As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Things to checkout before PAX

2»

• Options
    ramen215ramen215 Registered User regular

About how long is the underground tour?

Their website says the tours start "on the hour," not sure if that means they are exactly 1 hour long, or if multiple tours overlap

http://www.undergroundtour.com/about/index.html

Track Record: ~Prime '12 Prime '13
  • Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Does anyone know when planning and stuff for the MMT starts up? A lot of this stuff like the underground tour and valve sounds cool, but it also sounds like stuff they might do so I don't wanna get my little group all organized to do these things if they will probably do them and we could just go with all the PAXers instead of the 5-10 of us

sanovah on
  • Options
    cedelacruzcedelacruz Kirkland WARegistered User regular
    that is awesome! I'll wait and visit to see that and the art of videogames exhibit at the same time!!
    kcrobinson wrote: »
    That EMP Fantasy exhibit will allow you to get a photo of yourself sitting on the Iron Throne from Game of Thrones!

http://www.empmuseum.org/at-the-museum/upcoming-exhibits/fantasy-worlds-of-myth-and-magic.aspx

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Considering how far out PAX is, probably not for another month at least. Try shooting a message to whoever organized it last year, they probably could help you out.

Again, PAX is pretty far out right now, so making the plans isn't a bad idea. It's always possible the MMT doesn't happen (unlikely, but possible) and/or the things they decide to do don't interest you as much as other things you could be doing.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    sanovah wrote: »
    Does anyone know when planning and stuff for the MMT starts up? A lot of this stuff like the underground tour and valve sounds cool, but it also sounds like stuff they might do so I don't wanna get my little group all organized to do these things if they will probably do them and we could just go with all the PAXers instead of the 5-10 of us

@Punzie is the de facto coordinator for the MMT. She's going to be working the Cookie Brigade for PAX Au and probably has her hands doubly full right now.

Just a consideration: the discussion threads for Prime are going up ree-donk-yoolusly early this year, but that doesn't obligate the volunteers who coordinate the events to follow suit. Last year's thread didn't go up until May.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

@Punzie is the de facto coordinator for the MMT. She's going to be working the Cookie Brigade for PAX Au and probably has her hands doubly full right now.

Just a consideration: the discussion threads for Prime are going up ree-donk-yoolusly early this year, but that doesn't obligate the volunteers who coordinate the events to follow suit. Last year's thread didn't go up until May.

Oh yeah I figured stuff was up hella early since the forums aren't blowing up yet. I just skipped last years MMT because of my arrival time so I wasn't sure when it normally went up. But if she's that busy and it doesn't normally go up until then I guess I'll just schedule my groups thing and we can always cancel if they our stuff and MMT lines up. Or probably msg her and see if I can't help in any way

sanovah on
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    Ok ok I'm gonna put up the MMT thread in just a minute... (And steal a couple of the ideas you guys have mentioned in this thread :P)

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    DarkAonDarkAon Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    skitch78 wrote: »
    There's also a good chance the seahawks will play a pre-season game at some point that week. Last year they played the Raiders on Thursday night, and a seahawks game at centurylink is brilliant. It's preseason, but still good. I went to that game and the Mondeay Night Touchbackdown debacle a few weeks later. Partly despite, and partly because of, that unfortunate situation it was one of the most incredible sporting experiences I've ever been to. if they play on that thursday night again you can already count on me being in the stadium.

The Seahawks schedule is published, and yes, they are playing the Raiders again on Thurs (Aug 29th) this year as well.

Win. When the schedule was posted the pre-season games hadn't been posted yet. I'll more than likely be going to that with the guy I go to PAX with.

Where's the season posted and how much are Seahawks games? Can't find anything on their site

Went to the game before PAX last year, so I'll share some helpful hints. I don't think they post the preseason schedule on the Seahawks website until the summer. Preseason game ticketing information from the stadium won't be available till July sometime, or at least that was how it was last season.

Don't buy tickets from the stadium, as they will want near regular season prices, which is about $80 for nosebleeds if I remember correctly. Since season ticket holders usually don't have much interest in preseason games (especially week 3 and 4), you can get really good seats for much cheaper off of Stubhub or other ticket re-sellers. We got first-level tickets last year for about $35 and had a great view of the field.

Being week 4 of the preseason, expect the starters to only play the first quarter or first half at best, and be rested for the remainder of the game.

Also, if you are staying at or near the convention center, Seattle's LINK light rail is a great way to get to the stadium without much hassle.

gdGxyA3
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    DarkAon wrote: »
    There's also a good chance the seahawks will play a pre-season game at some point that week. Last year they played the Raiders on Thursday night, and a seahawks game at centurylink is brilliant. It's preseason, but still good. I went to that game and the Mondeay Night Touchbackdown debacle a few weeks later. Partly despite, and partly because of, that unfortunate situation it was one of the most incredible sporting experiences I've ever been to. if they play on that thursday night again you can already count on me being in the stadium.

The Seahawks schedule is published, and yes, they are playing the Raiders again on Thurs (Aug 29th) this year as well.

Win. When the schedule was posted the pre-season games hadn't been posted yet. I'll more than likely be going to that with the guy I go to PAX with.

Where's the season posted and how much are Seahawks games? Can't find anything on their site

Went to the game before PAX last year, so I'll share some helpful hints. I don't think they post the preseason schedule on the Seahawks website until the summer. Preseason game ticketing information from the stadium won't be available till July sometime, or at least that was how it was last season.

Don't buy tickets from the stadium, as they will want near regular season prices, which is about $80 for nosebleeds if I remember correctly. Since season ticket holders usually don't have much interest in preseason games (especially week 3 and 4), you can get really good seats for much cheaper off of Stubhub or other ticket re-sellers. We got first-level tickets last year for about $35 and had a great view of the field.

Being week 4 of the preseason, expect the starters to only play the first quarter or first half at best, and be rested for the remainder of the game.

Also, if you are staying at or near the convention center, Seattle's LINK light rail is a great way to get to the stadium without much hassle.

Broheim, the schedule is up, we're playing the Raider's August 29th.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    Thunderous_TThunderous_T Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    If you're looking for "game"-y type things to do, there's a set of Virtual World Battletech and Red Planet Pods up in Kirkland. Just google "The Airlock in Kirkland WA" and let them know you're coming in from out of town.

Dang this sounds amazing. Wonder how many people are in Seattle Wednesday night before PAX. Might have to try and get a group thing going up there Wednesday night

I know the owners, I'm sure they'll have some PAX specials running that week/weekend. Let me know if you do go Wednesday and I'll try to be there... I'm the official boot-camp sergeant and will teach you how to use the 50+ buttons in the pod to maximize your experience. :)

Count me as super interested in this!

Prime 2017: Tickets soon please...
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    This is more after and primarily for locals or people who are staying for a couple weeks in Seattle, but you guys are gonna get the LoZ: Symphony of the goddesses concert up there in September. It's also happening all around the US starting soon but figured I'd bring it up since it is close to PAX

sanovah on
  • Options
    StarYoshiStarYoshi Game Designer / Data Scientist USARegistered User regular
    I saw the symphony in Denver. It's definitely worth going to.

Attendance
    PAX Prime / PAX Dev 2014
    PAX Prime 2013
    PAX Prime 2009
  • Options
    skitch78skitch78 Registered User regular
    This is more after and primarily for locals or people who are staying for a couple weeks in Seattle, but you guys are gonna get the LoZ: Symphony of the goddesses concert up there in September. It's also happening all around the US starting soon but figured I'd bring it up since it is close to PAX

Did not know about this. But now I am going. Thanks! :)

• Options
    kcrobinsonkcrobinson Registered User regular
    cedelacruz wrote: »
    that is awesome! I'll wait and visit to see that and the art of videogames exhibit at the same time!!
    kcrobinson wrote: »
    That EMP Fantasy exhibit will allow you to get a photo of yourself sitting on the Iron Throne from Game of Thrones!

http://www.empmuseum.org/at-the-museum/upcoming-exhibits/fantasy-worlds-of-myth-and-magic.aspx

Sadly, the Art of Video Games will be closing in mid-May. You can see them both in one trip for only a few remaining weeks after this weekend.

• Options
    KodiSirKodiSir SeattleRegistered User regular
    The underground tour probably takes an hour. I went recently. There's not really much down there. The guides are entertaining though.
    There's a cool comic shop under the Pike Place Market. Head a little south to the International District. While you're there go to Uwajimaya (Japanese grocery/book store), Pink Gorilla (Formerly Pink Godzilla, the vintage game shop who you'll probably find at PAX), and the pet fish store with all them crazy fish. It's like a free, weird smelling aquarium.

Oh and I snuck into the Market ghost tour once. My friend and I pretended to be tourists from San Francisco. It took about 15 minutes to get kicked out. So my opinion is pretty low. From what I saw of it it seemed pretty silly. The late night underground tour is more worth your while. There are a lot of cool things to see and do depending on your interests.

• Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    Underground tour is 90 minutes. About the first 30-ish minutes are sitting in a room getting some history and then you go underground in 3 different places.

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    DarkAonDarkAon Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »
    DarkAon wrote: »

Broheim, the schedule is up, we're playing the Raider's August 29th.

So it is. I knew it was announced, but wasn't sure if they had updated the website yet. http://www.seahawks.com/schedule/season-schedule.html

gdGxyA3
  • Options
    zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    I definitely recommend the Underground Tour, Card Kingdom and Pikes Place Market. The Space Needle is pretty cool too (may be busy due to holiday weekend...)

CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
  • Options
    KodiSirKodiSir SeattleRegistered User regular
    Card Kingdom is great. Fantagraphics lives in Seattle too for the comic fans.

• Options
    FourT2FourT2 SeattleRegistered User regular
    If you want to go out of Seattle for a day trip, rent a car on priceline and do Cascade Loop Drive: http://www.cascadeloop.com/. Lots of other amazing places to see in this state

Or get a group of people on a weekday to play some paintball. There are no fields in King County that are open that I know of, so the closest one is about 40 mins away from Seattle. http://www.doodlebugsportz.com/ (average) or http://monkeytimepaintball.com/ (better).

pg1lub26cgqx.png
  • Options
    SunshineGrrrlSunshineGrrrl Seattle - EastsideRegistered User regular
    I'll give my recommendation for the Underground Tour as well. It's a blast if you like history at all and I take anyone who wants to do something touristy there. The typical tourist things are the Ducks, the Underground, the Space Needle, the EMP/Scifi Museum, Pikes Place Market, the Aquarium and Gas Works. Looks like that thursday before there's a Storm game, our WNBA Team, whom I love and are awesome. ^_^

• Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Gas Works is cool for photography but otherwise not much there and somewhat out of the way for those who have to take the bus system. Also in case for those who do not know, the bus tunnel is now NOT FREE which is a huge hassle for tourists new to the Seattle area. Pike Place will be full of tourists on that weekend but the weather should be nice. There are some decent cafes around Pike Place (I recommend Michou). If you're into architecture the University of Washington is a beautiful campus and should be fairly empty sans college kids. Plenty of cheap restaurants in that area too and two decent comic book stores in the area. I really don't suggest going to the comic store at Pike Place, it is crowded and has less comic books outside of the newest releases. Three main bus lines run to the University District the 71,72,73 which makes transport easy to and from the area and is great if you need a cheap meal while exploring. Note: For people coming into Seattle on Thursday, I believe Gameworks has an unlimited credit night for 10$; a decent arcade but the booze is expensive of course. Also for those wanting to buy video games in Seattle there is a Pink Gorilla in the U-District as well as a second hand trade shop which has a lot of titles. PG may not have their stock that week as they have a booth at PAX I think but I'm not 100% sure.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2013
    Please don't suggest things that are against the law. Paying an 18 and under fee when > 18 is theft.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Chuck Liddell FanChuck Liddell Fan Registered User regular
    Thanks for the write up Curse-Ten I'll have to check out those comic places for sure - also nice to know about the video game store.

I am kicking myself for not going to gameworks last year, it looked ultra busy and had signs saying they were filming & I stupidly thought it was a movie / TV show (can't believe I didn't think it was pax related lol) so I passed, knowing they have a relatively cheap arcade I'll be checking them out for sure!

Oh my goodness
    Oh my Dayum
    Oh my goodness
    They goin' Ham
  • Options
    BadNews65BadNews65 Data Solutions Analyst ArkansasRegistered User regular
    Gameworks is a lot of fun. However good luck finding a arcade machine to play on while pax is going on.

• Options
    Chuck Liddell FanChuck Liddell Fan Registered User regular
    ^ we're heading in a few days ahead of pax to see Seattle a bit before hitting pax up, I am hoping we can check out an arcade but if not at least we can try the food! lol

Oh my goodness
    Oh my Dayum
    Oh my goodness
    They goin' Ham
  • Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    Also in the Uni district, for those of the spooky batcave persuasion, is Gargoyles Statuary. I could easily max out my cards there buying all the things.

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    skitch78skitch78 Registered User regular
    Got my passes today, w00t!!! Some of you said you'd be interested in checking out The Airlock in Kirkland (20 min N of Seattle) while you're here - where they have 8 Tesla Battletech pods, as well as a number of arcade machines and 4 Xbox stations (for SF or Halo). I'll talk to the owner, most likely he'll give us a $25 all-night pass on Wed Aug 28th. All night means 7pm to when the last person leaves. :) I'll be there to give you a mini-bootcamp on how to use all the buttons and get the maximum experience! Not sure how these meet-ups are supposed to work, but I guess you can message me your contact info if interested and we'll get it worked out over the next week.