As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Industry] Everything is awesome and everyone is doomed.

NosfNosf Registered User regular
edited August 2013 in Games and Technology
No idea what the etiquette is, so just cut and paste of the last one's first post. All credit to 'Death of Rats' for the format.

Welcome to the Video Game Industry Thread! Where we discuss the business-side of video games and NOTHING ELSE.

THE RULES

This thread is about the industry. Business. It is not for you to get into a long debate about how the controls in Kid Icarus were so terrible. You CAN touch on broad reasons why a game failed to sell (crowded for that genre, it flat-out sucked, etc), but getting into minutia over games is a no-go. Video game announcements are also off-limits unless there's something notable (struggling company spend a ton on it as a hail mary pass).
Do not fanboy over a console/developer/etc. You are free to criticize a console or company, but getting irrationally defensive over your pet piece of hardware will be punished.
Stay the fuck on topic. This will be dealt with more harshly in here than in other threads because it tends to get out of control more often.
This is not a thread for every scrap of industry news. Sexism in the industry? Social issue: give it another thread. Gaming journalism sucks? Journalism is not the industry: discuss it elsewhere. This thread has a bad habit of being a black hole that sucks would-be threads into its event horizon. We need to focus here and let other news topic get their own threads.
VGChartz makes up shit. Do not post VGChartz.
Top Ten lists are link-baiting crap and should not be posted with the exception of sales figures.
Take care when linking anything with stats and information. Try to make sure the article properly cites figures.
Do not get into pedantic arguments. An old favorite is whether or not casual games should be covered here (spoiler: yes). A more recent one is what is meant by AAA (short answer: no one cares). This shit derails the thread and we don't need a page of discussion on what "free-to-play" really means. Get embroiled in this shit at your own risk.
Report people you think are violating rules. Calling them out just derails the thread and it might get you in trouble for stirring shit up.
This thread is still for fun! Enjoy yourself.

With that said lets meet the players!

playstation_zps293faba7.gif

Founded in 1946, Sony entered the gaming business through a bit of corporate revenge involving Nintendo and a botched CD peripheral. Prior to that, Sony was dabbling in just about every other type of electronic entertainment doodad: TVs, radios, sound systems, and so forth. It was probably inevitable that Sony would dip their toes in the games business, but Nintendo ushered that along by snubbing Sony in the mid-90s when the two had a deal making a CD attachment for the SNES. Feeling bitter about the ordeal, Sony went on to make the Sony Playstation, changing the market forever. The success of the first Playstation was in part due to Nintendo's own stubborn attitudes, but there's no denying that Sony's first console offered quite a bit, and its successor (the Playstation 2) officiated Sony's spot as the new ruler of the market. Sony, however, would eventually fall prey to their own hubris. The Playstation 3 was something of a misstep, being overpriced and plagued with issues here and there. A catastrophic hacking issue didn't help matters. While down, Sony isn't out of the game by any stretch of the imagination, and did manage to recover a bit of lost ground towards the end of the last generation. Well, for their consoles. The PSP and Vita are shaping to the latest trophies adorning Nintendo's skull throne.

xbox_zps3af0cad8.gif

Not just the only western company here, Microsoft is the only console provider that isn't Japanese. Founded in 1975, everyone knows about Bill Gates and his magic Window devices. Towards the turn of the millennium, the company decided to try its hand at the video game business. Coming after the quick fall of Sega, there were many skeptical of the market's ability to support three competitors, but Microsoft hulked out and brute-forced its way onto the scene with deep company pockets and very high-end tech for its Xbox machine. Oh, and this little exclusive title called "Halo" didn't hurt none, I'm sure. By embracing a hobbyist demographic with smooth online capabilities and the latest shooty gun titles, Microsoft not only found its way onto the market, but even narrowly beat Nintendo. Although all is not rosy, as the company has had...difficulties finding a warm reception in the East (we're talking old-school Game Boys outselling the Xbox back in the old days). The follow-up act, the Xbox 360, entrenched itself as a solid competitor in the last generation, and Microsoft is looking poised to have its turn at top of the heap if Sony and Nintendo don't step up their game.

Nintendo_zps9040289f.gif

There are three things to know about Nintendo: they are the oldest company here, the longest company in the business here, and are the crazed artiste of the group. Founded in 1889 as a maker of playing cards, towards the mid and late 1900s they shifted to toys and, eventually, video games. Their home console, the NES, took the world by storm, in part thanks to the video game crash of 1983 wiping out all the competition. I mean like, ALL of it. We're taking a 90+% market share here. Nintendo ruled most of the 90s with an iron fist, which bred bitterness among the third party companies that had to play ball with Nintendo. This allowed rivals such as Sega to become a much more appealing alternative to control freak Nintendo, ultimately culminating with Sony hosing Nintendo in the fifth and sixth generations. In the seventh gen, however, Nintendo embraced the casual crowd with the reveal of the Wii. Utilizing simple motion controls and a horde of mostly shit mini-game compilations, Nintendo's plan to convert non-gamers into flailing nerds was a resounding success. Kinda. While initial sales were immense, and definitely enough to make Nintendo Giant of All, it's looking like retaining this casual demographic is going to be a sticking point if the Wii U's flaccid sales are any indication.

valve_zps0f04ac97.gif

Founded in 1996, Valve is a private company and owner of the largest digital distribution/poverty creation device, Steam. They're up here because they're perhaps the one thing besides World of Warcraft that's been proving doomsayers about the PC market wrong for a good decade now. Numbers on Steam's control of the market are harder to suss out because of their private nature, but it's estimated that Valve has at least HALF of it. Valve is also looking to potentially become the fourth player in the console market with their proposed Steambox. Right now it's hard to say if this is really meant to compete on the same level as the big three, or just a cheap way to play most of your Steam library, but those of us who have dumped whole paychecks into a summer sale know better than to underestimate Valve. steam steam lol indeed.

All text from last OP.

A duck! on

• Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    We're doomed for sure if the pictures stay broken.

Edit: Now everything is awesome.

Shady3011 on
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Fixed. Anyways, Season Pass doesn't seem so terrible to me; in the case of Borderlands 2 I was happy with what I spent vs. what I got; I paid up front and got a discount vs. paying piece meal later. I wouldn't pay for one for a game from an unknown company, or a game that I didn't have a really keen interest in. GTA5 I'd pay up front if it was discounted; their games have great legs and the DLC quality is always top notch. Same goes for Skyrim.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Nosf wrote: »
    Fixed. Anyways, Season Pass doesn't seem so terrible to me; in the case of Borderlands 2 I was happy with what I spent vs. what I got; I paid up front and got a discount vs. paying piece meal later. I wouldn't pay for one for a game from an unknown company, or a game that I didn't have a really keen interest in. GTA5 I'd pay up front if it was discounted; their games have great legs and the DLC quality is always top notch. Same goes for Skyrim.

not sure how it works with consoles, but with steam you can wait and see what and how much DLC comes out and then purchase the season pass, which in most cases ends up saving you a fair amount of money and avoids the ambiguity associated with purchasing it on release day. So it really doesn't have to be a bad thing...unless you look at it as buying content that should have been in the game to begin with.

LostNinja on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I imagine the point of the Seasons Pass is to lock in all that sweet DLC money ahead of time and thus get cash out of people who will have dropped the game by the time your 3rd or whatever DLC comes out and thus wouldn't buy it otherwise.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I think this cutie ought to be in included as a graphic in OP.
    xi3-piston-03.jpg

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    I imagine the point of the Seasons Pass is to lock in all that sweet DLC money ahead of time and thus get cash out of people who will have dropped the game by the time your 3rd or whatever DLC comes out and thus wouldn't buy it otherwise.

Very much so and I love it when the season passes work for a game but there have been too many issues with season passes causing problems with the game (Gears of War 3) to hardly having any content worth getting the pass as a way of justifying the terms of creating content for a season pass (Aliens: Colonial Marines). Hell even good season passes like Borderlands 2 have had to also create additional content thats not included with the season pass as a way of trying to gain additional sales off season pass holders.

Its asking for the consumer to gamble money on theoretical idealism. If the game tanks then the dlc will end up sparse or non existent.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    jumping into the cboat discussion, I think the number one reason for him writing the way he does is to prevent him being quoted directly. No journalist or editor is going to publish a direct quote like that, and it's not permissible for them to "clean up" his grammar and spelling, so the best they can do is paraphrase and report what he is saying, which adds another layer of protection for him.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    jumping into the cboat discussion, I think the number one reason for him writing the way he does is to prevent him being quoted directly. No journalist or editor is going to publish a direct quote like that, and it's not permissible for them to "clean up" his grammar and spelling, so the best they can do is paraphrase and report what he is saying, which adds another layer of protection for him.
    I missed the latest leak. Care to re-post the basics from the previous thread?

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    He had said something along the lines a few months ago of "MS is having manufacturing issues that are going to fuck up their launch", and then today MS announced they'll be delaying until 2014 the X1 in like 8 countries that were supposed to have it in this November.

He basically bumped the thread today that was talking about his prediction from months ago with a "see I told you so" post and added a teaser message of "lots of new info next week about all this"

So stay tuned!

edit: Here's the post explaining everything so far: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=61320285&postcount=1

Allforce on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Judge halves $30.2 million infringement award against Nintendo
    (Reuters) - A U.S. judge on Wednesday ruled that inventor Seijiro Tomita can take half the $30.2 million in damages awarded him after a jury found Nintendo Co infringed one of his patents, or risk getting nothing.

The federal jury in New York awarded Tomita the damages in March after deciding the video game company infringed a 3-D display technology patent with its handheld 3DS videogame system.

Tomita's patent related to technology he developed for providing 3-D images without the need for 3-D glasses. He sued Nintendo and its U.S. unit in 2011 for patent infringement.

In a ruling on Wednesday, federal judge Jed Rakoff deemed the award "'intrinsically excessive' and unsupported by the evidence presented at trial."

By August 23, Tomita, 59, must decide whether to accept $15.1 million in damages or proceed to a new damages trial, the U.S. district judge ruled.

Rakoff noted that evidence at the trial showed Nintendo's 3DS console is not profitable, and the vast majority of games designed for it do not use technology covered by Tomita's patent.

The judge denied other requests from Nintendo, including overturning the jury's verdict or granting a new liability trial.

"Nintendo respects the intellectual property rights of other companies and is confident that none of its products infringes the asserted patent," Charlie Scibetta, a spokesman for Nintendo, said in a statement. "Nintendo will appeal the jury's verdict and reduced damages award to the court of appeals."

Joe Diamante, Tomita's lawyer, said that "We are still reviewing the decision and have no comment."

The case is Tomita Technologies USA, LLC et al v. Nintendo Co, Ltd et al, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 11-cv-4256.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Man, Nintendo just doesn't care who they hurt, just as long as they keep making bank.

No I don't.
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Welcome to corporate America.

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular

I dunno if this has been posted but:

engadget.com/2013/08/14/nfl-sunday-ticket-wont-be-on-playstation-this-season/
    We got our first taste of NFL Sunday Ticket on the PS3 back in 2011, but now Sony has confirmed it's not available for the 2013 - 2014 season. IGN asked PlayStation reps why the app would not be active this season and they wouldn't confirm any specific reasons. For its part, DirecTV told us it's working on enhancing the experience for new and existing satellite customers, although those who can't get satellite TV can still sign up for the mobile / web streaming package. That league commissioner Roger Goodell recently made a cameo in Microsoft's Xbox One launch event probably isn't a total coincidence, but the package won't be available there either, at least not for this season.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    I dunno if this has been posted but:

engadget.com/2013/08/14/nfl-sunday-ticket-wont-be-on-playstation-this-season/
    We got our first taste of NFL Sunday Ticket on the PS3 back in 2011, but now Sony has confirmed it's not available for the 2013 - 2014 season. IGN asked PlayStation reps why the app would not be active this season and they wouldn't confirm any specific reasons. For its part, DirecTV told us it's working on enhancing the experience for new and existing satellite customers, although those who can't get satellite TV can still sign up for the mobile / web streaming package. That league commissioner Roger Goodell recently made a cameo in Microsoft's Xbox One launch event probably isn't a total coincidence, but the package won't be available there either, at least not for this season.

The NFL gets stingy about establishing who can watch their content and under what conditions and whatnot. So this is no surprise to me at all.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Sounds mostly like there are no a ton of options for the NFL to sell streaming service to. They're probably going to try out a trial something else, or just try to figure out where they can get the best set of deals. I'm not surprised if "gaming consoles" isn't their best avenue.

Microsoft might get a deal overall, but it'll probably be tied to an entire Windows 8/Windows Tablet/Xbone package system. Microsoft can deliver streaming NFL on more devices.

What is this I don't even.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Sounds mostly like there are no a ton of options for the NFL to sell streaming service to. They're probably going to try out a trial something else, or just try to figure out where they can get the best set of deals. I'm not surprised if "gaming consoles" isn't their best avenue.

Microsoft might get a deal overall, but it'll probably be tied to an entire Windows 8/Windows Tablet/Xbone package system. Microsoft can deliver streaming NFL on more devices.

They have to convince the NFL it's worth it. My Sirius XM internet subscription package gets me access to everything on satellite radio except the NFL stuff - those are only available on subscription plans for actual satellite radio devices. Why is there a difference? Who knows, but the NFL doesn't just go, "OH MORE EXPOSURE DO IT."

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL expects companies to pay them to be able to carry Sunday Ticket.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Man, Nintendo just doesn't care who they hurt, just as long as they keep making bank.

Not necessarily. Patent law is completely fucked. Looking at it closer, I can't find evidence if him doing anything with this patent other than filing/suing for it.

Months ago, this American life had a special about these chucklefucks who had a patent on "podcasts" and are currently threatening to sue lots of podcasters for infringement.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    WiiU version of Yakuza (1 & 2) HD failed to chart in the top 50, meaning it's sold less than 1800. The PS3 version sold 60k its first week with lifetime sales between 80-100k.

Sega can't be happy with that. Though it was a year later port of an HD upscale for a series most people would have played on PS2 and PS3.

They could hav used that money instead to localize 5 or the HD release in the West and had far more sales than 1800. :(

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Judge halves $30.2 million infringement award against Nintendo
    (Reuters) - A U.S. judge on Wednesday ruled that inventor Seijiro Tomita can take half the $30.2 million in damages awarded him after a jury found Nintendo Co infringed one of his patents, or risk getting nothing.

The federal jury in New York awarded Tomita the damages in March after deciding the video game company infringed a 3-D display technology patent with its handheld 3DS videogame system.

Tomita's patent related to technology he developed for providing 3-D images without the need for 3-D glasses. He sued Nintendo and its U.S. unit in 2011 for patent infringement.

In a ruling on Wednesday, federal judge Jed Rakoff deemed the award "'intrinsically excessive' and unsupported by the evidence presented at trial."

By August 23, Tomita, 59, must decide whether to accept $15.1 million in damages or proceed to a new damages trial, the U.S. district judge ruled.

Rakoff noted that evidence at the trial showed Nintendo's 3DS console is not profitable, and the vast majority of games designed for it do not use technology covered by Tomita's patent.

The judge denied other requests from Nintendo, including overturning the jury's verdict or granting a new liability trial.

"Nintendo respects the intellectual property rights of other companies and is confident that none of its products infringes the asserted patent," Charlie Scibetta, a spokesman for Nintendo, said in a statement. "Nintendo will appeal the jury's verdict and reduced damages award to the court of appeals."

Joe Diamante, Tomita's lawyer, said that "We are still reviewing the decision and have no comment."

The case is Tomita Technologies USA, LLC et al v. Nintendo Co, Ltd et al, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 11-cv-4256.

What surprised me the most here is that the 3DS isn't profitable. I thought it was a huge money spinner. With the WiiU doing so badly, and so close to their first ever annual loss... Ouch.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Ah patent trolls. I love them.

edited August 2013
    Beltaine wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL expects companies to pay them to be able to carry Sunday Ticket.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic here, but yes, this is exactly how the business works. DirecTV paid them something ridiculous like 4 billion for the exclusive rights to the Sunday Ticket. NBC pays them billions over X years just to carry one game a week on Sunday night..

And I'm guessing that 400 million dollar "unprecedented partnership" with MS ensured that Sony wasn't going to have the Sunday Ticket option going forward.

Allforce on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    15 million is still a ton of money. I'd take that shit and be done with it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Or Sony looked at what they were going to have to pay NFL to have it on their console and weighed it against how many people bought it on their console previously and said, "Nah, we're good"

XdDBi4F.jpg
    Yeah I didn't even realize you could do that on consoles. Seems like if you're really into it you'll just buy the package from DirecTV or whatever.

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Brian Fargo has a nice interview over on RPS.
    RPS: With that looming specter of joblessness, too, I think you end up risking not letting the team establish a rapport. If someone comes into a company with the knowledge that after the project’s done, they’ll probably be out, then they can’t get comfortable. They never end up feeling like part of something bigger.

Fargo: And they’re looking for jobs as a result. What you’re going to have is, towards the end of the project you’ll have people leave. You’ll have people leave with two months to go. They’re saying, “Brian, do I have a job afterward? What’s the deal?” I’m not gonna lie. I’m gonna say, “I don’t know. My publisher wants to see how well the product does.” That’s not very much reassurance for a guy who has a wife and kids. You have that even further on top of it.
    RPS: So that’s when it hit more than 60. Then you just had to let most of those people go.

Fargo: Yeah. We had to reinvent ourselves. If you’re not doing a big triple-A game, you can’t have 60 people. You just can’t do it. It’s so hard to make money doing the triple-A business. So hard.

RPS: Yeah. You see it more and more right now. People who have been triple-A for decades, even, going indie. I know that there’s been… Not an exodus, but a number of people leaving 2K Marin now that The Bureau is wrapping up. They’re all going off and just doing little indie projects, because it’s finally viable.

Fargo: Right. It’s more satisfying. You feel closer to the sales part of it, too. You think, “If I can make this do 50,000 units…”

RPS: Then you’re golden.

Fargo: Yeah, you’re golden. These times, they are a-changin’.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited August 2013
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't even realize you could do that on consoles. Seems like if you're really into it you'll just buy the package from DirecTV or whatever.

But it's exclusive to DirecTV, so the PS3 app was a nice (and surprising) option. I mean its 350 bucks for the season on both services but at least with the PS3 version you didn't have a monthly bill for satellite.

Allforce on
    That shit is so depressing to think about... But then I'm Government contract. I ask the same question every time my project nears the end.

Amazon has two versions of Madden 25 up for preorder. Regular $60 and a $100 version that comes with a year of Sunday ticket. There's a PS3 version of this deal too. I wonder how much of a headache that's going to be for Amazon on launch day.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    That Sunday Ticket they're offering is the "web" version only and was already confirmed not to work with the PS3.

It's basically so you can watch games on your PC, smartphone, tablet, etc. Still not a bad idea if you have a HTPC or something.

Allforce wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

But it's exclusive to DirecTV, so the PS3 app was a nice (and surprising) option. I mean its 350 bucks for the season on both services but at least with the PS3 version you didn't have a monthly bill for satellite.

Sure is a nice option. But, generally speaking, people had already bought into DirecTV for the package and people are unwilling to change no matter what. I'm sure you've experienced this.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I have really enjoyed Brian finding success on kickstarter. Not because both the games he's involved with are things that I really want but because of the sheer honesty about publishers/industry he's shown.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Allforce wrote: »
    That Sunday Ticket they're offering is the "web" version only and was already confirmed not to work with the PS3.

It's basically so you can watch games on your PC, smartphone, tablet, etc. Still not a bad idea if you have a HTPC or something.

Oh shit, that's pretty awesome then.

Well you didn't need a Directv subscription at all for the PS3 app, this wasn't like a "log in and access your sub" deal like HBO Go or something. You could have Time Warner or ComCast cable or no cable at all and still just pay the 350 bucks and get every NFL game on your PS3.

It was literally the only ala-carte option ever offered outside of the PC stuff, so it sucks that its gone.

Oh I'm well aware of that. What I'm saying is that people who enjoy sports already have DirecTV and have already always paid for the NFL Sunday Ticket so they already assume that is what their going to do year by year. Generally they just get locked into it by assuming it's the only choice.

Having them available on the consoles is awesome and much cheaper but these are the kinds of people that don't really shop around.

I would think the number of NFL fans that would buy Sunday Ticket and own a PS3, but don't already have DirecTV is pretty low?

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Well, not everyone can even get Direc TV. Surely there are some NFL fans that live in apartment buildings where cable is their only choice.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    I guess, at the end of the day, it's the same problem as everything else in this stupid industry: Lack of advertising. I live with a roommate who is obsessed with sports and my dad is the same way and none of us even knew they offered it.

edited August 2013
    Maybe Sony should take a cue from Microsoft and change the XMB to be 75% advertising space to put up big Sunday Ticket banners. :P

(I also had no idea)

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    $350 for a season of football, christ.

Very odd that neither PlayStation nor Xbox will have it this year... maybe DirecTV has some kind of deal? Or maybe the NFL is getting annoying.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
This discussion has been closed.