As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV: ARR] Old Thread. Use the New Thread!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Sabo wrote: »
    Well, I couldnt get onto the Legacy server because I just started today, but I was able to get my THM to level 16 in one day, so I was quite pleased at my progress. I think I'll be much more informed when I do it for realsies next week.

People have been saying it's boring (clicking one ability button for fights, etc), but hey it's growing on me and I like it so far.

CNJ is the class cursed with click one button for fights (Mostly getting healing stuff - you basically drop Aero for DoT then spam Stone until its dead) - THM has more to manage, though most single enemies, in a vacuum, are easily dispatched with Fire spam. If you want to link enemies in succession though, you're going to be mixing Blizzard and Thunder in (and you should be opening Thunder anyways, because it's a nice DoT).

That said, the most hilarious way to kill any enemy as THM by far is to take Aero (CNJ level 4), and just loop Thunder>Aero>Sleep. Walk a ways away, wait for DoTs to be about to break, repeat. You take no damage at all. Even better, you can maintain this against two enemies at once, since sleep is 30 seconds (It is, by far, my preferred way to deal with multiple opponents as THM). Use Blizzard for the wakeup hit and you get bottomless mana and a slow while they walk back in.

In a related vein... I took this a step further on ACN and just did Miasma Bio Thunder Aero for a while. My DoTs were like having a second person attacking.

Commenting on other classes... I wish Greased Lightning lasted longer - there's not much room to fit in other weaponskills if you want to stack it and keep them (12 seconds, so you can execute 4 skills before it expires... and you have to perform a full rotation to get it). So for sub skills on PUG, it's almost entirely things off the global cooldown (more buffs, mainly. ARC's Raging Strikes in particular is sexy.) I do have Straight Shot as a "default" 4th weaponskill for +10% crit rate, or Feint to apply 20% slow, depending on whether I want to melt more or hurt less. But then I have Haymaker, which hits like a truck and is ON the global cooldown! I really, REALLY need to get that 2.5 sec down to 2 or so to fit in more stuff. Not that anything at all lives past me getting my second stack of Greased Lightning as is (What little chance there has been to use a higher level class anyways. Stumbled on a quest with level 25 enemies in a level 10 zone in La Noscea... hoped it would let me take 10-15 leves. NOPE.)

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Hah, just wait untl you start leveling a crafting class.

"Whew, finally finished smelting, like, a bajillion bronze ingots! I must be some sort of blacksmithing savant by now! Wait, what?! I'm only half way through level three?!"

Though I do really enjoy crafting in this game.

edit- Also, I just realized that while an ability may be level 8 or 10 or whatever, if you are using it as part of a cross class deal you can use it at level one. Which means Protect for everybody! Weee!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    Hah, just wait untl you start leveling a crafting class.

"Whew, finally finished smelting, like, a bajillion bronze ingots! I must be some sort of blacksmithing savant by now! Wait, what?! I'm only half way through level three?!"

Though I do really enjoy crafting in this game.

edit- Also, I just realized that while an ability may be level 8 or 10 or whatever, if you are using it as part of a cross class deal you can use it at level one. Which means Protect for everybody! Weee!

Weaving is the WORST. Your base material has to be refined TWICE before you can use it for ANYTHING. (Yarn, then cloth).

That said, the auto-synth button makes that easy - set it to do a batch of 20-30, go to the bathroom, and come back to the mats for your next couple levels.

Actually leveling is pretty easy too - just complete the crafting log, since you get a massive XP bonus for the first time completing each item, and try to get as much quality as possible, since that increases the XP a fair bit (even if you don't proc HQ).

I think it took me maybe an hour to get Weaver 10, and like I said Weaver is particularly annoying. All the mats are purchasable for the first tier, which helps a ton. (And for the next tiers... I have BTN at 20+)

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Oh snap. Stuck in 3102 limbo now as well. Whelp, guess I'll be waiting till Early Access.

Also @Polaritie

Ah yeah, I had forgotten about the crafting log, I'm going to have to remember that next time.

Axen on
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Welp, apparently this 3102 error is pretty serious. I guess once you get caught in it your chances of getting out of it are pretty slim. And I'm in it. REALLY hoping it's just a server issue still.

• Options
    Sionnach RuaSionnach Rua FFXIV: Sionnach RuaRegistered User regular
    EVERYONE HAVING THE 3102 error go to this link: http://t.co/7AhPQ1sbvF

FFXIV Character: Sionnach Rua on Sargantanas. Join us on Ghost in the Linkshell! The company site is: gitl.enjin.com

I just make random noises... mreh
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    If you are getting a 3102 error 'still logged in' go to this thread: http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/102818-Regarding-Error-3102-Issue?p=1261574&posted=1#post1261574 and post:
    World: World Name
    Name: Character Name

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    yeah right now that thread's just a user directory because I don't think there's anyone not experiencing that error

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    yeah right now that thread's just a user directory because I don't think there's anyone not experiencing that error

Sure there is. People who were asleep like good boys and girls (as opposed to adults and addicts and other people staying up because its a weekend).

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Sure there is. People who were asleep like good boys and girls (as opposed to adults and addicts and other people staying up because its a weekend).

How can anyone sleep when there are so many fantasies to final?

• Options

They might have parents.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

At least 14, I'm told.

• Options
    Heh, that thread is rapidly expanding. BlueBlue may be right at this point.

• Options
    the parent forum, also expanding with additional 3102 threads

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    There are still a lot of people still in game playing though. I think it happens when you teleport from what I've been hearing.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    Well that's too bad! I had some plans of fishing and crafting tonight with the possibility of a dungeon. Oh well! Launch is soon =)

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    That thread was at about 200 pages when I posted on it this morning.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    There are still a lot of people still in game playing though. I think it happens when you teleport from what I've been hearing.
    oh well shit, then

in my case I was on a chocobo trail and dropped between zones

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    oh well shit, then

in my case I was on a chocobo trail and dropped between zones

Hmm maybe it's zoning in general then? I was able to use the Aetheryte transport and that didn't do it within Limsa Lominsa but maybe zoning in or out of the city would do it.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was transitioning between zones when I dropped.

• Options
    Well, last I checked it was close to 700 pages...oh and the forums seem down completely for me now. Ah well, hopefully I can play some more tomorrow, want to get my ACN up to 20.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    Yeah, I was transitioning between zones when I dropped.

ditto. I was just finishing a guildhest

and now the beta forums are down so I can't put my name on the list wheee

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    Between people being afflicted by the 3102 error for more than 24 hours, (Which not only locks them out of that character, but from all of them. It's also apparently been a bug as old as the 1.0 beta.) the server locks keeping friends from rolling on the same server and Square deciding not to communicate at all when those locks will be lifted if ever, people not getting their passwords when registering for the open beta, their clusterfuck of web services getting confused by people's e-mails to the point that it'll tell you your e-mail is already taken, (You know, the one you just registered.) not to mention how they only let people download the client the same day the servers go up, this has been one of the worst open betas I've been a part of. (Let's be real, "open beta" is basically a demo of the product nowadays, with a pinch of stress test thrown in.)

First impressions matter, and I know about a dozen that are ready to write the game off in frustration. And half of them pre-purchased it too.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I've spent $0 on this. They can do whatever the hell they want as far as I'm concerned, until the actual thing launches and people start putting money into it.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    In game message said emergency maintenance on the US data center from 2:30 AM to 3:00 AM EDT. I think they are being overly optimistic.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CubemonkeyCubemonkey Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    In game message said emergency maintenance on the US data center from 2:30 AM to 3:00 AM EDT. I think they are being overly optimistic.

I think in this case the emergency maintenance is that all the data center staff are getting up to use the bathroom for the first time in days. Poor folks.

Stahl - 50 Sage - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    So according to the realm reborn wiki, the levels required for black mage are 30 Thaumaturge/15 pugilist. Can anyone confirm/deny that? Doesn't seem to make much sense.

Edit: Also, is there an actual linkshell, rather than a free company with linkshell in its name? I won't be joining the FC until all my friends turn out to suck and drop out of playing after a month, but it'd be nice to have a way to get ahold of PA people

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I don't think anybody has been able to verify the job requirements yet. A different site claims 30 Thaumaturge and 15 Arcanist to qualify for Black Mage.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    writing off a game because of open beta where you are getting to play for free in a beta where things are quite simply guaranteed not work to some extent is straight up dumb.

Jars on
  • Options
    Jars wrote: »
    writing off a game because of open beta where you are getting to play for free in a beta where things are quite simply guaranteed not work to some extent is straight up dumb.

It's incredibly easy to write off people's issues with a game when said issues aren't affecting you as much or at all. First of all, I purchased the game already. And most of the people I know did too. (With one exception where they couldn't even buy the game due to the store log-in conflicting with their old account in a weird way.) The same people that can't log in to their accounts, roll on the server we wanted or log in the game at all due to a bug that popped up back in the 2010 version of the game.

A lot of these issues aren't technical, but rather poor logistics. Want to reduce the mad rush to download stuff off your servers? Let people download the game a couple of days, (Preferably a week.) before the actual Open Beta starts. Want to put caps on server population to try to filter people into new servers? Let people know in advance you'll be doing so, and tag the servers you want to fill up with a "Recommended" sign. Want people to not be upset that they can't play with their friends? Make it so you're allowed to perform one free character transfer without limitations imposed to it after Open Beta - or God forbid - Headstart phase.

Time is the most valuable commodity. Setting aside a weekend to play a game with your old MMO buddies can be pretty hard depending on your lifestyle. And then having said time chunk thrown out the window is pretty frustrating. Doesn't matter if it's a "beta". (It's not. It's a glorified marketing stunt. The gaming industry as a whole hasn't treated Open Beta phases as anything more than that for the last eight years or so. Even their lead producer has said that he considers the Open Beta as basically a demo of the final game.)

• Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    aunsoph wrote: »
    (It's not. It's a glorified marketing stunt. The gaming industry as a whole hasn't treated Open Beta phases as anything more than that for the last eight years or so. Even their lead producer has said that he considers the Open Beta as basically a demo of the final game.)

I really want to emphasize this. This is supposed to be selling the game, and between the 3102 bug and the giant pain in the ass it has been to get people onto Sarg, I wouldn't be buying it if I weren't already invested in it due to being an alpha tester and having a 1.0 character. I have at least 2 friends that I am confident won't be picking this up based on the server thing alone, and 2 others I am sure would quit if they got 3102 error'd.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    There loss

• Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I have about 4 friends that were excited for this and will probably not be buying it because they can't get on my server and they don't want to be behind when it launches. It's a serious problem and pretending it isn't is just asinine.

It's more like *Square's* loss here, because they really need this to succeed and they seem to be doing everything they can to make sure it doesn't. I pre-ordered the game but I'm trying to find out now if there is a way for me to cancel it (purchased from Square) because if all my friends refuse to play now, there really is no point.

Also, the amusing thing is we changed servers three times now and all of them just end up being basically perma-locked before the rest of my friends can make characters, so now our only option would be to all restart now on one of these three brand new realms, assuming they're even still available tomorrow and not locked themselves. We have to coordinate having everyone we know that wants to play the game be online at the exact same time ready to pick a server because they all seem to randomly just be shut down forever. Then, we would be creating characters on a new server that will almost definitely be a complete ghost town a month after launch. It's shitty.

Karrmer on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I actually had gotten myself somewhat excited for this game, and feel like I jumped through a lot've hoops (created by poor web and account management design on Square Enix's part) to finally get an account and get the game downloaded so I could play.

Then I got in and started playing, and while FFXIV sure is pretty, it's the same old static hotkey bar combat from the mid 2000s. What is exciting about this any more? I rolled up a Lancer and had barely made it to level 5 before I was yawning, and then I got disconnected and can't get back in due to the 3102 error, so maybe that's a sign I should just cut my losses.

At least all I lost was time, since I didn't have to put any money down to try it.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    Karrmer wrote: »
    I have about 4 friends that were excited for this and will probably not be buying it because they can't get on my server and they don't want to be behind when it launches. It's a serious problem and pretending it isn't is just asinine.

It's more like *Square's* loss here, because they really need this to succeed and they seem to be doing everything they can to make sure it doesn't. I pre-ordered the game but I'm trying to find out now if there is a way for me to cancel it (purchased from Square) because if all my friends refuse to play now, there really is no point.

Also, the amusing thing is we changed servers three times now and all of them just end up being basically perma-locked before the rest of my friends can make characters, so now our only option would be to all restart now on one of these three brand new realms, assuming they're even still available tomorrow and not locked themselves. We have to coordinate having everyone we know that wants to play the game be online at the exact same time ready to pick a server because they all seem to randomly just be shut down forever. Then, we would be creating characters on a new server that will almost definitely be a complete ghost town a month after launch. It's shitty.

If you and your friends are seriously concerned about losing two days of progress I'd say you're playing the wrong game. It just isn't that hardcore of an endgame.

It just seems a bit silly to me ditching a game based on a stress testing open beta...of two days. The loss is entirely on those people, given the servers are chock full at all times I'd say square wont notice the loss.

• Options
    Acharenus wrote: »
    Karrmer wrote: »

If you and your friends are seriously concerned about losing two days of progress I'd say you're playing the wrong game. It just isn't that hardcore of an endgame.

It just seems a bit silly to me ditching a game based on a stress testing open beta...of two days. The loss is entirely on those people, given the servers are chock full at all times I'd say square wont notice the loss.

I guess we'll see in a couple months.

• Options
    I doubt the game will be dead in a few months. As much as that would validate your righteous indignation.

• Options
    I doubt the game will be dead in a few months. As much as that would validate your righteous indignation.

*I* am not concerned about a few days progress. I told my friends to stop making such a big deal, explained that I'll be leveling a new class with them etc, but they're up in arms about being behind and such. We're definitely more on the "hardcore" edge so that I'm sure plays a role in it, but it's still a loss of players based on them implementing some pretty dumb restrictions.

If we want to wait in a queue, let us wait in a queue. Just forcing us to not make a character on the server our friends is on is stupid.

• Options
    https://twitter.com/search?q=#ERROR3102&amp;src=hash

There was also a thread with no Square replies to it with over 2.5k posts. Not that I could link that, because their forums are down.
    The loss is entirely on those people, given the servers are chock full at all times I'd say square wont notice the loss.

Word of mouth is an interesting thing. The people having a shitty time and wasting 2-3 days of their free time trying to register an account, purchasing the game, downloading the client, rolling on the server their friends or guildies are in, or even playing the game at all in some cases? They're sure to spread the word to their friends, colleagues and co-workers. There are enough MMOs out nowadays that a hotbar-derivative wearing a FF skin won't just cut it for a lot of potential customers. And if they're on the fence and they hear about how Square is shitting the bed, they'll more than likely give the game a pass.

Square needs to fix at least half of the dozen or so points of failure in their entire operation, because the launch is very few days away, and the apologist excuses will carry even less weight if say, someone gets locked out of their headstart period by error 3102.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I just tanked AND healed the first instance on my arcanist. At the same time. I felt like an absolute badass

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
This discussion has been closed.