As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Digital Privacy -- Where to start?

kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
edited August 2013 in Games and Technology
I have become increasingly more interested in digital (specifically "online") privacy, as I would hope an increasing number of Americans have in light of all the recent headlines regarding NSA wiretapping, the mass exposure of login data from major data holders, and the prevalence of social networking and corporate data collection. It's a very interesting time to be online (isn't it always?).

I am not interested in data privacy for nefarious, illegal or immoral reasons, I would just like to learn more: from social implications of privacy, to trends in data collection, to protecting yourself from thieves / criminals and would greatly appreciate it if anyone who has pursued a similar interest could share any resources that they've discovered. I also work in Enterprise IT, so protecting my users / infrastructure from data exposure is an important aspect of my career.

So far I have found the following:

Books
Silence on the Wire: A Field Guide to Passive Reconnaissance and Indirect Attacks
Delete: The Virtue of Forgetting in the Digital Age

Websites / Blogs
The EFF's Deeplinks Blog
Wired's Threatlevel

Coursework
Berkman Online Lectures & Discussions (BOLD) -- PRIVACY IN CYBERSPACE

kingmetal on