As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV: ARR] Old Thread. Use the New Thread!

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Do arcanists queue into the duty finder as DPS or healer? I'm guessing DPS.

steam_sig.png
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    aunsoph wrote: »
    Between people being afflicted by the 3102 error for more than 24 hours, (Which not only locks them out of that character, but from all of them. It's also apparently been a bug as old as the 1.0 beta.) the server locks keeping friends from rolling on the same server and Square deciding not to communicate at all when those locks will be lifted if ever, people not getting their passwords when registering for the open beta, their clusterfuck of web services getting confused by people's e-mails to the point that it'll tell you your e-mail is already taken, (You know, the one you just registered.) not to mention how they only let people download the client the same day the servers go up, this has been one of the worst open betas I've been a part of. (Let's be real, "open beta" is basically a demo of the product nowadays, with a pinch of stress test thrown in.)

First impressions matter, and I know about a dozen that are ready to write the game off in frustration. And half of them pre-purchased it too.

Still better than 1.0

I preordered the CE for this game...three years ago

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • WydrionWydrion Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    yeah right now that thread's just a user directory because I don't think there's anyone not experiencing that error

Sure there is. People who were asleep like good boys and girls (as opposed to adults and addicts and other people staying up because its a weekend).

... I got kicked off at like 2 PM in the afternoon. I got a good ~4 hours of beta testing in before I've been unable to log in for going-on 18 hours now.

Also, I found out that the person I'm supposed to be playing with made his dude on Gilgamesh and that server is super overpopulated so I need to remake my dude anyway. Ffffuuu-

• Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Do arcanists queue into the duty finder as DPS or healer? I'm guessing DPS.

DPS

• MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    3102, nowhere to complain or request assistance except their e-mail support, which pretty much states they aren't looking at except normal business hours. Hope my beta isn't done. Was finishing a story instance quest when the login servers went down, and couldn't try to get back in last night.

If its just the beta, and they'll have that sort of thing solved by next weekend for launch, well then alright. Hell, just the auto-afk boot out should be freeing me up, if there is one. If there isn't one, this is a good reason to put one in!

Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    And what was the emergency maintenance for if not to log everyone out?

Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    Menasor wrote: »
    Hell, just the auto-afk boot out should be freeing me up, if there is one. If there isn't one, this is a good reason to put one in!

Nope. Some people have had the 3102 error since Friday. Yes, an MMO with no AFK auto-kick at all. In 2013.

• FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Hell, just the auto-afk boot out should be freeing me up, if there is one. If there isn't one, this is a good reason to put one in!

Nope. Some people have had the 3102 error since Friday. Yes, an MMO with no AFK auto-kick at all. In 2013.

I don't know what's worse, the possibility that they still haven't implemented a fix for such a fundamental, simple thing out of incompetence or the possibility that the fact that they still haven't put out a fix for something that SHOULD be so simple suggests a more serious backend problem at work.
    And what was the emergency maintenance for if not to log everyone out?

People were still able to play during the maintenance allegedly, so it did not reset all connections. Sadly. Because that should have fixed the 3102 in the short term at least.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    https://twitter.com/search?q=#ERROR3102&src=hash

There was also a thread with no Square replies to it with over 2.5k posts. Not that I could link that, because their forums are down.
    Acharenus wrote: »
    The loss is entirely on those people, given the servers are chock full at all times I'd say square wont notice the loss.

Word of mouth is an interesting thing. The people having a shitty time and wasting 2-3 days of their free time trying to register an account, purchasing the game, downloading the client, rolling on the server their friends or guildies are in, or even playing the game at all in some cases? They're sure to spread the word to their friends, colleagues and co-workers. There are enough MMOs out nowadays that a hotbar-derivative wearing a FF skin won't just cut it for a lot of potential customers. And if they're on the fence and they hear about how Square is shitting the bed, they'll more than likely give the game a pass.

Square needs to fix at least half of the dozen or so points of failure in their entire operation, because the launch is very few days away, and the apologist excuses will carry even less weight if say, someone gets locked out of their headstart period by error 3102.

Or trying to roll on the same server as their friends and being unable to. And since everything they do now will carry over to launch, why would they want to waste their time leveling on a different server when there is little to no hope of server transfers?

My static group has been cut in half by this weekend. And another 2 people that my friends brought on to play have already canceled their pre-orders as well. It's now looking like it will be me and 1 friend of playing the game instead of 6, but of course, he is already at the level cap, so now he either has to wait for me to catch up or go on without me.

Very sad.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    So this error 3102 thing. Fun. I literally got to join the adventurers guild before I got hit with it. I spent like 4 hours dl and installing to watch an intro movie and complete my first "talk to x" quest.

616610-1.png
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I can't even finish creating my char.

Seems I am getting a different error, saying I wasn't allowed to make someone on the server I chose so I chose another one, now its perma loading.

I just wanted to see what this was all about because a RL friend has apparently been beta testing for awhile.

• seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    So, if I want to play this on PS3, do I need to buy the game again? I've got the collectors edition from the original launch. The machine I built for the original release doesn't run the new version of the game quite as well (I'm not sure what's up with that, by the way; there hasn't been a change in req. specs.).

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    The idea of someone with a passing curiosity taking a quick look at the game, hitting some of these roadblocks, and then just moving on with their lives makes total sense. Maybe the game would have had a chance to get it's hooks in them if these annoying bugs/server restrictions weren't in the way.

But somebody who was already interested enough, and literally invested enough, to have preordered the game now deciding that they want to call the whole thing off because of a couple of inconvenient days OF BETA TESTING strikes me as an entitled crazy person.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The animations for Arcanist are pretty epic.

I saw them and I thought "One night I forgot to take off my swagger. I woke up covered in b$%@hes!"

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    The idea of someone with a passing curiosity taking a quick look at the game, hitting some of these roadblocks, and then just moving on with their lives makes total sense. Maybe the game would have had a chance to get it's hooks in them if these annoying bugs/server restrictions weren't in the way.

But somebody who was already interested enough, and literally invested enough, to have preordered the game now deciding that they want to call the whole thing off because of a couple of inconvenient days OF BETA TESTING strikes me as an entitled crazy person.

I can see someone who's been playing the game for a year or so being upset with the things that have been changed in ARR, and being especially frustrated a couple years in that the game isn't stable. I'm not thrilled with all of the changes (I don't like the zone segmenting, though I fucking love the zone redesign, for example).

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
    Oh my god these lambs are ADORABLE

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    @Kai_San
    I've gotten that error before and usually closing game and then relaunching has worked.

PSN: jfrofl
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    So does phase 4 only last this til today? That's kind of a downer. I mean I preordered anyway but still

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    So, as someone with a ton of time invested in this game and now a victim of 3102 I can honestly say. ... thus is why we have stress tests. Sure it's annoying and frustrating. Hell, when I was kicked everyone saw me DC (this differs from how the 1.0 bug happened where you would stand around idle). My guess is that there is a lack of data passing from the login/Lobby server and the world server. If this issue persists into launch my tune will be different, but as for now. .. meh.

on friday I had several friends that couldn't get on sarg, rather than throw tier hands up on dispare they just waited a few hours and now they are with us.

If I an 3120ed all day I shall go do something else :p

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    Radiation wrote: »
    @Kai_San
    I've gotten that error before and usually closing game and then relaunching has worked.

It did, I just didnt get back here to say so (there were a lot of cutscenes)

Ok for now.

• zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    hugs to my fellow 3102 bros. I'd say it gets better but it doesnt

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Between people being afflicted by the 3102 error for more than 24 hours, (Which not only locks them out of that character, but from all of them. It's also apparently been a bug as old as the 1.0 beta.) the server locks keeping friends from rolling on the same server and Square deciding not to communicate at all when those locks will be lifted if ever, people not getting their passwords when registering for the open beta, their clusterfuck of web services getting confused by people's e-mails to the point that it'll tell you your e-mail is already taken, (You know, the one you just registered.) not to mention how they only let people download the client the same day the servers go up, this has been one of the worst open betas I've been a part of. (Let's be real, "open beta" is basically a demo of the product nowadays, with a pinch of stress test thrown in.)

First impressions matter, and I know about a dozen that are ready to write the game off in frustration. And half of them pre-purchased it too.

I've written it off for the PC, but am considering the PS3 version.

I'm torn - SE are terribad at the account management side of things, but the game itself, from the few hours I had to play, is really fun...

• aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited August 2013

Interested might just mean: "Hey, let's check out that refurbished MMO. It looks alright, and we could all play together again."

Then we tally up who's up for it and try to string along more of us so we can play with our old MMO crew.

Then every single one of us start hitting these roadblocks one after another. I was "lucky"; so I got to download the game before the Open Beta, apparently because I had taken part in the original release's Open Beta, and I made a character when the servers went up before going to bed. And even in my case I got the pleasure of being disconnected during a zone transition and blam, no more FFXIV for the weekend due to error 3102.

Two of the people in my group? One never received their Square Enix account e-mail (Yes. He checked his spam and trash folders.) and the other was unable to purchase it due to gateway errors, despite trying with two different connections. Then there were the three that got in but couldn't make characters in our server. Then one of our friends that had very little time to play the entire weekend rolled on one of the new servers to at least get a taste of the game, and when some of us tried to join in shortly afterwards? Oops, guess they locked those servers too.

It's OK though, because their Customer Support section was unreachable throughout all of this, and their forums went down shortly afterwards.

After that many servings of a shit sandwich spread over eight people, most of which spent money pre-purchasing it out of goodwill, (Well, except for the two that couldn't buy it despite trying for hours.) are you seriously calling the people considering a refund entitled and crazy? We've never had so many different issues running at the same time for a single game's Open Beta. Definitely not one that the man behind the miracle 2.0 remake calls a "trial version" of the game, implying it's basically finished.

As for me? Don't get me wrong, I want to give the game a fair chance, but I'm finding it very hard to stay optimistic with all the crap piled up so incredibly high in a mere three days.

aunsoph on
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

I preordered about a week ago, mostly due to following this thread and seeing the videos, the character creator, etc.

I cancelled my preorder yesterday because my Square account is now screwed to the point where I can't reset my password and so can't log in to anything because my account is locked due to (as far as I can tell) random Square problems.

Am I really expected to still give them my money ? Taking into account that even if the game was actually still running, I couldn't play ?

You can talk about entitlement all you like, but my attitude comes down to this - Square are trying to sell me a game. So far, I can't play that game, and it's all down to problems on Square's end - nothing is caused by me.

And there are no shortage of games to be playing instead - back to Guild Wars 2 for me.

• FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »

I preordered about a week ago, mostly due to following this thread and seeing the videos, the character creator, etc.

I cancelled my preorder yesterday because my Square account is now screwed to the point where I can't reset my password and so can't log in to anything because my account is locked due to (as far as I can tell) random Square problems.

Am I really expected to still give them my money ? Taking into account that even if the game was actually still running, I couldn't play ?

You can talk about entitlement all you like, but my attitude comes down to this - Square are trying to sell me a game. So far, I can't play that game, and it's all down to problems on Square's end - nothing is caused by me.

And there are no shortage of games to be playing instead - back to Guild Wars 2 for me.

It really boils down to this, and this is why the market makes brutal examples of people like Square Enix. There's no shortage of legitimately good games to play. No one need feel obligated to put up with their shit, and many of them won't. Tick tock.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    sucks that everyone here in this thread is having problems
    I on the other hand am having a blast holy shit this is fun when it really shouldn't be because its similar to wow

I haven't had any problems since downloading yesterday, besides the initial frustration of FINDING the beta client.

Rollin' around murdering sheep and ladybugs

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    PoolCue wrote: »
    I on the other hand am having a blast holy shit this is fun when it really shouldn't be because its similar to wow

I think it's the sheer attention to detail that's doing it for me. Also a couple of the classes have some real interesting mechanics going on that I feel it's a shame they went with the tired old rotation spam approach. The game has enough charm to compensate. At least this early.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    I got in for a little bit. coming from someone who hasn't followed the game much and just had a friend who was talking about it all the time on facebook, I figured I would give it a go.

I am very biased though because I kind of refuse to go back to the point click and stand still type of MMO of yesterday. That being said, the game is beautiful. My average gaming pc runs it pretty dang well and it looks pretty nice (coming from GW2, which looks VERY nice but gives my pc problems, which last year on its release were MUCH worse than this). Also, this is the slickest, best UI I have ever seen. Something I used to spend days trying to piece together in WoW via addons is all baseline.

But then all that was done, and the cutscenes while wonderful, took forever. Knowing my time was limited, I wanted to find some shit to kill. Call it immersion killing, but I am just much more of a fan of starting an MMO in front of a bunch of enemies as opposed to in a town needing to figure out where to go. But I found fighting, and then... I couldn't take not playing an action mmo again.

If I knew I had more than today to play I might try to see what its like to play in a trinity again because I kind of miss that, but since I do not have enough free time to throw at this I guess thats all the opinions I got. I started a caster and it was slow, I might hope to drop on a melee for a few before the open beta ends.

• Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    Mele is pretty rad, I've been playing PLD mostly and a little of WHM.

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Yeah, how dare Square use the stress testing period for stress testing!

If we're going to fiat that every single "open beta" has been a glorified advertisement, then we should fiat that every single MMO, ever, has had a launch with connectivity/server problems. WoW was a nightmare to try and log in to for months. People who don't have the patience to wait that out should probably not play MMOs when they're first released, or find a different genre.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • WydrionWydrion Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I got in for a little bit. coming from someone who hasn't followed the game much and just had a friend who was talking about it all the time on facebook, I figured I would give it a go.

I am very biased though because I kind of refuse to go back to the point click and stand still type of MMO of yesterday. That being said, the game is beautiful. My average gaming pc runs it pretty dang well and it looks pretty nice (coming from GW2, which looks VERY nice but gives my pc problems, which last year on its release were MUCH worse than this). Also, this is the slickest, best UI I have ever seen. Something I used to spend days trying to piece together in WoW via addons is all baseline.

But then all that was done, and the cutscenes while wonderful, took forever. Knowing my time was limited, I wanted to find some shit to kill. Call it immersion killing, but I am just much more of a fan of starting an MMO in front of a bunch of enemies as opposed to in a town needing to figure out where to go. But I found fighting, and then... I couldn't take not playing an action mmo again.

If I knew I had more than today to play I might try to see what its like to play in a trinity again because I kind of miss that, but since I do not have enough free time to throw at this I guess thats all the opinions I got. I started a caster and it was slow, I might hope to drop on a melee for a few before the open beta ends.

I feel the exact same way. This is basically a reskinned WoW, and while the animations and (specifically character) graphics are great, I almost find myself wishing it had controls more like Tera or GW2, but those games have their own issues.

However I loves me Final Fantasy and I really hope that they can get the funding to deliver a lot of content and become successful. Square-Enix has been worrying me for at least the last year or so, so hopefully with the new console era upon us they can figure out their shit.

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    WoW was launched a long time ago when MMO's were a huge mostly unknown undertaking, and like 30 fucking years ago.
    And this idea of glorified advertisement came from a letter, saying that this is mostly a trial.

Connectivity issues? Sure, stress test bugs.
    Caps on server pops allowing people to not play with their friends? Sure, but be upfront about that.
    The servers seem like they are functioning fine. Most peoples issues stem from not actually able to play with the people they want.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    Kainy wrote: »
    Yeah, how dare Square use the stress testing period for stress testing!

If we're going to fiat that every single "open beta" has been a glorified advertisement, then we should fiat that every single MMO, ever, has had a launch with connectivity/server problems. WoW was a nightmare to try and log in to for months. People who don't have the patience to wait that out should probably not play MMOs when they're first released, or find a different genre.

It certainly is baffling. Very short memorys, new to the genre or new to playing at release.

Wydrion wrote: »
    I feel the exact same way. This is basically a reskinned WoW, and while the animations and (specifically character) graphics are great, I almost find myself wishing it had controls more like Tera or GW2, but those games have their own issues.

However I loves me Final Fantasy and I really hope that they can get the funding to deliver a lot of content and become successful. Square-Enix has been worrying me for at least the last year or so, so hopefully with the new console era upon us they can figure out their shit.

Honestly, I'm pretty okay with WoW in the Final Fantasy universe. The biggest problems I have with WoW are lack of content options at max level (hope you like daily quests!) and gating of content (You play 12 hours a week spread out over 5 days? You're awesome! What's that, you play 12 hours a week but only one day a week? FUCK OFF we don't want you here!). If FFXIV avoids these pitfalls, it should be fine to keep me playing for a while.

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    PoolCue wrote: »

I think it's the sheer attention to detail that's doing it for me. Also a couple of the classes have some real interesting mechanics going on that I feel it's a shame they went with the tired old rotation spam approach. The game has enough charm to compensate. At least this early.

For me, the lack of real innovation is pretty much excused by:
    1) the job system, which is new to me, eliminates the aggravating issue I had in WoW of splitting my identity across characters
    2) playing from my couch,and saving my arms and hands from keyboard and mouse stress.

I wonder if there are many people at all that actually prefer a console mmo like me.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular
    Anyone one right now that can do LS / FC invites? Finally got my character set up and logged on.

XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Wydrion wrote: »

Honestly, I'm pretty okay with WoW in the Final Fantasy universe. The biggest problems I have with WoW are lack of content options at max level (hope you like daily quests!) and gating of content (You play 12 hours a week spread out over 5 days? You're awesome! What's that, you play 12 hours a week but only one day a week? FUCK OFF we don't want you here!). If FFXIV avoids these pitfalls, it should be fine to keep me playing for a while.

Honestly, leveling, if well done, is usually my favorite part of MMOs anyway. I don't know that I'll continue playing this for years to come, but it'll be fun trying all the quests, especially since they were written with quite a good sense of humor.

And, with the whole one character, many classes thing, there's a buttload of leveling to do.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    When can I travel to other cities? I want to start checking out the other classes and learn some more gathering skills.

I think this is the first MMO where I've actually felt like professions made sense and were interesting enough to pursue.

• Hunter_KillersHunter_Killers Registered User regular
    When can I travel to other cities? I want to start checking out the other classes and learn some more gathering skills.

I think this is the first MMO where I've actually felt like professions made sense and were interesting enough to pursue.

You'll get an airship pass to go to the other cities after doing the level 15 story quest.

4efe575fea51ec35.png
This discussion has been closed.