As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime 2013 Costume Thread

• Options
    MembinoMembino Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    There usually are not competitions although LOL does a thing on the stage but its not like a contest. dunno if they are doing that this year...maybe it was cause they were doing finals of their tourney. For the most part the cosplay is just for fun. I hope they do the league thing again this year. i'm doing a league of legends costume friday, a Bioshock infinite Saturday and a warhammer 40 sunday. So much luggage to bring!

Membino on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I'm gonna be going to PAX with my friends, and on Sunday, we're all gonna be dressed up in various Bioshock costumes, (Luteces, Rapture-Elizabeth, Little Sister) and I thought it'd be neat if anyone else out there who's Cosplaying as something bioshocky, we could all meet up for photos and whatnot. What do you think? Anyone who'd be down with that?

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    phlashkophlashko Registered User regular
    Buff/creepy shirtless teemo. No I will not show you a picture yet. You will just have to wait and enjoy at pax. I may also be handing out teemo mushroom with gifts attached to them.

• Options
    HostileParadoxHostileParadox Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    So I need to repaint this. The white part is going to be orange and the orange pump handle, sights and nozzle parts need to be black.
    But seeing the cosplay weapon policies, do I have to leave the nozzle orange?
    Super-Soaker-Scatter-Blast3.jpg
    Going to be cutting it up to insert a drum mag underneath, which is going to be orange and gray.
    A042_1_20130411141582226.jpg

HostileParadox on
  • Options
    RDubbRDubb Registered User regular
    So I need to repaint this. The white part is going to be orange and the orange pump handle, sights and nozzle parts need to be black.
    But seeing the cosplay weapon policies, do I have to leave the nozzle orange?
    Super-Soaker-Scatter-Blast3.jpg
    Going to be cutting it up to insert a drum mag underneath, which is going to be orange and gray.
    A042_1_20130411141582226.jpg

You are not required to leave the tip orange. However, the rule for cosplay weapons is that it must not be mistaken for a real weapon "at second glance." I interpret this as: If an Enforcer stops you to make sure your stuff has been approved, he/she should be able to tell that your weapon is fake from looking at you holding it. If they need to inspect it any closer to verify that it isn't real, you probably shouldn't bring it/paint it that way.

Keep in mind that, on top of these rules, carrying weapons (fake or otherwise) out in public may draw unwanted police attention. I highly recommend transporting your prop weapons to and from the convention center in some sort of bag/case, just to save everyone a headache.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, that's the one rule I'm kind of on the fence about. At second glance is a bit of a subjective term. Since it will be orange, but have dark parts as well.

*Must be a bright color (yellow, orange, neons type of bright colors). Blue, black, and other dark colors will fall under the "Looks like a firearm at second glance" category and will not be allowed.

HostileParadox on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Also since it's nerf you would have to remove the firing mechanisms

• Options
    VianethVianeth Registered User regular
    So I probably won't be able to take photos in my Selene costume with these...
    http://www.moviereplicasdirect.com/underworld-selene-s-death-dealer-pistol-replicas.html

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    those would not be allowed inside of pax, not sure about the city of seattle.

• Options
    AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Hello.

All costume weapons get checked at the weapons check booth by info desk. This way all other Enforcers can see if you're weapon has been checked (it gets a zip tie).

Your right, the guideline is subjective.

There is nothing that says your "gun" has to be a bright color, what you can't have is a firearm that looks real from a distance, including in your holster.

Vianeth: Those will not be allowed.

• Options
    Thanks for clearing that up.

• Options
    embraceternityembraceternity Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Zombicus wrote: »
    @embraceternity It looks like Irrational Games wants to give you a helping hand! By request, they've released pictures of the new Elizabeth outfit.

I'm SO happy they did. Almost done with this cosplay, as well as her 1st outfit cosplay! I'll post pics soon!

• Options
    koleypunchkoleypunch Portland, OR/Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    This'll be my first con that I cosplay. Super excited, especially because I decided to do it only last night. I won't be going as anything particular, but rather a steampunk character I made up. I wear a prosthesis, so some modding to it has made a great robotic arm. :)

location! location! bees!
  • Options
    manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    Here is my finished costume for 'Jacket' from Hotline Miami. Thoughts on if I should try and bloody it up or bring a bat as my weapon? Little worried of friendly fire while with a mask on.
    ymSBWPyl.jpg

XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Options
    PlanetsideCosplayPlanetsideCosplay Aaron Thompson / Last Oryx Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    So, there isn't anything much more awesome than pirates... other than being Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag themed pirates and running around Freeway Park during Pax Prime looking for booty. Grab your peg-leg or parrot and join us for an awesome 17th century Assassin's Creed IV meetup at Pax Prime!

Unfamiliar with the WSTCC? We got you. Here's a map! If you've been to one of our gatherings before, we're using "Area 3" (the same area that has been used for Assassin's Creed gatherings at both ECCC and Sakura Con since the dawn of time)! http://lastoryx.com/pictures/map.png

Not good with maps? (...and you call yourself a pirate...) Well, starting from the main entrance on Pike Street, pass by a row of fountains (past Taco del Mar) and continue on to the 2nd floor. From there, simply head straight back. You'll see a seating area and the Juicy Cafe. Head right out the door and there will be a large staircase in front of you and a bell to your left! Welcome to Freeway Park!

If you're more visual, it's the awesome place where this happened at Sakura Con 2013: http://lastoryx.com/pictures/paxprimemeetup.jpg

@1500 all who wish to participate can meet us at the main Level 1 fountain to "blend" to our location. aka, we'll lead you there in no time flat ;D Photoshoot will start at 1530, giving time to meet each other, exchange business cards, etc. There will be a mini costume contest and then we'll all head to the Assassin's Creed IV panel!!!!

Our lead photographer will be the lovely Stephanie Doring of Harbinger Photography. Our photoshoot director is Daylight Runner and I'll be assisting! Check out the FB event here and RSVP: https://www.facebook.com/events/527927760578672/

Disclaimer: Times/locations are subject to change - watch the FB event page for more details. This is an unofficial meetup that is not sponsored by either Pax Prime or Ubisoft. This is an independent event in Freeway Park and, as such, Pax Prime membership is not required. Views expressed during this gathering or through any of it's advertisements or media blogs do not constitute a representation of the idealogy associated with any of the companies mentioned above! Need more info and you're anti-FB? Shoot me an e-mail at: aaron@lastoryx.com

PlanetsideCosplay on
  • Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    Finally got off my lazy butt and finished my White Mage robe for this convention. Never want to embroider that many red triangles again. Now just to finish getting everything for Zacharie and I'll be home free. I'll be dressed up as the Soldier also from TF2 at the last minute to match with my boyfriends Scout and I'm really excited to wear it even with a giant rocket launcher which I'll have to check.

• Options
    lLoneWolfllLoneWolfl Registered User new member
    edited August 2013
    Woooo.......
    =_=
    remind me again never ever make stuff while in Taiwan EVER....
    http://c.blog.xuite.net/c/a/e/b/23134555/blog_1836744/txt/61707863/6.png
    Mod edit: removed embed of > 500k img

Whelp i neglected finishing this cosplay 2 months ago before i left for Tawian and then Singapore for my vacation.
    Good news is that i am almost done with his leg armor, i just need to glue two sides of the 4 pieces together on my legs.
    However for the back leg I am attempting to use my pants layer as layer 1 and layer 2. Trying to create the illusion effect that ur looking at two layers but in reality ur looking at one.
    I HOPE THIS WORKS >.< Ill post pics of the real thing later this week when im done.
    im sweating, and exhausted in this heat.. plus i still gotta go out to get more materials...... apparently Taiwan doesnt sell Elmers glue ANYWHERE >:l
    x.x

Considering of making a in game prop instead of the original sword due to time. (Nasod Battle Suit Saber)
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/q71/1004608_631839053494065_273864611_n.jpg

Also I gotta thank my gf and her mom for finishing the top, the original plan was to fin before i left for Taiwan, now all that remains is the fitting and the final patterns.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/998786_591180654265333_571114828_n.jpg

lLoneWolfl on
    cFhq9lX.jpg
  • Options
    dreamninjadreamninja Registered User regular
    Note to self...don't ever watch Heroes of Cosplay while working on your costume...I ended up scrapping mine and starting over again in frustration...

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Shotty for Support is done. Just need a few more touches to the suit and off to Seattle it goes :D

"AmmoMule! Keep your Ammo Cool and Your Bacon Hot! Official combat cooler of Monday Night Combat."
    shotty.jpg
    Support_Shotgun.jpg

HostileParadox on
  • Options
    Your gun looks great!

• Options
    AaronC wrote: »
    Your gun looks great!
    Thanks. Took a bit of a mad rush around town a few times to finish it this quick.

• Options
    Here are some shots of my prosthesis that I'm modding
    IMAG1041_zps59daf270.jpg
    IMAG1044_zps796c9430.jpg
    IMAG1042_zps20e3cae6.jpg

• Options
    That looks bad ass

• Options
    edited August 2013
    That looks bad ass

Mine? Thank you very much, if so!

koleypunch on
  • Options
    Yes yours!

• Options
    apocalypticashapocalypticash Seattle-ishRegistered User regular
    Hey, I was wondering last night about some of my accessories that I want to wear for Gaige... She has a hammer in a holster on one of her belts, and a wrench in a pouch on her ankle. Would I be able to carry a real hammer in the belt pocket? (Maybe one of the rounded ones, so it won't be sharp) Or does that cross the 'you can hit someone with it' line?

I have tiny toy tools for this, but they're real small - to the point of being way unrealistic, and I'm not happy with them - or I saw some super large ones at toys 'r us the other day that are TOO big, and I don't like them for the same reason. Halp?

• Options
    skylatronskylatron Registered User regular
    I'm doing Gaige as well, and being very minimalist on her belt accessories. She has a LOT - I'm just picking the ones I can make look"passable" and ignoring the rest, unless I run across some toys. No one will begrudge you for lacking a wrench.

• Options
    skylatron wrote: »
    I'm doing Gaige as well, and being very minimalist on her belt accessories. She has a LOT - I'm just picking the ones I can make look"passable" and ignoring the rest, unless I run across some toys. No one will begrudge you for lacking a wrench.

I really want the wrench and hammer since I was working on making a grenade mod and shield, but most likely won't have them done in time. She definitely DOES have a lot of junk hanging from her belts, and I won't be upset if I don't have EVERYthing.

• Options
    Yes yours!
    Thank you again! I am debating adding more to it

• Options
    QuiptoriumQuiptorium Beaverton, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm also going as Gaige to PAX Prime and I made the wrench and hammer out of EVA foam. I couldn't find a toy hammer that was the right size and a real hammer/wrench will be too heavy to carry around.

Gaige has too many accessories. *sob*

• Options
    Quiptorium wrote: »
    I'm also going as Gaige to PAX Prime and I made the wrench and hammer out of EVA foam. I couldn't find a toy hammer that was the right size and a real hammer/wrench will be too heavy to carry around.

Gaige has too many accessories. *sob*

I'd make the hammer and wrench out of EVA too, if I had more time, and wanted to deal with EVA. (I hate it so hard.)
    SO MANY accessories...

• Options
    skylatronskylatron Registered User regular
    I'm making the piston thing out of PVC pipe and one the the PVC end cap thingies. Having a hard time with her gear-looking belt the most...

• Options
    skylatron wrote: »
    I'm making the piston thing out of PVC pipe and one the the PVC end cap thingies. Having a hard time with her gear-looking belt the most...

I actually ended up being given a real piston from my roommate's step-dad, and I used a thin belt, with pieces of worbla made to look sort of like a bike chain put over the top of it and then painted.

• Options
    QuiptoriumQuiptorium Beaverton, ORRegistered User regular
    My boyfriend made the piston from a tin spice container and styrene. The belt was a mixture of EVA foam and 6 mm craft foam, the buckle was ABS plastic and styrene.

How did you guys do her earring and rings? I used a nylon screw and nut with a wire loop, but I'm worried about it slipping off my ear. The rings were carved out of EVA foam.

• Options
    I keep forgetting about the earring, and I guess I just didn't pay attention, and didn't realize that she had rings. Easy enough, I'm sure though.

• Options
    hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    I kinda feel defeated this year, the car accident has put me in wheelchair and I can not sew anymore until after the surgery. So I will bring my cute moogle costume and my retro marvel comic book costume to the table. If you see me and in costume come take a picture. I love all the costumes people make and the photos would make me happy. Can't wait to see you all.

Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    APacManAPacMan Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I read through the thread, but might have missed this: Does PAX Prime have a favorite day for Cosplaying? At East the generally accepted 'main' day is Saturday.

I've packed away my Booker DeWitt outfit from last PAXEast (Might wear it next year), and have finished Finn (Adventure Time). My partner will be PB (as her scientist persona).

Mathmatical.

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. -Robert Wilensky

Twitter: @APacManSays
  • Options
    Did you read the first post? I ask because if you haven't you should, your questions are answered there.

There are no restrictions on bludgeoning weapons. The restrictions are on firearm look al ikes, airsoft and sharp things.

You can bring a hammer or a wrench, just don't hit anyone with them.

• Options
    I did a while ago, but admittedly should have read through again. Thanks though! Looks like I'm using my hammer and wrench. :)

• Options
    ThatchThatch Seattle, WARegistered User new member
    I'll be doing some Doctor Who cosplay as the Tenth Doctor on Sat/Sun.

I've been trying to find other RTD-era DW cosplayers to meet up with, but it's much more difficult a task than I thought it would be!

So, if anyone is interested, gimme a shout!

tumblr_mrp67jbGeR1riwziao1_500.jpg
    First photo after getting my hair cut! Couldn't resist.

tumblr_mrwqibSXLv1riwziao1_500.jpg
    My accessories/gear, suit and oxford nearly ready..