As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Industry] Everything is awesome and everyone is doomed.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah it's the only way you'll be able to see "your" team play if you don't live in that team's state/vicinity. I mean I'm in Ohio and my dad is a Chargers fan so he could only see them play if they played the Browns or Bengals.

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    It will be interesting to see the effects of the omission of the Playstation NFL Sunday Ticket this season with the push Microsoft are having for NFL content on the Xbox One. If it works for Microsoft well could it be seen as a bit of a missed opportunity for Sony in the long run?

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    From GFWL facebook page:
    As part of the upcoming Xbox 360 system update, Microsoft Points will be retired, and the Xbox.com PC marketplace will be closed as of August 22, 2013. We encourage you to spend your Microsoft Points balance prior to this change. Although you will not be able to purchase new games, you can continue to enjoy previously purchased content by downloading them through the Games for Windows LIVE client software as usual. More information is available here: http://support.xbox.com/pc/pc-marketplace-closing

The link doesn't work right now.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    Hmmm... Interesting. Does this mean future games won't be using GFWL? That would be the greatest thing to happen in this industry this year.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    This is the part where they come out and reveal they're partnering with Steam.

Nosf on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Funbux retirement's been coming for a while now. All the new/recently released systems now use actual money.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Hmmm... Interesting. Does this mean future games won't be using GFWL? That would be the greatest thing to happen in this industry this year.

The greatest thing would be if GFWL dropped off the face of the Earth.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

I heard MS hired an ex-Steam manager so it will make a comeback. No doubt.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Nosf wrote: »

Considering Microsoft's corporate hard-on for clumsy, stupid attempts at trying to force people into systems Microsoft owns and controls, I'd say there's about as much chance of Microsoft joining up with Steam as burning down the ocean with a box of matches.

I heard MS hired an ex-Steam manager so it will make a comeback. No doubt.

This, I could definitely believe. Microsoft probably won't even bother ditching the GFWL name despite the horrible reputation it has, simply because it'll at least have name recognition. Probably the best we can hope for there is that Microsoft is trying to get GFWL improved at least somewhat, enough so that the next generation of GFWL-shackled games on PC have more like more like a turd appetizer dumped on them instead of an entire turd buffet line. Facelift, redesign, hype it, shove it out the door, and forget about it for another 5-10 years except for cramming it into as many games as they can sucker in devs to use it.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    $350 for a season of football, christ.

Very odd that neither PlayStation nor Xbox will have it this year... maybe DirecTV has some kind of deal? Or maybe the NFL is getting annoying.

The difference between what it costs for Cable companies to have ESPN and what it costs for any other channel ever is staggering.

Sports are just ... damn.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2013

Trading one online-only platform for another? No thanks, it's enough of a headache as is.

Synthesis on
    Steam is far less obtrusive than GFWL though.

shryke wrote: »

Very odd that neither PlayStation nor Xbox will have it this year... maybe DirecTV has some kind of deal? Or maybe the NFL is getting annoying.

The difference between what it costs for Cable companies to have ESPN and what it costs for any other channel ever is staggering.

I don't understand what ESPN even pays for anymore. I mean cable companies pay THEM to put their stuff on their network.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

I don't understand what ESPN even pays for anymore. I mean cable companies pay THEM to put their stuff on their network.

Rights to broadcast sports (very expensive for highly coveted leagues, and plus they attempt to buy rights to all the sports everywhere), then of course the actual costs involved in broadcasting them. Also, some ridiculous fucking building for Sportscenter that is apparently so expensive that they're laying off staff to pay for it.

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    ESPN pays huge sums to the leagues (NFL, MLB, NCAA, etc) for the broadcasting rights, which in turn people demand to see, which in turn means ESPN can force the hand of every cable service to pay them their astronomical fee per viewer. No ESPN means no subscribers for the cable company.

I don't know the specifics but its something crazy like 8 times the normal rate a cable channel charges a cable provider. Whereas something like AMC may get 40 cents per subscriber ESPN demands like 3 dollars.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Wait, is MS killing off Games For Windows Live or is it just going on hiatus? O_o

Well, it's kind of pointless for GFWL to have an app store given the existence of the Windows 8 app store, and Microsoft is desperate to get people to use the latter.

• PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular

ESPN has to pay the various sports leagues for the right to broadcast the events. Monday night football alone, the one game they get a week for 16 weeks, cost 1.9 billion/year. 1.9 billion for 16 3-hour broadcasts a year.

Obviously the rights to the Scripps spelling bee and the women's softball championships are a bit cheaper but still.

On the distributor side, DirectTv paid like 700 million per year to keep Sunday ticket exclusivity, but this means that every sports bar in America has to have DirectTv if they want all the NFL games, and they charge 1500 min just for Sunday ticket. And since you have to have DirectTv anyway might as well buy their NBA, MLB package as well.

When the Pac-12 network decided to go Dish exclusive we could barely find any place that carried the games because everyone has DirectTv. A handful of bars in one of the largest cities in the country

Shit's crazy.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Steam is far less obtrusive than GFWL though.

it's not online-only, either.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    I feel like I learned a lot on this page.

To tie it back into video games, the current DirectTv contract is up in 2014, so maybe Microsoft makes a bid to carry the online portion of Sunday Ticket exclusively on Xbox. I'd be curious to see how much Sony was paying the last two years to offer the service and what caused them to discontinue it.

Oh, they really did buy exclusivity? That might explain why neither the PlayStation nor Xbox will have it this season. DirecTV might have just offered more.

Oh, they really did buy exclusivity? That might explain why neither the PlayStation nor Xbox will have it this season. DirecTV might have just offered more.

As far as I know Sunday ticket has been DirectTv exclusive since they created it in 94. Part of the terms of their renewal in 09 was that they had to create an online version for people that couldn't get DirectTv. This is what PlayStation was running the past two years, which as a benefit was an easier way to connect to your tv than running an htpc or whatever. Now it's apparently back to pc tablet phone only. Whether Sony, DirectTv or the NFL decided to discontinue the option is unknown.

• UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Judge halves $30.2 million infringement award against Nintendo
    (Reuters) - A U.S. judge on Wednesday ruled that inventor Seijiro Tomita can take half the $30.2 million in damages awarded him after a jury found Nintendo Co infringed one of his patents, or risk getting nothing.

The federal jury in New York awarded Tomita the damages in March after deciding the video game company infringed a 3-D display technology patent with its handheld 3DS videogame system.

Tomita's patent related to technology he developed for providing 3-D images without the need for 3-D glasses. He sued Nintendo and its U.S. unit in 2011 for patent infringement.

In a ruling on Wednesday, federal judge Jed Rakoff deemed the award "'intrinsically excessive' and unsupported by the evidence presented at trial."

By August 23, Tomita, 59, must decide whether to accept $15.1 million in damages or proceed to a new damages trial, the U.S. district judge ruled.

Rakoff noted that evidence at the trial showed Nintendo's 3DS console is not profitable, and the vast majority of games designed for it do not use technology covered by Tomita's patent.

The judge denied other requests from Nintendo, including overturning the jury's verdict or granting a new liability trial.

"Nintendo respects the intellectual property rights of other companies and is confident that none of its products infringes the asserted patent," Charlie Scibetta, a spokesman for Nintendo, said in a statement. "Nintendo will appeal the jury's verdict and reduced damages award to the court of appeals."

Joe Diamante, Tomita's lawyer, said that "We are still reviewing the decision and have no comment."

The case is Tomita Technologies USA, LLC et al v. Nintendo Co, Ltd et al, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 11-cv-4256.

What surprised me the most here is that the 3DS isn't profitable. I thought it was a huge money spinner. With the WiiU doing so badly, and so close to their first ever annual loss... Ouch.

Keep in mind that the court was likely looking only at the profitability of 3DS devices, and not the game licensing and publishing side of the 3DS business.

SteamID : same as my PA forum name
    edited August 2013
    Henroid wrote: »
    Wait, is MS killing off Games For Windows Live or is it just going on hiatus? O_o

They're doing away with the GFWL Marketplace. GFWL is still in use. The one time that I felt like it was causing me an astounding level of grief, it turned out to be some weird driver issue with my network card. I do think there's an issue wherein you can set a password on Outlook.com / Live.com that the GFWL client won't accept it however. I know there's also a thread on Neogaf with people fall all over themselves analyzing vague steam changes to the older Batman games and trumpeting it as proof that they're going to remove both GFWL and Securom from those games. The thing is...why would they bother too? Why would they go and change old games like that, when the new one is coming out? Sounds like some weird wishful thinking. I know people complain about saved games as well, it stores them in a weird spot as a result of trying to keep achievements secure - that said, I just moved to an SSD and was able to grab all my saved games for stuff except Arkham City, which apparently had a save game eating bug outside of GFWL.
    Well, it's kind of pointless for GFWL to have an app store given the existence of the Windows 8 app store, and Microsoft is desperate to get people to use the latter.

Doesn't make sense to have both. They have a Microsoft web store too apparently that doesn't seem to be linked to either the GFWL marketplace or the new Windows App store. I can imagine it creates all sorts of headaches.

Nosf on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Judge halves $30.2 million infringement award against Nintendo
    (Reuters) - A U.S. judge on Wednesday ruled that inventor Seijiro Tomita can take half the $30.2 million in damages awarded him after a jury found Nintendo Co infringed one of his patents, or risk getting nothing.

The federal jury in New York awarded Tomita the damages in March after deciding the video game company infringed a 3-D display technology patent with its handheld 3DS videogame system.

Tomita's patent related to technology he developed for providing 3-D images without the need for 3-D glasses. He sued Nintendo and its U.S. unit in 2011 for patent infringement.

In a ruling on Wednesday, federal judge Jed Rakoff deemed the award "'intrinsically excessive' and unsupported by the evidence presented at trial."

By August 23, Tomita, 59, must decide whether to accept $15.1 million in damages or proceed to a new damages trial, the U.S. district judge ruled.

Rakoff noted that evidence at the trial showed Nintendo's 3DS console is not profitable, and the vast majority of games designed for it do not use technology covered by Tomita's patent.

The judge denied other requests from Nintendo, including overturning the jury's verdict or granting a new liability trial.

"Nintendo respects the intellectual property rights of other companies and is confident that none of its products infringes the asserted patent," Charlie Scibetta, a spokesman for Nintendo, said in a statement. "Nintendo will appeal the jury's verdict and reduced damages award to the court of appeals."

Joe Diamante, Tomita's lawyer, said that "We are still reviewing the decision and have no comment."

The case is Tomita Technologies USA, LLC et al v. Nintendo Co, Ltd et al, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 11-cv-4256.

What surprised me the most here is that the 3DS isn't profitable. I thought it was a huge money spinner. With the WiiU doing so badly, and so close to their first ever annual loss... Ouch.

Keep in mind that the court was likely looking only at the profitability of 3DS devices, and not the game licensing and publishing side of the 3DS business.

Also they will have a big old number assigned to R&D for the handheld that will cover a lot of people for years before it's release.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited August 2013
    So Kotaku has been posting some stuff about Prey 2 at Arkane, and got some internal emails today that reference some of the shenanigans surrounding Zenimax apparently taking it away from Human Head and giving it to Arkane. By giving it to, I mean, "Here, shut up and work on this." I always thought of Zenimax as a sort of innocuous publisher, maybe even a boutique publisher given their acquiring Bethesda and id until I read some other stuff.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=60536433&postcount=71 So yeah, that's not terribly well sourced or relibable I know. There's also http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/what-went-wrong-with-human-heads-prey-2

Is Zenimax gunning for EA's crown of evil? There's lots of other little things, the New Vegas bonus denial over 1 point on Metacritic, how they handled Demon's Forge with inXile and Splash Damage's Brink.

Nosf on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Well. This showed up in my Twitter feed.
    So is EA bad at maths or have they gone "full evil" with their microtransactions.
    9fNEYQb.jpg

I've talked about there being a well-meaning side to microtransactions and the abusive dark side. This is definitely the latter.

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Well, I guess it's the "Best Deal" for EA.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Nah, the first one is 8 pounds / 20k, so it's not the best deal for anyone

I love the description on that second one. "This will buy me a thing or two." How honest.

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    I like how the second one actually says this will buy me a thing or two.

Doesn't sound worth it.

Microtransactions are fucking creepy. It's 'a guy selling you the first hit of smack for cheap because....' levels of creepy.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So Kotaku has been posting some stuff about Prey 2 at Arkane, and got some internal emails today that reference some of the shenanigans surrounding Zenimax apparently taking it away from Human Head and giving it to Arkane. By giving it to, I mean, "Here, shut up and work on this." I always thought of Zenimax as a sort of innocuous publisher, maybe even a boutique publisher given their acquiring Bethesda and id until I read some other stuff.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=60536433&postcount=71 So yeah, that's not terribly well sourced or relibable I know. There's also http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/what-went-wrong-with-human-heads-prey-2

Is Zenimax gunning for EA's crown of evil? There's lots of other little things, the New Vegas bonus denial over 1 point on Metacritic, how they handled Demon's Forge with inXile and Splash Damage's Brink.

This whole Press Sneak Fuck thing is pretty cute.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Most reviews seemed to be of the opinion that the game works better if you don't spend a dime on the microtransactions, anyways.

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    engadget.com/2013/08/15/sony-tv/
    Sony's reportedly made some headway on a solution that may well convince a number of subscribers to cut their cable cords once and for all. According to The Wall Street Journal's usual gang of anonymous sources, the electronics giant is in talks with several high profile media organizations to help populate an internet-based service that will stream channels and offer up on-demand content. The offering, which Sony is apparently looking to launch by the end of the year, would be the realization of some long time aspirations. Viacom is apparently at top of the list of potential partners, as the home of channels like MTV, Comedy Central and Nickelodeon. That deal is said to be in the preliminary agreement stage, news that comes a few weeks after Viacom inked a deal with Twitter. According to the WSJ, Sony's also been holding meetings with a number of other content providers like Disney, Time Warner and CBS. All parties involved have, naturally, refused to comment.

though just rumours and speculation this could be pretty huge.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

They're doing away with the GFWL Marketplace. GFWL is still in use. The one time that I felt like it was causing me an astounding level of grief, it turned out to be some weird driver issue with my network card. I do think there's an issue wherein you can set a password on Outlook.com / Live.com that the GFWL client won't accept it however. I know there's also a thread on Neogaf with people fall all over themselves analyzing vague steam changes to the older Batman games and trumpeting it as proof that they're going to remove both GFWL and Securom from those games. The thing is...why would they bother too? Why would they go and change old games like that, when the new one is coming out? Sounds like some weird wishful thinking. I know people complain about saved games as well, it stores them in a weird spot as a result of trying to keep achievements secure - that said, I just moved to an SSD and was able to grab all my saved games for stuff except Arkham City, which apparently had a save game eating bug outside of GFWL.

Doesn't make sense to have both. They have a Microsoft web store too apparently that doesn't seem to be linked to either the GFWL marketplace or the new Windows App store. I can imagine it creates all sorts of headaches.

Bodes super well for some stuff that can only be bought on the gfwl marketplace (e.g. Bioshock 2's DLC).

• slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    NPDs are out:
    137660406381bpqzv.jpg

also:
    ""If the top software was ranked on an SKU basis, the following would have made the top 10 for July: 3DS Shin Megami Tensei IV; 3DS Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon; 360 Grand Theft Auto IV: The Complete Edition.""

Lastly, 3DS sales are 1.5M lower after 29 mos compared to the NDS at 29 mos.

slash000 on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Some Nintendo info from the July NPD
    Nintendo 3DS continued to build momentum in 2013 and finished as the best-selling video game system in the U.S. for the third consecutive month. A strong second month for Animal Crossing: New Leaf helped sales of Nintendo 3DS hardware and software increase by 14 and 45 percent, respectively, over the same time frame last year.

Highlights for the month include:

Animal Crossing: New Leaf sold more than 150,000 combined physical and digital units in its second month on the market, bringing its lifetime total to more than 660,000 combined units.

The lifetime total for Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon for Nintendo 3DS surpassed 820,000 combined physical and digital units.

New Super Mario Bros. U for Wii U surpassed 830,000 lifetime sales of combined physical and digital units.

EarthBound launched July 18 for the Virtual Console service on the Nintendo eShop for Wii U and is off to a great start. Only two eShop titles, New Super Luigi U and Pikmin 3, generated more consumer spend in the same time period since launch.

Nintendo 3DS and Wii U fans will have a lot to play this summer and through the rest of 2013. Starting with the recently released Pikmin 3 (Wii U, Aug. 4) and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (Nintendo 3DS, Aug. 11) and continuing with The Wonderful 101 (Wii U, Sept. 15), Pokémon X and Pokémon Y (Nintendo 3DS, Oct. 12), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Wii U, October), Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U, November), The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Nintendo 3DS, November) and Super Mario 3D World (Wii U, December).

*Data regarding physical sales of games in July are from the NPD Group. Data regarding digital downloads of games and combined physical/digital life-to-date numbers are from Nintendo’s internal sales figures. All numbers are specific to the United States only.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Aw man, I'm kinda sad that Animal Crossing's momentum isn't carrying on in NA like it did in Japan.

This discussion has been closed.