As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Moment's Silence for [The Death of Games For Windows Live]

SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
edited August 2013 in Games and Technology
Let us take a moment to mourn the passing of a service few liked, and nobody wanted. A service that filled some with dread at the mere mention of its name, and elicited sighs from those anticipating titles confirmed to have it.

I am, of course, referring to:
gamesforwinlive.jpg

Yes, Games for Windows Live is going the way of the dodo in August 2014. The G4WL Marketplace will close in August 2013.

The casualty list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Games_for_Windows_–_Live_titles

But it's not all doom and gloom:
Titles confirmed to have patches incoming that will remove the G4WL integration from them:
Street Fighter IV
Dark Souls patch news faked, probably dead
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Bioshock 2

Let's discuss this service, the games which will be affected by its closure, and how Microsoft may proceed in future after this move.

And to, obviously, give this service its proper send-off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQLQ1Rc_Js

Suriko on

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    How is Gears of War not on that list? Is it already dead?

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Dawn of War 2 should be on there as well.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    This is from gaf:
    Papytendo wrote:
    Hey y'all, let's work on another list.

This is a list of all of the GFWL games, given a marking of either:
    Code:

(Defunct) - the dev and or publisher is defunct
    (Fate Unknown) - no word given on what will happen to the game
    (Full Workaround) - if there is a workaround where the game can fully function without GFWL
    (Half Workaround) - there is a workaround where the game can work in single player without GFWL
    (In patching) - the dev has been confirmed to be working on patching out GFWL
    (Nothing) - the dev or publisher confirmed they are doing nothing to patch out the GFWL even if no workarounds exist, let's hope we don't have to use this one
    (Patched out) -GFWL has been successfully patched out by the dev
    (Suspicion of patching) - the dev has been rumored/evidence points to GFWL being patched out.

List of GFWL games:
    Ace Combat: Assault Horizon – Enhanced Edition
    AFL Live
    Age of Empires Online (Nothing)
    Batman: Arkham Asylum (Suspicion of patching)
    Batman: Arkham Asylum – Game of the Year Edition (Suspicion of patching)
    Batman: Arkham City (Suspicion of patching)
    Battle vs. Chess
    Battlestations: Pacific
    BioShock 2 (Suspicion of patching)
    Blacklight: Tango Down
    BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
    Bulletstorm
    CarneyVale: Showtime
    Crash Time 4: The Syndicate
    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
    Dark Void
    Dead Rising 2
    Dead Rising 2: Off the Record
    DiRT 2
    Dirt 3
    F1 2010
    F1 2011
    Fable III
    Fallout 3 (Full Workaround)
    FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage
    FUEL
    Gears of War for Windows
    Gotham City Impostors (Patched out)
    Grand Theft Auto IV (Half Workaround)
    Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City (Half Workaround)
    Halo 2 for Windows Vista
    Hour of Victory
    Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet (In patching)
    Iron Brigade
    Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights
    Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
    Legend of the Galactic Heroes
    Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies Edition
    Lost Planet 2
    Mahjong Wisdom
    Microsoft Flight
    Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection
    Ms. Splosion Man
    Operation Flashpoint: Red River
    Osmos
    Quantum of Solace
    Red Faction: Guerrilla (Defunct)
    Resident Evil 5
    Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
    Rugby League Live
    Section 8 (Defunct)
    Section 8: Prejudice (Defunct)
    Shadowrun
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars – Republic Heroes
    Stormrise
    Street Fighter IV
    Street Fighter X Tekken
    Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
    Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends
    The Club
    Tinker
    Toy Soldiers (Full Workaround)
    Tron: Evolution
    Universe at War: Earth Assault
    Vancouver 2010
    Virtua Tennis 4
    Viva Piñata for Windows
    Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II
    Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II – Chaos Rising
    Where’s Waldo? The Fantastic Journey
    World of Goo
    As obvious, help would be appreciated.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    My reaction can be summed up in two words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

steam_sig.png
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    If I can't play Bulletstorm again I'm going to be pissed.

And then probably buy one of the console versions or something.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    welp, bye, stupid thing

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Let this serve as a warning for those of us who put our trust in Valve.

I have too many games on that list. Sad to know that, even though I don't play them regularly any more, I won't have the option ever again in the future.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013

I have too many games on that list. Sad to know that, even though I don't play them regularly any more, I won't have the option ever again in the future.

The difference is that Valve actually gives a fuck. They have cultivated, managed, and most importantly supported and updated Steam all during its lifetime. In contrast, Microsoft hasn't given a fuck about GfWL and hasn't updated the platform in years. Oh but no, they still wanted to use it even if they don't care -- they compelled Double Fine to integrate GfWL into Iron Brigade, and when it turns out a fairly nasty bug (the "scrap stutter" issue) stemming between the interaction between the game and GfWL came to light, they refused assistance when Double Fine asked for help resolving it. Zero. Goddamn. Fucks. Given.

Not blindly trusting Valve is sane advice, but let's not even pretend Steam is anywhere near the same league as GfWL.

Zxerol on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I guess I shouldn't have bought Dawn of War II off Steam yesterday. Of course, I can't run it anyway until I follow the 18-step instructions I found to get Games for Windows Live to play well with my Windows 8 laptop.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Can we seriously not turn this into the "OH MY GOD DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION DOOM" thread? The list of differences between Valve's operation of Steam and MS' operation of GFWL is a mile long and the merits of one over the other are as clear as freshly baked bread vs. moldy bread. So stop this now, I implore everyone.

*ahem*

So this is kinda weird, I thought that MS would be trying to do some sort of "merge with the Windows 8 super-hive-mind" thing they've been doing with all their platforms / services lately. What's replacing GFWL, function-wise? I know the Windows 8 store is replacing the marketplace but what about all the other, uh, stuff?

Also kudos to devs immediately jumping up to patch the thing out before it goes unaddressed and just breaks a bunch of games.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It stuns me that Microsoft couldn't do better than GFWL. PC and console cross-play could have had potential, and they COULD have given Steam a bit of competition.

But no, we got this.

YL9WnCY.png
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Revenge of the Brodeo

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    So where do I sign up to do security for the funeral?

Because when I dance on GFWL's grave, I want to make sure the body's actually there.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I don't believe that's possible, @Henroid. If I didn't start it, you know someone else would have.

As I posted in the Industry thread, the things that Microsoft does are counter to what they should be doing. The things they should stick with and refine are the things they abandon, and the things they don't abandon are the things they should.
    If they would have actually given two shits for GfWL, it would be completely different. But, as Zxerol said, they haven't patched it in years. Again with the if's, but if they would have devoted resources to it, they could have made it a decent competitor to Steam. Shown EA and everyone else how to do it. But no, we get the drudgery that is GfWL.
    I believe at one point they mentioned how they wanted it to be their PC counterpart to XBox Live. But while they did things (add ads) to XBL, they didn't follow through with anything on the PC at all.

I know I won't shed any tears or have any moments of silence for it. I just mourn the loss of some great games I own.

I bought Viva Pinata when it was on sale for like $1 a couple of years ago. I think I have all of 15 minutes in there because I had to quit, and the GfWL program and interface were just so awful.

Let's not forget it eating saves. And not recognizing CD Keys. Or DLC which was bought through Steam. Or general awfulness all around.

I can see Ubisoft's awful client following the same road, to be honest. It really reminds me of GfWL.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    So where do I sign up to do security for the funeral?

Because when I dance on GFWL's grave, I want to make sure the body's actually there.

In a world of digital distribution there is no body.

<woo spooky ghost sounds here>

• RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    *slow clap*

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    It's a relief to hear of the patches--this isn't the first DD service to die (though most of those earlier ones were more strictly multiplayer systems, I think?) and I don't think it'll be the last (not Steam, but Ubisoft seems to be doing poorly too). Personally I'm not a fan of digital distribution platforms that go beyond 'Download this installer', so I won't miss this either.

I guess now to hope Origin isn't as bad as people are making it out to be this many years after its introduction.

EDIT: I wonder if this has to do with Windows 8 and it's game ecosystem (and not having enough people to go around for PC). We knew it wasn't intended to coexist with GfWL, and it would have been great if they'd moved the games over to the other, but that's a missed opportunity I guess. Getting to download RE5 PC off the Store onto my Surface Pro would have been a nice way to expand my library, but it's steered towards at smaller, iTunes Store-style games.

Synthesis on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Let this be an important lesson for anyone who puts faith in Microsofts online services: It's not paranoia when it actually happens.

As for GfWL good fucking riddance. This disaster of a service pretty much locked me out of playing multiplayer on anything that used it, including Dawn of War 2 which I just had to give up on eventually.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Have we gotten actual confirmation that GFWL games can't be played or downloaded after August 2014 that some seem to be saying? I was under the impression that we could expect the online portions of that going kaput, but not totally unplayable.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I'll lay a rose on your grave every year

every five years

I'll think of you

I won't

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    It's nice that they're patching it out, but shouldn't the store shutting down still allow other parts of the service to remain online?
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    It stuns me that Microsoft couldn't do better than GFWL. PC and console cross-play could have had potential, and they COULD have given Steam a bit of competition.

But no, we got this.

It might have helped if the first game with that feature wasn't a shooter. And then another shooter and an RTS. There was eventually a game with cross-platform multiplayer in a genre where PC doesn't have a huge advantage, Blazblue. It's just that it was released for PC shortly before the sequel came out for consoles.

EDIT: Oh right, because the store is closing in a few days and the whole service next year.

I hope Capcom updates more titles than just Street Fighter 4. Like Resident Evil 5.

Peewi on
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Hallelujah

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I didn't even realise that GFWL was a digital distribution platform until the rumours about it shutting down started recently.

I genuinely thought it was just a shitty form of DRM, because that's been my sole experience with it.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I was one of the lucky ones who never had any major issues with GFWL, but I fully understood why people hated it. There was one thing, though...

For some games, like Arkham Asylum and Viva Pinata, the save files created by the game were completely unusable unless you copied the GFWL profile as well. That was an unpleasant discovery after spending a weekend playing AA on a different PC, coming home and copying my save over and finding it didn't work.

I guess I'd better play through Bulletstorm soon.

Hopefully games like Dawn of War II and Iron Brigade get patches.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Hey remember when Microsoft said that the Cloud is not going anywhere and that those servers will be up indefinitely?

Yeah things like this make me call bullshit on that.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    :whistle: Let's celebrate good times, c'mon! :whistle:

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I'm one of the people who had a billion kinds of trouble with GFWL
    But I'm really worried about this shut down just KILLING my games.

At least there's still an year for patches and workarounds to be developed... I hope games like Guerrilla get some sort of fix.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I doubt there'll be many games that don't have workarounds up. I'm waiting for the GTA one so I can finally playing Tales From Liberty City. Good riddance to GFWL, one of the only things that was actually as bad as the games community said it was.

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    If I lose my Dark Souls characters because of this I WILL MURDER A THOUSAND TISSUES WITH WEEPING.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Dark Souls is less likely to be affected that way than a lot of games, because saves are already stored locally and you can already play offline. The problem is that you probably won't be able to reinstall it unless it's patched. When I bought it during its first sale on Steam they ran out of GFWL keys and I couldn't boot it up until the next Monday.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited August 2013

But no, we got this.

It was MS being afraid of tablets that caused the jump to the Windows 8 store.

Anyone here remember when they got rid of Ensemble Studios?

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    It shall die as it lived: terrible and unloved.

Fitting that it would screw people over one last time through the games that won't get patched, though.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Henroid wrote: »

Can we seriously not turn this into the "OH MY GOD DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION DOOM" thread? The list of differences between Valve's operation of Steam and MS' operation of GFWL is a mile long and the merits of one over the other are as clear as freshly baked bread vs. moldy bread. So stop this now, I implore everyone.

Valve has said multiple times when asked that if their service was ever to be shut down they would release software that would allow people to play their games without having to authorize with Steam's servers.

Plus, Valve is the 800lb Gorilla in the PC digital distro space that has been pioneering new ways to get games from them to you for a decade, Microsoft was a company that saw some profit potential and tried to jump in to a market they had very little experience in with a half baked product. If anyone is worried about Valve (a three billion dollar company) shutting down the biggest moneymaker in PC gaming history my advice is to not worry.
    Please don't dig this post up eight years from now when they go bankrupt

But no, we got this.

Cross platform play was the only reason I was kinda excited for GFWL, being able to play multiplayer games between console and PC players was something you could do (and for Quake III and 4x4 Evolution, can still do) on the Dreamcast, so it was nice to see its return. Instead it ended up being like four games and precisely zero people really gave a shit.

SmokeStacks on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    I've got Fallout 3 on my Steam account but haven't had time to play it yet.

I assume Bethesda is cool and will take care of whatever issues may arise for me, or that there are easily implemented workarounds that I can do myself?

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    If the Valve Headquarters get teleported to another dimension TOMORROW, thanks to a cascade resonance, I'd be able to download cracks for most, if not all my games. I'd lose MP and achievements and that shit, but most games would run. Not to mention the Offline mode.

GFWL is much worse, in many cases they encrypt saves and then tie it to stupid profiles that are hard to backup and restore. Plus it HAS to check the cdkey all the time. Offiline mode in GFWL means NO saves and NO DLC.

It's a huge, immense practical difference.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    The chances of Valve going under in the next ten years are vastly lower than my chances of losing a game disk in the same time frame are.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    GFWL being inferior to Steam was understandable when it launched. Everybody hated Steam when it launched too. It would have taken a lot of work to catch up though, and Microsoft just left it to die pretty much from the beginning. And they just kept accumulating customer ire by continuing to put games on this service that never stopped being terrible.