As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Payday 2: Fuck the Police, IT'S SPRING BREAK!

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited March 2015 in Social Entropy++
YugukIv.jpg
I ain't afraid no more.

Payday 2 is, obviously, the sequel to Payday: The Heist, and both games come from Overkill Software.

The first game was a co-op shooter that put you in several heists with the goal being to score a bunch of money. Impeding you was The Man in the form of an angry tide of police enforcement, and players had to juggle their criminal tasks while keeping the fuzz at bay. The game had randomized elements to a degree in order to keep things from getting predictable, as well as multiple difficulties and a leveling system to give you a variety of items and weapons to use. I guess if you want to be mean, you could call it Left 4 Dead with zombies replaced with cops, but I feel that's being a bit unfair and the two games offer their own unique fun.

Payday 2 is available on the 360, PS3, and PC via Steam. It's around $29.99, and you can also get a four-pack on Steam for $89.99. Note: most people are playing on PC, as free updates come out more frequently. The game is coming to next-gen systems in the summer, and will include just about all the DLC and updates the PC version has enjoyed. Overkill claims that the XB1 and PS4 editions will be updated about as frequently as the PC, so if you prefer couch heists then look into it.

There's a ton of DLC available for the game, some paid and a lot is free. Furthermore, Overkill is pretty cool about DLC, and only one person needs to own DLC for a heist in order for the whole party to play it.

What's New in Payday 2?

Payday 2 has a significantly larger budget along with a new publisher: Starbreeze of Escape from Butcher Bay fame. The result is a much deeper experience with a lot of new features.
  • Uses Diesel Engine 2.0 for nicer graphic times.
  • Instead of the previous leveling system, you now have five classes with skill trees. This time around you cannot get everything, but roles are more clearly defined and skill choices matter more.
  • Purchase skills, weaponry, weapon mods, and masks with actual cash from your jobs. You can take bigger risks in a job by grabbing more loot or play it safe and bail early.
  • Customize masks with decals, textures, and colors.
  • Players can now stealth a job, which means completely completing a job without police being alarmed. Stealth is difficult and requires heavy coordination, but full stealth means you can get all the aforementioned optional cash in a level. Stealth is useful even if you eventually trip an alarm, as it delays police assaults.
  • Crime Net now generates missions at random. This means that you have less control over what you pick, but it also means you don't run the same mission over and over because your friends care more about grinding levels than fun having.
  • As a result of the above, special "Pro Jobs" can appear, which are one-shot missions that offer bonus rewards. Fail, and there will be no retry option until the next Pro Job pops up in Crime Net.
  • A heist can now take place over multiple days, resulting in a large Pay Day at the end. How you perform each day will change how the next day plays out. Fail to cook enough meth to pay off some local gang members for vital information, and you'll have to spend time fighting said gang to steal the info.
  • More random elements. Sometimes police will pump nerve gas into the bank. Sometimes you'll have to do a short, extra mission between days to escape police. It'll take a while for heists to get super stale.
  • Plenty of heists and, when taking days into consideration, equals to over 30 maps. Five Difficulty levels: Normal, Hard, Very Hard, Overkill, and Death Wish.

You can play with the skill calculator here, but the following is a brief rundown of the four classes.

U7tw6pg.png
Every good heist needs crowd control, and the Mastermind is the person you want for that job. Masterminds specialize in manipulating others, be it civilians or even their fellow criminals. A low-level player can offer med kits to heal wounded players or obtain more hostages with increase cable tie capacity, whereas a higher level players can get civilians to revive them, revive fellow crooks faster, or even convince law enforcement to turn traitor and work for you.

Masterminds tend to work with pistols and rifles.

TrjFhyk.png
If you want muscle, then hire a good Enforcer. Intelligent gunman covered in thick armor, Enforcers provide the necessary firepower for when things get hairy. Low-level Enforcers carry the group's spare ammunition and assist with heavy lifting, but a high level wears exclusive experimental armor, can use a saw to quickly bust through doors or barriers, and can take loads of punishment before going down.

Enforcers favor shotguns.

KLbC1J7.png
In today's world, many financial institution enjoy the protection offered by bleeding edge technology, and that's where the Technician comes in. Technicians handle the machinery needed to get to the loot. A lot level Technician will bring a few explosives, and a high level Technician can install deadly sentry guns, drill through the toughest safes and doors quickly, and even modify their tripwire mines to blow open particularly stubborn objectives.

Technicians favor rifles, particularly for sniping.

gD7jC4Z.png
The best heist is one nobody knows about until you're back at the safe house counting your take. This is the Ghost's area of expertise, sneaking into areas unnoticed and quietly dealing with obstacles. Even if you're eventually caught, a Ghost can allow a crew to make serious headway on a heist before the alarms go off. Low level Ghosts can jam communication devices and dodge gunfire, whereas a high level Ghost will swiftly and silently pick a variety of locks, bag bodies for hiding, and modify their jammers to open electronic locks or incapacitate enemies.

Ghosts favor silenced weapons.

Fugitive
Adapted to life on the run, a fugitive specializes in keeping a low profile and being particularly slippery when things get hot. They can drop first aid kits that allow their fellow heisters to patch themselves up quickly, a handy tool when time is of the essence. They boast an uncanny ability to dodge incoming fire, and are good at keeping things clean and quiet when trying to go stealth.

Fugitives favor dual-wielding pistols, with a penchant for melee attacks.

Tips for New Players!
  • Visit the Safe House. You get a level and some cash. A lot of cash if you preordered. This means you can get your first skill and won't be as useless.
  • Buy new weapons ASAP. The starter weapons are awful peashooters. I recommend buying the Crosskill, a pistol that you might stick with for the rest of your criminal career. The AK is a wonderful rifle although you may find yourself running out of ammo.
  • Perk Decks replace tier bonuses from skills. It's highly recommended you stick with one deck at the start, because the decks offer XP and item drop bonuses as you build them. Once a deck is finished you can start building other decks.
  • Repeating the same heist incurs an XP penalty!
  • Starting at level 50, you unlock an alternate skill set in case you wish to have a stealth or loud build handy.
  • An enemy that goes down is not necessarily dead. The two exceptions to this is if the helmet or weapon flies off. An enemy that loses their helmet or weapon is dead.
  • Paygrade is general level-based difficulty (white dots) and then you have difficulty level (yellow dots). You will probably be perfectly capable of doing an Overkill (three yellow) Four Stores (one white) heist in your mid teens or even earlier. Go for harder stuff for more cash and XP!
  • Enemies drop ammo! Sometimes it's worth it to take a risk and briefly sprint for some some extra bullets.
  • You can only be downed but so many times before your next time being downed will instantly put you in custody (remove you from play). You'll notice your vision loses a bit of color when you're on your last legs.
  • Stay close and cover backs. Enemies spawn where there is no line of sight by players. Try to form a triangle that covers all exits while one player is a roamer that does objectives or relieves a player that needs ammo or a med kit.
  • Tie up hostages, as this will reduce assault timers, and hostages can also be exchanged for a player who has be put in custody.
  • You can move one hostage at a time by holding F near a tied up hostage and SLOWLY lead them somewhere. Try to keep hostages near your current objective, as cops can and will try to free them.
  • Try to use casing mode to scout around and take of as much as possible. Unlock doors, note safes and objectives, and so forth. Assaults get progressively worse, so delaying the first one as much as possible will increase your odds of success.
  • Keep multiple routes of escape open. Having four of your hold down one room seems smart until a shield or bulldozer(s) wreck your collective shit.
  • Try to stay on the offensive during an assault. Killing more enemies will make the assault end sooner; just be smart about it.
  • Head shots deal the most damage, and should be your goal. However, sometimes aiming for center mass on a crowd can be smarter, as it will suppress the enemy and a few of them will likely be temporarily knocked down by the hits.
  • There are different hit sounds for when a hit against you ate armor or ate health. Learn to distinguish the two.
  • Highlight special enemies by hitting F. This temporarily highlights the enemy and allows your crew to see said enemy through walls. This is particularly useful when dealing with shields and snipers.
  • Use iron sights. Love iron sights.
  • As you level, you should try to delineate tasks by skills. For example, the slow enforcer should be tossing bags while providing cover fire for a quicker Mastermind or Ghost. The Techie should be staying near the drill. This heavily varies by build (it's entirely possible for an Enforcer to forgo armor for speed), but you should sort this out before starting a heist.
  • Elements are highly randomized. Do not assume something will be the same unless you've run the heist enough to know most iterations of random elements.

VIDEOS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb-_DKC6wc4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v_Y_3-7-pQ

(Note, the following video was done during beta, and a lot of things have been nerfed in order to make stealth harder!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk8OWX85PXA

SCREENSHOTS!

tC9tBlD.jpg?1

lxI0hwX.jpg?1

81uxMMy.jpg?1

rspP3Wl.jpg?1

LET'S MAKE SOME MONEY.

PC

Forum Handle - Steam Handle

Melding - Melding
Rorus Raz - Rorus Raz
Snowbeat - againstreet
Der Waffle Mouse - Der_Waffle_Mouse
JMan711- JMan711

Forum Handle - XBL Handle

Deadfall - HowYouGetAnts

PS3

SOON

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    the shotgun you get at level 8 is pretty much the best gun if you're an enforcer. maybe even if you aren't, i wouldn't know. Even on overkill a head shot is usually a one hit kill on everything but bulldozers.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I saw this previewed.

It looks super cool.

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I am really looking forward to getting this the second I have money to spare

• BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    To anyone on the fence about this, @anon the felon myself and megamek are looking to get a 4-pack. Just need one more to reap the benefits of a slightly cheaper product!

On a side note, is there any possibility of this having steam workshop support?

BradicusMaximus on
    Also do not buy the assault shotgun. it is shit.

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    To anyone on the fence about this, @anon the felon myself and megamek are looking to get a 4-pack. Just need one more to reap the benefits of a slightly cheaper product!

How much is each copy with the 4-pack?

• AwkoAwko About to poison the waterhole.Registered User regular
    I don't know if it got patched out in release, but in the beta you could easily farm item cards by playing easy difficulty jewellery store heists.

Just charge in, smash a case, grab the jewels and get out.

My group had it down to around 30 seconds per run.

Awko wrote: »
    I don't know if it got patched out in release, but in the beta you could easily farm item cards by playing easy difficulty jewellery store heists.

Just charge in, smash a case, grab the jewels and get out.

My group had it down to around 30 seconds per run.

no, you can still pretty much still do that. if you're bad at stealth four stores is faster, takes less than two minutes. can be done on overkill in that much time too. just saw open the ATMs, leave.

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Stealth is hard on some missions. My friend and I are thoroughly enjoying this though!

PSN: ThatDaveFella
    edited August 2013
    Gatsby wrote: »
    To anyone on the fence about this, "anon the felon" myself and megamek are looking to get a 4-pack. Just need one more to reap the benefits of a slightly cheaper product!

How much is each copy with the 4-pack?

Something like 23 bucks

BradicusMaximus on
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    It's times like this that I wish Kane and Lynch 2 wasn't an almost complete waste of time and talent.

The mp in that game was so cool. Shame the game was a pile of poop

• HadesHades Registered User regular
    The soundtrack is fantastic. Also the JP36 assault rifle is terrible, takes more than half a mag to kill swat.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    man I am super into the concept of this game.

I was so sad that we couldn't get the gold from the senators house because stealthing is just ridiculous on that mission.

yeah I'm going to start saving up for this on steam

I would be down to play this with some more people. Public games are hit and miss and people get mad at you if you fuck it up.

• Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    I have no idea what kind of a build I want. Just getting more and more mastermind stuff because no one ever brings a fucking medkit.

If anyone wants to play when my regular group isn't around add me on steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/burningorgan/

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    @BradicusMaximus, @MegaMek, and I need one more for a four pack.

Message me.

Tell me you want to commit felonious crimes with me.

Whisper sweet heists into my ear.

This game has some connection problems apparently. Which sucks like hell because I want to play with my friends, but no one can make a game and if a game can be made it cannot be joined.
    So there's still some issues with the game.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Still waiting on gamestop to get a 360 version in stock. Any others going for 360 Crime Time?

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I liked the Cocaine job in this game.

I want to play it some more.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    This game looks super neato. I wonder how the ps3 version runs.

Was gonna send a friend invite to everyone in this thread.
    Turns out there's only one steam ID apart from mine here :(

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Join the Crime Time chat.

Find heists.

• One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Still waiting on gamestop to get a 360 version in stock. Any others going for 360 Crime Time?

I probably will? One of the console versions, in any case.

• ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    aaaaaahhhh

chucking a bag of drugs or cash or whatever off of a bridge to a helicopter and watching it miss by like a foot while the rest of your team is watching is the worst

need to ace that mule thing

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular

Yes hello this is me.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    @Abracadaniel just gave me this because he is the nucest

Nucest

Not the same old incest

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I am playing this game sometimes!

I need to level up more and get more new perks and weapons and whatnot and get the new heists cuz the beta almost burned me out on the friggin' jewelry store

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    seriously though you have all the guns you need by level 8. you got the crosskill pistol and the remmington shotgun. The secondary shotgun is also good if you need two shotguns.

Which you will, because this game's shotguns are amazing.

you can throw all the other guns away. which i did during the beta when it seemed they changed tit to only unlock mods guns you own can use.

• MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I picked this game up last night as a belated birthday present from my folks. I don't have a lot of time for gaming right now, but everyone feel free to add Morblitz and inquire if you need a team (because single player fucking SUCKS).

It's a lot of fun, but intense. I got yelled at briefly (he apologised) for goofing up a jewellery heist rush on my second ever game.

Also I havn't yet levelled up, but I'm thinking ghost based on the description above. The ability to jam alarms and stuff sounds pretty cool - but are ghosts the core of the team? Like if they screw up (picking locks etc) does the whole mission go pear shaped?

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
    i've done a job with four enforcers.

It was, unpleasant. but i got about thirty grand spending money out of it.

No job seems to be completely vital, but i'm sure there are a lot of missions where having a good ghost will make it a lot easier to hold off on being caught.

• Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    I own this. Gimme a shout if you need more for heisting, I need a more regular group that might actually try stealthing a job once or twice.

All my jobs just end up with a shootout with the FBI.