As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV: ARR] Old Thread. Use the New Thread!

• Options
    Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    Can you change how your retainer looks? Also you can only have two of them? What happens if you picked two in the same city, does it matter?

• Options
    MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular
    Tridus1x wrote: »
    Can you change how your retainer looks? Also you can only have two of them? What happens if you picked two in the same city, does it matter?

Yes, you can have two. No it shouldn't matter.

League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Miniwolf wrote: »
    Tridus1x wrote: »

Yes, you can have two. No it shouldn't matter.

Wait, shouldn't it matter? Like, retainers only sell stuff in one town. And I remember a friend saying that they continued selling stuff in Gridania even though he summoned him in Limsa.

I mean, that's not a big deal, but still.

• Options
    KoldanarKoldanar Registered User regular
    I managed to get their account system to accept my pre-order code, but no email. It shows FF14 as registered in my account, but I'm not sure if that actually means I get EA right now, or I have to hope for Square-enix to email me the supposed 20 digit key for the game proper.

Ugh.

3DS friend code : 1375 - 7258 - 4504
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Same here. It keeps saying, "There was a problem," but the game itself show up as registered in my account. No follow-up email, though.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I think the FFXIV service that is showing up in game accounts is for the open beta period. I didn't think to check before I tried entering my code, but it gave me an error when I did try to enter it so I don't think it worked.

Also I haven't gotten the e-mail from Square saying it is time to signup for early access, just the one from GMG with instructions. I also think I somehow have two accounts linked to the same e-mail address now, as it made me choose a nickname again and wouldn't let me pick the one I picked the first time. Accounts should not be this complicated.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I think the preorder site is getting hammered like a college student at graduation. I got errors but it added FF14 to my registered games list. I know this because it wasn't there two hours ago when I first logged on this morning and now it is.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    aQcE7UH.png

I took one for the team and tried it. this is the error message you get.

Miniwolf on
    League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Ok, so I'd like to talk about the story so far. Story spoilers contained in spoiler tag.
    I have advanced my story to the point where I am brought into the Seven Stars group or whatever it's called, and given the Wild Rose password. I thought this was a nice throwback to FF2.

I started in Ul'dah, and my major story NPC has been Thancred. I'm just curious, if I would have started in another town, would the M'qote girl have been my contact, or one of the other people?

Also, is there ever a way to see the story from the perspective of another city, or do I need to create an alt to get those story segments?

Another thing -- Minfilia's character design is absolutely fantastic. She has one of the best outfits I've seen on a Final Fantasy character. Does she become a major player in the story? I hope so, because from just the first introduction scene, she seems so awesome.

One other question -- Do all players wind up in the tavern in Thanalan as the meeting spot for this organization, or does each city have its own tavern where they meet?

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Ok, so I'd like to talk about the story so far. Story spoilers contained in spoiler tag.
    I have advanced my story to the point where I am brought into the Seven Stars group or whatever it's called, and given the Wild Rose password. I thought this was a nice throwback to FF2.

I started in Ul'dah, and my major story NPC has been Thancred. I'm just curious, if I would have started in another town, would the M'qote girl have been my contact, or one of the other people?

Also, is there ever a way to see the story from the perspective of another city, or do I need to create an alt to get those story segments?

Another thing -- Minfilia's character design is absolutely fantastic. She has one of the best outfits I've seen on a Final Fantasy character. Does she become a major player in the story? I hope so, because from just the first introduction scene, she seems so awesome.

One other question -- Do all players wind up in the tavern in Thanalan as the meeting spot for this organization, or does each city have its own tavern where they meet?
    Miqo'te Girl is the NPC in Limsa Lominsa

Need to make an Alt for that I believe

I forget who Minfilia is :( *edit* Oh her! Dunno but she does SEEM pretty important so I would think she is a major player.

Everyone ends up at that Tavern regardless of where they start, it's the main convergence point for the three stories.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular

Yes, the other characters are your contacts if you started in other towns. However, now that you've linked up, one specific one will be your liaison no matter which city you came from for whatever quest as appropriate.

You need to create an alt to get those story segments.

All players wind up in Thanalan. The next story locations are in Eastern Thanalan.

---

So, I saw posts earlier to the effect that if you have LNC30, when you unlock DRG, you'll also have DRG 30. Additionally, if you level DRG and then switch back to LNC, the xp is shared.

If so, how does this work with classes that branch like ACN?

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    re: Lucascraft's questions
    I started in Gridania, and my quests had me interacting with the Lalafell + Hyur girl with the mask (Papalymo and Yda). I also talked to Kuplo Kopp, a Moogle that seems to hang out near Gridania.

I do not think you can see the perspective from the other cities without starting a new character.

No idea about Minfilia.

After starting in Gridania, I ended up in the tavern in Thanalan to meet The Scions of the Seventh Dawn.

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    flapjackflapjack Registered User regular

Miqo'te Girl is the NPC in Limsa Lominsa

Need to make an Alt for that I believe

I forget who Minfilia is :( *edit* Oh her! Dunno but she does SEEM pretty important so I would think she is a major player.

Everyone ends up at that Tavern regardless of where they start, it's the main convergence point for the three stories.
    Out of curiosity, once you get past the convergence point is the story any different based on starting city? I'm assuming not.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »

Yes, the other characters are your contacts if you started in other towns. However, now that you've linked up, one specific one will be your liaison no matter which city you came from for whatever quest as appropriate.

All players wind up in Thanalan. The next story locations are in Eastern Thanalan.

---

So, I saw posts earlier to the effect that if you have LNC30, when you unlock DRG, you'll also have DRG 30. Additionally, if you level DRG and then switch back to LNC, the xp is shared.

Jobs do not have xp. Their level is whatever level the class you are playing is. You don't switch from LNC to DRG. You just add the DRG job. You are still a 30 LNC. Does that make sense?

• Options
    edited August 2013

---

Works the same way, both Summoner and Scholar are tied to your Arcanist level. So if your Arcanist is lvl 40 your Summoner and Scholar are lvl 40.

Remember, you need to think of Jobs more like Specialization rather than new Classes. To use WoW for an example, On a Tank when you switch between a DPS Specialization and a Tanking Specialization there is no change to you base character. The Jobs and Classes work the same way, the Jobs just augment your Base Class but the levels are all tied in on that Base Class.

Summoner is basically a DPS speced Arcanist and Scholar is a Healing speced Arcanist.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

---

Jobs do not have xp. Their level is whatever level the class you are playing is. You don't switch from LNC to DRG. You just add the DRG job. You are still a 30 LNC. Does that make sense?

So based off of that, if you play as a Summoner, you are levelling your Arcanist, which will also level your Scholar? Interesting. Also presumably you would immediately be a level 50 whatever if they added a new job to a class you already had at max level.

The jobs seem pretty powerful, you basically trade in 5 of your flexible abilities for 5 specialized abilities. I wonder if there is any reason to not play the job instead of the class if you have the job unlocked. I guess soloing as a Conjurer would be easier than soloing as a White Mage?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Doesn't Scholar require level 15 in Conj? And Summoner requires 15 in Thaum?

So if you have 30 Arcanist, you aren't either one of those things until you add the required secondary specialization of level 15?

And I'm assuming if you have both Thaum at 15 and Conj at 15, then you would automatically have both Summoner and Scholar available.

• Options
    chrisnl wrote: »

---

So based off of that, if you play as a Summoner, you are levelling your Arcanist, which will also level your Scholar? Interesting. Also presumably you would immediately be a level 50 whatever if they added a new job to a class you already had at max level.

The jobs seem pretty powerful, you basically trade in 5 of your flexible abilities for 5 specialized abilities. I wonder if there is any reason to not play the job instead of the class if you have the job unlocked. I guess soloing as a Conjurer would be easier than soloing as a White Mage?

That is their goal basically, they want you to solo and do general stuff on your Class and dungeons and more group oriented stuff on your Job.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I am holding off on preordering until I know it will work. I can totally see it happening like this: I preorder for early access, get an error entering my code, SE doesn't fix the problem until after the early access period, then says "Sorry, you're out of luck!" and I just paid $22 to not actually get early access.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    chrisnl wrote: »

---

Yes sir to the leveling part!

The only other drawback to a jobs besides losing 5 flex abilities is that the flex abilities you do get are locked into only 2 classes. Like a PLD can only take select abilities from MRD and CNJ and no other class.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Man, I really want another spec for Pugilist now. Give me a Grappler to the Monk or something, less DPS focused, let me stack leg and arm break debuffs on a mob.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Doesn't Scholar require level 15 in Conj? And Summoner requires 15 in Thaum?

So if you have 30 Arcanist, you aren't either one of those things until you add the required secondary specialization of level 15?

And I'm assuming if you have both Thaum at 15 and Conj at 15, then you would automatically have both Summoner and Scholar available.

I'm pretty sure the Jobs are locked behind a quest of some sort, you gain access to that quest when you have the requisite Classes at the appropriate levels.

So you get your Arcanist to 30, your Conjurer to 15 and then go do the quest as your Arcanist to become a Scholar. You level up to 34ish and then decide you want Summoner as well. You level up a Thaumaturge to 15 then go do the Summoner quest as your 34 Arcanist and now your Scholar and Summoner are 34.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular
    SRSBSNS question:

Does anyone think an item request / requisitioning type system for the FC would be useful? I can repurpose the Heads, Butts, and Shafts system from 1.0 to that end. Otherwise I'll finally just take it down, since there's not really any reason to keep it alive anymore.

XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I was only able to play the beta enough to get to 15 cnj. How do the out of class skillslots work? Do you just pick one and that's the one you're stuck with or can you swap them out? Per slot

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    I was only able to play the beta enough to get to 15 cnj. How do the out of class skillslots work? Do you just pick one and that's the one you're stuck with or can you swap them out? Per slot

The more you level the more slots you unlock (up to 5) you can swap them out freely with whatever abilities you desire (so long as those abilities can be used on the class you want)

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Lets send out an email telling you where to use your pre purchase key but make sure the site cant do anything yet!

*sigh*

I do have FFXIV "registered" per say, from 2010. Although I know damn well I never played the game or got into beta for 1.0.

Blood Drive on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Lets send out an email telling you where to use your pre purchase key but make sure the site cant do anything yet!

*sigh*

I do have FFXIV "registered" per say, from 2010. Although I know damn well I never played the game or got into beta for 1.0.

Did they send the email out? I didn't get one.

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Man, I really want another spec for Pugilist now. Give me a Grappler to the Monk or something, less DPS focused, let me stack leg and arm break debuffs on a mob.

I'm betting Pugilist will also get the Ninja Job at some point, but I don't know what the secondary Class for that could be. Something new, maybe?

• Options

*sigh*

Not that I've seen. The email I got from Amazon originally said there would be another email today once we were able to input the code. My guess is that the site is up but not ready yet.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular

*sigh*

I got my copy from GMG and the "enter your preorder code now" email arrived around 430 AM MST.

• Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Stupid question I'm sure but how the hell do you get a retainer? I only did up to level 16 story quest (the second dungeon) but was level 20 archer.

Also, they are the things you need to sell things on the marketplace, yes?

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Nyht wrote: »
    Stupid question I'm sure but how the hell do you get a retainer? I only did up to level 16 story quest (the second dungeon) but was level 20 archer.

Also, they are the things you need to sell things on the marketplace, yes?

You get access to retainers after you complete the three dungeons. Just keep following the story and you'll get them :)

They are indeed the thing you need to sell things in the marketplace.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »

I'm betting Pugilist will also get the Ninja Job at some point, but I don't know what the secondary Class for that could be. Something new, maybe?
    That would seem to short change THF, which isn't even in right now. THF->NIN, requiring PGL secondary would have been my guess for that.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I honestly really wish that they would've done the jobs like FFXI instead of the system they chose. It was a lot more fun unlocking a cool new job in FFXI and going back and levelling it up on its own. Now, it's like all the base jobs are there, and the jobs are more or less meaningless. All they are is a thing you equip that gets you access to like 5 abilities you wouldn't otherwise have.

It's like, the conjurer is basically just a white mage, but you don't get to be called a white mage and get your 5 extra abilities until you do the quest. It's just a weird implementation. Plus it brings up potential stat issues for the arcanist, because if you max MND to be a scholar later that's cool, but if you want to be a SMN then your stats are suboptimal.

Plus, if they add new jobs like Samurai they will have to add new level 1 class precursors that use a katana or whatever. If they ever add another job that branches off say Marauder, then if you're already a level 50 MRD then you will already have the new job at level 50, which isn't really fun IMO.

All in all, I think when they decided to remake the game they'd have been better off replacing all the base jobs with the advanced ones so you just start out as white mage, black mage, warrior, etc. and made some of the special ones advanced jobs that work just like ffxi advanced jobs, but hey, it's not my game.

The specializations analogy doesn't really work since ONLY the arcanist has 2 choices. Everybody else is just a Warrior by any other name until they unlock Warrior and become what they already were, but with a different name and a couple other abilities.

It's not something that's going to keep me from playing it, but it's a super bizarre implementation.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »

That would seem to short change THF, which isn't even in right now. THF->NIN, requiring PGL secondary would have been my guess for that.

Yeah, good point. Forgot about Thief.

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    This early access code nonsense doesn't make any sense. Why are they telling me to login with my Square Enix account instead of my FFXIV account? Those accounts aren't tied together and applying a pre-order code to an account that I dont log in with is dumb.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I honestly really wish that they would've done the jobs like FFXI instead of the system they chose. It was a lot more fun unlocking a cool new job in FFXI and going back and levelling it up on its own. Now, it's like all the base jobs are there, and the jobs are more or less meaningless. All they are is a thing you equip that gets you access to like 5 abilities you wouldn't otherwise have.

It's like, the conjurer is basically just a white mage, but you don't get to be called a white mage and get your 5 extra abilities until you do the quest. It's just a weird implementation. Plus it brings up potential stat issues for the arcanist, because if you max MND to be a scholar later that's cool, but if you want to be a SMN then your stats are suboptimal.

Plus, if they add new jobs like Samurai they will have to add new level 1 class precursors that use a katana or whatever. If they ever add another job that branches off say Marauder, then if you're already a level 50 MRD then you will already have the new job at level 50, which isn't really fun IMO.

All in all, I think when they decided to remake the game they'd have been better off replacing all the base jobs with the advanced ones so you just start out as white mage, black mage, warrior, etc. and made some of the special ones advanced jobs that work just like ffxi advanced jobs, but hey, it's not my game.

The specializations analogy doesn't really work since ONLY the arcanist has 2 choices. Everybody else is just a Warrior by any other name until they unlock Warrior and become what they already were, but with a different name and a couple other abilities.

It's not something that's going to keep me from playing it, but it's a super bizarre implementation.

The stat issue is not a thing, there will be a method to reset your stats with a 24 hour limit.

The specialization thing does still work because as a Warrior you are locked into Warrior type abilities (even from your sub class) so you no longer have the versatility that the Marauder class offers with access to things like Cure.

The idea is not to switch to the Job and then never use the Class again, it's to switch back and forth depending on the situation. (Mostly between Soloing and Grouping)

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I like the new system. Makes it fun and easy to try everything out and figure out what you want to do.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Yeah. Making a choice about how you'll play a game for hours and hours (days?) is kind of silly when you haven't played the game at all yet.

Switching still takes a time commitment in terms of leveling and getting good gear, but at least the option is there.

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    Nvm. Read things in the previous page of the thread. Still, this shit is dumb.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
This discussion has been closed.