As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Sixth Annual Drinking Tournament Part 1 (Official Thread!)

Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
edited August 2013 in PAX West
Please read this before trying to sign up!

The Sixth Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament is completely full. On the off chance that a registration is cancelled it will be put back into the available pool immediately. There is no waitlist for this event as Eventbrite's system does not work properly for our needs. You can keep an eye on the registration page to see if a ticket pops up but otherwise the event is full so please do not just show up.

(I really need to get the logo in here this year)

Prologue

Dearest Students,

Dark times have fallen upon the Hogwart's School of Drunken Revelry and as such it is no longer the sanctuary for young witches and wizards that it once was. Whether you're a first year or even a season sixth year student, returning to the grounds will be treacherous.

And things may not always be the same.

The Drunk Lord continues to grow in power and has amassed his own army of high school students. I don't think sending kids into battle is the way to fix the social security system but that's neither here nor there. Expect this year's lessons to be familiar as you must understand the past if you want to save the future.

Warmest Regards,
The Headmaster

What This Is

The Triwizard Drinking Tournament is an annual bar crawl/scavenger hunt that takes place in Seattle and coincides with PAX Prime. Participants are encouraged to come in costume and meet other PAX attendees before the convention begins. Whiskey Wizardry is the quickest way to make new friends.

When This Happens

Thursday August 29th at 8:30PM.

How To Participate

Registration is currently full and has been for some time. If a spot opens up it will be immediately available on our Eventbrite registration page. First come, first serve. For those of you who are already registered all you need to do is show up at your House's starting bar when the crawl starts at 8:30. Attendees must have access to their Eventbrite registration bar code whether it's printed out or available on your smartphone. Each attendee will be asked for a $1 donation for their scorecard and house button. All proceeds from the evening will benefit Child's Play so donating more is encouraged and depending on your house there will be more opportunities to donate throughout the night.

Scorecards
tvxc.jpg

Gryffindor

Gryffindor values courage, daring, nerve and chivalry. Its mascot is the lion, and its colours are scarlet and gold. This house corresponds roughly to the element of fire. The founder of the house is Godric Gryffindor.

Order of the Phoenix

Head of House: Atlus Parker
Head Boy: arcticxc
Head Girl: Mrs. Parker
House Elf

Schedule:

Gryffindor OoTP

0830 Barca vs Gryffindor DE
0930 Linda's vs Slytherin DE
1030 Grim's vs Hufflepuff DE
1130 Auto Battery vs Ravenclaw DE
1230 Barca vs Gryffindor DE

Death Eaters

Head of House: AylaViere
Head Boy: Capeguy
Head Girl: Jo
House Elf

Schedule:

Gryffindor DE

0830 Barca vs Gryffindor OotP
0930 Auto Battery vs Slytherin OotP
1030 Unicorn vs Hufflepuff OotP
1130 Linda's vs Ravenclaw OotP
1230 Barca vs Gryffindor OotP

Gryffindor Button:
rmx5.jpg

Slytherin

Like Salazar Slytherin, its founder, Slytherin house values ambition, cunning, and resourcefulness. The book also suggests that the hunger for power is a characteristic of Slytherins. The animal representing Slytherin is the serpent, and the house colours are green and silver. Slytherin House seems to have attracted more evil wizards than any other house, including Voldemort himself and almost all of his supporters...except for the ones who join the Order of the Phoenix.

Order of the Phoenix

Head of House: AKReign
Head Boy: stabn_
Head Girl:
House Elf: Enigmas

Schedule:

Slytherin OotP

0830 Grim's vs Slytherin DE
0930 Auto Battery vs Slytherin DE
1030 Linda's vs Ravenclaw DE
1130 Unicorn vs Hufflepuff DE
1230 Grim's vs Slytherin DE

Death Eater

Head of House: TOGSolid
Head Boy: cronus
Head Girl: saldek
House Elf: captain tapole

Schedule:

Slytherin DE

0830 Grim's vs Slytherin OotP
0930 Linda's vs Gryffindor OotP
1030 Auto Battery vs Ravenclaw OotP
1130 Barca vs Hufflepuff OotP
1230 Grim's vs Slytherin OotP

Slytherin Button:
q65e.jpg

Ravenclaw

Ravenclaw values intelligence, creativity, wit, and wisdom. "Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure" is an oft-repeated Ravenclaw proverb. The house mascot is an eagle/raven, the house colours are blue and bronze (changed to blue and silver in the movies).

Order of the Phoenix

Head of House: zerzhul
Head Boy: wormdundee & skarsol
Head Girl: Sumi
House Elf: Maledicte720

Schedule:

Ravenclaw OotP

0830 Unicorn vs Ravenclaw DE
0930 Barca vs Hufflepuff DE
1030 Auto Battery vs Slytherin DE
1130 Linda's vs Gryffindor DE
1230 Unicorn vs Ravenclaw DE

Death Eaters

Head of House: PunkJr
Head Boy: optimusbry
Head Girl: Saxicide
House Elf

Schedule:

Ravenclaw DE

0830 Unicorn vs Ravenclaw OotP
0930 Grim's vs Hufflepuff OotP
1030 Linda's vs Slytherin OotP
1130 Auto Battery vs Gryffindor OotP
1230 Unicorn vs Ravenclaw OotP

Ravenclaw Button:
dii9.jpg

Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff, founded by Helga Hufflepuff, values hard work, loyalty, tolerance, and fair play. They are afraid of ghosts, sheets with holes, and regular sheets. The house mascot is the badger, and canary yellow and black are its colours and corresponds roughly to the element of earth.

Order of the Phoenix

Head of House: Crispy262
Head Boy: BakaAl
Head Girl: itchbay
House Elf: relativiox

Schedule:

Hufflepuff OotP

0830 Linda's vs Hufflepuff DE
0930 Grim's vs Ravenclaw DE
1030 Unicorn vs Gryffindor DE
1130 Barca vs Slytherin DE
1230 Linda's vs Hufflepuff DE

Death Eaters

Head of House: juju
Head Boy: Binkley
Head Girl: Unfettered
House Elf

Schedule:

Hufflepuff DE

0830 Linda's vs Hufflepuff OotP
0930 Barca vs Ravenclaw OotP
1030 Grim's vs Gryffindor OotP
1130 Unicorn vs Slytherin OotP
1230 Linda's vs Hufflepuff OotP

Hufflepuff Button:
tkpm.jpg

The Challenges

Challenge 1: The Two Wands (2008)

Drink two shots at once.

Challenge 2: House Duel (2009)

Pair up with an opponent from your opposing house and cast your best spell (shot)!

Challenge 3: Divination OWL (2010)

Pair off with a partner and secretly choose rum, tequila, or vodka. If your partner correctly guesses which you're thinking of they can take their choice of shot. If they guess incorrectly you choose which of the three they must drink. Reverse roles and repeat

Challenge 4: I Must Not Tell Lies (2011)

Pair off with a partner from the opposing house. Each of you order a beer or mixed drink. Engage in a game of I Never until both drinks have been consumed. Save any dirt you learn about your opponent for future blackmail.

Challenge 5: Harry Potter and Three Wizards, One Goblet (2012)

Choose 2 partners for this challenge. At least one of them must be from your opposing house. One person orders a mixed drink and the other 2 each order a shot. All 3 people drink from the mixed drink while adding a shot each time there is space for it. The drink is to be consumed as quickly as possible. Straws and light piano music not provided.

Wildcard Challenge: Come dressed in proper school attire sporting your house's colors.

How Do I Win?

There's really no winning, per se. This is pretty much a fun, drunken night out with fellow nerds. But for those of you who do manage to finish your scorecards, there will be a button celebrating the fact that you've triumphed over good or evil or whatever. Still not enough? That leads us to...

The Gathering of the Horcruxes (Year 2)

This year's bonus button continues the hunt for the 7 Horcruxes. Students who complete their scorecard will be given the opportunity to earn one of the three remaining Horcrux buttons. Students who plan on returning next year should seek out others who have earned Horcruxes to assemble a set of 7.

The Diadem: The diadem must be destroyed by consuming a Dragon's Breath spell (Cinnamon schnapps + 151 proof rum). This spell was first learned in 2008.
The Boy Who Lived: Greet death like an old friend and accept your fate. Drink a double shot consisting of two different alcohols chosen by the bartender. This skill was first learned in 2009.
The Snake: Summon your courage and then the Sword of Gryffindor (Apple schnapps + Vodka) to slay the snake. This magical item was first wielded in 2009.

Tips & Tricks

Don't Be a Dick: First and foremost, don't do anything that's going to embarrass yourself or anyone else. Especially since alcohol is going to be involved you're going to want to leave your asshole pants at home. Don't make us snap your wand.

Know Your Limit: The only person who knows your alcohol tolerance is you. There's nothing worse than an overindulged drunk so don't be that guy. If someone notices that you're getting sloppy you're already past the point of no return. You should probably stop drinking when someone points out to you that you're peeing on a bar stool.

Leave No Wizard Behind: We arrive as a group and leave as a group. If someone has to be That Guy/Gal who gets so wasted that they think they're actually Dumbledore, it's the responsibility of the crawl as a whole to ensure this person makes it safely back to their hotel. Use the buddy system, handcuff yourselves to each other, whatever. No one is to vomit in a bus terminal by themselves. Not this night, at least.

Atlus Is Required to Wear Pants: Don't let him convince you otherwise.

Respect the Heads and House Elves: Anyone designated as a Head or House Elf for the crawl isn't there just to mark scorecards; they're there to make sure everyone's having a good time and that everything runs smoothly. They're there to keep everyone moving and to stop people from jumping up on the bar and dropping trou. If one asks you to stop picking bar fights with the seedy locals, it might be a good idea to do so.

HAVE FUN: This is the most important guideline of all: Have fun! We're all on vacation and we're drinking with fellow nerds so let's enjoy it. Keeping ourselves fairly reasonable for the evening will make it a good time for everyone.

Guidelines for the House Duels or Dueling Etiquette And You: A Magic Users Guide to Not Being a Total Dick

This guide is to clarify a few rules concerning the wizard duels between houses. I know everyone has grand plans of pouring cement mixers and cowboy killers or whatever godawful concoctions people subject their bodies to down each other's throat. While this sounds good in theory, we want everyone to have fun and not worry about a first year student choking on Bloody Tampon and ruining the rest of their night. The following are a few rules to keep things fun:

All Forbidden Curses Are...Forbidden: All drinks must contain only a mix of alcohol. That means no fruit, tabasco sauce, fire, pickles, rubber bands, dirty diapers, razor blades, The Kraken, miniature civilizations, or whatever else your sick little minds come up with.

The Challenger Buys the Drink: To keep things fair and to prevent anyone from breaking their opponents bank by ordering them Dom Perignon mixed with Patron and topped off with Crystal Skull vodka.

Choose Your Partner Outside: At each bar where the duels happen we're going to have nearly 100 people trying to cram the bar. Help expedite the process by choosing a partner outside then going in together and ordering together.

Previous Bar Crawls

The First Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament (2008)
The Second Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament (2009)
The Third Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament (2010)
The Fourth Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament (2011)
The Fifth Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament (2012)

Pokecrawl Episode 1: The Journey Begins (2010)
Pokecrawl Episode 2: Mewtwo Strikes Back! (2011)
Pokecrawl Episode 3: A Brand New World! (2012)
Pokecrawl Episode 4: The Power of One! (2013)

Atlus Parker on

• Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    Some work in progress here. Bear with me folks. :)

• valdorvaldor Registered User regular
    I just sqee'ed like a school girl when I saw this was posted

3 time TWDT attendee. One year as House Head Boy and Now Head of House for Slytherin DE.
    4 Year Pax West Attendee
  • UnfetteredUnfettered Registered User regular
    Hufflepuff DE - HoH - Huffledrunk 4 Lyf!

RIP: uncomfortably hot tire vest

u want destiny raid? We be raidin'! XBL: Unfettered
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Ah, yes. Do not worry, fellow Slytherins, your ever-awesome House Elves (Enigmas and myself...even though Atlus forgot to write us in...) will have wonderful plans and time in store for all of you.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • superwootsuperwoot 6th Annual Triwizard - Slytherin DE Santa barbara, CARegistered User regular

My prediction for late night Triwizard.

In the strangest of ways...
  • AylaviereAylaviere Overlord Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    Gryffindor Death Eaters: Report for duty! https://www.facebook.com/groups/313459105416789/

East 2015: Hostel/Hotel [✓] Time Off [✓] 3 Day Pass [✓] Pokecrawl [ ]
  • EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    Ah, yes. Do not worry, fellow Slytherins, your ever-awesome House Elves (Enigmas and myself...even though Atlus forgot to write us in...) will have wonderful plans and time in store for all of you.

This is a fact.

3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
  • superwootsuperwoot 6th Annual Triwizard - Slytherin DE Santa barbara, CARegistered User regular
  • DelacroixDelacroix Registered User regular
    Aylaviere wrote: »
    Gryffindor Death Eaters: Report for duty! https://www.facebook.com/groups/313459105416789/

o7

• akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Regarding the suggestion in the old thread that Hufflepuff's house song be "Erry day I'm Hufflin'" you are a year too late. Trust me, that suggestion was taken to heart long, long ago.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • OptimusbryOptimusbry Event Designer Long Beach CARegistered User regular
    I dont know who normally designs the pins but I had some time during lunch today and threw these together for everyone's consideration wmFnamB.jpg

Nintendo ID: Optimusbry :: Xbox Live: Optimus Bry :: PSN: Optimusbry :: Steam ID: Optimus Bry
  • edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Optimusbry wrote: »
    I dont know who normally designs the pins but I had some time during lunch today and threw these together for everyone's consideration
    wmFnamB.jpg

Dude, these are already designed. They are on the other thread: here.

But these are FREAKING SWEET designs! Seriously, I love these.

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
  • OptimusbryOptimusbry Event Designer Long Beach CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Yeah i just saw that, they weren't posted up top so I thought they werent done yet. Totally missed the other thread's tail end. My apologies!

Funny we used the same sigils and had similar ideas

Optimusbry on
    Nintendo ID: Optimusbry :: Xbox Live: Optimus Bry :: PSN: Optimusbry :: Steam ID: Optimus Bry
    Optimusbry wrote: »
    Yeah i just saw that, they weren't posted up top so I thought they werent done yet. Totally missed the other thread's tail end. My apologies!

Funny we used the same sigils and had similar ideas

My wife has been doing the button and scorecard designs for several years (it's how we met, afterall!) and I just haven't updated the OP yet with the button designs. Next year remind me of your button designs because she's so busy nowadays she could probably use a break. :D

edited August 2013
    Sending this off to the printer tomorrow. Any thoughts?

tvxc.jpg

Atlus Parker on
  • neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    Ca CAAAAW!

Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.
    neuroslice wrote: »
    Ca CAAAAW!

..... Hiss Hiiiiiiiiisssss?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    nope

zerzhul wrote: »
    nope

XD

• SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    Sending this off to the printer tomorrow. Any thoughts?

tvxc.jpg

Looks good to me!
    Simpler than previous years but it works.

qxd8or7ouox3.png
    Scorecard looks solid

• stabn_stabn_ Registered User regular
    I like it.

Slytherin Headboy: Order of the Phoenix!
  • kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    As a TWDT noob, I don't know what that is. But after reading zer's comment, I predict it is a scorecard of some sort.

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • stabn_stabn_ Registered User regular
    You travel from bar to bar and challenge another house with spells (drinks) that fulfill the challenge for your scorecard for that bar. Also you talk and have fun with other people that are going to PAX and raise some money for child's play.

Slytherin Headboy: Order of the Phoenix!
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    It looks like the pieces on the scorecard wouldn't assemble into a full circle. Is there some significance to that? Or am I just poor at head-jigsaw.

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Are house songs still a thing? Cause I have a suggestion for Ravenclaw OotP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPJD3qcIL7s

It may have been suggested in past years. That doesn't invalidate it's awesomeness.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to the tournament again. It's been a great time every year.

camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    I would like to add that since this is typically such a big event and we tend to slam the bars with tons of people, you are encouraged to bring and pay in cash. If you must pay with a card, by all means do what's best for you. Just be considerate to the many wonderful bartenders and servers who will be overwhelmed by our presence. ;D

6rceun58332p.png
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Try and also have a mix of denominations if you're bringing cash. It is going to be a lot quicker if you don't have to wait for change. Unless you're Canadian and don't understand money that is not funnily colored. Then it will probably still take a while.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    contrefait wrote: »
    Try and also have a mix of denominations if you're bringing cash. It is going to be a lot quicker if you don't have to wait for change. Unless you're Canadian and don't understand money that is not funnily colored. Then it will probably still take a while.

Funnily colored and plastic!

6rceun58332p.png
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular

There was more than one incident during last years triwizard where I thought i tipped a few ones..but found out a few minutes later when totalling my cash that I must have accidentally slipped a 20 in with the ones since they all look the damned same :(

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

There was more than one incident during last years triwizard where I thought i tipped a few ones..but found out a few minutes later when totalling my cash that I must have accidentally slipped a 20 in with the ones since they all look the damned same :(

As a resident of the US, I'm used to our money, but when I'm drunk it's a whole other ballgame. To solve this, I make full use of my cargo pants. Each pocket gets a different denomination. I bet this solution isn't for everyone, but it works for me.

• LerlertHerbLerlertHerb MerdwerstRegistered User regular

I've done the same thing and I'm used to our currency.... I blame it on booze and poor lighting. Try getting a few rolls of dollar coins when you do your currency exchange.

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Try and also have a mix of denominations if you're bringing cash. It is going to be a lot quicker if you don't have to wait for change. Unless you're Canadian from the rest of the world and don't understand money that is not funnily colored vastly superior is almost every way. Then it will probably still take a while.

FTFY

I've done the same thing and I'm used to our currency.... I blame it on booze and poor lighting. Try getting a few rolls of dollar coins when you do your currency exchange.

American money sticks together worse than a 14-year-old's Playboy stash.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    Late to the game but where did the artwork for those crests come from?

Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Easy way to ID me? My staff. Ravenclaw colors.
    ws08.jpg

That's my custom joystick tap handle atop a 60" walking stick.

EDIT: With sound system installed. For blasting out songs and public address. Still needs the backup battery installed but that's on it's way. Still, I gotta hide that ugly green crap.

gguq.jpg

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
    that is wonderful.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    And now for a message from your Slytherin Death Eater Head of House: MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That is all.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • MagicSwordKingMagicSwordKing | (• ◡•)|╯╰(❍ᴥ❍ʋ) PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    Very excited. Somewhat dismayed that I won't be able to bring the wizard's staff I crafted in art class back in high school. It has a quartz crystal with embedded blue LEDs and all.

Aperture Safety Personal Observation Tester for Aperture Testing and Observation, Honorary Alphanaut, Grandmaster of the Tychonian Guard, Chronicler of the House of Brahe, Senior Editor for Mustache News, Agent of O.S.P.R.E.Y., PAX COPS Detective Inspector, and PAX Tours Saboteur.

"I think he starts in reality and ends in fantasy."
    "No he starts in fantasy and ends in chaos."
    -Anonymous
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Very excited. Somewhat dismayed that I won't be able to bring the wizard's staff I crafted in art class back in high school. It has a quartz crystal with embedded blue LEDs and all.

The hell high school did you go to that has an actually interesting sounding art class?

wWuzwvJ.png
This discussion has been closed.