As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Plants vs Zombies] Garden Warfare 2 out now! Time for some online plant murder!

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited February 2016 in Games and Technology
Lucascraft on

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes made a 3 part mini-series of Jay and Silent Bob meet PvZ for San Diego Comi-Con this year. Here are those videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJX8dWX4ym4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBSl-Kfl70c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkAtT14SNgw

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    EA is putting a whole lot of advertising dollars into PvZ2, as evidenced by the fact that they paid Kevin and Jason to do those cartoons.

But they aren't being very open with what the release date is. PvZ2 is already out in Australia, and reviews are already up online for it, generally very favorable, but they aren't saying when it will be released in the US.

On the topic of Garden Warfare, I think it looks like tons of fun, and it is probably my most anticipated game on next-gen consoles, as crazy as that sounds. I just really love me some PvZ. (I own the main game in 3 different formats -- Steam, iOS, and PS3.)

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So PvZ 2 should be out worldwide tomorrow.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I would normally be happy to pay $25 or so for a game like this on PC, so if I have to spend less than that on IAP to get the "classic plants", I consider it cost of doing business and just move on.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Will wait for the Steam version.

Also: I will laugh if you can use hex edit a file to enable the pay only stuff.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Will wait for the Steam version.

oui oui

what's IAP

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Will we really get an EA owned F2P game on steam or are people just making funnies?

IAP is In App Purchases. Generally refer to coins, boosts, smurfberries or whatever free 2 play currency your game uses.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2013
    In-App Purchases

The dev videos made a big stink about how EVERYTHING in the game was totally free, but it's clear that their definition of "everything" is looser than the mainstream definition.

It's still a great deal for no cost, but you can't help but feel like the whole project is suffocating from the whole thing.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    If it comes to PC, it'd be on Origin.

• Options
    IGN posted a short article in which they added up the cost of all IAP items and they say the grand total comes out to about $25. The only thing they didn't purchase was in-game currency, which has no limit to how much you can buy. But strictly for the extra plants and other items, it was $25.

I can't wait for tomorrow to download this. Been checking the app store literally every day since it debuted in Australia a few weeks ago.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Maaaaan I want Garden Warfare. I think it was still the highlight of this past E3 for me. Maybe tied with Sony piledriving Microsoft and then dropping the mic.

But man, it looks so fun.

Also I was totally unaware PvZ2 was going to be out tomorrow. Is that on all platforms? Or is it just an iOS thing?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Just iOS to start. They have not made any announcements for android, PC, or Mac.

• Options
    Bleh, oh well, back to not worrying about it then I suppose.

• Options
    For you iOSers, Kotaku says the game is live already https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/plants-vs.-zombies-2/id597986893?mt=8

I haven't ever really used itunes or the apple stuff, so I dunno if it is or not, but thought I'd throw it out there.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Will be getting for iPad (not mine, but full access) and Galaxy S3 (whenever that happens). Wonder if it'll run well on the latter...

• Options
    For you iOSers, Kotaku says the game is live already https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/plants-vs.-zombies-2/id597986893?mt=8

I haven't ever really used itunes or the apple stuff, so I dunno if it is or not, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Yes, it's there. I just downloaded it to both my phone and my tablet.

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Hurry up PC version!

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    I haven't played all that many maps yet, maybe 5 or so, but from what I've seen thus far, this game is more challenging than the original. The tombstones block your shots this time (except for the cabbage shooters) so monsters get to take a lot of free steps before you ever start laying any damage on them. On some aisles, you might only get two squares of shot-time before they're on top of you.

Planting perfectly ordered rows is not always doable, which irks my OCD. In the first game, I was able to make every row ordered, or at least patterned. So far, with the semi-random tombstones blocking your shot paths, your placement is much less orderly and much more impromptu. You have to build your defenses to fit the row, not to fit your personal need for order and consistency.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I have a question for all you Zomtards. I'd like to start playing the game considering I have an old iPod Touch, but I don't want to start over when it comes out on my much bigger screen Android, or even bigger screened Vita. I heard that the iOS version has cross device saves. Does anybody have any idea if this save file will basically be something you can log into on ANY device regardless? So I can, for example, start on iTouch and then carry over to Android?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    I think it's possible if you mess with your iCloud storage.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I think it's possible if you mess with your iCloud storage.
    Oh, so it's some iCloud thing not an account that you log into in game?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    I haven't really checked it out, but it really depends on what EA is doing with your save data (saved to the system or a profile on their servers?)

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Impressions up to the end of the first world:

The Good:
    -Graphics are slightly better
    -Almanac entries are all new, they didn't just repeat the returning ones
    -It really is free to play, and not in a "we'll begin the beatings immediately" Candy Crush sort of way
    -Time travel is amusing
    -The game seems less stingy about introducing mini-games
    -The challenges are actually challenging and varied
    -If they don't get cheap on us, entirely new worlds could be free, which would be pretty cool
    -No ads as far as I've seen so far

The Bad:
    -Did you happen to like the Squash or Chili Pepper and always include it in your setup? Open up 'dat wallet. Locking several plants behind a paywall that you can't use in-game money to buy immediately sours the good feelings of the free download for returning fans. The plants they want you to buy are constantly at the bottom of the loadout screen in order to taunt you.
    -Stuff that would certainly be in-game upgrades (plant slots, plant food slots) before is in the to-buy part, which makes you worry about game balance (it does seem like you can earn more naturally).
    -The switch from pure Popcap to EA-Popcap is pretty obvious in the desperate, grasping duplication of trends. Oh we have a map like Candy Crush. Oh you can buy coins like (every game) Temple Run 2. Oh you need stars to unlock the new level set like Crash Course 2.

The Meh:
    -Moving around on the map confuses the whole theme, which was perfect in the first game. You grew plants on your lawn. The size of your lawn (width) determined the lane based structure. Letting the zombies all the way to the end was bad because that was inside your house (this was a bit shaky on the roof, admittedly). Now you're stopped randomly to plant? And the zombies lined up in 5 lanes for... no reason? And umm you're presumably standing on the left (although couldn't you just walk away?), which is why losing is bad? And why do you have lawn mowers now that you're in the desert? And how do the plants grow so well in the desert?
    -While there is plenty of content in the first world, you stop Progressing almost immediately. Going backwards and defending the same patch for stars feels lame. The decision to bait the player with a bunch of locked plants means you unlock new ones pretty horribly slowly compared to the first game (which basically gives you a new plant almost every level, unless it's giving you a mini-game or a boss battle).
    -You're FORCED to enter the store as if it was a tutorial and there's a couple pop-up suggestions (like facebook) between levels.
    -So far, Crazy Dave is overexposed. I want more threatening notes with horrible grammar from the zombies! (There is a take on this, but it is not as good)
    -I'm guessing ALL the mushrooms are gone? Maybe DLC episodes in the future will be night Egypt, night Pirates, etc...

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Slightly better? I think the graphics are a fantastic upgrade over the first. It feels like there are little details put into the plants compared to the first one.

Who cares about the $$ plants? The boomerang, melee, and dragon plants are suitable replacements to me.

The one thing I hated was the dialogue about the store and seemingly telling me to go there as if I could buy stuff with coins, only to see that I have to spend real cash. And the pop-ups for sales and whatever I could do without.

While it might seem a little, and I mean miniscule, tainted, the game is great. I ran through the Egypt world and have a good amount of stars collected. I unlocked the pirate world as well.

The levels are definitely challenging compared to the first game and I think that could be a good thing. Although, the tap/drag/etc coin power-ups make things a little less scary in my opinion.

My favorite thing to do is feed a sunflower some plant food. ALL DEM SUNS POWER!

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    So far, of the levels that I have had to repeat for stars, the way they change the rules for each specific challenge makes it different enough that it isn't really even playing the same level anymore.

Take for example level 1. You get a challenge in which you cannot plant any plants in the first two rows. Then on top of that they only allow you 12 plants total at any given time. Challenges like that completely change the way the level plays. One of the other ones on level 1, in which you can only spend a total of 1250 sun makes things pretty interesting. Of course, 1250 was pretty generous. I finished with 350 sun to spare.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So am I going to have to grind for keys? I've got just one "regular" Egypt level left to go, and I've only unlocked two of the branching paths so far.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I guess that depends on your definition of grinding. If all you want to do is rush to the pirate world, then yes, you will likely need to "grind" but if you plan on getting 3 stars on each level, they will come naturally.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I guess that depends on your definition of grinding. If all you want to do is rush to the pirate world, then yes, you will likely need to "grind" but if you plan on getting 3 stars on each level, they will come naturally.

I guess "three star each level" is a concept introduced later? Right now it's either you pass or you don't.

• Options
    After you beat stage 11 they unlock stars for previous levels.

Earning those stars will sometimes net you a key drop. I'm somewhat of a completionist, and I don't have any plans on moving on to the pirate world until I've completed Egypt in its entirety, so for me, it isn't a grind. I know I'll have the keys I need by the time I'm done.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I like the new plants & zombies and being able to supercharge plants for various bonuses is fun, but I hate how they've taken the worst problem of the first game (too repetitive) and made it even worse.

And I'm not even talking about having to go back and replay challenge modes - even if you payed the extra money to skip that part, the regular levels feel too repetitive. Unlike most tower defense games, the maps stay basically the same within a world so there's little reason to change up your strategy once you find something that works. And if I was able to demolish the level before, making it slightly harder usually doesn't change my strategy.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Any of you have experience with catching the Yeti yet? I encountered him once, and he barely even poked his head in before he moonwalked right off the screen. How do I lure him further onto the screen so I can take him out?

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I'm still in Egypt, but the key with the Yeti is to use a plant to make sure he can't get away. I used the iceberg lettuce; maybe planting a wall-nut behind him would work too. Though I was lucky in that I had some major artillery on that row already.

Though come to think of it, there might have been a zombie in front of him absorbing some shots. Maybe getting hit once causes the Yeti to back off?

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    You don't, he leaves after about two tiles so just hit him hard and use iceberg lettuce to slow him down.

I've beaten all three worlds now, its definitely very repetitive. I used the same strategy to beat 90% of levels and use a slightly different one for the others.

While the whole game is pretty easy, the Wild West challenge map is absolutely bonkers hard. Having the chicken guys and bull riders show up at level 1 when you have no bloomerangs, lightning reeds or tall nuts is basically an impossible task.

I wish there was something to buy with coins, I have 80,000 already. Can't imagine anyone spending real money to buy them.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    I was going to ask about that. Are coins literally only used for buying those ridiculously overpowered Power-Ups and plant food?

I've been trying not to use the power-ups because they break the game with how good they are. It's more fun to beat the zombies without them.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Yeah it's the only use and they are very much instant win tools. The yeti treasure is just keys and there's no use for those either once you unlock the gates in each world.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    The thing that's annoying is that their F2P model is clearly designed to force you to spend money. The fact that you cannot use in-game currency to buy things makes the currency nearly worthless.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    The F2P model in this game is so completely inconsequential, I can't even begin to think about getting mad about it.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    The F2P model in this game is so completely inconsequential, I can't even begin to think about getting mad about it.

Truth. You don't need the $$ plants at all.

I saw Yeti talk. First time I encountered it I didn't know it runs away or whatever. Second time, as soon as I saw it, purchased the pinch power-up and killed him. Got a gem from a lunch box. Disappointing. Ha.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I use the cornthrowers for him. Butter him up and he has to stay in place while you beat him. Though there's occasionally other zombies there to soak up the butter, which makes it a bit more difficult. Still, I'm 100% on yetis so far.

• Options
    I saw the yeti and just gave a regular peashooter some plant food, that easily took care of it.

Having gotten to pirates, I can confidently say that they ruined the excellent feeling of progression from 1 (a new little something EVERY level) with all these plants behind locked gates and substantial grind required for normal progression. Egypt felt uninspired, badly so. Iffy plant theming, generic zombie types. Nothing is even close to the Zomboni or Zombie Dolphin yet. It feels a bit sad using peashooter, ice, and wall nut round after round.

To be a bit more positive, the challenges are interesting and starting pirates was finally a relief of new concepts... but I suspect that will dry up quickly again.

• Options
    I can't object to those complaints. I wish we could run through the "story" mode and then go back and do challenges.

bYf6vNQ.png