As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Expressions Interest Wanted] Trail of Cthulhu

AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriumsPlateau of LengRegistered User regular
edited August 2013 in Critical Failures
So as I have been successfully running my Delta Green game, I have been wondering about running a second PbP with some of the material I have written in another system called Trail of Cthulhu. Trail of Cthulhu, as opposed to Chaosiums Call of Cthulhu, is a strictly historical setting version of CoC but using the Gumshoe system instead of Chaosiums. So far I have been intriged at the idea of horror roleplaying in the 1930s depression and I am wondering if anyone would be interested in playing in a game I would run here. Particularly, there are two ways of playing the game:

Pure: Which is basically like my Delta Green game. Combat is lethal, you're likely to go insane eventually and there is an air on inevitability about eventual death or insanity.

In effect this:
TouchedByMadness_full_zps2b942b2a.jpg

Pulp: Which is more like an old action/adventure comic or similar. You can take more damage, there isn't such an air of horror to the game and eventual insanity I don't think is always a given. I like to think of this as the way the Fantasy Flight Cthulhu games tend to work moreso than my Delta Green game or traditional Call of Cthulhu (where avoiding monsters is the best idea).

In effect this:
PulpCthulu_zpsc6116788.jpg

Bear in mind I am not saying I will run a game, but I am getting interest in doing so from people here and if there is enough I will more than likely do so. I'm primarily interested if people would like to run pure - which is basically 1930s historical setting horror or if they would like a more pulpy action adventure campaign (which would be more like Arkham Horror: The Roleplaying Game). I am very happy to run either of these things.

Edit: So after thinking about this, I know what kind of game I now want to run and actually I think I will adapt one of my Delta Green scenarios into Gumshoe, which I feel fits this game in theme and mechanics better. I was originally going to set my game in New York, but then I thought about the fact America is a really vast place and I should do something different. So I'm going to start this game in Cleveland Ohio, which will take me some time to read up on the history of the place, the state and such to run a convincing game inside of (I know much more about 1920s New York, but my Delta Green game is in New York). I am looking to see if there are easily accessed rules summaries or similar online for you right now.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
Aegeri on

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    i'd be interested in either, since I like more traditional lovecraftian stuff. Though I'm not that familiar with the Gumeshoe system . It doesn't look that hard to pick up or am I getting the wrong impression?

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    It seems pretty straightforward to me. It is based around the idea that you seed a "scene" with clues like "Bloody footprints" or whatever. When a player uses a skill that would find that clue, instead of rolling for a skill the game just goes "You find the bloody footprints hidden in the garden leading away down towards the manhole in the street" for example. It basically has the game decide "You need to interpret what clues you find from a scene" instead of the usual way in Delta Green/CoC the game can be "You didn't roll well enough on your Latin skill check? You missed out on important information*". So I am quite interested to see how this works and compare it directly with the Delta Green games I am running.

*Noting that in no way do I let that just end the game, but it's an example of how you can set something up and a poor roll may deny players important information. Gumshoe just says "You succeeded" and puts emphasis on interpreting these clues.

If that makes sense.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    I've looked through the Trail of Cthulhu rules before, but haven't yet had a chance to play it. I'd be super interested in playing in a Pure-style game. Gritty noir horror sounds incredibly fun, man.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    You have an oddly appropriate avatar for this game I should say!

I've updated the OP a bit with some pictures. My apologies for the general lack of information so far, I'm not entirely certain what I am wanting to do with this yet as I've only had the rules a couple of days. I'm getting a pretty good idea very quickly though! I did find they had an online character builder and I am trying to see if there is any good quickstart or basic explanation of the rules. So far as far as I can tell this system works by having two levels of "clues" and is a little unintuitive sounding at first.

Essentially you have skills like any other roleplaying games and these skills have a set number of points. When on an investigation there are necessary and unnecessary clues, with necessary clues being uncovered when you do the bare minimum to find them - EG my example from the OP of searching the garden to discover the bloody footprints. Then there are unnecessary clues, which add more information or detail, but require you to spend the "points" you have in your skills to discover. So to continue my example noticing the bloody footprints would be one thing, noticing the wet slime hidden underneath the windowsill would require spending points in the relevant skill to notice. Although you have a fair amount of these points, they are a finite resource over an investigation and so have to be spent wisely, otherwise you may not have them when you really do need them!

I'm very interested in giving this game a go now I am reading more about it. It has some solutions to some of the problems I have had with Call of Cthulhu for a while now.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    If my sig says anything, I'm so down for Noir! Grim, horror, batshit crazy seems better than pew pew pew to me.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I'd be definitely down to try this out.

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    I've had this in pdf for a while now. I'd definitely like to check it out.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    I should comment that when I bought the actual physical book I was given a PDF as well for free.

That's super classy.

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    I don't think I have the time to play, but I'm definitely watching with interest, especially if my scheduling changes.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    I won't be starting for a little while actually, as I need to hit some books to learn about 1930s America and Cleveland in particular. I am tempted to run the scenario from the book though, because it seems pretty well put together and will give me a good start in learning the system.

• Options
    So this is now officially going to happen (had more than enough interest) - probably have the post for the game up next week! I am currently working on a good summary of how to build characters.

After reading the rules, I am actually going to combine some pulp elements with the purist elements in this game. For example, all drives will be available and some of the way skills work will also use their pulpy elements. I am probably going to keep skill points a little lower than the default though. We will also be using the pulp rules for pillars of stability - which are basically people or NPCs your characters know who help stabilise themselves.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    My group's currently playing Trail of Cthulhu right now! I wish you luck, though I won't be reading your thread because I don't want to get spoiled. :P

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    Awesome. Been flipping through the pdf to familiarize myself with the rules. Thinking about an Antiquitarian curio shop owner, clinging to a failing family business.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Bursar wrote: »
    My group's currently playing Trail of Cthulhu right now! I wish you luck, though I won't be reading your thread because I don't want to get spoiled. :P

Well originally I was going to run the first module from the actual book, but I have now used it as inspiration for structure as opposed to anything else. So I am now using loose elements of it in the game, but it's pretty much entirely different by this point and doesn't resemble the original module that much outside of some really basic story. I rewrote much of it for my own purposes basically.

I am deciding to use a combination of some pulp rules with nearly all of the purist rules in place. For example, I really like the pulp rules for having people or associates as sources of stability for a characters mental health. I actually think this is tremendously appropriate to the game. If you have a really good justification and an occupation/concept that would have non-human sources of stability (say your characters job or maybe something as simple as being able to write) that would also be permissible. NPCs though make the game deeper, provide me more ways of introducing your character to the investigation and of course provide your enemies with tangible targets to attack you (outside of yourselves).

Edit: And I am not using any further official modules in this game at the moment, but I do have the story all planned out actually. There will be some globe trotting in the game as well.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Just to reassure everyone, the game is very much happening but I am writing my own module now as opposed to using the one in the rulebook - Albeit the historical killer it is based on will certainly be an element of the game (but within the framework of my own investigation as opposed to the pre-written one).

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Also when the recruitment thread goes up you will have not one but TWO options! You will be asked to make up to two characters in different campaign frames (explained in thread): A 1936 game set in the USA in Cleveland - or - a 1932 game set in England in the seedy underbelly of London. Depending on the characters I like best and who submits characters to what (You don't have to put a character in both campaign frames) will be the one we go with.

If you can't tell, I really like this system :P

Edit: And just so you know (loosely) what the choice will be

Ghosts of Innsmouth (1936 USA)

or

Black Hound of London (1932 England).

Aegeri on