As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mechwarrior Online: OLD THREAD IS OLD, GO AWAY!

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I haven't played with machineguns much, but the idea of a weapon being effective at short range against non-armored targets doesn't seem like that big a problem

maybe they should be heavier, or ammo should be less/ton

anyway, what I came here to ask is how damage falloff works. Do weapons just do max damage out to the max optimal range, then linearly fall off to 0 at their maximum limit?

also people don't like LBX-10s huh? I was gonna try two out on my ilya

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    anyway, what I came here to ask is how damage falloff works. Do weapons just do max damage out to the max optimal range, then linearly fall off to 0 at their maximum limit?

Yup.

We luuurv space shotguns! See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lLHE10C6rU

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I haven't played with machineguns much, but the idea of a weapon being effective at short range against non-armored targets doesn't seem like that big a problem

maybe they should be heavier, or ammo should be less/ton

We love space shotgun, but we also know exactly what we're doing when we take them out. Not in a "we're super pro so nyeah" sorta way but in a "we know these things are awful and we just don't give a fuck" way.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    the alternative would be to just fit two ac10s, but those are kinda heavy. Less expensive though, hrm

I wish you could take any build you wanted into the training area

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    J. H. FrankJ. H. Frank Registered User new member
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I cannot figure out a build for the JagerMech-A. Only marginal success I've had was a sort of ersatz Reaper-esque thing with a gauss a couple MLAS and a bunch of SRMs, then they clamped down on boating SRMs.

4 SRM6s is only 1.2 more heat than it used to be. It's not a big handicap.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I cannot figure out a build for the JagerMech-A. Only marginal success I've had was a sort of ersatz Reaper-esque thing with a gauss a couple MLAS and a bunch of SRMs, then they clamped down on boating SRMs.

4 SRM6s is only 1.2 more heat than it used to be. It's not a big handicap.
    I cannot figure out a build for the JagerMech-A. Only marginal success I've had was a sort of ersatz Reaper-esque thing with a gauss a couple MLAS and a bunch of SRMs, then they clamped down on boating SRMs. Now I haven't a clue what to do with this thing.

Did someone say Jagermech!?

[JM6-A]: 2xSRM6, 2xMG, 2xSRM4, AMS, 2xLLAS, 300XL, DHS, Endo

You can still fire 4 SRM racks together without much of an issue. I still do and it hasn't been a huge impact at all on my various Jager-S derp fits.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Yeah the heat scale only starts applying for SRMs past 4 racks. It only really affects the Splatcat builds, and maybe the Splat Stalker and Golden Boy.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    Yeah the heat scale only starts applying for SRMs past 4 racks. It only really affects the Splatcat builds, and maybe the Splat Stalker and Golden Boy.

Nope.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I wound up fitting my ilya with 2xLLA 2xAC/10, and it works pretty well

had to give up some armor but then, who legs a cataphract anyway

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Trying some solo drops.

Upside? I'm noticing a lot more coherent play from the PUGs compared to our four man drops, even from the ones in trial mechs.
    Downside? WHY AM I DROPPING WITH PUGS IN TRIAL MECHS?

We had really good scouting and a nice firing line but that doesn't matter when your competent scouts are driving tinfoil trial mechs and your assaults doing what they can are also trial mechs. I felt kinda bad for those guys tbh because that wasn't really their fault they got popped so hard. :(

EDIT: Ok, I'm having legit fun solo dropping. The matches are playing out well, the pubs are generally likeable and work together at least somewhat, and there is a really bizarre uptick in medium mechs that I was really not expecting to see. So yeah, 4 mans basically break this game in half and I might start doing smaller groups to ensure a more enjoyable MWO experience.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    I accidentally dropped in the trial catapult with a PA lance earlier, so that was fun. The trial catapult actually isn't bad, though.

is there any kind of experience based matchmaking beyond the cadet level?

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Oh man, the Goldenboy is fucking hilarious. When the CT hitbox gets fixed this thing is going to be a goddamn nightmare on the battlefield.
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Nope.

To further my point there: I am not shy about the alpha strikes in the Kintaro but I don't lean on the trigger. Since I mostly just wait for solid shots my heat has time to calm itself down leaving me with a more or less easy to manage mech. Besides, when in doubt, chain fire those fuckers!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Oh man, the Goldenboy is fucking hilarious. When the CT hitbox gets fixed this thing is going to be a goddamn nightmare on the battlefield.

Nope.

To further my point there: I am not shy about the alpha strikes in the Kintaro but I don't lean on the trigger. Since I mostly just wait for solid shots my heat has time to calm itself down leaving me with a more or less easy to manage mech. Besides, when in doubt, chain fire those fuckers!

I do the standard 'one group for lasers, one for arm missiles, one for torso missiles' thing and only overheat when I get excited and alpha a killshot... which is awkward when he has buddies behind his cored ass.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Soooooo people who have success in this game;

How do I emulate you? Because I've been losing almost every single one of my matches lately. Wondering what I could do to change that. I don't want to keep blaming pubs.

Not a whole lot you can do while pugging and dropping in group. I had a horrendous losing streak a few weeks back, and it sucked. Didnt matter how well i played. Sometimes lady luck just bitch slaps you.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    So... just realized that modules are in the game now. How do those work?

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Handgimp wrote: »
    So... just realized that modules are in the game now. How do those work?

Every mech has a number of module slots (+1 if you unlock the master xp level for them). You unlock modules with GXP in the Pilot Tree section, then buy them for spacebux in the mechlab to put on your mech. As with XL engines, swapping modules is common.

Seismic Sensor is awesome.

Do not get the Advanced Zoom mod until they change it to something actually useful.

• Options
    Sweet, I'll work on unlocking those once I master my Kintaros.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Target info, sensor range, and target decay are good. At this point I think seismic goes without saying

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    And don't bother with the consumable boosts, unless you use the UAV a lot I suppose. But Arty & Airstrike are just meh, not worth spending the GXP on unless you've got everything else unlocked. And even then they're probably not worth it.

• Options
    VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Well, it only took about a week of them being useful before people started calling for MG nerfs when they die to them.

Oh pubs. Never change.

I'm on the fence about that. On the one hand, fighting in MG functional range is no small task; on the other hand, the killpower boost is INSANE when you get past armor. As in, kinda ridiculous. 10 DPS per machine gun is pretty outrageously high, but how do you even balance the MGs so having less than three doesn't suck and having more than three doesn't let you core an Atlas in seconds?

The best I can think of is to make them for destroying components rather than structure; sparing a 1.5-2 tons for a pair of MGs + ammo wouldn't be that bad for setting off leg ammo on every mech you use it on or stripping the weapons out of an Atlas from behind. After all, there are more ways to balance weapons than straight-up kill power, if you give them real utility.

As amusing as 6xMG on Jagermechs is, the (hilarious) speed with which they ventilate Atlases with exposed CTs could very well be quite excessive.

I hope they don't do anything drastic, but I've been saying that a tweak of some kind is pretty much required. Maybe drop the damage a bit so the current 6xMGs are as effective as 4, and the 4 are as effective as 2. Spiders and Cicadas are just doing too much damage for their size/speed; the Jager DD is balanced, but an outlier, and I'd be willing to lose that build in the nerf.

I love the MG's current role as a light ballistic that makes your enemy pay in blood if you can get into knife range on an exposed panel. It's just a bit too strong right now.

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Well, it only took about a week of them being useful before people started calling for MG nerfs when they die to them.

Oh pubs. Never change.

I'm on the fence about that. On the one hand, fighting in MG functional range is no small task; on the other hand, the killpower boost is INSANE when you get past armor. As in, kinda ridiculous. 10 DPS per machine gun is pretty outrageously high, but how do you even balance the MGs so having less than three doesn't suck and having more than three doesn't let you core an Atlas in seconds?

The best I can think of is to make them for destroying components rather than structure; sparing a 1.5-2 tons for a pair of MGs + ammo wouldn't be that bad for setting off leg ammo on every mech you use it on or stripping the weapons out of an Atlas from behind. After all, there are more ways to balance weapons than straight-up kill power, if you give them real utility.

As amusing as 6xMG on Jagermechs is, the (hilarious) speed with which they ventilate Atlases with exposed CTs could very well be quite excessive.

I hope they don't do anything drastic, but I've been saying that a tweak of some kind is pretty much required. Maybe drop the damage a bit so the current 6xMGs are as effective as 4, and the 4 are as effective as 2. Spiders and Cicadas are just doing too much damage for their size/speed; the Jager DD is balanced, but an outlier, and I'd be willing to lose that build in the nerf.

I love the MG's current role as a light ballistic that makes your enemy pay in blood if you can get into knife range on an exposed panel. It's just a bit too strong right now.

I'll never forgive you.

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    My default modules are always Seismic and Cap accelerator. I also have all the module upgrades for those unlocked. If I have 3 slots or it's a really slow mech I will usually put in a Coolshot 9x9 (fully upgraded). I find i don't always use them but on energy boats, if I'm in a life or death fight I will use it and it has saved my ass.

In 12 mans I actually have been bringing arty strikes on my DDC since I go first I just arty strike into the enemy group as we are going in and then it tends to disperse them. But i'm the only person I've ever seen use an arty strike.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I still haven't earned enough xp and cash to buy any modules.

• Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

The XP thing for modules is really slow unless you pay real money to convert mech XP to GXP.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I accidentally dropped in the trial catapult with a PA lance earlier, so that was fun. The trial catapult actually isn't bad, though.

is there any kind of experience based matchmaking beyond the cadet level?

The trial catapult right now is what's known as a "Champion" mech. It's configuration was picked by the community, and is therefore better than the "stock" variants usually in the trial mechs.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    My module preferences, in general order of preferredness, based on role:

Light/Fast Mechs:
    Seismic (for knowing where they are)
    Cap Accelerator (because I tend to be doing this in a light/fast mech)
    Target Info Gathering (for knowing where to knife 'em)
    Sensor Range (for knowing sooner where dey at) (Better for scouting, optional and can be replaced with something else)

Brawlers:
    Seismic
    Target Info Gathering
    Sensor Range (Optional, can be replaced by something else)

Snipers:
    Seismic
    Target Info Gathering
    Sensor Range

LURMboats:
    Seismic
    Target Decay (So the LURMs get there more often)
    Sensor Range

I would use UAV and Cool Shot modules, if it didn't cost as much. Now that it costs slightly less than 40% of my average match winnings, I'm skipping those until it's SRS BZNS time. But both are super useful, and fully upgraded are fantastic.

360 Target Retention could be fine, but I've never run it, nor felt a need for it.

Currently skippable: Anything related to the Air Strikes or Artillery Strikes. Just not worth it at the moment. Advanced Zoom is also hot garbage at the moment.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited August 2013

The XP thing for modules is really slow unless you pay real money to convert mech XP to GXP.

And modules are ridiculously expensive. If you do something like Seismic Sensor/Target Retention/Target Info Gathering it's 16 million CBills.
    Nips wrote: »
    360 Target Retention could be fine, but I've never run it, nor felt a need for it.

Since it only goes out to 200m, it's pretty much a shittier version of Seismic Sensor right now.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular

And modules are ridiculously expensive. If you do something like Seismic Sensor/Target Retention/Target Info Gathering it's 16 million CBills.

Yeah they're pretty ridiculous cost-wise as well. I currently only have Seismic, Target Decay, and Advanced Waste of a Module Zoom. I keep meaning to get around to buying the capture and sensor range modules, but everytime I have the cash I end up buying a mech instead.

Why do modules cost more then some mechs?

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    OrickOrick Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »
    But in all seriousness, I think the single most contributing factor to success is: let someone else go in first.

Crap. You mean I have been doing it wrong this whole time??!!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Yeah they're pretty ridiculous cost-wise as well. I currently only have Seismic, Target Decay, and Advanced Waste of a Module Zoom. I keep meaning to get around to buying the capture and sensor range modules, but everytime I have the cash I end up buying a mech instead.

Why do modules cost more then some mechs?

I have always wondered this myself. They're already super limited in how many you can get because of the gxp requirement and they don't really do gamebreaking things, I'm not sure why they're so bloody expensive.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Orick wrote: »
    Kashaar wrote: »
    But in all seriousness, I think the single most contributing factor to success is: let someone else go in first.

Crap. You mean I have been doing it wrong this whole time??!!

No, no, Orick.

You're the one we're letting go in first!

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    In all seriousness, being the first one over a ridge/through a chokepoint/etc is always risky. Basically you want to minimize the amount of time when the enemy has only one target to focus their fire on.

This doesn't mean everybody shuffles around and looks awkwardly at each other waiting for someone else to be the brave/stupid sacrificial lamb and stick their nose out first. (Well, sometimes in pubs it does). It means that whenever possible, you should try to time your movements so that people aren't hung out to dry by themselves.

If you need to go over a rise (like the central ridge by the crashed dropship on Frozen City, for example), try to have 2-3 'mechs go over it at approximately the same time. There is often a natural hesitation as people's crosshairs waver from one target to another trying to figure out which one is the biggest threat/easiest kill. We all know this from experience because we have done the same thing. Use this natural indecisiveness on your enemy's part to your advantage. The easiest thing in the game is for multiple people to focus fire on the only target which presents itself in front of them, and you don't want to ever make things easy for the opposition.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Also when going over that ridge either push or pull back. Don't stop. I have seen many mechs explode from being indecisive of pushing or backing off. If you want to push then push. If you don't then don't. But don't stop and stand there blocking off everyone behind you.

Also on TOG's stuff on piloting mediums. I agree. But I actually learned a lot of my survivability skills piloting commandos. I didn't have the jenner speed or the spider hitbox to save me. I had to learn to move around and flank to survive.

Mediums require a lot more thought. And playing my Golden Boy requires a lot more because of the chest plate being a magnet that even PGI admits is too big. But once you have good games and you start transferring that play style to like Cataphract or Jaeger you really start doing good damage and it starts feeling easy. My Ilyas is a piece of cake compared to my Golden Boy, 4SP or my Commandos. Especially my 1D because it doesn't even get an ecm bubble to save it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    I only try to crest ridges if I'm : A. in an atlas with full support. or B. In a mech going 100+ and already making a 180 degree turn to just barely scope what's on the other side.

I have no problem with module cost. They are, according to PGI, the "endgame". They work on every mech and you just have to pay once for the use on every mech (UI swapping considerations aside) so the 2-3mil cost isn't so bad.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    So as we are just a month away from launch and a few pages away from a new thread, I was thinking the OP was due for another overhaul and rewrite. Does anyone have anything they'd like to see added to it?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular

Nope.

My point was that since SRM6s and SRM4s share the same heat cap of 3, so if you fire everything at once you will get hit with extra heat.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    altmann wrote: »
    I only try to crest ridges if I'm : A. in an atlas with full support. or B. In a mech going 100+ and already making a 180 degree turn to just barely scope what's on the other side.

I have no problem with module cost. They are, according to PGI, the "endgame". They work on every mech and you just have to pay once for the use on every mech (UI swapping considerations aside) so the 2-3mil cost isn't so bad.

Except when they add that mode where you bring 4 fully kitted mechs, which means you need to spend ~60 million cbills to have a full module kit on every mech. Goofy. I could maybe understand paying once to unlock the module and then you can get as many copies of it to add to your mechs as you want, but as it stands eeeehhhhhh goofy.

• Options

Nope.

My point was that since SRM6s and SRM4s share the same heat cap of 3, so if you fire everything at once you will get hit with extra heat.
    Yeah, but that extra heat really doesn't matter. SRMs are so lightweight that you can still just fart missiles everywhere and give not a single damn about it.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    But don't stop and stand there blocking off everyone behind you.

Especially, for the love of God, don't stop on the ramps up to the volcano catwalk on Terra Therma. One 'mech stopped in the middle of those can logjam an entire lance behind it. Just don't stop there period. There isn't room for more than two 'mechs abreast on them. Sack up, spread out onto the catwalk, and make a firing line.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    But don't stop and stand there blocking off everyone behind you.

Especially, for the love of God, don't stop on the ramps up to the volcano catwalk on Terra Therma. One 'mech stopped in the middle of those can logjam an entire lance behind it. Just don't stop there period. There isn't room for more than two 'mechs abreast on them. Sack up, spread out onto the catwalk, and make a firing line.

TT is the one map I try to make sure there are big heavies in front of me. Because pub Atlas think they are completely immortal and will walk forward being shot so my little GB or Hunchback and sneak and and start clean up.

But god I have died on those ramps from indecisive teammates so many times.

u7stthr17eud.png