As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dying Light] Mirror's Edge / Dead Island : Will It Blend? 10+ minutes of gameplay

John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2TSCZqcjR0
Wikipedia wrote:
Dying Light is an upcoming zombie-apocalyptic first person survival horror video game developed by Techland to be released on the PlayStation 3, Playstation 4, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and Microsoft Windows.[1][2][3] It is a survival horror game set in a vast and dangerous open world. During the day, players traverse an expansive urban environment overrun by a vicious outbreak, scavenging the world for supplies and crafting weapons to defend against the growing infected population with a heavy focus on freerunning mechanics. Many compare and it is noted that it appears as a hybrid of "Dead Island" and "Mirror's Edge". "At night, the hunter becomes the hunted, as the infected become aggressive and more dangerous. Most frightening are the predators which appear only after sundown. Players must use everything in their power to survive until the morning’s first light."

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam

• John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    This is looking pretty damn special. Let's hope this is the "Good Techland" and not the "Bad Techland".

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    i fucking loved dead island despite its faults.

i refused to buy dead island riptide because of its horrible marketing

this is looking really really good, so i'm hoping they've learned from their mistakes so i can give them money

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Holy shit that looks intense. This just went from something I didn't even know existed to #1 on my anticipation list. I loved Mirror's Edge, and I love zombies. It's like Techland looked into the pleasure center of my brain and decided to make a game designed to ruin me.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Damn that looked sweet. There's something that feels much more right in combining melee weapons with freerunning rather than trying to bring in guns.

Although now I'm left wondering what our protagonist looks like when we find him carrying a baseball bat, hatchet, electrosword, axe, mallet, and sledgehammer all at the same time.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Hot damn.

The "slow-mo look over my shoulder" action is one of those things that's so brilliant it seems obvious.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Yea. I saw that and was like that is PERFECT. Doesn't halt the action and gives you a chance to actually see WTF is going on without ruining your stride.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I hope, though, that the passage of time is actual instead of scripted. I know they orchestrated things for the trailer there, but it would suck if you knew that, like, it's gonna get dark right as you reach the supply chest, every time, no matter how fast or slow you get there. Kinda takes some of the incentive out of the freerunning.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I'm hoping the drops can be like a side mission that never ends. Random drops at different times and you have to decide whether its worth it to go for the goods or not.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    About my only 'huh' moment was why he suddenly hid at night.

Like I get that apparently the zombies are more aggressive and take more to kill but even then the second he's spotted he goes back to dodging and weaving just like the day time gameplay. I guess maybe those predator things show up faster if you're spotted at night or something?

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm assuming its a case of 'get spotted by X amount of zombies and predators are released' or something to that effect.

• TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I hope, though, that the passage of time is actual instead of scripted. I know they orchestrated things for the trailer there, but it would suck if you knew that, like, it's gonna get dark right as you reach the supply chest, every time, no matter how fast or slow you get there. Kinda takes some of the incentive out of the freerunning.

In the E3 interview, it's stated that time will not be scripted (I forget if he put in a caveat for forcing day/night for certain specific instances), but nighttime will be accelerated because they found that it was too brutal to run at the same speed as daytime.

About my only 'huh' moment was why he suddenly hid at night.

Like I get that apparently the zombies are more aggressive and take more to kill but even then the second he's spotted he goes back to dodging and weaving just like the day time gameplay. I guess maybe those predator things show up faster if you're spotted at night or something?

Also from the E3 interview, the predator things only come out at night. So during the day you're free to run around and smash zombies, but at night you want to be sneaky or else you'll get mauled but the predators.

TheCanMan on
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Okay, if it can deliver what that first look promises then I'm sold.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    The game looks kind of neat but I'm really sick of the stereotypes that zombie games are getting lately. Evil other military organization working against you, slightly insulting woman with an accent telling you what to do, the set "mutant" types of zombies. And that gameplay trailer looked way too set up to be actual gameplay for me.

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    well, for me, dead island represented a welcome change from zombie games being set in ugly, ruined, brown environments. there was a brilliant contrast between the brutal enemies and the gorgeous environments. also, it had the best melee combat engine since i don't even know.

i hope they release a demo.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    So I got to play this at an IGN event recently and I have to say I was pretty impressed. The movement feels really good and the games core concept works pretty well. The daytime stuff makes you feel pretty complacent after a while as the zombies can't follow you or present much of a threat at all, then suddenly night comes and it's entirely on. Definitely felt pretty fun, even though I didn't get to play a whole lot of it and it's worth keeping an eye on.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Two things I love unequivocally combined?

Yes, please. Any word on how deep the coop experience is going to be? L4D Parkour Edition is something everyone should want.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Footage from Twitch's stream: http://www.twitch.tv/twitch/c/4434149

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    That tech demo is pretty promising. It looks like it really is about total freedom of movement if you want it to be.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
    Kinda sucks the videos uploaded to youtube from GT look so brown.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

the grappling hook is neat, but sort of takes the challenge out of traversal when being pursued. of course, you don't have to use it, but yeah

RxI0N.png
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Ok so I was confused for a moment, with Dead Island 2 having been announced and this game looking exactly like DI1 (specifically the combat movement) However it looks like Techland is the developer here and Deep Silver was just the publisher. Hopefully they learned a lot from Dead Island 1 (combat - great, story and bugs - not so much) and we get something special here.

Also I'm laughing at the "Oh my god late breaking news Ubisoft is starting!" Like you can't have two streams?

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    the grappling hook is neat, but sort of takes the challenge out of traversal when being pursued. of course, you don't have to use it, but yeah

I'm very willing to bet it is not a get out of jail free card.

Those nighttime zombies have mad ups yo

edited June 2014
    Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Im really confused about the coop in this game. Can you coop the single player or is it just special missions where you play against another player controlling a zombie? Cos I kind of rely on the co-op to make this fun with dead island

• f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Co-op Mode for 4 Players – Cooperate with other players in the extreme conditions of a zombie apocalypse. Show your individuality and customize your character.

Be the Zombie – Unique online mode where you play as a zombie. If you ever dreamed of stalking other survivors, now is your chance. Let the hunt begin!

I'm not going to pre-purchase because I want to make sure you can turn off the Be The Zombie option. There are times where I really don't feel like playing against other people, and if people can arbitrarily "invade" my game, I won't be happy.

steam_sig.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I preordered mainly because I binge watched the walking dead and I already played the shit out of dead rising 3.

At least this time the odd zombie kini thing is just neckbeard only 3d printer zombie and its not as bad as the tit torso, still what the hell is with this company and bikini zombos?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. I'm not going to preorder for fear of getting burned. But if there's enough good press, and enough positive impressions here on PA during the first week, I'll probably make this a week1 purchase over the weekend following release.

Well by complete accident I have time off immediately following release, so I'll post my impressions of the bone version. I figure their "You have to run from zombies like all the time" is bunk and you'll be slaughtering them dead island style in no time. We shall see. Though that there doesn't seem to be a ton of press going into its release next week is kind of worrying.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well by complete accident I have time off immediately following release, so I'll post my impressions of the bone version. I figure their "You have to run from zombies like all the time" is bunk and you'll be slaughtering them dead island style in no time. We shall see. Though that there doesn't seem to be a ton of press going into its release next week is kind of worrying.

Well, admittedly they say you have to run from them only if it's night. During the day it's zombie soufflé

I'm a damn poet

We'll see. I enjoyed the first half of dead island, hopefully this game will have less gang rape and pointless death scenes.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I've seen quite a bit of coverage on IGN lately. I realize that site is not a bastion of journalistic quality or anything, but it's a pretty decent source of news and hype, and they have done a decent job with Dying Light.

I must be missing it, can you link a recent article? I admit I tend to not check IGN all that often.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    We'll see. I enjoyed the first half of dead island, hopefully this game will have less gang rape and pointless death scenes.

I liked it till they got to the jungle and the enemies turned to guys with guns. Then I lost interest.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE4is7nLjoI

I can definitely see this turning into Kick Zombie Butt: The Movie: The Game after a couple of hours.

I must be missing it, can you link a recent article? I admit I tend to not check IGN all that often.

Parkour Video:
    http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/01/09/dying-light-parkour-pov

Playing as a Zombie:
    http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/12/26/dying-light-playing-as-the-zombie-ign-first

Old Town (game location) Preview:
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/17/take-a-tour-of-dying-lights-old-town-ign-first?watch

So what's the deal with Techland? They are not the guys who made Dead Island are they? I thought Deep Silver were the devs of that ...?

And aren't Deep Silver making Dead Island 2?

• f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Wow, so I just skipped randomly around in the video, and the melee combat actually looks really good.

steam_sig.png
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Parkour Video:
    http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/01/09/dying-light-parkour-pov

Playing as a Zombie:
    http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/12/26/dying-light-playing-as-the-zombie-ign-first

Old Town (game location) Preview:
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/17/take-a-tour-of-dying-lights-old-town-ign-first?watch

Muchos Gracias.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Watching the zombie thing looks awesome. Also you can see in the video human enemies are also in the game, but it looks like you can turn the zombos on to them.

pleasepaypreacher.net