As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mechwarrior Online] ABANDON THREAD - FUSION REACTOR CRITICAL

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Im not going to pull a knee jerk and denounce MWO just because they put in 3rd person. Lets see how this plays out.

kx3klFE.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Someone on the official forum also pointed out what a hilariously bad idea it was to make F4 the default key to change views.

Yeeeeah my armlock toggle key is set to left Alt.

WHAT COULD GO WRONG

Your mistake is using armlock.

Not really. I will maintain until the day I die that it's more efficient to keep your torso and arm guns synced until you need to move the arms separately, at which point you just do that because the arms will move basically instantaneously to their max separation once you turn arm lock off.

I have watched so many perspectives of people without it trying to get the arms to skew around to the target along with the torso and it's just not happening and they can't get enough shots off before they die.

Turning arm lock off constantly just reduces your accuracy and ability to pinpoint people while maybe giving you a slight edge in a minority of situations. It's not worth it.

I have one big gripe about using a key for arm lock, and that it isn't a toggle. I would leave it one all the time if it was an actual toggle, because I frequently switch between mechs where having the arm lock on is good and having the arm lock off is bad. Having to hold the key is very annoying to me, because I want to be able actively turn it completely off or completely on with a quick button press, like missile doors.

Also... The next night im on will be REVENGE OF THE ULTRACAT!!!™®©

That 15% jam rate sounds soooooo good.

Also, streaks on my JM6-A again! Maybe theyll be better now.

kx3klFE.png
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Amidst all of the sturm und drang on the official forum right now there is actually a fair point: whether or not 3PV is truly useful, PGI did give their word that people using 3PV would be in a separate queue and nobody would ever be forced to play against people who use 3PV. Now they appear to have completely broken that promise without a word of explanation, and in fact made 3PV the default option for everybody.

(And if browser settings teach us anything, it's that the majority of people never bother to or learn how to change default settings. Ironically 3PV as implemented could end up being a small advantage for experienced players, if only to be used briefly to peek over hills and such, while at the same time UTTERLY SCREWING OVER newbies.)

People who feel strongly about 3PV being in the game have a right to be upset by this. It's simply very poor form to violate players' trust in such a cavalier fashion, but sadly not too surprising considering PGI's history of inept community relations.

I think you guys are forgetting about Hardcore mode.

3PV is default in that it is automatically selected (like arm lock and throttle decay) and the mixture of 3PV/1PV is the default queue you're put in. If you don't want to play against people that can use 3PV, just switch to the hardcore queue which is 1PV only. Honestly, though, once you try out 3PV, you'll be delighted to play against people using it.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Amidst all of the sturm und drang on the official forum right now there is actually a fair point: whether or not 3PV is truly useful, PGI did give their word that people using 3PV would be in a separate queue and nobody would ever be forced to play against people who use 3PV. Now they appear to have completely broken that promise without a word of explanation, and in fact made 3PV the default option for everybody.

(And if browser settings teach us anything, it's that the majority of people never bother to or learn how to change default settings. Ironically 3PV as implemented could end up being a small advantage for experienced players, if only to be used briefly to peek over hills and such, while at the same time UTTERLY SCREWING OVER newbies.)

People who feel strongly about 3PV being in the game have a right to be upset by this. It's simply very poor form to violate players' trust in such a cavalier fashion, but sadly not too surprising considering PGI's history of inept community relations.

3PV is default in that it is automatically selected (like arm lock and throttle decay) and the mixture of 3PV/1PV is the default queue you're put in. If you don't want to play against people that can use 3PV, just switch to the hardcore queue which is 1PV only. Honestly, though, once you try out 3PV, you'll be delighted to play against people using it.

Um, @DaMoonRulz, bro, what people are upset about is that the patch notes give no indication that the promised Hardcore mode is going to actually exist as promised. That's the entire issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nf-uET0oCUc

Oh god. BB Wolfe trying to do a Japanese accent is....embarrassing.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I think we are again blowing up over 3pv but if they left how it was in the beta it won't be that bad. Sure they get a small fov bonus to the sides and front but not really the back. No map. No ability to turn off arm lock. And the position above the head isn't crazy good anyway.

Let us see how it actually plays out before we start decrying it as the end of all things.

u7stthr17eud.png

Um, @DaMoonRulz, bro, what people are upset about is that the patch notes give no indication that the promised Hardcore mode is going to actually exist as promised. That's the entire issue.

Yeah, I noticed, and I just figured I'd wait for the patch before getting myself all worked up in a tizzy because maybe they forgot to include hardcore mode in the patch notes. It would hardly be the first time changes have been left out of the patch notes.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    For the record I'm mostly upset by two things:

-Inclusion of 3PV even though the vast majority of the community is against it.

-The initial promise of having separate 1PV/3PV queues when 3PV came out with now no indication that that is actually happening.

Seems like PGI is both sort if ignoring the active community and actively lying about stuff.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Someone on the official forum also pointed out what a hilariously bad idea it was to make F4 the default key to change views.

Yeeeeah my armlock toggle key is set to left Alt.

WHAT COULD GO WRONG

Your mistake is using armlock.

Not really. I will maintain until the day I die that it's more efficient to keep your torso and arm guns synced until you need to move the arms separately, at which point you just do that because the arms will move basically instantaneously to their max separation once you turn arm lock off.

I have watched so many perspectives of people without it trying to get the arms to skew around to the target along with the torso and it's just not happening and they can't get enough shots off before they die.

Turning arm lock off constantly just reduces your accuracy and ability to pinpoint people while maybe giving you a slight edge in a minority of situations. It's not worth it.

I just work the opposite way round, turning on arm lock when I deem it necessary. It's definitely made me a shoddier aim at distance when I'm not using it. Gonna have to play a bunch of arm-y mechs and ban myself from using it to get back to previous mediocrity.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm not going to be worried about the lack of a separate queue because it seems to me like it's basically a suicide button for anything but peeking over ridges. Hopefully we'll get a mode where you can't even do the latter any more, but in the meantime, I think I'll appreciate being able to not get mauled by PPC + gauss any time I want to have some notion of where the enemy is. For the moment, it looks like something that will cool down the sniping metagame a bit more, which the game needs anyway.

But yeah, obviously PGI can't find its ass with both hands, or else we wouldn't even have this mode that nobody really wanted. Do have to keep in mind that the people who don't really want it already play the game, and PGI does have a right/obligation to get as many players as they can to make as much money as they can. Regardless of how that affects the gameplay, there are solid reasons for PGI to do something like this, even though PGI tends to have crappy reasons for doing most things.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Who cares about third person, they nerfed machine guns! This is a direct act of war!

• TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    With the LBX and Streak changes, I think it's time to change up my zombie CN9-A. I suck at torso twisting anyway.

CN9-A: LBX-10 (2t), 3xSSRM2 (1t), 2xML, FF, ES, DHS (10), STD245

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    For the record I'm mostly upset by two things:

-Inclusion of 3PV even though the vast majority of the community is against it.

-The initial promise of having separate 1PV/3PV queues when 3PV came out with now no indication that that is actually happening.

Seems like PGI is both sort if ignoring the active community and actively lying about stuff.

The crux there being the word "seems". Why not wait and actually see before working oneself into aforementioned tizz.

Also there was sound reasoning behind the inclusion of 3rd person view. As much as most of us hate to believe it does really seem that new players will benefit from third person view. Once players get used to the way mechs move and they realise that they're gimping themselves a bunch by using it they'll switch over to 1PV. If they don't, then we shall laugh and chew their unusable mechs to pieces.

Yeah, why are you mad about the inclusion of a feature that lets you spot enemy snipers hiding behind hills all the way across the map?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I might try a 5 streak Golden Boy now.

Because it would be hilarious and let me up the lasers in the arms.

u7stthr17eud.png
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, this implementation of 3PV strikes me as an entirely reasonable method of helping the uninitiated develop a natural awareness of mech movement and orientation; these two things vary wildly from practically any other game out there, and can very well be intimidating for somebody who just shows up to try the game out.

But more than likely, anyone hanging around to develop any aptitude for the game will turn it off before long, as being able to aim well is a foundational element of higher-level gameplay. Running by enemies to scatter an alpha payload across their front torso just won't cut it when they're going to be slicing pieces off of your mech at the same time.

EDIT: Login is back up, by the way. Time to patch and see how this 3PV shakes out.

Ninja Snarl P on
    Yeah, why are you mad about the inclusion of a feature that lets you spot enemy snipers hiding behind hills all the way across the map?

Because it lets you spot enemy snipers hiding behind hills all the way across the map.

Also, it could let the enemy snipers spot YOU better from all the way across the map.

Most people didn't want 3PV originally because they believed it would give an unfair advantage expressly because it increases your field of vision and lets you see things you wouldn't be able to see in the cockpit.

Then when 3PV was on test, most of us were reassured (I think) that the field of view is really not very good.

Basically a lot of us feel that third-person takes away from the entire sim-like ethos of the game, and that there shouldn't be advantages/incentives to using it.

Based on test I am not convinced yet 3PV will be very useful for actual gameplay at all and I am still hoping it isn't. I am more torqued off right now by the apparent broken promise about separate queues/modes.

As someone who has actually used 3pv in the tests: It made me seasick. I couldn't hit shit because of the way the reticle jumps all of the place. I had LESS situational awareness because I didn't have a minimap. As a Dragon pilot, I'm fucked if I can't move my arms. And most importantly I was broadcasting my position to just about everyone on the map.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited August 2013
    Servers are back up.

There is a button for Hardcore mode.

Which is grayed out.

Gaslight on
    With 3PV: If they can see you, you can see them.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Oh, machine guns. It was good while it lasted...

sXXjb1B.png

Well, you can see the red light on their little camera drone maybe.

Well, you can see the red light on their little camera drone maybe.

Yeah, that's what they're using to look at you

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    When I was starting out third person was definitely a thing that I wished for. You get acclimated to just the cockpit view quickly enough that it doesn't seem like a big deal though. I would appreciate a functional way to look behind you though (seriously contemporary cars can have rearview cams but mechs can't?), and it seems like if they just removed the reticle in third person it'd be fine.

I don't really feel like it will cut down on sniping though, since snipers can use it just as easily to spot you as you can to spot them. If anything more visibility seems likely to wind up making people more tentative.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited August 2013
    Just tried 3PV on testing grounds and holy crap would you have to be nuts to use 3PV in combat. Like, actually insane. No way is it going to be replacing 1PV anytime ever for serious combat.

Also, new medium torso pitch gives you crazy high/low angles for torso-mounted weapons, compared to other classes. It's a HUGE range now; my torso-mounted Blackjack lasers now traverse fully as far up and down as the arm-mounted ones, which is a pretty massive change.
    I don't really feel like it will cut down on sniping though, since snipers can use it just as easily to spot you as you can to spot them. If anything more visibility seems likely to wind up making people more tentative.

I have to disagree completely. They'll only be able to see your camera drone, not shoot you through a hilltop; if you can see a sniper peeking over a hill with the camera and they can see you peeking over the hill to see them, then you get the advantage because you are seeing them without getting shot. That lets you get away without getting pounded by sniper fire, which means you're definitely coming out ahead.

Ninja Snarl P on
    I think they forgot to activate a couple of things. The Phoenix colors are supposed to be available for use now, but they aren't.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Servers are back up.

Which is grayed out.

Hah! I caught your edit. And im not reserving judgement for hardcore mode. I think separate queues are silly. And it kinda makes me sad they are making 2 queues when its hard enough to find a good match.
    3rd person is there as an entry way into the game for a generation of players that cant focus more than 2 minutes to learn a new game that doesnt play like call of halo gears of duty 9. They need players to keep the game alive and pandering to a vocal, yet small minority of players would be a poor decision on their part.

kx3klFE.png
    When I was starting out third person was definitely a thing that I wished for. You get acclimated to just the cockpit view quickly enough that it doesn't seem like a big deal though. I would appreciate a functional way to look behind you though (seriously contemporary cars can have rearview cams but mechs can't?)

I've said it before, but if any MechWarrior game actually tried to implement the 360-degree viewstrip from the novels I would squee like an 11 year old girl at a One Direction concert.

• ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any good builds for the Quickdraw 4G? I'm struggling to find something that works... it's just too slow to be a good hit 'n' run mech, even with a gigantic XL engine and 7 JJs. Taking an XL to a brawl is suicide, and not taking one limits me to either few weapons or slow speed/jumps. Ideas?

8R7BtLw.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    heckels wrote: »
    I hate to be picky but I didn't see our anthem in the op..

Oh whoops, that was just a legit mistake. I'll get that fixed! Thanks for catching that!
    I also don't see the Oosik quatrain I worked so hard on when I was bored at work with a free half hour
    I don't have that saved anywhere. You should just collect all your Oosik poetry so we can archive it for future generations.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited August 2013
    Servers are back up.

Which is grayed out.

Hah! I caught your edit.

My pre-edit post was correct, there is no separate queueing or hardcore mode. I edited it to be totally fair to PGI.
    And im not reserving judgement for hardcore mode. I think separate queues are silly. And it kinda makes me sad they are making 2 queues when its hard enough to find a good match.

3rd person is there as an entry way into the game for a generation of players that cant focus more than 2 minutes to learn a new game that doesnt play like call of halo gears of duty 9. They need players to keep the game alive and pandering to a vocal, yet small minority of players would be a poor decision on their part.

Whether or not 3PV is any good, whether or not separate queues are good, the fact is they told us people would never be forced to play against those using 3PV and they broke that promise. I can understand why people are upset. There is no good reason to trust the word of PGI devs at this point.

And if those against 3PV were a "vocal, yet small minority" then the theoretical group of people who were for it were virtually invisible.

Gaslight on
    You said yourself that there's a button for hardcore mode, which is the 1PV only mode. Yes, it's greyed out at the moment, but the Phoenix colors aren't unlocked either.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Also, new medium torso pitch gives you crazy high/low angles for torso-mounted weapons, compared to other classes. It's a HUGE range now; my torso-mounted Blackjack lasers now traverse fully as far up and down as the arm-mounted ones, which is a pretty massive change.

I'm an idiot, because I was testing the new pitch in 3PV, which locks arm lock to be "on". Still, the changes are noticeable.

The new camo is certainly...different.
    Oosik:
    986aea7b-e83a-4a48-a3e2-528a73a261b9_zps409df733.jpg
    Black, Black, Light Blue
    51f85ed1-c683-4be9-a60b-e08618d36903_zpsd2c36087.jpg
    LIght Blue, Black, Black
    dfe92422-43be-4b67-ac7e-36987ed476c4_zpsd1b68cb6.jpg
    Black, LIght Blue, Black
    e99e530b-7199-496d-ab2b-c3cd2b58575e_zps0b07db9e.jpg

3basnids3lf9.jpg

They should've just named it "Unshiny Cobra"

3basnids3lf9.jpg

You said yourself that there's a button for hardcore mode, which is the 1PV only mode. Yes, it's greyed out at the moment, but the Phoenix colors aren't unlocked either.

The promise that people would "never" be forced to play against those in 3PV has still been broken nevertheless. And there is no word at all on when, if ever, the Hardcore mode will be functional. Best guess is it comes with Community Warfare...which there is no real timeline for besides "Some indefinite point (long) after release."

edited August 2013

I'm an idiot, because I was testing the new pitch in 3PV, which locks arm lock to be "on". Still, the changes are noticeable.

But even being noticeable, it only gives you something like a 25% pitch angle advantage, which is still marginal. The vast majority of the time, if you'll be able to reach them with everything in your medium, they'll probably still be able to hit at least your legs.

So the Medium quirks are there and do something, but it's probably pretty irrelevant.

EDIT: I couldn't give two craps about a separate matchmaking queue, because the current one is already crap and another queue would do nothing but the split the population in a bad way. Plus, people running with the 3PV are going to get absolutely mangled, so it's not like they're going to have any real advantage besides dying quicker because people know they're easy meat.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    They seriously buffed the UAC/5? Lolfuckingwhat? They were fine before but ok! I look forward to our new Ultra AC/5 overlords!

Is anyone else concerned that their fix for the AC/2 was to "address a timing issue?" This could very well mean that the ghost heat wasn't a bug at all.

3rd Person? Eh, whatever.

And finally: Jesus, this is all they had for this patch and we've only got one more before launch. This is not good.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Servers are back up.

Which is grayed out.

Hah! I caught your edit.

My pre-edit post was correct, there is no separate queueing or hardcore mode. I edited it to be totally fair to PGI.
    And im not reserving judgement for hardcore mode. I think separate queues are silly. And it kinda makes me sad they are making 2 queues when its hard enough to find a good match.

Whether or not 3PV is any good, whether or not separate queues are good, the fact is they told us people would never be forced to play against those using 3PV and they broke that promise. I can understand why people are upset. There is no good reason to trust the word of PGI devs at this point.

And if those against 3PV were a "vocal, yet small minority" then the theoretical group of people who were for it were virtually invisible.

The vast majority of people that play this game are the silent majority, and i bet they dont really care one way or the other. The minority are the loudest complainers on videogame forums.

Im not going to be butthurt at being lied to about a feature being implemented in a game. Things change, the game evolves, whatever. The 3rd person view gives zero advantage to the player. Im good with that.

kx3klFE.png