is created and run by the decisions of the players. There are other characters who will show up over the course of the story, but these are non-player characters run by the Game Master (me).

Who are the players?
You! You, and anyone else posting in this thread are the players. When I make a post, you'll see options in front of you, usually with an accompanying image and a Mass Effect-style dialogue wheel. When you see a new post by me with options to choose from, post a selection. The selection that is the most popular is the one that the Operative will choose.

What if I don't like/understand the choices?
If you don't understand the options available, feel free to ask questions and I'll try to clarify. If you don't like the options currently available to the Operative and want to think outside the box and offer a new solution, feel free to do so, but know that 1. the majority of other players will still have to support you and 2. I, as the game master, retain final veto on non-standard suggestions, to prevent silliness and de-railing the game. On that note.

Don't de-rail the game
This is a game thread, in CF. That means it goes by CF's normal rules for game threads. Even though it's got a very open attitude on who can be players (anyone who wants to participate), people who are being disruptive to the game, constantly posting silly and trying to de-rail the game will get reported for it. Don't be a dick!

What game mechanics do I need to be aware of?
There are two social mechanics to be aware of: Reputation (Paragon/Renegade) and Influence (Animosity/Respect).

Reputation is broad, and applies to how people see the Operative in general. Reputation is affected by your actions, regardless of who you are around, and to an extent reflects how the Operative sees themselves as much as how others perceive them. Reputation primarily affects how characters react to the Operative in lieu of personal Influence ratings, and how the Operative acts in general in most scenes.

Influence is personal, and applies to individual characters. Characters you regularly encounter (Companions in particular) have individual Influence scores that represent how they feel about you. Like Paragon/Renegade scores, Animosity/Respect are tracked separately and do not cancel each other out (gaining Respect does not reduce how much Animosity a character has for you, because someone can respect you but not like you very much). This will determine your general interactions and successes when interacting with that character.

There are two main social skills that come up from time to time to alter social encounters: Charm (blue text) and Intimidate (red text). It is very important to be mindful of the fact that just because Charm and Intimidate options are available does not automatically mean they will be successful if chosen or that choosing them is necessarily advisable. In some instances, attempting such skills may significantly worsen the situation! But, such rarities should be abundantly obvious. Generally speaking, the decision to utilize Charm or Intimidate should be determined by which result the players want to happen. The success rate of Charm or Intimidate is not influenced by Renegade or Paragon scores, but can be influenced by Respect or Animosity ratings if they exist.

Combat in Dark Matter is narrative, and is given less thought and game mechanics than social interactions. Sometimes the players will be presented with choices to make in combat, but these are less about what attack to use and more about tactical approaches which may very well change the entire tide of the battle in one way or another depending on the choices made.

CODEX: COMPANIONS
MLZpUcv.jpg
YyBuUtH.jpg
sx2RTQk.jpg
mKbIXcq.jpg
gNbdGZp.jpg

CODEX: ANTAGONISTS
Ayers Syndicate
z74ZVW4.jpg
xvej4xO.jpg
4J87P5f.jpg
0YCemai.jpg

Tayseri Gang Lords
XSw8dmp.jpg
QewXYip.jpg
I2Zy4Xv.jpg

Galoven Syndicate
mS1f1qd.jpg

Pony on

• Options
    edited August 2013
    fsrtXSw.jpg

Pony on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    TURIAN!!

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Asari or female turian (IF NECESSARY)

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    Turian

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Female turian, let's go for maximum badass instead of Jai's niceness.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Human female.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Faking Outrage. Why is there no Elcor option?
    Jokingly, yet firm. Are you somehow prejudiced against this noble race?
    hopeful. At least will we see Elcors in your story?

restraining enthusiasm. I vote Turian.

(Parenthetically. I understand how Elcor as a race might not work well in your story. I am only kidding.)

• Options
    BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Female turian, let's go for maximum badass instead of Jai's niceness.

Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    TURIAN

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Turian.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Female Turian

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Intidimating Female Turian!

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Intidimating Female Turian!

• Options
    Species: Turian

EreEt79.jpg

• Options
    If we're going for an intimidating Thurian, can the bonus Renegade points be the wrong choice?
    Native (The Citadel)

• Options
    I would like to play a hard-boiled Turian lady-cop who is Native to the Citadel, please.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Native to the Citadel!

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Native

• Options
    Native

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Yeah it's gotta be a native. She's a loose cannon, unpredictable. No one will work with her!

She has turned in her badge and sidearm a total of twenty-three times. This year.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Native.

Born C-Sec, raised C-Sec, and more'n likely will die the same way.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    Yeah it's gotta be a native. She's a loose cannon, unpredictable. No one will work with her!

She has turned in her badge and sidearm a total of twenty-three times. This year.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    HOMEWORLDER

Her dad was a well known member of the turian hierarchy but she wanted to make a real difference and joined c-sec
    But seeing all the bureaucracy she is thinking about taking matters into her own hands

her name is
    Notfem Garrus

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    I was going to say, maybe she was the crewmember Garrus spoke about who had the flexibility... :winky:

~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Native.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Point of Origin: Native to the Citadel

pHIoNLk.jpg

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Soldier.

Even a loose cannon's better off if they know how to aim.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Gotta have underworld contacts.

Scoundrel

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Soldier

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Gotta have underworld contacts.

Scoundrel

Plus it'll help with staying undercover.

Boozer on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Scoundrel!

• Options
    Scoundrel 4 lyfe

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Soldier

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I like Soldier better.

• Options
    scholar

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Hmm...soldier or scoundrel...

Guess I'll throw my hat in with scoundrel as it would make a bit more sense for undercover.

Gonmun on
  • Options
    Scoundrel!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Soldier.

• Options
    KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    Scoundrel.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Scoundrel