As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mechwarrior Online: OLD THREAD IS OLD, GO AWAY!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    People get really mad about those ramps. I watched someone teamkill because he got blocked on the ramp by someone last night.

Then the rest of us killed him because fuck that motherfucker.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    But don't stop and stand there blocking off everyone behind you.

Especially, for the love of God, don't stop on the ramps up to the volcano catwalk on Terra Therma. One 'mech stopped in the middle of those can logjam an entire lance behind it. Just don't stop there period. There isn't room for more than two 'mechs abreast on them. Sack up, spread out onto the catwalk, and make a firing line.

TT is the one map I try to make sure there are big heavies in front of me. Because pub Atlas think they are completely immortal and will walk forward being shot so my little GB or Hunchback and sneak and and start clean up.

But god I have died on those ramps from indecisive teammates so many times.

I don't know which is more discouraging, getting picked off one by one on the ramp because your are stuck in a traffic jam...

...or when you're at the front and you're like "GUYS FOLLOW ME!" and run out onto the catwalks and start getting wtfpwned by 4-5 enemy 'mechs on the other side and then you're like "OMG what happened to the entire lance of 'mechs that were right behind me?" and then you look at your radar and they're all still clustered together back on the ramp and you're like "lol OK" and then you're dead.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    altmann wrote: »
    I only try to crest ridges if I'm : A. in an atlas with full support. or B. In a mech going 100+ and already making a 180 degree turn to just barely scope what's on the other side.

I have no problem with module cost. They are, according to PGI, the "endgame". They work on every mech and you just have to pay once for the use on every mech (UI swapping considerations aside) so the 2-3mil cost isn't so bad.

Except when they add that mode where you bring 4 fully kitted mechs, which means you need to spend ~60 million cbills to have a full module kit on every mech. Goofy. I could maybe understand paying once to unlock the module and then you can get as many copies of it to add to your mechs as you want, but as it stands eeeehhhhhh goofy.

At the rate at which new features are planned to be added, and given PGI's track record, that new mode is so far out we'll all have bought every mech variant and modules for each by the time the mode is added in.

To be serious, though, the modules are not be-all-end-all gear. They're nice, but they're not necessary. Seismic is still about the only one that I'd consider a must-have because it does something unique (reveals enemy positions with little cost/risk), but you can be totally effective on a team without it. And the fact that, at the moment, you don't need more than one of any given module makes them totally reasonable to me.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Also when going over that ridge either push or pull back. Don't stop. I have seen many mechs explode from being indecisive of pushing or backing off. If you want to push then push. If you don't then don't. But don't stop and stand there blocking off everyone behind you.

Also on TOG's stuff on piloting mediums. I agree. But I actually learned a lot of my survivability skills piloting commandos. I didn't have the jenner speed or the spider hitbox to save me. I had to learn to move around and flank to survive.

Mediums require a lot more thought. And playing my Golden Boy requires a lot more because of the chest plate being a magnet that even PGI admits is too big. But once you have good games and you start transferring that play style to like Cataphract or Jaeger you really start doing good damage and it starts feeling easy. My Ilyas is a piece of cake compared to my Golden Boy, 4SP or my Commandos. Especially my 1D because it doesn't even get an ecm bubble to save it.

I agree. When not playing roving capper with my Raven, I sometimes hunt lights, but I find I have more of an impact if I can tie up one or two medium or heavy mechs for a few minutes. While i can down a single mech (esp. something like a Dragon or an LRM boat), I tend to wade into multiple mechs and end up getting dropped. The goal is to sell myself dearly enough that it means my teammates win whatever pitched battle is going on.

That's left me with a 1.8 w:l ratio, but a .82 kdr ratio. Totes worth it!

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    So as we are just a month away from launch and a few pages away from a new thread, I was thinking the OP was due for another overhaul and rewrite. Does anyone have anything they'd like to see added to it?

a FAQ is "What mech should I start with" and I think most of us agreed it was a hunchback, or at least, a medium mech that is not the cicada or blackjack.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular

Especially, for the love of God, don't stop on the ramps up to the volcano catwalk on Terra Therma. One 'mech stopped in the middle of those can logjam an entire lance behind it. Just don't stop there period. There isn't room for more than two 'mechs abreast on them. Sack up, spread out onto the catwalk, and make a firing line.

TT is the one map I try to make sure there are big heavies in front of me. Because pub Atlas think they are completely immortal and will walk forward being shot so my little GB or Hunchback and sneak and and start clean up.

I don't know which is more discouraging, getting picked off one by one on the ramp because your are stuck in a traffic jam...

...or when you're at the front and you're like "GUYS FOLLOW ME!" and run out onto the catwalks and start getting wtfpwned by 4-5 enemy 'mechs on the other side and then you're like "OMG what happened to the entire lance of 'mechs that were right behind me?" and then you look at your radar and they're all still clustered together back on the ramp and you're like "lol OK" and then you're dead.

Exactly - it's possible to lose a match due to being overly aggressive, but indecision will kill you 100% of the time. The stupid snipe + undercommit thing pubbies do makes them very vulnerable. i feel like we don't exploit that enough sometimes.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Oh for the new OP also put in the heat graphs that Petra made. I think that might be the best idea. Also links to both Outreach and Oosik labs? I like both. Unless we are choosing one over the other now.

Also a link to the official calls for targets. Though sometimes what we call them on vent is hilarious even if it is not correct.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    kaliyama wrote: »

Exactly - it's possible to lose a match due to being overly aggressive, but indecision will kill you 100% of the time. The stupid snipe + undercommit thing pubbies do makes them very vulnerable. i feel like we don't exploit that enough sometimes.

This bothers me more than anything about pubbies. They start to go, I go with them, we make good progress and really mess up the enemy, and then my allies leave.

wat

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular

This bothers me more than anything about pubbies. They start to go, I go with them, we make good progress and really mess up the enemy, and then my allies leave.

wat

They saw something shiny....somewhere.

Oooh, shiny.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I suggest a screenshot of a dragon

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular

wat

My K/D ration has improved since I stopped leading charges (not that I care about stats as much, but I have similar experiences). I used to pilot heavies and assaults, and would look at the six pubbies around me, and think, "ok let's push..."

...two minutes later I'm dying as I'm being gunned down by the entire enemy lance, and when I look around all my pubbie compatriots ran away and are now heading for god knows where. Since I've changed my playstyle to being more patient, waiting for the pubbies to go first and using fast striker-style mechs, I manage to rack up more kills before I die. Of course, the irony of this is that now I'm part of the problem, and some newb Atlas is sacrificing himself for my pew pew fun times.

The circle of life...

My preferred playstyle is still grouping with Oosiks, and charging the enemy in mass while utterly annihilating the other team. Brawling is so much fun to me, but it's difficult at times to get that experience in a pug.

Literally the worst thing to me is when your entire pug team are PPC snipers, and they stand on a ridge for ten minutes not hitting anything. Seriously, if you are going to snipe, at least know how to aim...

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Literally the worst thing to me is when your entire pug team are PPC snipers, and they stand on a ridge for ten minutes not hitting anything. Seriously, if you are going to snipe, at least know how to aim...

B-b-b-but...PPCs and gauss rifles aren't hitscan weapons! Aiming is, like, haaaaaard!

And on the topic of why pubbies scatter: they see a Spider or Jenner running around and they MUST catch it (even if it means they just exposed their backs to the other 8-10 assaults/heavies that are loaded down with AC/20s, PPCs, and gauss rifles).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    altmann wrote: »
    My default modules are always Seismic and Cap accelerator...

@altman always makes me go so fast... <.< >.>

capsaicin_zps254b275f.png
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular

I will quite out of a match if a 5 minute sniping standoff happens and just launch a new one.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    modules are so expensive, even if I unlock seismic I'll never want to actually buy it

and yeah, the advice about being patient is the best. I got killed a whole bunch early on just because it's like 'hmm, nothing's happening, maybe I'll pop around that corner and see what's up with the other team." Especially with so many people running sniper builds all the time.

When you get those situations where the whole team is stuck at a chokepoint waiting to go through it's usually because the whole enemy team is on the other side of it, which means it's time to walk around and flank them.

ed: also, how do air and artillery strikes work? I don't think I've ever seen anybody actually use one

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ed: also, how do air and artillery strikes work?

Poorly.
    I don't think I've ever seen anybody actually use one

See above.

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    So the other night I had about 30 minutes before I had to go to dinner. I booted up MWO and launched into a game.

I launched into an Oosik premade lance as the 4th member of said lance just out of complete randomness!

That is actually the SECOND time that has happened to me. I guess when I don't go into vent I get put into some kind of atonement queue of shame.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    how do air and artillery strikes work? I don't think I've ever seen anybody actually use one

If you have one, you hit the deploy button (no idea what that is) and it'll drop the air/arty strike on whatever your reticle is pointing at (thus, you need LOS). Then a puff of colored smoke will appear and the enemy will proceed to basically ignore it because it does butts for damage.

• Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    Back on the Heavy Metal. I bought it because I was bored and it looked interesting. I couldn't for the life of me find a build I like, but I did find one that is decent. (no access to builder so...)

Heavy Metal - 300xl, DHS, AMS (1t), 2x LLas, 2x MG (1T), 2x LRM15s (5T), 5JJ

Or something like that. It's not super duper, but it also isn't horrible. I really wanted to mount 3x LLas on the arm, but the heat penalty is quite a lot more than expected.

The Highlander is damned slow. Slower than expected. It is pretty resilient though. It also looks sweet with the Oosik parade colors (white base and blue and orange stripes).

• Options
    This game needs something like aircraft or artillery deployed mines. Detectable by vision (up close) or further away with BAP. Could be used to deny areas of movement. Limit of 1 in play at a time per team.

Also I'd love to see air strikes work like cluster munitions or the artillery have air-burst munitions.

• Options
    Thunder LRMs would be interesting.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    ....as for machine guns being OP...running 6 machine guns and two PPCs is fun as hell...but not especially effective. I mean it works OK but ti's limited range makes it pretty meh and even inside close range it's just ok.

• Options

Wuz dat?

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    So hey what is the deal with delivering the Oosik stuff to the PGI folks at PAX? I feel like we should do it all at once together and then invite them out to our sunday night Oosik shindig :P

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Capsaicin wrote: »

Wuz dat?

They're LRMs that deliver anti-everything minefields that do damage equal to the missile type when the missile bursts over the target area.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options

Wuz dat?

Alternate munition type for LRMs in the tabletop which deploy a minefield into the hex they're fired at. LRM5's deploy a minefield that does 5 points of damage, LRM10's deploy a minefield that does 10 damage, etc.

And then there's actually a whole bunch of alternate Thunder mine types.

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    This game needs something like aircraft or artillery deployed mines. Detectable by vision (up close) or further away with BAP. Could be used to deny areas of movement. Limit of 1 in play at a time per team.

Also I'd love to see air strikes work like cluster munitions or the artillery have air-burst munitions.

As long as it isn't the aerotech rules. If you have ever tried to play with air units in battletech, they completely wreck the game. Extremely fast travel and decent damage. Landing a hit on one from a mech was pretty rare in our sessions. Nearly as bad as trying to play vehicles in a 'mech match. Six sided die for vehicle damage result, five of which are vehicle is destroyed.

I think Long Tom or ArrowIV artillery will be a mess if they add them.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Thunderbolt missiles, on the other hand, would be bad. Either useless due to AMS coverage, or terrible for balance because LOL lockon AC/20.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    So figured I would play one game with my Murdermet before I get back to editing this paper. Well, it went well. New record on damage. And even kind of had the wrong build going because I forgot to swap down to my 280xl from the 300xl I was running with the machine gun build. So I was down a medium laser.

Kills included a run by on a catapult and taking on a fresh laser boat stalker, taking him apart piece by piece in the tunnel and killing him. Died to a lucky hit on a side torso from the last man alive after I stripped his ct armor.

ScreenShot0011_zps293045ff.jpg

ScreenShot0012_zps0a02111b.jpg

edit: This game was proof of not being a coward wins matches. A cent and a highlander were sitting playing swap the shot with the k2 and stalker in the tunnel. Also I saw most of their team coming out on the end near our base. So I said fuck it, charged in and proceeded to clean up. Because fuck standing around.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

B-b-b-but...PPCs and gauss rifles aren't hitscan weapons! Aiming is, like, haaaaaard!

And on the topic of why pubbies scatter: they see a Spider or Jenner running around and they MUST catch it (even if it means they just exposed their backs to the other 8-10 assaults/heavies that are loaded down with AC/20s, PPCs, and gauss rifles).

Hah that's true. Half the time it's like three slow ass Atlases chasing that Spider as well. By the time they get to where they think he is, two of them are dead from backshots, and the third is standing around confused not realizing that the Spider is already at the opposite side of the map capping base.

Wuz dat?

Alternate munition type for LRMs in the tabletop which deploy a minefield into the hex they're fired at. LRM5's deploy a minefield that does 5 points of damage, LRM10's deploy a minefield that does 10 damage, etc.

And then there's actually a whole bunch of alternate Thunder mine types.

So a weapon that would funnel movement and possible wrech people who underarmor their legs (that's me)? That would be cool. A little more likely then Aerotech, but not very though. :(

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    Back on the Heavy Metal. I bought it because I was bored and it looked interesting. I couldn't for the life of me find a build I like, but I did find one that is decent. (no access to builder so...)

Heavy Metal - 300xl, DHS, AMS (1t), 2x LLas, 2x MG (1T), 2x LRM15s (5T), 5JJ

Or something like that. It's not super duper, but it also isn't horrible. I really wanted to mount 3x LLas on the arm, but the heat penalty is quite a lot more than expected.

The Highlander is damned slow. Slower than expected. It is pretty resilient though. It also looks sweet with the Oosik parade colors (white base and blue and orange stripes).

The build I've been using with moderate success ("moderate" meaning having the highest k/d outside of my Jenner stable):

280xl, 3xLLAS, 1xGauss+3t, 2xSRM4+A with 2 tons ammo, AMS+1t, 2JJ, 13 total DHS.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    So, here's what I ended up running on Friday night for Operation Lead Poisoning.

Lead Oxide [ILYA_MUROMETS]: 3xMG, AMS, 2xLPLS, ERPPC, 300XL, DHS, Endo

It was ... very, very effective, running around with TOG and kilnborn and ... I started with a 280XL in there (left over from my Kablamaphract practice), and after a match or two remembered that I had a 300 from Sara's Jenner. I think the eventual goal is upgrade the engine to something beefier; not sure if I should go to the 340 or the 330 plus an extra heatsink.

EDIT: 330, not 325.

EDIT2: Reading the above, it makes it sound like I remembered, all on my own, that I had a spare 300 to toss in. Let it be stated, for the record, that I was prompted to move it over from my Dragon because the three Jagermechs I was following around kept leaving me in the dust, and ... I think TOG started it by saying, "Don't you have a spare anything faster?"" :D Fights were much more fun when I showed up before they were over.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular

I know people have a generally low opinion of ER large lasers, but I swapped the two PPCs I had on my K2 for ER larges and I feel a lot more effective (now running 2xLLA 2xERLLA.) It's probably just that I'm bad with PPCs, but something about the minor travel time on them just drives me insane.

I'm still kinda fussing with my ilya build; maybe I should get three UACs and try the UAC/MLA thing, but I didn't like it that much when I was just using regular AC5s.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Syngyne wrote: »

Thunderbolt missiles, on the other hand, would be bad. Either useless due to AMS coverage, or terrible for balance because LOL lockon AC/20.

On the other OTHER hand, Long Tom Cannons would be god damn hilarious.

"Alright you hill humping assholes, let's see you dodge THIS!"

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options

I'll be honest here: as infuriating as it would be to be on the receiving end of it, I still think weapon knockdown/knockback effects would be hilarious and hilariously amazing. Long Tom Cannons and Thunderbolt missiles knocking hill-camping PPC snipers off their perch, LB10X and AC20s knocking lights off the central platform on Terra Therma...

...just thinking about it, I would love to have a Unreal Tournament style mutator for low-gravity/enhanced-ragdoll. Where anything that deals high enough damage compared to the target mech's weight will send the target mech flying (ex. have a 35-ton mech and just took 40 points of damage to your CT? You just got sent ragdolling 150-200 meters or so). Could even make a mini-game with such a mechanic: Spider Fieldgoal Football (though, soon to be supplanted by Locust Futbol).

• Options
    edited August 2013

I'll be honest here: as infuriating as it would be to be on the receiving end of it, I still think weapon knockdown/knockback effects would be hilarious and hilariously amazing. Long Tom Cannons and Thunderbolt missiles knocking hill-camping PPC snipers off their perch, LB10X and AC20s knocking lights off the central platform on Terra Therma...

...just thinking about it, I would love to have a Unreal Tournament style mutator for low-gravity/enhanced-ragdoll. Where anything that deals high enough damage compared to the target mech's weight will send the target mech flying (ex. have a 35-ton mech and just took 40 points of damage to your CT? You just got sent ragdolling 150-200 meters or so). Could even make a mini-game with such a mechanic: Spider Fieldgoal Football (though, soon to be supplanted by Locust Futbol).

ufNQa4g.jpg
    I should probably be designing a new OP instead of dicking off in Photoshop. :oops:

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    @TOGSolid, you almost cost me two things that are incredibly dear to me: 1) my ViewSonic 3D monitor, and 2) my mouthful of vanilla chai tea.

• Options
    I present to you, the power of the Triple Nipple(tm)

TheAwesomeTripleNipple_zpsd24e8f2d.png

• Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    Trip nip is back?

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    what are the most popular jaeger variants? I see a lot of JM-DDs running around

NREqxl5.jpg