As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mechwarrior Online: OLD THREAD IS OLD, GO AWAY!

1929394959698»

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I'm not a big fan of the DD, I don't see a lot of uses for 6 ballistic slots. I like the firebrand, but I like max speed on stuff.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I run 6mg and 2 LLAS with a standard engine on the DD, and firebrand with 2 erppc and 4 MLAS with standard engine (just remember to chainfire the MLAS). I routinely top damage charts with the firebrand, and the DD is just plain DAKKA DAKKA fun.

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    But don't stop and stand there blocking off everyone behind you.

Especially, for the love of God, don't stop on the ramps up to the volcano catwalk on Terra Therma. One 'mech stopped in the middle of those can logjam an entire lance behind it. Just don't stop there period. There isn't room for more than two 'mechs abreast on them. Sack up, spread out onto the catwalk, and make a firing line.

Yeah, I've seen shitloads of fights go belly-up because of idiots standing in chokepoints. Stand in a chokepoint and you and the guy beside you are going to get butchered by the massed fire of the enemy team; move through the choke point and the enemy team now has a multitude of targets to contend with, plus you can now step back into the crowd and not get destroyed.

Something people also really fail to grasp is that fights play out sort of like Napoleonic warfare. Don't stay up in the front/in the middle of the fight if you're redlining; dump your fire, back out of the fight, cool down, move back in, fire again, and so on. You end up with much, much more effective massed fire because you aren't popping off an MLAS or two to try and stay operational, and you aren't getting shredded by excessive damage. Always let the ranks behind you move up and through you for clear shots while you cool off, then support them with your renewed damage potential. It's a whole lot better to simply let a kill go to somebody else and retreat than push for the kill with a couple MLASes and die a couple seconds after your "victory"; pull back a bit, and you'll be able to survive long enough to dump alphas into the crippled targets that the fresh wave creates. Preserving firepower is just as important as destroying enemy firepower.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the issue there is that a lot of the time the guy at the top of the ramp isn't an atlas or an assault or even a heavy; it's some medium who got there because he's a bit faster than everybody else and thinks his hunchback should be the first guy through the gap... until he realizes a stalker or something is pointed at him.

What I do now on heavies is find an atlas or another assault mech and just wingman him at the the 7 or 8 oclock position. He'll get hit a bit and stop or back up and then I can wheel and get a side/rear angle. ECM atlases are the best.
    I run 6mg and 2 LLAS with a standard engine on the DD, and firebrand with 2 erppc and 4 MLAS with standard engine (just remember to chainfire the MLAS). I routinely top damage charts with the firebrand, and the DD is just plain DAKKA DAKKA fun.

I kinda want to get a firebrand but I might wait till it goes on sale, since I wanna have some funbux left over. How often does stuff go on sale?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I kinda want to get a firebrand but I might wait till it goes on sale, since I wanna have some funbux left over. How often does stuff go on sale?

Premium 'mechs? Extremely rarely.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

Premium 'mechs? Extremely rarely.

Premium mechs go on sale often, it's just a matter of it being the mech you hope it is

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I was looking at the site announcements and didn't see a jaeger/firebrand sale recently, so I guess there's hope it might be sometimes soonish

are there regular mech sales like, every couple weekends? It seems like that's been their schedule over the summer

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    The Atlas D-DC needs to lose its ECM like yesterday.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular

Actually now that we've got all those other assaults with their jumpjets and higher speeds, I think it gives the D-DC a unique role to fill.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »

Actually now that we've got all those other assaults with their jumpjets and higher speeds, I think it gives the D-DC a unique role to fill.
    That role being "the best Atlas". It totally obviates all the other variants.

• Options
    edited August 2013

It's unique role is being hands-down the single best assault 'mech in the game.

It can fit the most powerful loadouts on the most powerful chassis. The RS rose to prominence for a while because it could load 4xPPC's but now that PPC boating's been nerfed the D-DC is king of the hill again, by a wide margin. It doesn't need to be able to hide itself and its teammates too. It takes away from the role of ECM equipped lighter 'mechs, and if they ever introduce another assault with ECM that 'mech will have a tough time finding a niche.

AND the D-DC has more module slots on top of everything else. An extra module slot would have been fair compensation for the perpetually non-functional command console if that was their rationale for giving it perks, the ECM is just ridiculous.

1-2 D-DC's on a team is completely unbalancing if there aren't counterpart D-DC's on the opposition. Even D-DC's on one team and other Atlas variants on the other team is badly unbalanced.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular

That role being "the best Atlas". It totally obviates all the other variants.

Even without the ECM It'd still be the best, with the RS as a debatable second.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I was looking at the site announcements and didn't see a jaeger/firebrand sale recently, so I guess there's hope it might be sometimes soonish

are there regular mech sales like, every couple weekends? It seems like that's been their schedule over the summer

Firebrand is a good mech, but I like both speed and lasers....so am a bit biased towards it's loadout not not necessarily it's effectiveness. I like running ti with a maxed out engine because at 95, w/speedtweak you can frequently catch up to scouts battling a couple other scouts and turn the battle in their favor. I run my Hunchbacks the same way.

After they add in weight matching, using a heavy in this way may not be as great.....have to wait and see.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    I could also just use the one that has 4B/4E fits I suppose, that seems like it would be almost as good as a laserbrawler.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular

It's unique role is being hands-down the single best assault 'mech in the game.

It can fit the most powerful loadouts on the most powerful chassis. The RS rose to prominence for a while because it could load 4xPPC's but now that PPC boating's been nerfed the D-DC is king of the hill again, by a wide margin. It doesn't need to be able to hide itself and its teammates too. It takes away from the role of ECM equipped lighter 'mechs, and if they ever introduce another assault with ECM that 'mech will have a tough time finding a niche.

AND the D-DC has more module slots on top of everything else. An extra module slot would have been fair compensation for the perpetually non-functional command console if that was their rationale for giving it perks, the ECM is just ridiculous.

1-2 D-DC's on a team is completely unbalancing if there aren't counterpart D-DC's on the opposition. Even D-DC's on one team and other Atlas variants on the other team is badly unbalanced.

Speaking of perpetually non-functional command consoles, has PGI ever even stated a vision for what that thing was supposed to do?

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Alright you primitive screwheads, get your ass in here!
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/182094/mechwarrior-online-the-new-mechwarrior-online-thread-now-with-a-shiny-new-op?new=1

NEW THREAD IS NOW LIVE

Also, please offer up any constructive criticism on the new OP you may have!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    it is butts.