As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Trailers] 2 Minutes in Heaven

• JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Bad trailer, but it's got David Morse, so I'll probably see it.

Oh shit son I am going to watch that so hard. David Morse is kind of the best.

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    City of Bones angers me so much, because it epitomizes what is wrong with the publishing industry.

Cassandra Clare originally wrote City of Bones as Harry Potter fanfic, but because she knew a bunch of people in the industry, she got the chance to essentially rename the characters and tweak the absolute minimum (there are huge chunks that are just her fanfic with the names changed) and get it published.

I seriously cannot wait until the current publishing industry burns to the ground and actual talented writers get the shots, rather than just friends and family of agents and editors.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    So that's two fanfics going "pro" that I've heard about now.

Maybe I should complete that one I started writing back in high school.

newSig.jpg
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    City of Bones angers me so much, because it epitomizes what is wrong with the publishing industry.

Cassandra Clare originally wrote City of Bones as Harry Potter fanfic, but because she knew a bunch of people in the industry, she got the chance to essentially rename the characters and tweak the absolute minimum (there are huge chunks that are just her fanfic with the names changed) and get it published.

I seriously cannot wait until the current publishing industry burns to the ground and actual talented writers get the shots, rather than just friends and family of agents and editors.

Talented writers get shots all the time.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited August 2013

The fact Clare had to change so little from her fanfic to make Mortal Instruments should give her some leeway. By doing that her series isn't so connected to Harry Potter, even if it started off like that. Fanficcers can be talented like any other writers, they can also be terrible - which is also something published authors can be re: Terry Goodkind, Stephanie Meyer, Christopher Paolini, Tom Kratman. This isn't Fifty Shades of Gray and that had many differences from Twilight. Authors would be stupid to ignore the opportunities having friends and family in the biz gives them. Authors need every advantage they can get ahead to succeed in the business.

edit: Lois McMaster Bujold was a fanfic author before she became a successful novelist, so did Naomi Novik.

Harry Dresden on
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »

There's also the whole thing with Eragon

Not exactly fanfic, but pretty close

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »

There's also the whole thing with Eragon

Not exactly fanfic, but pretty close

Paolini knew that the key was to just blatantly copy two different popular works at the same time rather then write fanfiction.

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Bad trailer, but it's got David Morse, so I'll probably see it.

Oh shit son I am going to watch that so hard. David Morse is kind of the best.

I was already going to watch Treme because, y'know, The Wire, but when I heard they'd cast David Morse as a cop with moral and political objections to the corruption and incompetence that plagues his department, I had to be pried away from my television set.

• OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    Pain and Gain opens in the UK this week and the trailer that's running for it makes it look like a slapstick comedy, sort of like The Hangover on Steroids.

Having seen it, that was one fucked up film.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Good or bad?

"Fucked up" can be a lot of things.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Wait. Pain and Gain isn't the movie version of Hans and Franz?

HansFranz.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Wait. Pain and Gain isn't the movie version of Hans and Franz?

HansFranz.jpg

Are they going to pump, you up?

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    Good or bad?

"Fucked up" can be a lot of things.

It was pretty good, if only for just how completely and utterly mental it was. Yeah, it's funny, but it's a dark 'these guys are fucking morons' funny.

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    pain and gain is out in 2 weeks. we got kickass 2 and 2 guns this week. Elysium, we're the millers and lovelace next week and then its pain and gain and the way way back, and upstream colour.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I was really, really surprised at how good Pain & Gain was.

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    pain and gain is out in 2 weeks. we got kickass 2 and 2 guns this week. Elysium, we're the millers and lovelace next week and then its pain and gain and the way way back, and upstream colour.

I totally thought there was a movie about Ada Lovelace coming out that I had somehow not heard about. Great disappointment followed when I looked it up.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

upstream color is amazing. my favorite film of the year.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    pain and gain came out in what, april? why has it taken so long to come to dvd. I know like some huge movies may take awhile to go to dvd...but it seems like pain and gain was hardly in the theaters and has been waiting to come out on dvd forever

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2013

I totally thought there was a movie about Ada Lovelace coming out that I had somehow not heard about. Great disappointment followed when I looked it up.

Is that the movie where Lindsey Lohan shows her beewbs? I heard about Lindsay Lohan and her mammaries on my favourite televised show E! News, so now I'm super excited to see that hot banger of a cinemafilm.

reVerse on
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    No, the one that Lohan is in is called The Canyons.

sig.gif
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    Has the gravity trailer been posted yet? Just incase:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4pcg7bXgmU#at=101

Is that going to be a space version of Open Water? Because it certainly looks as terrifying.

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    I've read both Vampire Academy and City of Bones and they were pretty generic and forgetful urban fantasy. I should say that I'm surprised that they got made into movies, but I'm really not.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    So apparently it's a Hansel and Gretel movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxX5KYygsBc

No, not that one.

No, not that other one either.

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    I've seen that at the rental place for a few months now and I've come super close to renting it a couple of times.

Looks like one of those so bad it's good movies.

Also, wtf Tribeca? Haha.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • SealSeal Registered User regular
    So apparently it's a Hansel and Gretel movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxX5KYygsBc

No, not that one.

No, not that other one either.
    This influx of hansel and Gretel movies is quite baffling.

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Fivel and Booboo?!?

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJrYE7TLJq4

I want this movie to get made.

It is

beautiful.

I'm not sure I want them to play that straight or just go... nuts with it.

newSig.jpg
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Booooo!

I'll be honest, I wasn't going for the pun but there was no other way to put it.

Either way, it could be good. If they play it straight it could be something like The Birds. If they go off the rails, it could still be fun.
    Thing is, they can't flip flop. They should commit to one or the other.

newSig.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I think the attraction to Hansel and Gretel right now is that it's a lot easier to justify a female part to execs.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I don't think "An X, Y, Z, and sexy woman" has ever been a hard sell. Or that they even care about getting any person in a roll other than 1 that'll make them money. But maybe I'm mistaken on that 2nd part. I just really doubt it.

Probably the rights were freed up and everyone jumped on them or something...

Xeddicus on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I don't think "An X, Y, Z, and sexy woman" has ever been a hard sell. Or that they even care about getting any person in a roll other than 1 that'll make them money. But maybe I'm mistaken on that 2nd part. I just really doubt it.

Probably the rights were freed up and everyone jumped on them or something...

I disagree on this part. Hansel and Gretel are a fairy tale that was made over a hundred years ago. It's public domain.

Harry Dresden on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I saw H&G Get Baked at a Red Box a couple of times and assumed it was an Asylum movie. That trailer actually looks fun, though.

And I think Squirrels worked great as a trailer, but I doubt I want to see 90 minutes of it. They already failed at serious drama by having the squirrel jump at the camera, and playing it for laughs will get old the second time someone has their face chewed off by fucking Chip and Dale.*

*Yes, I know they are chipmunks.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    H&G Get Baked has been in my Netflix instant queue for a while now.

I finally watched it yesterday. It is exactly as expected. Mediocre stoner comedy/horror hybrid.

• MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    re. Squirrels: I kind of want that to be a viral thing and in the actual film the girl's name is changed to Doreen.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I saw H&G Get Baked at a Red Box a couple of times and assumed it was an Asylum movie. That trailer actually looks fun, though.

And I think Squirrels worked great as a trailer, but I doubt I want to see 90 minutes of it. They already failed at serious drama by having the squirrel jump at the camera, and playing it for laughs will get old the second time someone has their face chewed off by fucking Chip and Dale.*

The Asylum and the Wayans have ruined spoofs for me now. Unless it is an extremely well liked director/writer on the credits, I avoid spoofs like the plague.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

The Asylum and the Wayans have ruined spoofs for me now. Unless it is an extremely well liked director/writer on the credits, I avoid spoofs like the plague.

Hmmmmm...

SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
This discussion has been closed.